Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Apparently, for the Final Fantasy CCG, Green Mages use Water Spells.

We don't have a Water Job.

Green Mage uses Splash! It's Super Effective!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

I mean green mage fits ff theming fine? Nature themed magic is all over the series. It might not be under that exact name or contained in one class but itd still work fine

I think nature theming fits FF theming fine. (I mean 14 has Conjurer already.) I just don't think "we're doing Green Mage" is inherently tied in any way to "it will have nature magic" besides color. There's also Geomancer almost certainly coming down the line at some point and even in FF14 terms that uses elemental magic too. (Just with barriers and such worked in). It feels weird to me that if they wanted to go for a themed class based around nature they wouldn't go for the class that is literally based around that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 6, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

theres plenty of caster gear that isnt robes idk where this weird meme suddenly formed from. feels very reddit.

Yeah and even outside of caster specific gear you people do know all classes can glam all class gear right?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Vitamean posted:

Personally, my two main problems with robes are that I like having to consider the pants and footwear parts of my outfit which robes hide, and I also just don't like how physics affect them on large, exaggerated movements like sliding down the waterfall in Rabinastre or just, jumping around.

I think race has a lot to do with it, too. If you're a lalafell wearing robes just accentuates the fact that your basic shape is "turnip."

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ImpAtom posted:

I think nature theming fits FF theming fine. (I mean 14 has Conjurer already.) I just don't think "we're doing Green Mage" is inherently tied in any way to "it will have nature magic" besides color.

Conjurer is a hard sell for nature theming, outside of the lore. Aesthetically it's just Earth and Wind spells in practice.

There's a lot of untouched space they can use if they went with nature itself. A few of Nophica's spells fit the aesthetic as an example, but there's plenty of room to branch out.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

but there's plenty of room to branch out.

Nice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Conjurer is a hard sell for nature theming, outside of the lore. Aesthetically it's just Earth and Wind spells in practice.

There's a lot of untouched space they can use if they went with nature itself. A few of Nophica's spells fit the aesthetic as an example, but there's plenty of room to branch out.

It certainly isn't as far as it could go (thus why I think Geomancer still has plenty of room to shine) but Conjurer->White Mage is the class that uses Earth, Wind and Water spells and both gathers and creates flowers for both attack and defense. It's pretty drat nature themed. Even in the most recent expansion where the class has been trending towards Holy Magic they still added a new water spell (Aquaveil) and a new magic flower you can grow to heal.

But as it stands it feels hard for me to buy that they would go for Green Mage as a nature-themed magic over Geomancer, while I can absolutely buy Green Mage as a magic-Dancer type.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

It's worth noting that while CNJ/WHM is also nature themed, that's a healing job and not a DPS job. By that logic we shouldn't have both DRK and RPR either since they're both void-themed jobs.

Personally I'm hoping that we are indeed getting a nature-themed Green Mage job, because it fits my character perfectly. Bonus points if it's got some sort of druid-style transformation mechanic.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
DRK isn't void themed.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ok fine, we shouldn't have Gunbreaker and Machinist. Is that better?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I also think people latched onto the nature theme because Dawntrail looks like it's going to have a lot wilderness and overgrowth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

quiggy posted:

Aside from having the word 'gun' in the name Gunbreaker is nothing like Machinist. (And the Gun in the name is canonically not even the word gun!)

Veev posted:

I also think people latched onto the nature theme because Dawntrail looks like it's going to have a lot wilderness and overgrowth.

Honestly that's pretty reasonable. Last expansion was Shar and Gar jobs, one before that was Bozja and .. okay, Dancer doesn't really fit but still. One before that was Ala Mhigo and Kugane.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

quiggy posted:

They're not particularly related either. One uses a sword powered by magic fuel cells, and one has a gun, a gadget, and a robot.

Though I agree with your point. You can have similar themes within different roles without stepping on jobs' toes.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ziddar posted:

Excellent choice in armor, friend!
HELL yeah,high five

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Veev posted:

They also called out when talking about Tuliyollal (I can't wait until I can remember where the double-l goes without looking it up) that it's less industrial and more in tune with nature than where we've been, so a nature themed Job is certainly appropriate.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm just latching onto the clover because it is the only thing thus far where we can actually build a solid link to something else.

The TMNT shirt is something that you can argue in multiple directions. The clover, on the other hand, has appeared on Green Mage outfits before.

I feel like explaining it away as something else is doing more work than just going with the most obvious answer.

We know Krile is getting a new job. Krile gets a clover pendant. The clover pendant has been associated with Green Mage in the past. Ipso facto, Krile will be a green mage in Dawntrail.

As for what a green mage might play like, who knows. I'm leaning nature, but it could be anything.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Green Mage focuses on stinky spells like Bio. The TMNT shirt was a reference to how the turtles live in a sewer. Their lb3 will be dropping a large version of the boss from arboretum hard on top of things.

Edit: Every job quest requires collecting poop.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mordiceius posted:

The clover, on the other hand, has appeared on Green Mage outfits before.

That pluralization of "outfits" is doing a lot of lifting that I can't find any credence for.

The only time I can see it anywhere is on the very corner of the cloak of the job art for them in TA2 (if you're referencing the FFTCG card as a separate instance, this is the same art).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

That pluralization of "outfits" is doing a lot of lifting that I can't find any credence for.

The only time I can see it anywhere is on the very corner of the cloak of the job art for them in TA2 (if you're referencing the FFTCG card as a separate instance, this is the same art).

Green Mage has basically only been in TA2 and things spun off from TA2.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'm aware. I'm just saying that "CLOVER = GREEN MAGE!!!!!" is spurious as hell when the only link that has is this:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Onean posted:

They also called out when talking about Tuliyollal (I can't wait until I can remember where the double-l goes without looking it up) that it's less industrial and more in tune with nature than where we've been, so a nature themed Job is certainly appropriate.

And the 'Look at these plants! Our team worked very hard on the plants in Dawntrail, please look forward to it' (paraphrasing, but not by much)

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm aware. I'm just saying that "CLOVER = GREEN MAGE!!!!!" is spurious as hell when the only link that has is this:

I wouldn't call it spurious exactly...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheWorldsaStage posted:

And the 'Look at these plants! Our team worked very hard on the plants in Dawntrail, please look forward to it' (paraphrasing, but not by much)

Ah yes the Much-better-than-usual Plants

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'm sorta reminded of how chemist was all but confirmed in the 5.3 msq

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Vitamean posted:

I'm sorta reminded of how chemist was all but confirmed in the 5.3 msq

No for sure there are definitely parallels you can draw to that exact instance. That's why I'm coaching everything I say about green mage as 'absolutely not definitely'! I'm hopeful and a lot of stuff works if it's true but it's also making me feel like Charlie in the mail room a lil'

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

They're not particularly related either. One uses a sword powered by magic fuel cells, and one has a gun, a gadget, and a robot.

Though I agree with your point. You can have similar themes within different roles without stepping on jobs' toes.

one builds guns and the other breaks them. the eternal cycles

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Historically, Red Mage is just sort of a jack-of-all trades that can use white and black magic while also being okay with weapons, FF14 contextualizes "Red Magic" into a particular style/discipline of how you cast spells.

I could see Green being something similar, a style of casting that leans into the nature themes White Mage has slowly given up. Sure, WHM still has some aspects of nature (lilies) but has basically dropped all the water/wind/earth magic.

The question is also: If not Green Mage, then what? The next best theory is probably Painter, and I don't think the arguments for history or connections are any stronger then they are for GRN. Painter is basically in one game, and exists in that as "uses enemy attacks" IIRC. It would require just as much reimagining/spin as GRN.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Historically, Red Mage is just sort of a jack-of-all trades that can use white and black magic while also being okay with weapons, FF14 contextualizes "Red Magic" into a particular style/discipline of how you cast spells.

I could see Green being something similar, a style of casting that leans into the nature themes White Mage has slowly given up. Sure, WHM still has some aspects of nature (lilies) but has basically dropped all the water/wind/earth magic.

They literally gave WHM a new water move this expansion.

Oxyclean posted:

The question is also: If not Green Mage, then what? The next best theory is probably Painter, and I don't think the arguments for history or connections are any stronger then they are for GRN. Painter is basically in one game, and exists in that as "uses enemy attacks" IIRC. It would require just as much reimagining/spin as GRN.

Pictomancer is also in Bravely Default 2 where it splashes different colors of paint for different negative effects.

I will say Pictomancer also has the potential selling point of the big Primal for this expansion being Valigarmanda which is a FF6 ref. It being a Krile job and "Cat-Eared Hood" being a Pictomancer-exclusive piece of gear also stands out, but far from definitive proof.

Not saying it's assured, but I feel Pictomancer, Geomancer or Green Mage are the only choices unless it's something hugely unpredictable. The Geomancer issue is that it doesn't fit the T-shirt hint, Green Mage and Pictomancer do, so I honestly feel like those two are the only real choices.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 6, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Which is still more of a link that we can form for any other possible class. I mean, it could totally be something other than Green Mage, but anything else would have to stretch ideas further than Clover -> Green Mage.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
There's nothing that means the earring is job related either though. It could just be a mcguffin or a symbol for whatever faction Krile's Krew is going to end up repping.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Gonna be real funny when everyone ends up wrong and we get a caster with a turtle familiar

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Yshtola has water spells a part of her BLM rotation

I just finished the new extreme, it was my first one ever and got it within a few hours if that's any indication of difficulty. btw pretty much everyone I talk to says that I should go to Aether for PF, that's where everyone goes recently since Primal basically turned into a wasteland overnight. Is there a story behind this? I did notice that PF doesn't look as full up as when the last Savage tier was current

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Arzaac posted:

Gonna be real funny when everyone ends up wrong and we get a caster with a turtle familiar

It's just Summoner but your carbuncle is now a turtle

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ah, you poor simple minded fools. Clover on the outfit, eh?

The new class is obvious! FFTactics Advance 2 Protag if you didn't know.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

There's nothing that means the earring is job related either though. It could just be a mcguffin or a symbol for whatever faction Krile's Krew is going to end up repping.

Totally valid as well. We'll likely find out in two weeks though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Doomykins posted:

Again 3 and 4 are different numbers

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Everytime I see this outfit I find something new to be annoyed about. Is that a ladybug on his belt

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

quiggy posted:

It's just Summoner but your carbuncle is now a turtle

SMN II! Plays exactly like SMN but you get a turtle instead of carbuncle and your 3 gems are Leviathan, Ramuh, and Shiva.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Leal posted:

Everytime I see this outfit I find something new to be annoyed about. Is that a ladybug on his belt

Oh thank god it isn't just me. I stared at it for a good three minutes just seeing things and asking why

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh poo poo.

Has a clover?
Cat ear hood?
White magic?

Obviously SEER is the next job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

God Hole posted:

Yshtola has water spells a part of her BLM rotation

She's not technically a BLM; she's basically a 1.0 conjurer but is listed as Sorceress, and uses all 6 elements if I recall.