Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
We have a HBOMax account and the app is such poo poo that if you background the app while you're streaming it will automatically roll back and start over at the beginning of whatever you were watching. No, put your phone down and pay attention. You're watching Max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is HBO Max, Max, and Cinemax at all related? When I hear "Max" I think of Cinemax even though maybe that went away like decades ago?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

credburn posted:

Is HBO Max, Max, and Cinemax at all related? When I hear "Max" I think of Cinemax even though maybe that went away like decades ago?

Some hbo executives panicked and had to justify their existence somehow so hbo max turned into just max.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

When they merged the platforms they decided to go with the least recognizable name option.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Fitzy Fitz posted:

When they merged the platforms they decided to go with the least recognizable name option.

"Don't want the stink of this poo poo to affect the real brand!" -- someone who is payed hundreds of thousands of dollars every year to manage HBO

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think it's more "let's continue colonizing common words with our branding."

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

It MIGHT be forced on you by your organization through GPO, but you might be able to change it:

In Edge, click the three dots, go to settings, then in the left nav go to "Start, home, and new tabs" and just change it:

That part might be forced, but even if you HAVE to have the "New Tab" page is the thing that, by default in Edge, will have the click-bait Boomer rage poo poo, you can also just click the gear on that home page itself and turn off content:

Oh hey, thanks for this. Turning off all "content" did the trick. Now new tabs looks like they do in Firefox.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

DrBouvenstein posted:

FYI, Patreon just released an update and, surprise, it's poo poo!

And the logo is butt:

I can’t think of a single time the “our brand will absorb any identity like it’s Kirby” bullshit ever loving worked, and it’s just a sign that nobody will tell their designers or brand consultants “no,” and that nobody knows what their corporate identity actually is.

I only hope there’s a Pepsi-esque slide deck to leak that uses the golden ratio to explain how the Patreon logo is “aesthetic geometry” and corresponds to the Earth’s magnetic fields

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 5, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

FYI, Patreon just released an update and, surprise, it's poo poo!

No more pure chronological feeds. It's all group by the creator you follow, so you have to scroll through a bunch from Creator A before you get to any from Creator B, even if A hasn't updated recently but B has.

And the logo is butt:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

I think it's more "let's continue colonizing common words with our branding."

This drives me crazy because you can't dependably Google words for the definition anymore. You'll get some dumb tech start-up instead.

The more I post here the more I realize I need to distance myself from Google.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

DrBouvenstein posted:

And the logo is butt:

I see someone on Patreon just got a pirated copy of Bryce 3D and is playing with all the different Material Types.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
Everytime I update twitch app I get more ads

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

humpthewind posted:

I used my adblocker to block that popup. Felt good.

I did this using the element zapper/picker but found I couldn't scroll down the page. I'm not trying to read comments but sometimes I want to see the video description to see if they added system specs on a game performance review. It bugged the poo poo out of me so I thought I'd try to find something better. found an older reddit post from March with some filters I could try. I added them and it and it didn't work. Then I added them and closed the browser and reopened and it's been 100% normal since.

filters for ublock origin;

youtube.com##+js(set, yt.config_.openPopupConfig.supportedPopups.adBlockMessageViewModel, false)
youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.adBlocksFound, 0)
youtube.com##+js(set, ytplayer.config.args.raw_player_response.adPlacements, [])
youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.hasAllowedInstreamAd, true)

I'd be curious on some feed back to see if it works for other people.

Also I heard for mobile whatever the new fork of youtube vanced is still working but I really don't watch youtube on mobile so I didn't check.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Denim Dude posted:

I did this using the element zapper/picker but found I couldn't scroll down the page. I'm not trying to read comments but sometimes I want to see the video description to see if they added system specs on a game performance review. It bugged the poo poo out of me so I thought I'd try to find something better. found an older reddit post from March with some filters I could try. I added them and it and it didn't work. Then I added them and closed the browser and reopened and it's been 100% normal since.

youtube.com##+js(set, yt.config_.openPopupConfig.supportedPopups.adBlockMessageViewModel, false)
youtube.com##+js(set, ytplayer.config.args.raw_player_response.adPlacements, [])

Also I heard for mobile whatever the new fork of youtube vanced is still working but I really don't watch youtube on mobile so I didn't check.

Thanks! I noticed the same scrolling issue but a refresh of the page was fixing it so I was ignoring it. I applied these filters and will see how it goes.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This drives me crazy because you can't dependably Google words for the definition anymore. You'll get some dumb tech start-up instead.

The more I post here the more I realize I need to distance myself from Google.

and replace it with what? Even DuckDuckGo is little different from Google, often worse.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

and replace it with what? Even DuckDuckGo is little different from Google, often worse.

I rarely search for actual websites anymore. There aren't that many left really. So I'm mostly using google as a shortcut for searching on sites I already know, like maps, word definitions, reddit/quora, etc. because I can just type the search term into the address bar. I need to go back to actually visiting websites and using their search boxes. I know you can specify the domain you want to search on google, but that's more tedious than opening a bookmark to me.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
You could try the paid search engine
https://kagi.com/

Some goons like it and I may try it soon with how unsatisfied I've been with other search engines lately.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Denim Dude posted:

Sometimes, when you zap an irritating element on a page, there's an invisible lightbox that locks things up. You can sometimes just zap that invisible thing. I used to go all detective when things like this happen, but these days I try to rely on EasyList and Fanboy annoyance lists, because sometimes I break other stuff. Often all it takes is a little waiting.

The real tragedy for me will be when yt-dlp no longer works or is lawyered out of existence. These days I like to download longer-form videos and just watch them without the use of a browser.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm not sure how the bastards at the deep state pulled this off but radio waves, a non-ionizing radiation which, in general, doesn't have enough energy to affect atoms, cells, negatively affect chemical processes, and so on...Is now able to significantly affect cells and transfer even biological viruses now.

You wanna talk about things getting shittier for no good reason? This is it, friends.

Come to think of it, I've been feeling a little zombie-ish lately. Can I dose myself with 3G to counteract this?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Think this might belong here but holy crap thanks to AI and optimization it’s impossible to search for engineering jobs that aren’t computer touching (and worse yet try anything related to “quality” and “engineering”)

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Woolie Wool posted:

I've been paying for Kagi and it's good

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Isentropy posted:

Think this might belong here but holy crap thanks to AI and optimization it’s impossible to search for engineering jobs that aren’t computer touching (and worse yet try anything related to “quality” and “engineering”)

Yeah I never understood why "developers" turned into "engineers".

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

skooma512 posted:

Oh ya, the "blackout" thing. This happened to me a few times when I used to watch hockey. Every so often the channel was just blacked out, as a punishment for the stadium not selling out or some poo poo like that.

Like, you only know this is happening when it happens, it's not announced ahead of time. What? Is someone really just going to panic buy a ticket 15 minutes after the game is started, go down through in my case, LA traffic, to catch half the game?

Hahaha oh my God, that is so heinous. How wide spread is this?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Beartaco posted:

Every major sport in the entire country, year-round.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

but then there's also this special rider just to rub extra salt in

quote:

All San Francisco Giants and Oakland Athletics live games will be blacked out in the U.S. territory of Guam.

makes sense, its only a 14 hour flight

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Time_pants posted:

Every major sport in the entire country, year-round.

The only league that blacks out based on stadium attendance is the NFL, and only when the game is on over-the-air TV. The other leagues' blackouts are because they have sold exclusive broadcast rights to some other broadcaster; e.g. you can't watch the Mariners on MLB.tv if you live in Washington, because the Root Sports cable channel carries all the games exclusively in the state.

Funka
Jan 4, 2006
Yeah they got that blackout business with football in england too, I lived next to the tottenham stadium and just wanted to check where the match was can I get to the supermarket and back before the floodgates of drunk white men open onto the town, no something capitalism something something.

Also somebody here inspired me to make a cross stitch, thanks mate https://imgur.com/GrlUNdg

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Very nice :)

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Beartaco posted:

MLB won't even let you pay to watch the game if you're in the blackout. I live about 2 hours from the stadium and we're in the blackout for every home game. The only saving grace is that MLB either hasn't figured out VPNs yet or it explicitly doesn't care, so if I have an MLB.tv subscription I can watch the games from "the Netherlands". Still a ridiculous pain in the rear end.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

a black screen is an upgrade from watching baseball so what’s the problem?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Faustian Bargain posted:

a black screen is an upgrade from watching baseball so what’s the problem?

:emptyquote:

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

quote:

PREVIEW: X will remove the interaction counts (likes, reposts) from the main timeline, leaving only view counts. You will be able to see these numbers when you tap into a post.

The intent of this is to improve readability.

quote:

UPDATE: X's current plan is to remove the engagement buttons (like, repost, etc.) from the main timeline and REPLACE them with gestures.

e.g. Double tap to like, swipe to reply.

He is so obsessed with view counts.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Google Podcasts was a simple streamlined way to subscribe to & listen to podcasts. Axing it in favour of YouTube Music is bullshit.

I've already tried it on YM and it's bloated bullshit, and I can't seem to subscribe yet. But I'm going to muscle through it because I'm already so invested in the Google Workspace.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Google Podcasts was a simple streamlined way to subscribe to & listen to podcasts. Axing it in favour of YouTube Music is bullshit.

I've already tried it on YM and it's bloated bullshit, and I can't seem to subscribe yet. But I'm going to muscle through it because I'm already so invested in the Google Workspace.

I switched to Android last year and needed a podcast app, and I'll say I really liked the Google one. But I figured since I was starting over, no reason to get more tied to Google and got AntennaPod from Fdroid. Never looked back.

Worse: Youtube decided I can't see my subscriptions anymore on desktop and nags me every page to allow it to record my watch history. I just want to see the list of my subs and pick which one I want to see what they have done in the last few weeks or whatever. But no, I see a timeline of jumbled mess, not the curated list of channels I want to bookmark and come back to.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Tewdrig posted:

Worse: Youtube decided I can't see my subscriptions anymore on desktop and nags me every page to allow it to record my watch history. I just want to see the list of my subs and pick which one I want to see what they have done in the last few weeks or whatever. But no, I see a timeline of jumbled mess, not the curated list of channels I want to bookmark and come back to.

Does this link to the subscriptions feed still work for you?

https://www.youtube.com/feed/subscriptions

It still works on desktop for me. It leads to a chronological list of recent uploads from channels I'm subscribed to. I use it as my Youtube bookmark instead of the main page.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Bandcamp is probably hosed:

https://www.wired.com/story/epic-games-sale-bandcamp-music-platform-limbo/

quote:

Bandcamp employees were stunned to learn that some of them would not be receiving job offers from Songtradr. That day, the acquisition was announced publicly, and multiple Bandcamp employees say they began losing access to many of the systems needed to do their jobs, leaving the platform operating with limited oversight...

Songtradr purchased the platform’s business and operations but not its staff, according to Sandy Pope, bargaining director for the Office of Professional Employees International Union, which since March has represented 67 out of some 120 Bandcamp workers.

There goes the last thing I cared about on the internet. gently caress you Epic. They probably just bought Bandcamp to play Lawsuit Games (TM) with Apple.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

I’m not sure if it’s all of them or just the one near me but my local Food Lion grocery store has gone downhill drastically in the last 2 years or so.

For one, I don’t know if anyone actually works there. Someone may just swing by in the morning, unlock the door and turn the lights on and then leave for all I know. It’s hard to find a single employee, the entire store is filthy, and the registers are always closed so you have to use self checkout, and those are unattended so if (when) there’s a problem you’ll be waiting forever for anyone to show up if they even do. I once waited nearly 10 minutes one time, gave up and just walked out of the store without my stuff.

Today I went in and just happened to walk by the unattended customer service area and saw this. They might as well just put up a single large sign that reads “gently caress you”.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

bossy lady posted:

Bandcamp is probably hosed:

https://www.wired.com/story/epic-games-sale-bandcamp-music-platform-limbo/

There goes the last thing I cared about on the internet. gently caress you Epic. They probably just bought Bandcamp to play Lawsuit Games (TM) with Apple.

This loving sucks, I was just hyping Bandcamp to some friends the other day. If they take away my Bandcamp Fridays I will strike their eyes from their putrid heads and that is a sincere threat I swear to loving god.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
can anyone recommend a good weather widget for Android, I've had AccuWeather forever and it kind of seems like a piece of poo poo more than usual recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

AARD VARKMAN posted:

can anyone recommend a good weather widget for Android, I've had AccuWeather forever and it kind of seems like a piece of poo poo more than usual recently

Put a spotwx weblink on your homepage. Now you have a dozen or so weather models/stations to quickly compare.

https://spotwx.com/