Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

now getting 401 on this, odd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Subjunctive posted:

now getting 401 on this, odd

Works for me, even in private/incognito mode.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kibner posted:

Works for me, even in private/incognito mode.

me too now!

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
OK I give up, where's the Wireguard for Absolute Dimwits guide? I am very bad at network but want to access crap at home while away. My public IP is reasonably stable. Currently I have a hodgepodge of mostly security-through-obscurity stuff, like a NAT-forwarded raspberry pi as my SSH host running fail2ban, and privoxy/pihole ACLs only allowing my cell provider's ranges. Not really sustainable since things do change once in a while. I'm failing, I think, on what addresses/ranges go where. And of course the iptables rules that go in the configuration.

Or, I just discovered that my router has openvpn, but I can't seem to get that working either, mostly because it also wants a range. It suggested a 10.* /24 on its setup page, but I'm using 192.168... argh

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tad Naff posted:

OK I give up, where's the Wireguard for Absolute Dimwits guide?

https://tailscale.com

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Tad Naff posted:

OK I give up, where's the Wireguard for Absolute Dimwits guide? I am very bad at network but want to access crap at home while away. My public IP is reasonably stable. Currently I have a hodgepodge of mostly security-through-obscurity stuff, like a NAT-forwarded raspberry pi as my SSH host running fail2ban, and privoxy/pihole ACLs only allowing my cell provider's ranges. Not really sustainable since things do change once in a while. I'm failing, I think, on what addresses/ranges go where. And of course the iptables rules that go in the configuration.

Or, I just discovered that my router has openvpn, but I can't seem to get that working either, mostly because it also wants a range. It suggested a 10.* /24 on its setup page, but I'm using 192.168... argh

Wireguard Quick Start (wireguard.com)

If it helps, here is an example client configuration with instructions in the comments.

I gave that example Wireguard client configuration to a couple people a few years ago and they were able to configure their client and then connect to the VPN. As part of the setup they sent me their public key and pre-shared key, which I added to the server configuration,

Note: If you do use that client configuration I suggest skipping the DNS and pre-shared key options initially to simplify the initial setup.

One thing to keep in mind is that Wireguard won't really do or say anything unless it recognizes it's peer. In other words: both sides are configured with the other side's corresponding public key and (if you're using one) the same pre-shared key.

This is an awesome security feature because it makes Wireguard invisible to network scanners (versus TLS VPNs like OpenVPN, which loudly announce themselves to the world). Unfortunately it can also make the initial setup extremely frustrating, because neither side will say much of anything if something is misconfigured.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am trying out endeavoros on my laptop and I got a strange problem:
Konsole is eating the output of long commands, it only displays the first few hundred lines. The command outputs correctly on the pure text login. It also outputs correctly on Konsole my desktop which is an older Manjaro install.
The probably is an option hidden somewhere, but I can't find it. They are both set to fixed scrollback, switching scrollback options doesn't help.
e: it is not a length issue, I am noticing. It seems to stop at the same output every time at a specific unusual filename with. On both computers now that I copied it. Still confused why Konsole can't handle what non-graphic login can. The other graphic terminals also crap out.
The cursed directory name:
code:
ƒ}ƒjƒ…ƒAƒ‹³Œë•
Another endeavor thing: when I update the system (with eos-update) and walk away while an AUR package compiles it asks for the password again after it finishes compiling and then times out, aborting the installation. Can I prevent that behaviour somehow?

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 7, 2023

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

VictualSquid posted:

I am trying out endeavoros on my laptop and I got a strange problem:
Konsole is eating the output of long commands, it only displays the first few hundred lines. The command outputs correctly on the pure text login. It also outputs correctly on Konsole my desktop which is an older Manjaro install.
The probably is an option hidden somewhere, but I can't find it. They are both set to fixed scrollback, switching scrollback options doesn't help.
e: it is not a length issue, I am noticing. It seems to stop at the same output every time at a specific unusual filename with. On both computers now that I copied it. Still confused why Konsole can't handle what non-graphic login can. The other graphic terminals also crap out.
The cursed directory name:
code:
ƒ}ƒjƒ…ƒAƒ‹³Œë•
Another endeavor thing: when I update the system (with eos-update) and walk away while an AUR package compiles it asks for the password again after it finishes compiling and then times out, aborting the installation. Can I prevent that behaviour somehow?

When I try pasting that into Konsole to make a directory (to see if it chokes on the directory later), I get this warning:
"The text you're trying to paste contains hidden control characters, do you want to filter them out?"
Says it's U+0090. Looking at your text in the quote window, it appears to be between ‹ and ³, and if I remove that character and paste the string, Konsole gives no complaints.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
So after three days with Fedora and KDE I'm really impressed, I guessed I would switch to Win11 immediately but so far so good. BUT, the updates. Like, is this a Fedora or a KDE/Discover thing? Why is there no way to set an update schedule? It keeps checking for new updates, which tanks my slow connection. The only solution seems to be to deselect all sources in Discover and basically switch to dnf/CLI.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I personally uninstalled/disabled those things. Don't remember how, it's been years, but I never saw the value they would bring to the table. Just run "dnf update" whenever you feel like it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

busalover posted:

Like, is this a Fedora or a KDE/Discover thing? Why is there no way to set an update schedule?

Apparently this is in System Settings -> Updates rather than in the settings of Discover itself.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I assume that's because the auto update service is centralized in PackageKitD and Discover is a PackageKit front end or consumer. Used to be that there were a lot more alternative front ends.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

VictualSquid posted:

This should do it (the problem in the thread is related to repeatedly asking, not the timeout):

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=198042 posted:

I added the following line to /etc/sudoers, but it didn't solve the repeated password request.

Defaults timestamp_timeout=0

Either way, it saves the compiling usually so you can just rerun it and it'll be way way way faster

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Klyith posted:

Apparently this is in System Settings -> Updates rather than in the settings of Discover itself.

No, I already disabled that/switched it to manual. I believe it only affects the way the updates are installed - it won't stop the system from looking for updates, which takes up bandwidth as well.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Check for the dnf-makecache service/timer

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Yeah, I'll check that. Meanwhile I've discovered that docker freezes the KDE desktop (https://github.com/docker/for-linux/issues/1096). Sigh. Edit: maybe it's just the latest version I'll check the distro-appropriate packages urhg

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

busalover posted:

Yeah, I'll check that. Meanwhile I've discovered that docker freezes the KDE desktop (https://github.com/docker/for-linux/issues/1096). Sigh. Edit: maybe it's just the latest version I'll check the distro-appropriate packages urhg

Do you have a complicated docker-compose file to run? If not, I would just switch to podman. Simpler architecture (no daemons), better security, and integrates natively with systemd unit files.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

NihilCredo posted:

Do you have a complicated docker-compose file to run? If not, I would just switch to podman. Simpler architecture (no daemons), better security, and integrates natively with systemd unit files.

You can also install podman-compose to enable compatibility with existing compose.yaml files. Though I think there's a bug which prevents podman's super cool auto-update function from working correctly. At least when I used it a month ago or so.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

You can also install podman-compose to enable compatibility with existing compose.yaml files. Though I think there's a bug which prevents podman's super cool auto-update function from working correctly. At least when I used it a month ago or so.

Yeah I messed around with three different podman-dockercompose bridges a few months back and gave up due to various bugs or unsupported features. It was easier to just port my homeserver to Nomad, and my laptop's background services to systemd quadlets.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I haven't tried quadlets yet but they look pretty awesome. One less thing to janitor separately.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

For Quadlets there is a github project that tries to convert a podman run command or a compose file to the corresponding quadlet files

https://github.com/k9withabone/podlet

It may not support all the newest flags added by recent versions of podman's quadlet though. And run commands that rely on rootful podman may error out.

Still though, it's a time saver if you're just dealing with pretty simple compose files or run commands.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Going back to this:

ihafarm posted:

kernel altinstructions is what I think they’re referring to

pseudorandom name posted:

I'm referring to arch/x86/kernel/alternative.c and arch/x86/include/asm/alternative.h (and similar for several other architectures).

I think it's related.

I tried Googling "alternative.h" and had a much better time. Also, I think it does explain how a function I was trying to call was hitting an IBT trap. From what I can tell, there is a function to blast away all the ENDBR opcodes that IBT uses to bless indirect jumps inside the kernel functions across the kernel text section. Fun times! I haven't verified if I have agency over it yet but there's a block of stuff I think I can mess with to stop that. I haven't verified it yet because I have to restore my debug situation for it.

Coincidentally, while trying to understand what __START_KERNEL_map was, I wound up on 0xax's page. So it is destiny.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah I messed around with three different podman-dockercompose bridges a few months back and gave up due to various bugs or unsupported features. It was easier to just port my homeserver to Nomad, and my laptop's background services to systemd quadlets.

You can just use docker-compose directly if you install the podman-docker* compatibility tool.

* That's what it's called in Debian. don't know about other distros.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Grey Area posted:

You can just use docker-compose directly if you install the podman-docker* compatibility tool.

That package is basically just a shell script that may as well have been a symlink to run podman instead of docker, plus symlinking of docker.sock to podman.sock. You can set DOCKER_HOST to point towards Podman's socket instead for the same result. More important for docker-compose use is getting Podman's Docker compatible API ready by enabling socket activation.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Grey Area posted:

That was one of the bridges I tried. I can't tell you which specific feature gave that specific tool trouble, but it was one or more of networking, storage permissions, variable substitutions, and/or container dependencies.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I've heard lots of discussions about various *nix distros here, but almost nothing about openSUSE. Is there something particularly poor about that distro? I'm thinking about using it as my main WSL distro or when I want to use some *nix utilities on Windows.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Kibner posted:

I've heard lots of discussions about various *nix distros here, but almost nothing about openSUSE. Is there something particularly poor about that distro? I'm thinking about using it as my main WSL distro or when I want to use some *nix utilities on Windows.

It's fine. Think of it as like the RC Cola of Linux distros.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kibner posted:

The main users of suse are Euros posting in german, french, or whatnot. So you don't get as many people talking about it here.

One or two people ITT have said they use OpenSuse Tumbleweed, which seems to be good if you want a rolling release distro with a bit more structure than Arch.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with openSUSE, it's just a combination of SUSE the company focusing on enterprise, and.the distro having lower market share to start out with in the English speaking world.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Kibner posted:

It's just a low percentage platform overall. Red Hat owns the enterprise and Ubuntu reigns in desktop (but there's a lot of RH and Fedora there, as well).

At least in the US, SuSE getting bought by Novell pretty much cemented its niche where RH did everything else.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

And being an rpm distro in a world where Ubuntu somehow became The Thing and therefore if you need random stuff that isn't in your package manager's list it may only be available as .deb.

thinking specifically of the Standard ML compiler I installed in college once

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
suse is profoundly boring and ships kde as a default, making it probably the best desktop distro, and it's backed by a real company so if you need enterprise support you can get that too i guess

i'd definitely be running it if i wasn't already so at home in debian, when i used it on my work laptop i had zero issues past minor annoyances like searching in the wrong place in /etc or typing apt into the console when trying to do things :v:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

If IBM fucks up Red Hat and by extension Fedora, Suse would be the next one I'd think about.

So far Fedora's doing fine though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Cool, thanks all! I'll go ahead and keep using it for WSL. It will give me a chance to learn a different package manager than what Debian, Arch, Alpine, and Ubuntu use.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

If IBM fucks up Red Hat

If? They already have. :v:

They're gonna do it to ceph and openshift too.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

mystes posted:

OpenOffice has been dead for years. LibreOffice is mostly fine but there is always a risk of it screwing up the formatting of a Word document, especially if the formatting is complicated, so I'm not sure I would recommend it if you absolutely need 100% roundtrip compatibility with Office

The web version of Office365 at least probably won't screw up your files, but it is missing a bunch of small functionality so if you're doing something esoteric you may run into things it can't do.

If you need perfect compatibility and don't want to use the web version... you just have to run office in a vm.

Is there an older version of Office that works better with something like WINE? I would really like to do application level virtualization rather than hardware virtualization.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mantle posted:

Is there an older version of Office that works better with something like WINE? I would really like to do application level virtualization rather than hardware virtualization.
I think I was using office 2010 in wine for a while and I think 2013 also worked, but if you need 100% compatibility to the point where you don't want to use something like libreoffice is a version of office that old really going to be sufficient for what you need?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

mystes posted:

I think I was using office 2010 in wine for a while and I think 2013 also worked, but if you need 100% compatibility to the point where you don't want to use something like libreoffice is a version of office that old really going to be sufficient for what you need?

I think so. I'm using some old rear end office on my High Sierra MacBook and that seems to be fine compatibility wise.

E: I think I'm going to try the web office first.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 13, 2023

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have a laptop with Fedora 38 (Mate as the desktop environment, if that's relevant). For some reason, Firefox on this laptop signs me out of websites very often. Like within a day of signing in, I think. This has happened across at least this site and inoreader.com, but doesn't seem to have happened for reddit. I have Firefox sync turned on, so my settings on this machine should be the same as the other two computers I'm signed in on (both running Windows 11). Since this seems to be specific to Linux, I'm asking here. Any ideas what might be going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

hooah posted:

I have a laptop with Fedora 38 (Mate as the desktop environment, if that's relevant). For some reason, Firefox on this laptop signs me out of websites very often. Like within a day of signing in, I think. This has happened across at least this site and inoreader.com, but doesn't seem to have happened for reddit. I have Firefox sync turned on, so my settings on this machine should be the same as the other two computers I'm signed in on (both running Windows 11). Since this seems to be specific to Linux, I'm asking here. Any ideas what might be going on?

You know this was happening to me too and then it just stopped. I thought it might be cause I was updating it? I never figured it out either.