Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

ff16 was just a confluence of being too slavishly devoted to trying to recreate ideas from final fantasy tactics, feeling too uncomfortable with the idea of getting as aesthetically weird as ff14 does too often, having a writer who historically always struggles with structuring narrative and character arcs and has a tendency to just throw in characters and ideas without giving them proper development, and the combat design being way too fixated on making every fight this extended minutes long life or death brawl instead of letting you just smash through weak enemies sometimes

finishing up the current ff14 patches yesterday kinda illustrated it for me cause it was also a lot of slow wandering around and talking to random people and it was arguably one of the weaker main story arcs the game has had in a while but like... it was fun. i enjoy being in that game's world and interacting with the random characters in it cause random dialog being unvoiced means i'm not sitting down to listen to every character talk for a couple minutes every time, when characters do have voices it's always for something that feels meaningful and important where i'd care to hear it, and it's, way more willing to present something wacky like an arc that's just "what if golbez from ff4 was just a sad gay dude who needed encouragement from an androgynous demon lady to get over his self-loathing". i feel like the more menial stuff in ff16 just suffers a lot from that game being vastly worse at pacing it out even at its best. the only bits of ff16 i feel really come close to some of the stronger stuff in 14 are the more low-key scenes with characters like gav and dion right at the end and some of clive's personal beats

It's funny because someone in the FFXIV thread was complaining about how little voice acting there was in this patch. It does seem lose/lose at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

FFXVI def be chasing Tactics's vibe and aesthetics to something of a detriment but I never really felt like it was that 'devoted' to recreating its ideas or anything.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

While I don't think it's a fair 1 to 1 comparsion I did find it funny the FF14 6.1 to 6.5 patch cycle was much better about loner in a dark place learning to trust others and believe in friends than FF16 as the Colonel said. Between that and the raid series being a simple but fun story I'm getting hyped for expansion

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

FFXVI def be chasing Tactics's vibe and aesthetics to something of a detriment but I never really felt like it was that 'devoted' to recreating its ideas or anything.

16 has ideas of its own but i feel like in what it takes from tactics it largely has the same odd missteps and, the writer did literally work on tactics, if only in side content that never saw a translation

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

While I don't think it's a fair 1 to 1 comparsion I did find it funny the FF14 6.1 to 6.5 patch cycle was much better about loner in a dark place learning to trust others and believe in friends than FF16 as the Colonel said. Between that and the raid series being a simple but fun story I'm getting hyped for expansion

This was the part of FFXVI's writing I thought was pretty solid tbf.

The Colonel posted:

16 has ideas of its own but i feel like in what it takes from tactics it largely has the same odd missteps and, the writer did literally work on tactics, if only in side content that never saw a translation

Yeah, that's fair. I guess from the trailers and everything I was actually expecting more from Tactics than was actually in the game so i've left it feeling mostly like it was just leaning on it for worldbuilding and setting I guess. Not as much on plot or other aspects of the writing.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I feel like the 6.x stuff has been largely mediocre.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

What are you talking about.

*Pauses, looks downwards, adjusts hat.*

I don't think it was repetitive at all.

*Pauses, looks downwards, adjusts hat.*

Now then if you need me I must learn how another emotion works.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
It snuck up on me but Front Mission 2 comes out tomorrow, and it is in the unique position where this is 1) the only game in the series that did not get localized or fan-translated ever (besides maybe... Front Mission Alternative on the PS1 and some of the cellphone games), and 2) from the era where Squaresoft tried to flex a bit with the animations and gameplay, rather than how Front Mission 1 felt almost like a proof-of-concept SRPG.

You don't really need to play through the first one to understand what happens in 2 I think, but there are some references/characters that show up.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Excited for Front Mission 2. Its the only game in the mainline series I havent played yet. I talked to the publisher's discord person. The gameplay is supposedly more or less identical but the visuals are completely remade. Also it's a brand new translation.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I did not hear remotely positive things about the UI from people that got advance copies. Like basic stuff where it show your range when you're about to attack.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Is the Front Mission 1 remake any good?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

fridge corn posted:

Is the Front Mission 1 remake any good?

It's the same game as Front Mission 1 for Nintendo DS but with 3D graphics.

Personally I prefer the pixel art. DS version is a remaster of the original SNES game so they updated the pixel art and special effects to make it look nicer and more detailed.

If you can, play the DS version or emulate it. That's my opinion.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I guess Compile Heart restructured and got Sega to give them the licence to have Sting make Madou Monogatari 4

What the

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I guess Compile Heart restructured and got Sega to give them the licence to have Sting make Madou Monogatari 4

What the
sting's also making a touhou strategy rpg

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
they should put kosuzu in that game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I hope they're both the 'good' types of sting games and not hyperdevotion noire type

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

I hope they're both the 'good' types of sting games and not hyperdevotion noire type

agreed, it's not a sting game without 3 different scrolling banners on screen with giant button prompts flying around

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sting is so back

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

What the

Huh.

That owns honestly.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Localize blaze union cowards

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Meowywitch posted:

Localize blaze union cowards

:emptyquote:

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Islands of the Caliph is giving me more Might and Magic than I initially expected. The fun is beginning to wear thin 9 hours in, but I still think I got excellent value for my money. The fast travel is cool, and it has enough friction to use that ships stay relevant. I am really curious about some of the stuff getting hinted at, probably a 50/50 I end up finishing this.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Final Islands of the Caliph update? I was always a little concerned about the fact that you couldn’t backup your saves AND the game auto saved when you entered new regions. The game just pulled an impressively cruel trick that wiped out a full inventory of lategame items… and since it involved inter island travel, the save I made won’t let me get out of this.

I do have items stored in chests on varied islands, and I actually did a quest earlier that made this dungeon relatively safe, but losing an inventory full of carefully stockpiled tools, rare weapons and armor, and 6 hours of money from trading goods as I explored is legit painful.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
get good B)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

What the
It's really funny they get to do this after they went and made knockoff notMadou Monogatari back in the day.
They just called it "Sei Madou Monogatari" cause they had the franchise name/rights but none of the characters cause they were still attached to Puyo Puyo which Sega owned.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

curse of the curry god was really loving bad, also

what if satan was way creepier! wow!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Were there any screenshots or concept art for MM4, because the art for Sei Madou Monogatari feels really flavorless compared to both classic Madou Monogatari and modern Puyo Puyo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The article I saw had puyos, Carby and Oshare Bones I think but it have just been Puyotet2 or Quest art they sent over

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Front Mission 2 remake is pretty nice but you definitely need to do some reading for some of the game mechanics. Gfaqs has a good beginner guide for it.

One thing I immediately tripped on was the EXP system. There's no way to grind Pilot EXP. Money is infinite but EXP isn't. If you don't use units evenly in battle, some of them will get left behind and feel very underpowered.

What you want to do in general is keep your units grouped together so they can gang up on enemies (everything including moving, attacking, counterattacking and dodging requires action points so you can cripple an enemy unit really fast by attacking them with multiple units on your turn). So don't try to rush enemies with a single unit.

Also all pilots have specialty (Melee, guns or long range weapons) and you only gain exp based on the weapon you are using so you probably don't want to multirole unless you know what you are doing.

Also Missilers feel underpowered but they are still good for attacking non-Wanzer units like choppers and other vehicles. They require a lot of AP (6 to attack) to use so you can't move around a lot.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm in the mood to play a good ol' classic rpg from Japan, which one should I play...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
A classic-style JRPG, or one that's actually from the pre-ps2 era?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

An actually elder one

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
star ocean 2

edit: or Lennus/Paladin's Quest if you want a very old game with a lot of interesting ideas

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Terper posted:

I'm in the mood to play a good ol' classic rpg from Japan, which one should I play...

Romancing SaGa 3. The official English version is on current systems, and they didn't bork the sprites at all (unlike what they were doing with FF and CT re-releases a while back).

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
There's also Front Mission 2, which is in English for the first time today.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Can't go wrong with chrono trigger

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Join me in playing Dragon Quest VII.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Terper posted:

An actually elder one

Dragon Quest 3

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Terper posted:

SMT I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Suikoden 2