Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

RBA Starblade posted:

I've still just been using Arc Titan for all time forever but I also rebuilt my old D1 Nova Bomb Engine Warlock with Bad Juju and Nezerac's Sin, which was pretty fun

Still waiting on Outbreak and Monte Carlo catalysts but filling the others in in the meantime :toot:

Outbreak on a void warlock with Chromatic is :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kecske posted:

Shape killed fumbled lore

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Perhaps the game’s writing would be better if Bungie had a more permanent writing team.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

Again, maybe I’m dumb and easily accepting of retcons but it makes sense to me that, as you say, Stasis is the mind seeking control as the power manifests as Maxwell’s Demon.

I’m sure you can make a similar connection with Strand, like yeah you see the connecting threads of the universe but you’re able to manipulate and even cut away at it. So in a way you take advantage of that inherent cooperation.

There are two things about it that bug me:

1. Maybe it is just a shift in emphasis, but the prior conception was more interesting to me. Mind/body dualism has been done before! It feels like low-hanging fruit to reach for, something an executive producer jotted down on a napkin,
2. It gives a special place to the mind. Destiny was previously a universe where the mind, like any other material process, could be simulated and understood--nothing paracausal about it! The idea that it's actually on equal footing with, but apparently separate from, material reality galls me. It is, again, not very interesting! Been done before! And it overwrites the fun hard sci-fi that caught my attention back in D1.

Like I said, maybe someone in the Bungie writer groupchat is figuring out how everything from Dreams of Alpha Lupi to the latest release into one airtight narrative. But to me it feels like it's shed some of its most striking background elements to fit some EP's mandate.

If it doesn't bug you, that's fine! But it's lost some of its flavor for me, and I think that sucks, because I don't know anything else that's tasty in the same way.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Mesadoram posted:

What builds have you all been having fun with this season?

With Foetracers being decimated I've been having a tough time choosing a new exotic to main.

Knucklehead is strong but boring, works well in Checkmate, has too much overlap with Void Hunter and everyone is wearing it (bad thing, this is a bad thing).
Nighthawk is PvE and I already use it there.
Foetracer doesn't work with my playstyle because I switch what gun I use all the time.
Graviton is strong but doesn't work with my playstyle at all.
Wormhusk is strong but boring, might be OK in Checkmate if I could build around it a bit more.
Young Spine is strong but I don't want to switch off Void Hunter.
Tricksleeves seem very funny and good but I don't want to dedicate too much to a sidearm build. An ability heavy build with Travellers Chosen might be really funny in Checkmate.
Aeon Swift I could actually probably do something with since 4 precision headshots is easily done and then I get fast reload but I would have to give up War Mantis.
Shinobu is my go-to PvE build and might work fine even in Checkmate?
Sealed Grasps don't work with my playstyle at all.
Raiden is for a Super I don't really want to use of an element I don't really want to use.
Raspberry is similar to Shinobu: too PvE specific.
Dragon's seems strong but boring.
Spathe is for a melee I don't really want to use of an element I don't really want to use but could maybe work well even in Checkmate.
Handgun Pants only works with Handguns which I use maybe a quarter of the time.
Orpheus is PvE and I should probably make a loadout with it.
Stompies seem strong but boring but don't seem to match my playstyle.
Gemini is fun but harder to use effectively especially in Checkmate.
Frosties are good and might work fine in Checkmate.

I either have to pick something I find boring or I would need to change something about my playstyle which I don't want to do.

I've also been playing Arc Warlock with a shotgun or fusion and it's so different and fun.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If you like Foetracer wouldn't "Old Foetracer + Additional Perks" be pretty hard to beat??

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If you like Foetracer wouldn't "Old Foetracer + Additional Perks" be pretty hard to beat??

life_source posted:

ugly poop exotic

life_source posted:

My class fantasy (or wahtever bungie calls it) is tracing foes. I am not interested in radaring knuckleheads.

My monitor is ON.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

life_source posted:

My monitor is ON.

you seem normal.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

HaitianDivorce posted:

Destiny was previously a universe where the mind, like any other material process, could be simulated and understood--nothing paracausal about it!

That's still the case though. The Vex can still simulate any non-paracausal entity perfectly.

Darkness isn't "the mind", it's power over the mind. The mind itself is still causal, and then there's space magic that affects it.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

MJeff posted:

Forsaken was written at a time when they weren't even sure if the game would exist in a year, Shadowkeep was written at a time when they were gaining full independence, that's gonna cause a pretty big difference in creative outlook, yeah.

making it somehow worse?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's worth noting that Bungie has changed its definition of the Light and Darkness Saga.

In 2021
- The Light and Darkness Saga is Shadowkeep through Final Shape
- Destiny 1 was the first Saga
- Red war through Forsaken was the second Saga
- After the Final Shape, the fourth Saga would begin

In 2023
- Destiny's 10-year journey was the Light and Darkness Saga
- After the Final Shape, Destiny storytelling will rely on 4-month Episodes rather than multi-year Sagas

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

life_source posted:

My monitor is ON.

..........What is going on here?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are Nightfall Ciphers still used? I don't see a way to give them to Zavala in any of the decoding.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Are Nightfall Ciphers still used? I don't see a way to give them to Zavala in any of the decoding.

Yes. You need 10. In the regular focusing, rather than the legacy focusing, there's a list of nightfall weapons. The one furthest to the right is an adept weapon, which changes every week. That's the only place you can spend them, and you have to have that adept weapon in your collections first, from completing the GM that drops it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ponzicar posted:

Yes. You need 10. In the regular focusing, rather than the legacy focusing, there's a list of nightfall weapons. The one furthest to the right is an adept weapon, which changes every week. That's the only place you can spend them, and you have to have that adept weapon in your collections first, from completing the GM that drops it.

Oh I see, I saw that section but didn't notice only one needed it

Also I beat Lightblade in GM. Don't lmao. gently caress sentinel shield hive

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 5, 2023

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Pretty sure Sjur is dead, there was a secret mission during that season where we were exploring the ascendant realm that took you through her tomb or memorial or something.

I'm not sure why that's a spoiler cause this was like, years ago that we found Sjur's tomb. It was part of Forsaken. She also has a memorial in Shattered Throne, where you get Wish Ender.

Also, she's not dead. Not like, dead-dead.

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/sleepless

quote:

"I was dreaming," Sjur says, wiping her mouth off with the back of her hand. "I saw you on a great black triangle. You split it in two with your bare hands."

"Mm."

"And I was dead, I think." She cracks her neck with a deliciously loud pop. "Or… trapped? Like in a maze. But pretty close to figuring my way out."

She's dead, but it's not permanent. When Mara splits a Pyramid ship (i'm confident that's yet to come), she'll be "pretty close" to coming back.

Whatever happened to her was because of The Nine, btw. Them "killing" Sjur was the confirmation that Mara's message had be received and that they were ready to bargain.

RocketRaygun fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 5, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Dead Like Rev posted:

..........What is going on here?

Foetracer is just too good now.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to TFS and subsequent seasons because three a year is more ideal pacing for me personally, and also hopefully having standalone seasons at least for a while means we (both players and Bungie) can untangle ourselves from the goddamn mess of a story/plot that has been going on. I don't want a reboot, but goddamn this is all so messy, with characters being super important then disappearing and not mattering at all, important lore and story points being buried in loving Codex entries (seriously stop doing that it's terrible form) and the general mish mash of when various writers wanted to do different things. Also I really want a Scary Door season.

Keen for Festival of the Lost tho, it's always my favourite because of how straight forward it is, and how much it was just "do this sometimes after playing the game anyway".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RocketRaygun posted:

She's dead, but it's not permanent. When Mara splits a Pyramid ship (i'm confident that's yet to come), she'll be "pretty close" to coming back.

No, she did that already. It was in the Witch Queen deluxe edition transcript thing lol

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

No, she did that already. It was in the Witch Queen deluxe edition transcript thing lol

I'm not 100% convinced that was the "Rip apart a pyramid ship with her bare hands" event. Mostly because it would be such a badass moment to show in game as a cutscene, and also the timeline doesn't match up with Crow's resurrection in the Sleepless lore.

Perhaps it was, but it may not be the only time Mara hulks out and rips a pyramid ship in half. I can see TFS having a moment where Mara goes absolutely ham, and Crow being there and giving her something and calling it a trophy.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

RocketRaygun posted:

I'm not 100% convinced that was the "Rip apart a pyramid ship with her bare hands" event. Mostly because it would be such a badass moment to show in game as a cutscene, and also the timeline doesn't match up with Crow's resurrection in the Sleepless lore.

Perhaps it was, but it may not be the only time Mara hulks out and rips a pyramid ship in half. I can see TFS having a moment where Mara goes absolutely ham, and Crow being there and giving her something and calling it a trophy.

There's plenty of badass moments not in game though

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Favorite titan build this season is banner of war + acd0 + Flechette to fly around and knife things. I cant always get the loop perfect but it’s so satisfying when I can.

Side note; there’s no way they don’t nerf banner of war. It’s too good and fun.

I just got the new titan solar gauntlet exotic; I forget what it’s called, but it makes the consecration slam really fun. Just slam a big ol wall of explosions on some scrubs. Super does great damage too.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i get that games are made in a way where a lot of things are likely to change but man my hopes of where the game would go after reading Unveiling week by week and where it ended up going are pretty divergent

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Panderfringe posted:

There's plenty of badass moments not in game though
Destiny.txt

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

With the update taking the base AE for snipers and shotguns up to where it was pre-AE with an Icarus mod equipped... what is the point of the AE system? Wasn't its original justification that high-skill players could dominate with snipers and shotguns while jumping, so those needed to be reined in in a way that wouldn't cripple primaries? And now those weapons will be even more effective than they were before?

Not because of the above, but now that I haven't played much for the past couple of weeks I'm finding my eagerness to re-engage with it plummeting rapidly. Without the seasonal armors offered for bright dust anymore I don't feel as much pressure to bother with seasonal challenges, I'm basically done with the seasonal stuff aside from a few loose ends, and I'm contemplating just sitting FotL out. I was halfway done with raid crafting patterns and oversoul for Necrochasm (don't really care about the catalyst) before the ddosing, but that won't be going away so there's not so much pressure, and while I don't have any of the random dungeon exotics and I'm still missing a couple of GotD armor pieces for the warlock, I can't find the will to grind for any of that.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Paracelsus posted:

With the update taking the base AE for snipers and shotguns up to where it was pre-AE with an Icarus mod equipped... what is the point of the AE system? Wasn't its original justification that high-skill players could dominate with snipers and shotguns while jumping, so those needed to be reined in in a way that wouldn't cripple primaries? And now those weapons will be even more effective than they were before?

You're looking for consistency and long term overall design where none has ever existed.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Over nerfing and then walking it back is the brand

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

muike posted:

i get that games are made in a way where a lot of things are likely to change but man my hopes of where the game would go after reading Unveiling week by week and where it ended up going are pretty divergent

i'm kind of wondering where you thought it would go.

it's an FPS video game so imo there was only ever one direction they could have taken it.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Paracelsus posted:

AE was introduced because they thought the skill gap was too wide. It was walked back when sbmm was implemented because the feeling was the matchmaking would prevent the stomping of new players. But now trials and I think banner (the two most popular modes because they have the loot non-pvp players want) don't have sbmm so :shrug:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

It's true purpose was nerfing Stompees by making it give an AE penalty, but then they changed the nerf to only being good if you have full class ability energy so :shrug:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

All these recent patches are so focused on pvp it's funny. All this time invested and they still couldn't understand they needed to make maps.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The mid season update seems pretty much just for PvPers which, okay, means nothing changes at large. Some tweaks to ranges I guess? The SR PvE buff is nice tho. But that's not until next season anyway, so uh, just make them worse for PvE in the meantime I guess, why not. I guess no one but me was using them anyway lol

Also this line: "Increased damage against minor combatants for Pulse Rifles and Auto Rifles."
I hate it. The insistence on only buffing archetypes against minors is really irritating. Bungie is so terrified of just buffing things because it might make specials irrelevant I guess, but I highly doubt whatever red bar buff pulses and ARs get would make them superior to specials against majors and elites, even if it was a flat buff. I love using weapons that feel like guns against red bars and a small throw pillow against everything else, it's great. HCs are fun to use now and it's basically just because they actually do decent damage against non-minors. And despite that they aren't replacing specials etc against Champs. How wild.

The disparity is gonna get worse over time if they keep buffing minor-only damage. It already feels weird, it'll only feel weirder.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

I finished Wednesday, but works been busy so season GM trip report.

Cenotaph Hat is OP and broken as gently caress and they gotta nerf it. Its like permanent seasonal mod levels of broken, just play into rockets for literally every GM and win the game.

I think the sort of most widely applicable comp for this seasons GMs would be banner titan, solar/arc cento warlock and either a void hunter for various dunking things or just more add clear in the space of an arc lock/titan/hunter. Banner titan is stupid cracked and I'll probably try a few GMs in groups of banner titans just to see how it goes similar to trying triple arc hunters last season. Bring Ceno and rockets and profit. Wishender with the arc shoot to loot trace (path?) is OP loadout but that shoot to loot trace is a huge quality of life.

Lightblade - seems to be a solved problem for most of the player base. I really enjoy this GM now and its not quite intro level GM due to the boss room and barrier spawns but its a hell of a lot easier now than it was when it dropped. Arc Warlocks, Strand Titans and Arc Hunters seem very strong and its never a bad idea to have a void hunter to do boss babysitting stuff. GL overcharge means the master baiter can take witherhoard to help move the fight along. Gone are the days of plinking down that stupid hallway up the stairs after you spawn in, you can play very aggressively and be very succesfful now. I think suppressor grenades are OP if you take a void hunter since they'll pull the lightbearers out of their super. I dont think knowing where the barriers spawn is a big deal just have 2 homies together to burst one while someone messes with the boss.

Heist BG: Moon - Cleared One and Done which was nice after a false start where ~someone~ me didn't take anti-barrier. Dropped this one thinking it was the moon one from last season and made it to the boss room before someone was like "Hey, i think this is new". Ended up clearing ~ blind ~. The opening was a bit of a slog until you start chaining supers but nothing that isn't solved by the application of very many rockets at the same time. The defend ghost situation we ended up doing a bit from the corner by the doorway but finished just standing on the platform. Good add clear makes this alot more manageable. Almost wiped at the door bc no one bothered to actually clear any adds and we all jut went after the lazers so lol. Boss room play right corner, no problem, ez pz. I really enjoyed this GM, the combat is good, it felt pretty fast and I didn't really find anything frustrating.

Heist BG: Europa - felt good, cleared it straight a few times before funny guns. Feels like a tight experience, good combat and very enjoyable breaking through. the room down the ramp with all the wizzys and barriers can be a little hairy and really kill your momentum but you can chew through it with supers and such. Starting the deathsinger early is annoying but theres a purple box there so just murder him. Section can drag if you didn't manage ammo well or hit your shots. Did the boss off to the right side was relatively chill as a void hunter doing dunk things.

Heist BG: Mars - 2/2 after a false start where we didn't understand how to start the zone thing. its ok but nothing stands out as very fun to me in this one. the ~ new ~ cheese about starting C and doing the points without being on them is kinda meh to me but ok. I enjoy the combat in the second area with the door, you can make some fun stuff happen with the mob density. I think my fav combat sequence in this is the room where you like fight up some stairs into two or 3 waves of adds. Boss is whatever, cheese or no cheese, pretty manageable but his invisibility act can be incredibly frightening if he magically decides to say hi to you. Not sure what they changed with this it felt pretty ~ samey ~ to me as last season.

Scarlet Keep
This was like medium / medium hard for me. I only have one GM clear on this which i cheesed back in January according to Nightfall Report. Opening section, ball dunking, up the tower was pretty chill but that boss room gets crazy. Im not sure if I haven't seen it enough in the sense of getting her movement patters and how to maneuver down or if its just hard but I have no idea how people did that poo poo pre 3.0. Lots of ogres and knights, very in your face type of boss encounter. Banner titan worth their weight in gold here. I'll do it again a few times just to get the hang of it, I liked this one.

Idk how to embedd imgur links but this but it is lol and worth the click
https://imgur.com/9UkcI3B

Devils Lair
Is a joke and a good first GM.

Shout out to uller, kilranin, NG and squirellord

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Waroduce posted:

Shout out to uller, kilranin, NG and squirellord

Wow, how dare you

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

AE was introduced because they thought the skill gap was too wide. It was walked back when sbmm was implemented because the feeling was the matchmaking would prevent the stomping of new players. But now trials and I think banner (the two most popular modes because they have the loot non-pvp players want) don't have sbmm so :shrug:

SBMM was in way before AE and that had nothing to do with it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's true in a sense, because they add and remove sbmm every 2 years or so. But most recently, they added air Effectiveness in season of the spooky leviathan, and then one season later added sbm to control

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Banner Titan looks busted as gently caress please don't nerf it until I've finished unlocking it

Also could unlocking it be more tedious Jesus Christ Neptune sucks

It's not even hard just loving long and boring to do

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Finally getting around to reading Unveiling and uhhhhh.

UHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

gently caress this stupid book, I'm glad it got retconned.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

I think the new Moon GM is honestly one of the best GMs they’ve done in a while. It has a little bit of everything — the intro section is all about punching hard targets, the middle is all about add clear, a bit of mechanics with the door, and then a boss that’s interesting but neither too hard nor too easy. Props for the team that did that conversion.

Lightblade may be mostly solved, but I’d also say it remains one of the most unfun GMs. Its challenge comes from lovely bullshit gotchas rather than any kind of complexity. “Surprise, the boss can shoot up and clip through the floor to kill you. Surprise, a screeb spawned inside a wall and popped when you walked by it. Surprise, the boat’s hitbox is a little wonky and you killed yourself with ricochet rounds.” It is simultaneously boring af, and capable of instantly wiping you if you stop paying 100% attention. I’d love to see it dropped from rotation, after 3 or 4 seasons in a row of it.

Still, one of the better GM seasons overall.

:cawg: i wish i had recorded my pov, it was even funnier from a side view

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 7, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MJeff posted:

Finally getting around to reading Unveiling and uhhhhh.

UHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

gently caress this stupid book, I'm glad it got retconned.

Lol

e: Lol some friends tried Trials and we won 1 whole round. Everyone who beat us went to the Lighthouse. We got crucible engrams and nothing else so gently caress that lol. Not even mad we lost but it couldn't at least throw some pity armor or something at us?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm taking my time to play through Grasp of Avarice to learn the mechanics of the dungeon. It took me about a dozen tries but I finally got through the ogre boss. :woop:

I play as a hunter and decided on a void build for invis with Null Composure LR and Retrofit Escapade MG heavy load out. It took me about five phases but probably could knock that down to four

That sparrow portion seems like a slog cuz my sparrow keeps dying :argh:

Thank you for reading my D2 diary.