Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

The Pope's Exorcist was a pretty decent possession movie but it goes so hard at the end then becomes the Avengers.

I thought Crowe was really good in it. I get it, the accent is what it is but I still thought he brought his usual screen presence and his character was the reason the movie worked imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
May was definitely a teenage fave, haven't revisited it in millenia but I'm sure it holds up

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Personally I’ll take a derivative Exorcist rehash over something like Pope’s Exorcist. At least on paper. So I remain unshaken.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Basebf555 posted:

These big iconic horror properties are always in a rotation. You always have producers looking around trying to figure out which famous horror franchise is in that sweet spot where it's been dormant for long enough that people would be hyped for it but not for so long that people have totally forgotten it. It was The Exorcist's turn apparently. Five years ago it was Halloween, two years ago it was Candyman.

I think Pumpkinhead is well placed. The first movie is good but not like, so good that anybody would be upset about a remake or reboot or soft seboot. Great monster design, simple lore. Do it, Hollywood, make another Pumkinhead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If they remade/rebooted Pumpkinhead it would inevitably be a CG Pumpkinhead which immediately takes away the entire appeal of what the original was. It's a fun movie because it has a classic Stan Winston monster in it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Me and my partner have started our annual "watch a Hellraiser we haven't seen" tradition and are doing the fourth one. Midway through the opening credits they say "oh, I wonder who directed this one?" only for us to make the UGLIEST noise when "Directed by ALAN SMITHEE" appears. This is going to be a good time :allears:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Me and my partner have started our annual "watch a Hellraiser we haven't seen" tradition and are doing the fourth one. Midway through the opening credits they say "oh, I wonder who directed this one?" only for us to make the UGLIEST noise when "Directed by ALAN SMITHEE" appears. This is going to be a good time :allears:

One thing you definitely won't be saying about Hellraiser IV is "well that was the same old crap and they didn't try to do anything new". So it always gets major points from me for that.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Adam Scott’s best performance imo

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

These big iconic horror properties are always in a rotation. You always have producers looking around trying to figure out which famous horror franchise is in that sweet spot where it's been dormant for long enough that people would be hyped for it but not for so long that people have totally forgotten it. It was The Exorcist's turn apparently. Five years ago it was Halloween, two years ago it was Candyman.

I wonder if Saw X doing well means a revival of some of the horror from that period. A Hostel remake, another Cabin Fever, maybe someone takes another kick at the can for Wrong Turn.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They actually already remade Wrong Turn. And The Grudge (again). And of course Cabin Fever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
How much longer does Roth have to wait before he can just do another shot for shot remake of Cabin Fever? 3 years?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

They actually already remade Wrong Turn. And The Grudge (again). And of course Cabin Fever.

Sure but it's not like mainstream horror is adverse to remaking and rebooting things over and over if it's halfway recognizable. We're 5 years max away from David Gordon Green's The Omen.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Sure but it's not like mainstream horror is adverse to remaking and rebooting things over and over if it's halfway recognizable. We're 5 years max away from David Gordon Green's The Omen.

They can remake The Omen again but only if they stop pretending it's some heavy intellectual religious thriller and instead have Satan Boy just flat out murder a bunch of people in hilarious ways for two hours.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Having a banger of a friday:
The exorcist
Noroi the curse
City of the living dead

Good poo poo all around

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Wrong Turn remake is also shockingly decent. Maybe because I bothered to watch all the Wrong Turn series and those fall off a loving cliff after 2, but the remake was enjoyable.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Universal presents a shocking new vision of a horror classic. David Gordon Greene’s Frankenhooker. Wanna date? Meet you in theaters Halloween 2028.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Time for Jody Hill to do horror now

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

They can remake The Omen again but only if they stop pretending it's some heavy intellectual religious thriller and instead have Satan Boy just flat out murder a bunch of people in hilarious ways for two hours.

It'll be a take on Omen III: The Final Conflict. A toothless take that somehow pisses off everybody and nobody.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

See I was thinking The Omen is perfect for DGG because there’s just enough depth for him to go real hard in on it and piss off the whole “anti-elevated” or whatever contingent of horror fans who just want to see someone melt someone with acid vomit or whatever.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

David Gordon Green's Cabin Fever pt1

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

See I was thinking The Omen is perfect for DGG because there’s just enough depth for him to go real hard in on it and piss off the whole “anti-elevated” or whatever contingent of horror fans who just want to see someone melt someone with acid vomit or whatever.

The day I’m too good to enjoy watching someone get melted with acid vomit, melt me with acid vomit

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

STAC Goat posted:

David Gordon Green likes stupid gore too dude

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Wrong Turn remake rules
The Grudge re-remake is pretty good but ends way too soon (an extremely-rare complaint I have about films these days!)
Cabin Fever remake sucks
Halloween Ends rules

And since I just finished it: VHS85 rules :yeah:

Not as good as 99, but only one segment I felt meh about. After three of these, all being solid at worst, I can say this series going to Shudder Originals was a godsend. The first two VHSes had a great segment or two and Viral completely sucked; 94 had mostly-great segments, 99 I liked everything of, and this had one segment I was meh on and another I was loving until the end. Also has something I haven't seen done in the series before :stoked: Keep these coming

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The issue isn’t DDG made a sophisticated film or whatever it’s more he just decided to make an easy story into something more complicated and messier than it needed to be.

Worked for some but it just felt like idk dude you set up a perfect finale and you botched it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

First Hellraiser I ever saw...when I was about 9. My mom was watching it and was like "hey, come watch. This guy gets his face ripped off."

Thanks, mom.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
if DDG went for the "easy story" or whatever Ends would probably end up infinitely more forgettable, now it has given me brainworms i will never get rid of in my life

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Due to numerous recommendations in this thread, I’ve just watched May.

And I’ve got to say, that was really something else. At the moment I’m kind of at a loss for words to describe it. Except to say I *loved* it!

It’s on AMC+. If you have that, run, do not walk, and fire it up. Or find it somewhere else, but if you’ve never seen it, you must.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 6, 2023

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'll stand by my opinion that there's not a better ending in all of horror than May.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Snooze Cruise posted:

if DDG went for the "easy story" or whatever Ends would probably end up infinitely more forgettable, now it has given me brainworms i will never get rid of in my life

I’m not even sure what the easy story is. Laurie vs Michael |||? We saw the big clash between them in the first film. You can’t top that. DGG clearly doesn’t want to. He wants to explore the uselessness of that violence and Laurie’s obsession and all that anger and trauma. But even if he wanted to just make a simple slasher you’re just doing what you already did well in ‘18.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Holy poo poo the cop from Sister Act is in Def by Temptation. And he has the same haircut.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snooze Cruise posted:

Gonna be honest I’d rather a film be simple and good instead of something that’s weird, off putting and makes me feel angry, but going hah it made me feel something at least!

Idk I don’t want to feel upset!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rob Zombie wishes he could write a character as memorable and interesting as Corey

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish Corey had a better pay off. I got nothing against that character in a vacuum. He just kinda stinks as an end game thing. The actor was good though.

Also I’m not the Rob zombie guy lol.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ruddiger posted:

Rob Zombie wishes he could write a character as memorable and interesting as Corey

In fairness to Zombie he really does do a great job with the trauma of Laurie in Halloween II. Even if the ending might undermine it as supernatural horse ghost genes or something.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

yeah who could forget Corey

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Halloween Ends is for teaching gays like me what heterosexual relationships are like. boys like violence while girls are healers nod nod

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Time for Jody Hill to do horror now

This would be amazing but I mean, we saw what happened to the last guy. Best to let dreams stay dreams.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
VHS 85 was terrific; one of my favorites of the whole franchise.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Chronicles posted:

It'll be a take on Omen III: The Final Conflict. A toothless take that somehow pisses off everybody and nobody.

As long as they get Sam Neill back as Damien

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gripweed posted:

Holy poo poo the cop from Sister Act is in Def by Temptation. And he has the same haircut.

Holy poo poo he’s a cop in this movie too!