Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean, it's perfectly valid to have watched s1 and gone "yknow, not for me." And I even had plenty of quibbles with last night's episode. But I don't know how someone watches last night's episode and dislikes it unless they just, like, don't like genre fantasy period.

I'm sure there are people out there with perfectly valid reasons for disliking that finale, I'm just having a hard time imagining what those reasons could be.

Let me preface with saying I haven't watched the new season yet: I'm not watching genre fantasy though, I'm watching Wheel of Time. Not in the sense that Wheel of Time is somehow inherently superior to other genre fantasy, but what I'm looking for is "WoT on TV" with it's characters, storylines, quirks, foibles, and whatever. And, theoretically for the second season, if I feel like I'm not getting that, the show loses a lot of points. If I'm promised a red bed I want and get handed a pink pullout couch, I'm going to have an issue with that.

nine-gear crow posted:

People on the internet pin their whole egos on trying to be smarter than TV shows and it's just really insufferable and embarrassing. Like who honestly gives a poo poo? If the show's dumb the show's dumb, I'm not gonna let it hobble my enjoyment unless it actively pisses in my mouth like something like Picard Season 3 did with its Borg Cum poo poo plot.
For the most part, I think a show being dumb is it actively pissing in my mouth, and I don't see any reason why I should try to convince myself to like a show I don't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RandomReader posted:

For the most part, I think a show being dumb is it actively pissing in my mouth, and I don't see any reason why I should try to convince myself to like a show I don't like.

The comment you quoted is in reference to S2 which you haven't watched

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

The comment you quoted is in reference to S2 which you haven't watched

lol yeah what the gently caress. "I don't see any reason to force myself to try and like this show I actually haven't even watched yet :lofty:"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The show is so bad I didn't watch to know if it was bad is a pretty standard level of internet discourse these days

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

nine-gear crow posted:

lol yeah what the gently caress. "I don't see any reason to force myself to try and like this show I actually haven't even watched yet :lofty:"
It doesn't matter whether S2 is dumb or not for the point I was making, and I didn't say I thought it was dumb. "If the show is dumb, I won't like it" applies in either situation.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mutha Truckers 2 posted:

The show is so bad I didn't watch to know if it was bad is a pretty standard level of internet discourse these days

"So angry bundle of neck hair told me not to like this show, so I will now make not like this show that I have not watched my entire personality for a year until the neck hair tells me what else not to like."

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

nine-gear crow posted:

"So angry bundle of neck hair told me not to like this show, so I will now make not like this show that I have not watched my entire personality for a year until the neck hair tells me what else not to like."
Would you prefer I act like your strawman? Cause sorry, but I can't be that guy for you. I don't know which neckbeard you're referring, I thought season 1 was a dry fart all on my own :grin:, and I haven't decided whether or not season 2 redeemed the show in my eyes, given the whole "haven't seen it yet" thing. In the meantime, feel free to bite me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RandomReader posted:

Would you prefer I act like your strawman? Cause sorry, but I can't be that guy for you. I don't know which neckbeard you're referring, I thought season 1 was a dry fart all on my own :grin:, and I haven't decided whether or not season 2 redeemed the show in my eyes, given the whole "haven't seen it yet" thing. In the meantime, feel free to bite me.

Sorry that wasn't actually directed at you specifically, but whatever. I hope you enjoy the show whenever you get around to watching it, or at least have the sense to just bail on it if you start feeling it's not for you rather than torture yourself with it all the way to the end like a lot of folks here seem keen to do. Best of luck, either way.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

RandomReader posted:

You literally made a throwaway account to complain about the show, and have been using it consistently for two years.

I don't even think I have to add a pithy remark to that statement.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

nine-gear crow posted:

Sorry that wasn't actually directed at you specifically, but whatever. I hope you enjoy the show whenever you get around to watching it, or at least have the sense to just bail on it if you start feeling it's not for you rather than torture yourself with it all the way to the end like a lot of folks here seem keen to do. Best of luck, either way.
My bad then. Anyway, I'm interested enough in arguments/discussions in these threads to at least intend to start and finish season 2 to keep up with the context, considering it the price of admission. Well, eventually start and finish it. At some point. Someday.

Skyl3lazer posted:

You literally made a throwaway account to complain about the show, and have been using it consistently for two years.

I don't even think I have to add a pithy remark to that statement.
... Oh right, that guy/exchange. Some guy in these threads said I did that, but this is my honest to god account, I made it to post in a completely unrelated thread, and oh good god please tell me it hasn't actually been 2 years what the poo poo. Who has the money or the little sense to spend 10 bucks on a throwaway account? There are a bajillion free places to complain instead.

RandomReader fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 6, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I just don't think it's very fun heroic fantasy. it's a season with arcs that are all build and then a disappointing payoff (rand, nynaeve, ishamael, I'd also put moiraine and lan here along with liandrin and alanna) or arcs that are excruciating builds with decent finales (mat, perrin). I don't think it even needs big changes just like. spend a beat longer on rand and the kneeling corpses, and maybe make that scene a little more hosed up and otherworldly. let nynaeve being frustrated at her inability to channel be a big moment in itself, since in this season her failure is her build's payoff. rewrite how the collar and bracelet work a little so egwene's finale doesn't seem to conflict with what episode 6 says about their operation, and doesn't make overcoming magical slavery just a matter of willingness to endure pain.

or don't do any of that, and shuffle all those characters to the side and do the egwene and lanfear show, which would genuinely be really fun! those two have very satisfying and natural arcs over the season. but the approach to the rest of the characters feels a little checkbox-y to me in how it's paced.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Turin Turambar posted:

Characters finding each other just in time

if this really bothers you I would recommend avoiding like any action movie or drama in general lol

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Oh, I didn't even notice that. Thanks for pointing that out so I can yeet that poster from subjective reality.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

CainFortea posted:

Oh, I didn't even notice that. Thanks for pointing that out so I can yeet that poster from subjective reality.
... Well I guess being completely misinterpreted comes with some benefits.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

CainFortea posted:

the forsaken show watchers, sealed in shayol ghul until the wheel turns.
-alt who only posts in the wot threads
-raisin avatar
-weird British guy who posts like he’s drunk
-???

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

buffalo all day posted:

-raisin avatar
-???
Right, you're the fucker. Eat poo poo for telling lies about me, but it had unexpected benefits, so take your time getting around to that poo poo eating.

edit: really not the place for this at all, though. So, uh, on topic, what's do people think is next for the cast, both geographically/plot wise and character directions?

RandomReader fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 6, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

buffalo all day posted:

-raisin avatar
-???

This thread is the Darkfriend Social, I'm sorry you had to find out this way :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also mildly hilarious that it's the Book Barn thread of all places that is more up on the show than the TVIV one. You'd think it would be transposed.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

buffalo all day posted:

Is this not literally every British person?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

RandomReader posted:

Right, you're the fucker. Eat poo poo for telling lies about me, but it had unexpected benefits, so take your time getting around to that poo poo eating.

:dafuq:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

nine-gear crow posted:

Also mildly hilarious that it's the Book Barn thread of all places that is more up on the show than the TVIV one. You'd think it would be transposed.

I have found over the years that in general people who post in TVIV hate everything they watch

like every time I venture into a thread for an already established piece of media that I just started watching it's just people constantly making GBS threads on it

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

gently caress me, you actually aren't even that guy I thought you were, just putting a dozen of my own feet in my mouth here.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Valentin posted:

I just don't think it's very fun heroic fantasy. it's a season with arcs that are all build and then a disappointing payoff (rand, nynaeve, ishamael, I'd also put moiraine and lan here along with liandrin and alanna) or arcs that are excruciating builds with decent finales (mat, perrin). I don't think it even needs big changes just like. spend a beat longer on rand and the kneeling corpses, and maybe make that scene a little more hosed up and otherworldly. let nynaeve being frustrated at her inability to channel be a big moment in itself, since in this season her failure is her build's payoff. rewrite how the collar and bracelet work a little so egwene's finale doesn't seem to conflict with what episode 6 says about their operation, and doesn't make overcoming magical slavery just a matter of willingness to endure pain.

or don't do any of that, and shuffle all those characters to the side and do the egwene and lanfear show, which would genuinely be really fun! those two have very satisfying and natural arcs over the season. but the approach to the rest of the characters feels a little checkbox-y to me in how it's paced.

I think Renna gave in while she was enduring what was likely a feedback loop of excruciating pain, and when asking for mercy as well egwaine just said nope and let her die.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RandomReader posted:

gently caress me, you actually aren't even that guy I thought you were, just putting a dozen of my own feet in my mouth here.

As one fellow Armored Core fan to another, I'd say we're kind of at the point here where a tactical retreat is in order. Things like this aren't worth continuing to be angry over or pissing other people off in the crossfire, this thread is weird and heated enough as it is sometimes.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Communication issues leading to interpersonal drama? In my Wheel of Time thread?! :monocle:

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Grundulum posted:

Communication issues leading to interpersonal drama? In my Wheel of Time thread?! :monocle:

Life imitating art you say? :hmmyes:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grundulum posted:

ragnarokette posted:

Life imitating art you say? :hmmyes:

I win again, Lews!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014
As someone else who doesn't like the show very much, it's this exact weird hostility toward people who don't like it that has removed any goodwill I might have had toward it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think Renna gave in while she was enduring what was likely a feedback loop of excruciating pain, and when asking for mercy as well egwaine just said nope and let her die.

Yeah that came across pretty easily to me too as well, what with her pleas to Egwene after freeing her

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

arteliad posted:

As someone else who doesn't like the show very much, it's this exact weird hostility toward people who don't like it that has removed any goodwill I might have had toward it.

Fair enough to dislike the show on its own merits but try divorcing your enjoyment of media from the goons that post weirdly about it, friend

I really liked this season a lot more than season 1, but a few meandering plot lines and aforementioned goofy bits like the horn being off screened cheapened it a bit. Another thing that drove me mildly crazy as I watched was the cavalry charge through the smoke somehow being a surprise, wouldn't you hear that from kilometers away?

Edit: I listened to the first audiobook and a half after the first season but my interest thinned halfway through book two. I'm thinking of giving it another shot because, changes and all, I feel like I have a better grasp on what's happening after watching this season.

Does the pace pick up at all in book 3? I know there's an infamous slog in some of the later books but if I make it that far I might be invested already.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 6, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Do you really not understand the difference between "I didn't like it and here is why" and "Its dumb and no I didn't watch it but all complaints against it are valid"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RandomReader posted:

Let me preface with saying I haven't watched the new season yet: I'm not watching genre fantasy though, I'm watching Wheel of Time. Not in the sense that Wheel of Time is somehow inherently superior to other genre fantasy, but what I'm looking for is "WoT on TV" with it's characters, storylines, quirks, foibles, and whatever. And, theoretically for the second season, if I feel like I'm not getting that, the show loses a lot of points. If I'm promised a red bed I want and get handed a pink pullout couch, I'm going to have an issue with that.

That's why I specifically was grounding that comment in response to last night's episode, yeah.

Like, I'm not gonna tell anyone they have to enjoy anything. But the last few episodes have felt like the Wheel of Time, in a big way. Like, we're there a lot of differences and dumb poo poo and weird choices? Sure, yeah. But there was enough recognizable Wheel on screen that I have a hard time imagining someone enjoying the books and not also enjoying those episodes.

I'm sure such people exist I just can't put myself in that headspace to understand them. I don't get it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Vim Fuego posted:

Some people can shake it off

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Tosk posted:

Does the pace pick up at all in book 3? I know there's an infamous slog in some of the later books but if I make it that far I might be invested already.

Trying to not touching the third rail here but imo the series finds itself very quickly into book 2. The first book is mostly LOTR fanfic for various reasons that I think people in this thread have discussed already, if not there's the BB thread. The books own bones though and the slog doesn't kick in until 7-8 depending on who you ask. Even then I think they are tolerable for a first time reader, it's just a lot of stuff that people tend to skip on rereads.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Tosk posted:

Edit: I listened to the first audiobook and a half after the first season but my interest thinned halfway through book two. I'm thinking of giving it another shot because, changes and all, I feel like I have a better grasp on what's happening after watching this season.

My opinion:
Book 1 is a deliberate LOTR knock off. Books 2 and 3 have similar narrative arcs to each other while developing all main characters, but are individually still very good books driving forward the plot. Book 4 is where all the main characters have hit their stride and the overall plot starts steamrolling. There is the infamous slog - mostly book 10 - however it is quite survivable now that all the books are out.

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014
Sorry, wrong thread.

arteliad fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 6, 2023

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

arteliad posted:

from the books

in the books

during the first 2 books
change

Hi put all of this in TBB and not here, thanks. It's baffling that people are still posting book spoilers and poo poo years later.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

This is the no spoiler thread. You have some in that post.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

that's not really my issue with it. what's neat about the collar and bracelet is the way they genre-fy processes of oppression and colonization. they simply prevent you from translating an intention to do harm to your captor into actual action, standing in for the complex ways that a person's world and thought patterns can be hemmed in and twisted such that violence to one's oppressors becomes a frightening, taboo, or simply impossible thought. that's the whole point of the (compelling!) water jug scene. what they do in this episode breaks that simple but effective piece of genre work in a disappointing way, because there's no real reason she should be able to use the collar and bracelet as a weapon, which she basically does. on a further level that probably isn't worth breaking down here, i find it exceedingly personally and politically distasteful, as well as usually corrosive to the meaning and intent of a work, when e.g. "overcoming" slavery is portrayed as a matter of willpower and personal endurance. what makes the collar and bracelet so good is that they bypass that very tired trope so that the portrayal of slavery can focus on the broader power dynamics between these two individuals in the context of seanchan society and not strength or power levels, and "egwene is simply so cool and driven she can endure the pain better than weak and evil renna" does shade into that a little too much for my taste.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Valentin posted:

that's not really my issue with it. what's neat about the collar and bracelet is the way they genre-fy processes of oppression and colonization. they simply prevent you from translating an intention to do harm to your captor into actual action, standing in for the complex ways that a person's world and mind can be hemmed in and twisted such that violence to one's oppressors becomes a frightening, taboo, or simply impossible thought. that's the whole point of the (compelling!) water jug scene. what they do in this episode breaks that simple but effective piece of genre work in a disappointing way, because there's no real reason she should be able to use the collar and bracelet as a weapon, which she basically does. on a further level that probably isn't worth breaking down here, i find it exceedingly personally and politically distasteful, as well as usually corrosive to the meaning and intent of a work, when e.g. "overcoming" slavery is portrayed as a matter of willpower and personal endurance. what makes the collar and bracelet so good is that they bypass that very tired trope so that the portrayal of slavery can focus on the power dynamics between these two individuals and not strength or power levels, and "egwene is simply so cool and driven she can endure the pain better than weak and evil renna" does shade into that a little too much for my taste.

Ya, it's a horrible trope but I kinda expected it giving the overall writing.

I'm a non-book viewer and I have to say that things are just not connecting for me. This finale really left me cold and I feel there are too many assumptions baked into the show that a viewer who didn't read the book just doesn't share.
The thread here has already revealed more about the broader concept in regards to fights across time and reincarnation than the show has. Too much is left vague and that's a problem because the characters act like they all know what's going on so why aren't we getting that world building?
There is too much stuff that is introduced without any context. The recent new Forsaken are a prime example of this. Guess it's a thing that they could have just "spawned" more of them. Why they didn't or why Ishamael even bothered with Lanfear (especially if she is likely to betray him) is unclear.
Now you can argue that its just setup for next season and if it was just this example I'd be fine with it but it's now two seasons and I still don't feel like I know/understand this world. After two seasons of GoT I had an excellent grip on what was going on. Who the "players" were, the involved factions, what's at stake and how it all relates to each other.
I just don't get it with this show, it's all over the place where people appear and how they interact with each other.

I honestly don't even know what the "death" of Ishamael is supposed to mean. It's unclear to me if that's now a big deal or not, especially with Lanfear and other Forsaken still around and Lanfear's motivations are also just a mystery to me, the show only tells us that they expect betrayal of each other. I have no idea why and how that makes sense considering it was Ishamael who got her in the first place and they don't bother to give us more than that and instead time is spent on campy dialogue between her and Rand which also doesn't tell us anything useful.
They only tease us with a flashback that creates more questions for me than it gives answers and all I see are disconnected pieces that I can't really care about. I can GUESS purely based on meta knowledge what type of character or archetype Ishamael is supposed to be but the show never did enough to explore him so that I actually care about his fate/goals and thus it really takes away from his defeat/death.