Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Both Julian and Sam are in my all time favorites already.

I fully disagree that Sam is going too try-hard. While he is way ahead, I don’t think he’s above doing ridiculous stuff for a laugh, and his liners get genuine show stopping laughter almost every time. He’s just putting more frantic effort in.

We haven’t really seen many yet, but the frantic effort of Sam will likely backfire multiple times throughout the season. They love putting up tasks where that frantic energy is a huge detriment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
sam seems like a hyperactive child and hyperactive energy looks a lot like tryhard energy

but yeah julian clary owns. he briefly murdered his own career in the 90s because at the comedy awards he joked that he'd been fisting a politician backstage

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
On the podcast Sam just shouted SEX loudly at one point and talked about how Australian version of some show game has monkeys. So random. I don't dislike him on this, it's nice to have real different personalities and he's actually good at the tasks, but hoo boy.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I wonder how Julian would have done if he had just read off of the scrambled signboard after they picked it up and said his new nickname was L'Cray.

But even with Butch, he should have done better. The task was to come up with a nickname, not a comic book alterego or a character for a lovely theme park.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Inferior Third Season posted:

I wonder how Julian would have done if he had just read off of the scrambled signboard after they picked it up and said his new nickname was L'Cray.

But even with Butch, he should have done better. The task was to come up with a nickname, not a comic book alterego or a character for a lovely theme park.

Task was to come up with a new nickname based on something you did in the 20 minutes the task allots.

This also makes Sam’s nickname not work, but it really spikes Julian’s as pretty poo poo.

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

sam seems like a hyperactive child and hyperactive energy looks a lot like tryhard energy

but yeah julian clary owns. he briefly murdered his own career in the 90s because at the comedy awards he joked that he'd been fisting a politician backstage

Sam gives me big ADHD energy. And there seems to be quite a lot of rumbling online about him possibly being autistic (which is super often co-morbid with ADHD and has tons of symptom overlap).

At least to me, I read his energy as that way more than tryhard. It all seems extremely genuine and it’s wonderful.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah you might find that type of person annoying but he does seem to just truly be like this all the time

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Sam does this thing where he pauses a little bit before saying a joke quite often and I think that can make him look a bit tryhard. But for me he has such an overall odd vibe that it seems less like he's forcing the joke and more like it's a quirk.

It's like he's lacking a certain smoothness to him, he just stop-starts and jerks about in his actions and expressed emotions a lot.

I'm enjoying him quite a lot on the show. I honestly don't have a problem with anyone this season. I think Julian is my favorite though. I just wanna sit down to lunch with him and cattily gossip about people we know (because we're old friends, obviously).

Phigs fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 6, 2023

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Julian L'Cray

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I like Sam and don't think he's trying to hard, just a delightful weirdo

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

We haven’t really seen many yet, but the frantic effort of Sam will likely backfire multiple times throughout the season. They love putting up tasks where that frantic energy is a huge detriment.

Already backfired on him a bit with that "cheeky task" from Susan, where he put in a ton of effort for literally nothing

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Sam is certainly trying very hard to win, but there's nothing wrong with that. Previous contestants have put in enormous amounts of effort as well, whether it be from uncanny physical ability, or meta-gaming and trying to find a loophole or trick. He's just weaponizing his "ADHD energy" as another poster phrased it. As long as it makes for good telly, I'm game.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Tenebrais posted:

Man, Sam did not deserve as many points as he got today!

He's settled into my least favourite of the contestants by now. He tries too hard to be wacky, especially mixed in with Sue and Lucy who can pull it off so much more naturally.

Usually I like contestants like him, but he is just not very funny. Tries way too hard to be kooky but is just bombing. Lucy just runs rings around him.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 7, 2023

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Creature posted:

Julian Clary is everything Joe Lycett dreams of being. He’s wonderful.

It's funny how he is doing the bare minimum and yet is in the lead while Susan is really trying and is falling behind.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Alhazred posted:

It's funny how he is doing the bare minimum and yet is in the lead while Susan is really trying and is falling behind.
One of TaskMaster's favorite tricks is hiding the key to immediate success in plain sight, knowing most contestants will overlook it when put on the clock and they start rushing. Julian seems immune to this.

Just look at the golf task, where he is like "wait, this isn't a hole... oh, there it is" in about three seconds, compared to Sue, Susan, and Lucy running all over the field. Sure, in some tasks, the hole would have been at some random flag, and they all would have beaten Julian in such a hypothetical setup. But probably just as often, it is something like happened here, and a patient, observant contestant (or perhaps just one that doesn't give a gently caress and is in no particular rush) will win.

Home decor in the shape of sex organs also seems to be a guaranteed minimum three points in prize tasks, so Julian's got a major advantage there.

Inferior Third Season fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 7, 2023

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Being a Taskmaster contestant is eternally walking the fine line between trying too hard and trying too little

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Outtakes! Where we learn Lucy is related to Big Dick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcNRt5NaJUc

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Lucy is just delightfully insane. I only saw her before on cats does countdown and honestly had no idea.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 7, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Was that show she did with Jon Richardson any good? The adverts really didn't showcase what a delightful weirdo she is.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
imo she sucks whenever she comes alongside him because she is always "Jon Richardsons wife". both of them are much funnier on their own

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Paladinus posted:

Outtakes! Where we learn Lucy is related to Big Dick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcNRt5NaJUc

Like 95% of that was Lucy just being Lucy.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Honestly, those outtakes are a bit underwhelming.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

stev posted:

Was that show she did with Jon Richardson any good? The adverts really didn't showcase what a delightful weirdo she is.

My parents were watching that the other day and I mentioned to them that Roisin Conaty is the one that introduced them to each other and my moms response was "That woman's got a lot to answer for!"

Also Lucy mentioned in Ed's podcast that Jon is still super salty about losing the "throw rabbits in the hat" task - which he believes cost him the overall series win lol

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Dragonstoned posted:

Also Lucy mentioned in Ed's podcast that Jon is still super salty about losing the "throw rabbits in the hat" task - which he believes cost him the overall series win lol

Cosmic karma for his potato vote

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Why would you even care about winning or losing Taskmaster.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

So people won't pick on you

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Cosmic karma for his potato vote

Didn't Morgana win her season with an extra point from first or so episode she got for being mean and insulting Alex?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Josh Widdicombe also only won because of his prank task point.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Josh counting baked beans ultimately gave him his series.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Der Kyhe posted:

Didn't Morgana win her season with an extra point from first or so episode she got for being mean and insulting Alex?

Yeah she won by one point against Guz. She got a bonus point really early for insulting Alex, and Guz lost a point for being nice to Alex, so it shows that being mean to Alex is the winning strategy.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Boxturret posted:

Yeah she won by one point against Guz. She got a bonus point really early for insulting Alex, and Guz lost a point for being nice to Alex, so it shows that being mean to Alex is the winning strategy.

Sue Perkins has it in the bag, then.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Sue Perkins has it in the bag, then.

Julian tho...

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Alhazred posted:

Why would you even care about winning or losing Taskmaster.

Well I for one think less of all those losers that lose Taskmaster.

lol, those absolute worthless losers.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

dr_rat posted:

Well I for one think less of all those losers that lose Taskmaster.

lol, those absolute worthless losers.

I actually stop watching any media including a taskloser (thats what we call them in my home)

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Grassy Knowles posted:

I actually stop watching any media including a taskloser (thats what we call them in my home)

lol. imagining that this includes the new years treats and that you now boycott channel 4 news and the paralympics

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phigs posted:

Julian tho...

Yeah, anyone can call Alex an anus. But only Julian can make him feel bad about owning a barbeque.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Boxturret posted:

Extra heartbreaking when considering the end of this: https://youtu.be/vrgNWB1yVew?si=4oBS1JLxrcDJZe_z

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Days later, I'm still shaking my head that 'Chain Bastard' was so under-scored.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, anyone can call Alex an anus. But only Julian can make him feel bad about owning a barbeque.

it's just different strategies of gayness thats all, they are both valid and i love both sue and julian

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Leatherhead posted:

I'm not vibrating with anger, but I do itch with injustice remembering it while my teeth itch in concert from the cute-vampirism

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Leatherhead posted:

JUSTICE FOR CHAIN BASTARD AND SCRUB DADDY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Leatherhead posted:

While Sam’s didn’t even make sense because there were no cigarettes, and it was just all over poor. He didn’t deserve 2 points, let alone 5.

Sam annoys me greatly.