Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Are thumbs not fingers?

Edit gently caress it not even gonna edit the quote in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's .finger and never .thumb

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
"Your thumb is different from your fingers. Your fingers have two joints and three bones called phalanges or phalanxes. A thumb only has one joint and two phalanges. Anatomically, a thumb is unique"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I got told cron jobs arent reliable. True or false?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:pwn:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

"Your thumb is different from your fingers. Your fingers have two joints and three bones called phalanges or phalanxes. A thumb only has one joint and two phalanges. Anatomically, a thumb is unique"

:psyboom:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Anyway we had a meeting where my coworker complained for half an hour to my boss and I only barely not bursting into tears. We were meeting to discuss a PowerPoint.

She does this at least once or twice a month.

Good thing she's going to be my boss if I stay here!!!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Same Wibla, same

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

are they Lennart Poettering?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I really thought thumbs/finger was a square/rectangle deal

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Defenestrategy posted:

I have never seen a cron fail to run. The script it’s executing can obviously fail, and you should be monitoring that. But the actual “execute foo.sh on a schedule” part doesn’t fail.

Either way it should be fairly trivial to monitor both “is this executing at all” and “is this executing successfully”. Set up log based alerts in your logging system of choice, and monitor for both failures and expected successes.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Vampire Panties posted:

:same: I had a boss/owner who used to constantly threaten my position whenever something crashed. I always said "I could walk out the door and let you fix this mess" and he shut right up (the back-and-forth was more joking then contentious)

thankfully most of the places I've worked in the last decade have seen IT as a necessary evil, as compared to the early years where CFOs thought it was like burning piles of cash for warmth. Some of those places even saw the potential in IT, and now we get Digital Modernization flacks telling olds they don't an AS/400 anymore

My favorite thing about modernizing away from as/400 is how often the replacement turns out to just be as/400 hidden behind some vendors web interface

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Don't they still sell AS/400? :haw:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's not an AS/400 anymore, but yes. It's like a power8 or some bullshit now. Still can be accessed by a 5250 client.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Jesus christ I only have 8 fingers? This forced re-education the zoomers are putting us through is pretty rough so far.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Oof. Just got told that no bonuses and no raises this year. Complete hiring freeze with layoffs coming. This is after the company headcount grew 400% in the last year.

I’ve been working my rear end off, desperately in need of two more employees and I’m currently having to fly around the east coast loosing my personal time and away from family for no extra compensation.

Guess I’ll be working on my resume this weekend.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Cyks posted:

Oof. Just got told that no bonuses and no raises this year. Complete hiring freeze with layoffs coming. This is after the company headcount grew 400% in the last year.

I’ve been working my rear end off, desperately in need of two more employees and I’m currently having to fly around the east coast loosing my personal time and away from family for no extra compensation.

That sucks, good luck!

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Jesus christ I only have 8 fingers? This forced re-education the zoomers are putting us through is pretty rough so far.

Next week there will be a quiz on they/them and neopronoun etiquette and use, failure will result in cancellation and being sent to the ticktock mines for rehabilitation.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Cyks posted:

Time to get the gently caress out, man.

Good luck!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

I have never seen a cron fail to run. The script it’s executing can obviously fail, and you should be monitoring that. But the actual “execute foo.sh on a schedule” part doesn’t fail.

Either way it should be fairly trivial to monitor both “is this executing at all” and “is this executing successfully”. Set up log based alerts in your logging system of choice, and monitor for both failures and expected successes.

Yea I had never heard of cron failing to do a thing that wasnt user error in setting up the actual timer or the script failing. Just wanted to confirm that I wasnt living in a world in which cron will just up and fail to attempt to run the thing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Defenestrategy posted:

:wrong: cron doesn't fail. If cron failed the entire Linux system is borked and the server isn't doing anything.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

The thumb does only have two phalanxes, but it has three joints.

Carpometacarpal Joint
Metacarpophalangeal Joint
Interphalangeal Joint

The bone between the CMC and MP is considered a metacarpal.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Wibla posted:

Time to get the gently caress out, man.

Good luck!

Definitely this Cyks! The company I used to work for is circling the drain, they actually stopped the 401K match earlier this year. Raises and bonuses were the first thing to be cut along with layoffs. Huge red flags. I'm glad I GTFO when I did.

Not the best time to be job searching, things tend to slow down with the holidays and end of year stuff that happens at big corps, but get that resume updated, get that LinkedIn profile gussied up, and start looking hardcore. Things are gonna get worse. Also expect big benefit cuts next year if you haven't started open enrollment yet.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it super cynical of me or like.... normal.... to think that due to lack of investment in education by not only the government but training for employees by companies, there's a huge amount of "institutional ignorance" growing more and more every year? Like the idea that people at, say, (IDK, random example:) IBM, could do what people achieved in the '80s not really being possible for them? Not even like, breaking ground in the same ways, because that might be unrealistic, but like, sitting down a team of engineers at some major F100 company to solve some problem that was solved in the 90s or 80s and expecting them to actually be able to do it?

Maybe this is just part of "learning" and seeing how much you don't know, but it just feels like any alleged "experts" in any given domain are just actual loving morons. Is this unreasonable? Or just pure cynicism growing in me? I would like to not have it, to be honest.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I see you've been exposed to solution architects. Are you OK?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The sales practise of rephrasing a question you just asked so they can answer a different question in a more positive way seems to be leaking out to non-sales areas of businesses. I've put up with so much wasted time from these types of engagements now that if your response to a really simple question is to try and book a meeting I am just going to delete your email.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

ziasquinn posted:

Is it super cynical of me or like.... normal.... to think that due to lack of investment in education by not only the government but training for employees by companies, there's a huge amount of "institutional ignorance" growing more and more every year? Like the idea that people at, say, (IDK, random example:) IBM, could do what people achieved in the '80s not really being possible for them? Not even like, breaking ground in the same ways, because that might be unrealistic, but like, sitting down a team of engineers at some major F100 company to solve some problem that was solved in the 90s or 80s and expecting them to actually be able to do it?

Maybe this is just part of "learning" and seeing how much you don't know, but it just feels like any alleged "experts" in any given domain are just actual loving morons. Is this unreasonable? Or just pure cynicism growing in me? I would like to not have it, to be honest.

You’re being cynical, I’ve worked with those people and they’re loving stupid and had less education and training then most people I’ve worked with

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

skipdogg posted:

Definitely this Cyks! The company I used to work for is circling the drain, they actually stopped the 401K match earlier this year. Raises and bonuses were the first thing to be cut along with layoffs. Huge red flags. I'm glad I GTFO when I did.

Not the best time to be job searching, things tend to slow down with the holidays and end of year stuff that happens at big corps, but get that resume updated, get that LinkedIn profile gussied up, and start looking hardcore. Things are gonna get worse. Also expect big benefit cuts next year if you haven't started open enrollment yet.

Right now, we have a zero premium health insurance plan and I get a $500/mo. discount off rent, both of which are pretty huge benefits. If they say those going away, I'm gone.

During the announcement we were literally told "survive until 2025". The thing that really kills me is we just spent a whole bunch of money renovating a new office building twice the size as our old one; literally just paid an A/V company $100k to set up two conference rooms and hang a few TVs that we absolutely did not need. Thats a salary of an employee for a whole year that I could have used.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Thanks Ants posted:

The sales practise of rephrasing a question you just asked so they can answer a different question in a more positive way seems to be leaking out to non-sales areas of businesses. I've put up with so much wasted time from these types of engagements now that if your response to a really simple question is to try and book a meeting I am just going to delete your email.

Since I support a customer-facing product instead of doing internal poo poo only like a quarter of my calls are from people selling the product

When I started I kept getting bogged down in trying to find “workarounds” to the feature they wanted that we didn’t have.

Then they would get mad that the workaround had issues or problems because IT WAS A loving WORKAROUND AND NOT A FEATURE BECAUSE I JUST TOLD YOU WE DONT HAVE THAT

Now I just tell them no and when they ask me to check I search the kb twice and then say no again

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My role was switched to be under the infosec team this week, along with the IAM analyst. For us, it makes sense to have IAM under the infosec umbrella.

This new manager is even more hands off than my previous one. And more importantly the team has weekly meetings that are over in half an hour instead of a far too long daily standup, and no more on-call ever. :getin:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Filthy Lucre posted:

The thumb does only have two phalanxes, but it has three joints.

Carpometacarpal Joint
Metacarpophalangeal Joint
Interphalangeal Joint

The bone between the CMC and MP is considered a metacarpal.

Beaten on this

Also I’ve got a third after hours meeting tonight 8PM on a loving Friday for this dumbass vendor to likely say that they’re too loving dumb to roll out Okta SSO again. For the third time. Despite saying they could turn it on “with the flick of a switch” months ago. We’ve had this poo poo ready to go and have adapted for their goddamn stupid rear end “we can’t handle upper case letters or punctuation” bullshit from the start

I get it. Your program is 30 years old and eats poo poo, but that’s not my loving problem, get good or get the gently caress out. loving useless rear end vendors and even more useless rear end C-suite for going with this poo poo.

devmd01 posted:

My role was switched to be under the infosec team this week, along with the IAM analyst. For us, it makes sense to have IAM under the infosec umbrella.

This new manager is even more hands off than my previous one. And more importantly the team has weekly meetings that are over in half an hour instead of a far too long daily standup, and no more on-call ever. :getin:

That owns and you own too, buddy

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Oh yeah, did I mention that I demanded a promotion back in 2021 and wrote my own job description? Being in a pod is nice.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

devmd01 posted:

Oh yeah, did I mention that I demanded a promotion back in 2021 and wrote my own job description? Being in a pod is nice.

I wish i could work in a pod. I’ve always loved dolphins and wanted to work with them

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

fixed my CEO's printer issue and wow I loving hate her as a person

I don't like to use the word "entitled" because I think it gets misused too often but you'd think a "thanks for solving my problem for the past four months in 10 minutes because you're actually competent at your job" would be on the table but no, weird stony silence.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

tokin opposition posted:

fixed my CEO's printer issue and wow I loving hate her as a person

I don't like to use the word "entitled" because I think it gets misused too often but you'd think a "thanks for solving my problem for the past four months in 10 minutes because you're actually competent at your job" would be on the table but no, weird stony silence.

These posts are gonna be used in a court of law soon when she finally snaps.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Who was it? Sickening that had the secret insider way into a companies ticketing system and it didn't get released for months? IE it's time we do our duty to Jeffrey and finally get the SH/SC thread watched.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

jaegerx posted:

These posts are gonna be used in a court of law soon when she finally snaps.

i'm hoping to hear back on a better job next week so I can turn around and give two weeks notice* with a minimum of fucks given

*they deserve less but I want my PTO paid out

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

jaegerx posted:

Who was it? Sickening that had the secret insider way into a companies ticketing system and it didn't get released for months? IE it's time we do our duty to Jeffrey and finally get the SH/SC thread watched.

Implying it's not already watched :haw:

tokin opposition posted:

i'm hoping to hear back on a better job next week so I can turn around and give two weeks notice* with a minimum of fucks given

*they deserve less but I want my PTO paid out

Book the time off, then give them a 0-day notice after you've taken the PTO.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Are you in a decent state that PTO is your money?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
lol lmao

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

jaegerx posted:

Are you in a decent state that PTO is your money?

Yeah they're supposed to pay it out if I give notice

The funny part is that I know for a fact that it'll take them at minimum a month to hire a replacement