Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bisect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I just put up one with bisect with a completely custom atm8 instance that was surprisingly easy. You can do an auto install but I just copied over the exact server files I wanted since I added mods... And then it just worked

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I...didnt know you could upgrade a modpack in Prism. Thats pretty cool.
Also cool, in Minecolonies Dimensional Adventure it has the Wardrobe accessible from the main menu.
First modpack i've seen do that outside of bedrock.

e: well maybe not, the upgraded modpack wont load my world

OgNar fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 30, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

OgNar posted:

I...didnt know you could upgrade a modpack in Prism. Thats pretty cool.
Also cool, in Minecolonies Dimensional Adventure it has the Wardrobe accessible from the main menu.
First modpack i've seen do that outside of bedrock.

e: well maybe not, the upgraded modpack wont load my world
does it have a crashlog? I updated my version and mods through prism and there was one discrepancy that was holding the whole thing back, which when I posted here someone pointed out what I missed instantly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mutata posted:

Is there a go-to realm-like service for hosting little modded Minecraft servers? I'd like to maybe start an ATM server for my kids and a few of their friends.

Depending on availability it may (still) be a pain in the rear end, but oracle cloud hosting has been fantastic to me for hosting my ATM8 server. Over a year now with zero issues. Takes a bit to set up if you don稚 know much about building a server but it痴 otherwise pretty great!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

does it have a crashlog? I updated my version and mods through prism and there was one discrepancy that was holding the whole thing back, which when I posted here someone pointed out what I missed instantly.

After trying various things, I finally deleted that copy and then duped again and updated and it was fine.
It must have had an error the first time I copied it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yes, yesssssssss....

Kanthal soon~

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It's beautiful!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still running my empty little server on an Oracle instance.

I'm considering if I want to switch the pack to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbAjtgwbwdc or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmBkOURW_h0
though. But I'm not sure which.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

It's beautiful!

protip - the focus of equal trade from thaumcraft works on coils, and saves a lot of time spent wrenching the blocks

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

protip - the focus of equal trade from thaumcraft works on coils, and saves a lot of time spent wrenching the blocks

Yeah, I'm slowly dipping my toes into spooky magic poo poo. I got my gold greatwood wand!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Interested in trying out Minecraft again. Haven't played in at least five years. Sounds like the current hotnesses are Omnifactory and GT New Horizons. Which one would you recommend to a relative newbie? Also, how does one do modding nowadays. I'm not even sure what the difference is between Java and Bedrock edition.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ariong posted:

Interested in trying out Minecraft again. Haven't played in at least five years. Sounds like the current hotnesses are Omnifactory and GT New Horizons. Which one would you recommend to a relative newbie? Also, how does one do modding nowadays. I'm not even sure what the difference is between Java and Bedrock edition.

You'll be using Java for modded. Personally suggest using Prism Launcher for your modding.

Neither modpack is particularly good for a newbie but are still able to be played if you're willing to regularly dive wikis. They both have decent questbooks which will handhold for a while if you're truly willing. With that said Omni/Nomi is the more chill of the two and more straightforward factory building while GTNH has significantly more content, custom additions, and balancing. GTNH is also under constant active development.

Both Nomifactory (omnifactory successor) and GTNH have installation guides.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 5, 2023

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Is there a modpack you would recommend for a newbie?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Ariong posted:

Create Above and Beyond, it showcases the neatest of the new poo poo you have missed and has a good quest system to get you started on Create.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ariong posted:

This is a much harder question to answer so I'm just going to assume you want something in the same vein as GTNH and Nomifactory - factory building with a sprinkling of other mods and questbook help.

Aside from the above mentioned I would add:
Enigmatica 6 the normal version of an incredibly popular and long running techpack series of modpacks with quests for some handholding. Very freeform.

Skyfactory 4 an older version of minecraft but another popular entry that takes place on a skyblock. Tons of quests and good if you want to build out your own world. More restricted progression but on the easier side of these types of packs.

Project Ozone 3 less popular than the above big one but my own personal favourite skyblock (and still popular). In the same vein as SF4 but much more focused and with custom recipes to more intertwine disparate mods together. Has multiple different difficulty types with different recipes and a good questbook. Includes exploration. The hardest on this list, even on normal mode, but still doable for a new player imo.

Cuboid Outpost. Like a skyblock. Sort of. You start in an infinite void so don't have to build the floor and have access to the underground. Easy progression and plenty of quest stuff with custom blocks and a factory-ish focus. Not my favourite but I'm also a masochist so.

Obligatory Inclusion
Blightfall 3. One of if not the best adventure modpacks ever created. Large custom map with exploration and magic. Thread favourite. Not really like any of the others and not the easiest for a new player but still has a solid questing book and doesn't heavily lean on requiring knowledge of any mods except thaumcraft.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 5, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

This guys channel seems to be mainly based around Create.
Good stuff for people just getting into it.
Also introduced me to a few things I never realized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2kWrwl7zYg

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Rynoto posted:

This is a much harder question to answer so I'm just going to assume you want something in the same vein as GTNH and Nomifactory - factory building with a sprinkling of other mods and questbook help.

Aside from the above mentioned I would add:
Enigmatica 6 the normal version of an incredibly popular and long running techpack series of modpacks with quests for some handholding. Very freeform.

Skyfactory 4 an older version of minecraft but another popular entry that takes place on a skyblock. Tons of quests and good if you want to build out your own world. More restricted progression but on the easier side of these types of packs.

Project Ozone 3 less popular than the above big one but my own personal favourite skyblock (and still popular). In the same vein as SF4 but much more focused and with custom recipes to more intertwine disparate mods together. Has multiple different difficulty types with different recipes and a good questbook. Includes exploration. The hardest on this list, even on normal mode, but still doable for a new player imo.

Cuboid Outpost. Like a skyblock. Sort of. You start in an infinite void so don't have to build the floor and have access to the underground. Easy progression and plenty of quest stuff with custom blocks and a factory-ish focus. Not my favourite but I'm also a masochist so.

Obligatory Inclusion
Blightfall 3. One of if not the best adventure modpacks ever created. Large custom map with exploration and magic. Thread favourite. Not really like any of the others and not the easiest for a new player but still has a solid questing book and doesn't heavily lean on requiring knowledge of any mods except thaumcraft.

Aw yeah, I used to love Blightfall! I知 interested in trying a different thing on a newer (i.e. not almost old enough to be enrolled in middle school :P) version of Minecraft so I値l probably check out one of the skyblocks first. If memory serves, those tend to introduce things a little at a time by their nature. Thanks so much!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Ariong posted:

Aw yeah, I used to love Blightfall! I知 interested in trying a different thing on a newer (i.e. not almost old enough to be enrolled in middle school :P) version of Minecraft so I値l probably check out one of the skyblocks first. If memory serves, those tend to introduce things a little at a time by their nature. Thanks so much!

If skyblocks and new(er) MC versions are your fancy then I would place Stoneblock 3 near the top in recommendations. Tons of quests and starts you in a world of mostly-solid stone, allowing you to build out a base like a skyblock would but with access to resources and custom Secrets to find. Still very factory focused but more on the Create (mod) side.

Also importantly runs on much newer versions of java so has significantly better performance.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 5, 2023

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Stoneblock 3 was a lot of fun.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Perfect, I値l go with that. Many thanks!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Okay I'm trying to install Prism Launcher and I can't seem to get it to detect Java. I have downloaded the latest version of Java from Oracle and the two versions of Temurin Java from Adoptium indicated as optimal by the Prism Launcher FAQ. None of them were detected during the installation process and they are not being detected now when I go to Settings > Java > Auto-Detect. Does anyone know what the default installation directory is for Temurin Java so I can try to manually tell the launcher where to find them?

EDIT: I found the JDK 8 installation at C:\Program Files\Eclipse Adoptium but I guess the JDK 17 installation is located somewhere else??????? I know it worked because when I try the JDK 17 installer again it asks if I want to change, repair, or remove the installation, but infuriatingly seems to be totally devoid of any indication of where that installation is.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 6, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Ariong posted:

Okay I'm trying to install Prism Launcher and I can't seem to get it to detect Java. I have downloaded the latest version of Java from Oracle and the two versions of Temurin Java from Adoptium indicated as optimal by the Prism Launcher FAQ. None of them were detected during the installation process and they are not being detected now when I go to Settings > Java > Auto-Detect. Does anyone know what the default installation directory is for Temurin Java so I can try to manually tell the launcher where to find them?

EDIT: I found the JDK 8 installation at C:\Program Files\Eclipse Adoptium but I guess the JDK 17 installation is located somewhere else??????? I know it worked because when I try the JDK 17 installer again it asks if I want to change, repair, or remove the installation, but infuriatingly seems to be totally devoid of any indication of where that installation is.

No idea. I personally just use the JDK19 archive instead of installer and drop it in the PrismLauncher folder for ease of manually setting paths.

All the various JDK versions work this way as well.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Okay, that worked. So um... what now?

Sorry if I'm being dumb but IMO the documentation on the Prism Launcher site kinda sucks. Like the next step after setting up Java is called "Create an Instance" and the information there is literally just "Click Create Instance to create an instance" Wow, cool, what the gently caress is an instance? I notice that Stoneblock 3 is hosted on Feed The Beast so I assume I want to use one of the instance types under the "FTB Legacy" tab but I have no idea which one.

EDIT: Also I can't seem to figure out how to download the actual mod files from the Stoneblock 3 page on the FTB website. The only download links I can find are one to download the FTB launcher and another to download "server files" which I don't think I want.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Prism used to support FTB mod packs, but FTB asked them not to so they took it out.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

God drat it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay... okay, so what should I use? The "FTB App"? Is that a launcher?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

Prism used to support FTB mod packs, but FTB asked them not to so they took it out.

Huh. Mine still has it. Guess it was taken out on newer versions.

Ariong posted:

God drat it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay... okay, so what should I use? The "FTB App"? Is that a launcher?

Yeah, it's their own launcher so guess they're trying to force people onto it. Should work the same.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

oh, nm

OgNar fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 6, 2023

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was going to say I installed FTB: Skies recently in Prism, but I think it was actually PolyMC and then Prism let me auto-import it.

Launchers are a bit of a mess vs five years ago. If I understand before my time, now is still better than pre-Technic but I don't know the history before Technic.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was going to say I installed FTB: Skies recently in Prism, but I think it was actually PolyMC and then Prism let me auto-import it.

Launchers are a bit of a mess vs five years ago. If I understand before my time, now is still better than pre-Technic but I don't know the history before Technic.

Before Technic, you had to download individual mods yourself from mod authors. There were a lot fewer mods back then, but mod authors would put their downloads behind adfly links, or other such "get paid for people clicking your link" services. To make matters worse, mods were often split up into multiple submods, with (you guessed it) an adfly link for each one. Part of what made Technic so hated at that time was that it allowed players to bypass these ad services.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The fun days when some of the more insane mod creators hid code to corrupt worlds if run with other mods or were installed in launcher folders.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Was it minecraft modding where someone made a check that would send invincible bees at you if you used it with certain other mods?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Leal posted:

Was it minecraft modding where someone made a check that would send invincible bees at you if you used it with certain other mods?

Sengir made his bees explode if it detected technics directory

CJ added "sanctions" to railcraft which made boilers blow and trains seize up, the outcome of which well, that story's overdone

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

StealthArcher posted:

Sengir made his bees explode if it detected technics directory

CJ added "sanctions" to railcraft which made boilers blow and trains seize up, the outcome of which well, that story's overdone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3eYUziQ8tM

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Gregtech would do something if you had tinkers construct in with it. I forget what.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FYI for anyone using PolyMC still for some godawful reason -- they removed the check for whether or not you have a legal version of minecraft, so it's effectively a pirate launcher now. Recommend moving to https://prismlauncher.org/ , which is also a multimc clone. As a bonus, it takes care of configuring the patches needed to run GTNH on java 17+ for you, which is handy.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Modrinth launcher is pretty promising, overall.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

FYI for anyone using PolyMC still for some godawful reason -- they removed the check for whether or not you have a legal version of minecraft, so it's effectively a pirate launcher now. Recommend moving to https://prismlauncher.org/ , which is also a multimc clone. As a bonus, it takes care of configuring the patches needed to run GTNH on java 17+ for you, which is handy.

Why is this a problem? I'm not asking this to try to make a point, I am legitimately unsure why it would be. Why would the makers of the launcher care about the providence of the software which the user launches with it? They aren't distributing that. Like, Valve certainly doesn't care if someone uses Steam as a launcher to launch a pirated game as long as that game is not being sold illegally on the Steam store.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ariong posted:

Why is this a problem? I'm not asking this to try to make a point, I am legitimately unsure why it would be. Why would the makers of the launcher care about the providence of the software which the user launches with it? They aren't distributing that. Like, Valve certainly doesn't care if someone uses Steam as a launcher to launch a pirated game as long as that game is not being sold illegally on the Steam store.

It's a little different because the MC launchers are assuming more responsibility than Steam does when launching a non-steam game. It is authenticating with Microsoft and downloading the binaries from them, and so on. The issue is less whether or not there's a moral argument for or against piracy, and more that piracy in general comes with higher risk of malware and credential theft. There's no guarantee it will happen, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I need some basics on Apotheosis. FTB: Skies just kind of assumes you know what the heck, and here I have a quest to submit 32 luminous crystal shards and I don't know what really would produce them on a salvaging table. I am having a hard time even knowing what would work on one. My mob farm rando armor certainly doesn't.

I also believe I can use it to make a sword that shoots nuclear eye lasers or something. I was never one for enchantments so it's gone well beyond my frontier.

Ariong posted:

I can't be sure, but my first reaction is that launcher is one step away from showing porn and malware when running at this point.