Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I have three of them (logitech g600) - my oldest one is in parts because I haven't been able to repair the mouse wheel sensor. I paid scalper prices on ebay to get a white one because they stopped making those years and years ago.

They did a revision a couple years ago that removed the braided cable, replaced with a lighter weight silicone cable. The design is so old they have weights inside the mouse that you can just unscrew and leave out if you open them to replace the switches (which I've done on my newest).

If they've discontinued it because they are going to finally release an updated model, that's great, if not, that's tragic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's like 60 bucks on amazon right now, might be worth getting a spare just in case.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Speaking of dying scroll wheels my 7 year old g502 proteus spectrum just had its die (or some fuzz or something got in there). Unlocked scrolling just doesn't work now. Locked scrolling works for part of the wheel but stops for the other part and also stops if you spin it too fast. It's weird.

edit: I'm not sure if I want to just get a new g502/ g502 x or go with something else. Logi Hub has its problems sometimes and is real clunky, but the automatic profile switching is nice for the few games I use it for. I do make use of one of the buttons next to left click on the g502 sometimes for a backup push to talk button when I have to use the "sniper button" for something other than push to talk.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 27, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MagusDraco posted:

Speaking of dying scroll wheels my 7 year old g502 proteus spectrum just had its die (or some fuzz or something got in there). Unlocked scrolling just doesn't work now. Locked scrolling works for part of the wheel but stops for the other part and also stops if you spin it too fast. It's weird.

edit: I'm not sure if I want to just get a new g502/ g502 x or go with something else. Logi Hub has its problems sometimes and is real clunky, but the automatic profile switching is nice for the few games I use it for. I do make use of one of the buttons next to left click on the g502 sometimes for a backup push to talk button when I have to use the "sniper button" for something other than push to talk.
I upgraded from a G502 Proteus Spectrum to a G502 X wireless about 5 months ago and love it, though I upgraded bc I wanted to go wireless—my old mouse is still perfectly fine and wasting away in a drawer.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 27, 2023

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Jack Trades posted:

I just wanted to rant.

My beloved G700's sensor seems be hosed so I was forced to find a new mouse and there's nothing out there even close to the quality of the G700.
I eventually settled on a G502, and it's a fine mouse but I'm constantly annoyed at how it's worse in every way compared to G700.
Smaller chassis, fewer extra buttons, worse button placement, no tactile feedback on the top extra buttons.

I just want to buy another G700. gently caress.

As a fellow G700 and later G700s enjoyer, the G604 has been a more than worthy heir. Same number of buttons or a little more, great placement, without the battery life issue. Yeah it's not rechargeable, but you only need a new AA battery every 3 months or so. Buy a pack with it and you're done.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

As a fellow G700 and later G700s enjoyer, the G604 has been a more than worthy heir. Same number of buttons or a little more, great placement, without the battery life issue. Yeah it's not rechargeable, but you only need a new AA battery every 3 months or so. Buy a pack with it and you're done.

If only it was still in production.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jack Trades posted:

That's wild, I didn't realize they had discontinued it. I picked one up for $45 about a year ago during an amazon lightning sale just to have on hand but now it's all scalpers selling them for over $100.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I recently gave up with Corsair/Razer gaming mice, and got a Logitech G502 X LIGHTSPEED Wireless :asoiaf:

Very happy with it!

The software is so much nicer, and the mouse itself is really really good, comfortable and light.

It has a couple extra buttons right next to the left button that I seem to hit without intending to, so I disabled those. Seemed to happen when gaming and got excited hah, they're my main complaint but not an issue once disabled. I mean you can customize every button here.

Charging is ez, it includes a USBC cable, lasts for weeks maybe, I plug it whenever I remember to.

I think I'd try another Logitech again. Razer was ok design wise, but the software was so bloated and bad, and Corsair wasn't much better. edit: I really liked my Corsair mouse, M65 I think it was, but the left button died(after years of use), I replaced it with a new one, and the new one died again within like a year

I don't know why these things have 10,000DPI settings, I always set mine to 800DPI for gaming and regular use :shrug:

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 29, 2023

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I don't know why these things have 10,000DPI settings, I always set mine to 800DPI for gaming and regular use :shrug:

Apparently modern mice have faster response times in the 1600-3200 DPI range. Can't comment on this myself, but K8.0 has posted about it a bunch of times in this thread.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Yeah don't most sensors have a native resolution somewhere in that range? Makes no sense to handicap the mouse basically by using anything lower than that. Just adjust your in game sens appropriately. Desktop use can be a bit trickier but idk how anyone uses under 3200DPI given the size of modern monitors tbh.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Jack Trades posted:

Well gently caress. Gotta buy a spare before it goes the way of the G700 then.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Pvt. Parts posted:

Yeah don't most sensors have a native resolution somewhere in that range? Makes no sense to handicap the mouse basically by using anything lower than that. Just adjust your in game sens appropriately. Desktop use can be a bit trickier but idk how anyone uses under 3200DPI given the size of modern monitors tbh.

For desktop, just turn off mouse acceleration and reduce the windows pointer speed. I take it down 2 notches from center default. YMMV

Roccat Kone Air still working great over here. I've started playing WoW again so the buttons are about to get much more of a workout. I like how you can use either 1 or 2 AAs in it. Using just 1 right now because my Eneloop charger only has one spot left.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
My night sword is having rubber fall off after 2 years. Annoying to replace something that is mechanically fine, but, it probably has 6000 hrs on it.

I like heavy stuff, trying a g520 rgb now.

edit: g520 is good weight, unsure I like the grip quite as much, but wireless is nice.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 3, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm returning the g520 and trying a Razer Basilisk v3 Pro next; the mousewheel on the g520 is obnoxious to me. It's got 2 modes, but they both piss me off: free spinning mode is just a little too free spinning for web browsing and I get page movement jitters from moving the mouse; in locked mode, it's harder to move than a normal wheel and the movement intervals are weirdly small, and it's almost as audible as an mx key click. Strange design decisions.

The basilisk is going to be a bit lighter than the 520 with all it's weights installed, which was in turn a weight reduction from the nightsword; we'll see if my meat claws adapt to this.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I recently gave up with Corsair/Razer gaming mice, and got a Logitech G502 X LIGHTSPEED Wireless :asoiaf:

Very happy with it!

huh, how do you feel about the wheel?

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 4, 2023

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

huh, how do you feel about the wheel?

Ohhh yeah, the wheel, I also disabled the dumb horizontal scrolling, it's just up/down for me now. It's fine after that :shrug: I kinda like the clicky feel, but I understand that's super subjective.

Definitely did a bit of tinkering with the buttons now that I think about it, but overall I quite like this lil rat

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Just ordered a G502 X Lightspeed. Let's see if these new switches finally get rid of the double-click problem that killed each my G700, G602 and G604 after about 3 years. I might actually try to open the G604 and replace the switches, as an experiment, but it's apparently a bitch to disassemble.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.
I've been looking around for Mice with a joystick attached, i came across This device https://lynxware.shop/products/cat-joystick

the concept is super intriguing Beyond just mouse with joystick.

It runs pricy at $186.00 USD but assuming the build quality is ok its really the only one of its kind i've been able to find.

They also offer a full KB+M replacment Pair that runs $367 and you can choose whether to have the mouse sensor in the Left or Right Hand portion.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I'd recommend the Azeron Cryo, personally: https://store.azeron.eu/azeron-keypads#keypad=cyro

It's also expensive, but I have had good experience with their Cyborg keypad.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That CAT thing is obviously 3d printed, and they didn't even bother to smooth it out on their demo unit. At that price, I personally wouldn't want to risk it without some real good testimonials.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

K8.0 posted:

That CAT thing is obviously 3d printed, and they didn't even bother to smooth it out on their demo unit. At that price, I personally wouldn't want to risk it without some real good testimonials.

I doubt they'd be smoothing anything unless they were going to print it in a filament that handles vapor smoothing (which just melts the surface) or printing it in resin or something. You can always primer/sand/putty/sand/paint 3d prints to look smooth but that's a ton more hands on work and time than just printing something out. I usually see it done with people making stuff for cosplaying. If they were to go with mass production and have a mold made, that would be smooth looking like the plastic products most folks expect.

It's likely just going to be made with FDM 3d printed parts unless they want to drop a lot of money on injection molding stuff.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

The Basilisk (v3 pro) in both free scrolling and locked positions, has a wheel that is Just Better (IMO) than the g502 wheel, and the g502 is boxed up and about to head back to Amazon.

I also got Razer Kraken Kitty v2 Pro headphones (the pink ones, of course) because I was able to expense them as a cheaper-and-sillier replacement for a (generally worse) headset work had provided that's ailing me, so, I bothered to set the Synapse poo poo up, get Chroma all syncing with Mystic Light and now I am thinking :hmmyes: maybe I do need another $250 keyboard, in the way of Razer RGB.

Also, the list of devices Chroma links with is yuuuuuge and supports a bunch of addressable RGB poo poo, among others. I think I could set our christmas tree up this year to go from green to red as someone playing DooM goes from 100% to 0% health, but, it would probably piss my spouse off.

Both my kids want their own Kraken Kitty headphones now. SAVE YOUR ALLOWANCE

The_Fuzzinator posted:

I've been looking around for Mice with a joystick attached, i came across This device https://lynxware.shop/products/cat-joystick

if you want to see if this form factor works for you just duct tape an xbox controller at a 90 degree angle to something

I sometimes mouse with a thumbstick, can't imagine that being preferable, but ergo is insanely subjective.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Rexxed posted:

I doubt they'd be smoothing anything unless they were going to print it in a filament that handles vapor smoothing (which just melts the surface) or printing it in resin or something. You can always primer/sand/putty/sand/paint 3d prints to look smooth but that's a ton more hands on work and time than just printing something out. I usually see it done with people making stuff for cosplaying. If they were to go with mass production and have a mold made, that would be smooth looking like the plastic products most folks expect.

It's likely just going to be made with FDM 3d printed parts unless they want to drop a lot of money on injection molding stuff.

I've played around with the Cyborg, and multiple reviews have mentioned that it is 3d printed. It's a very good printer, but very obvious that it is 3d printed.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Koskun posted:

I've played around with the Cyborg, and multiple reviews have mentioned that it is 3d printed. It's a very good printer, but very obvious that it is 3d printed.

Yeah, I don't think the company is trying to hide that it is. They're going to make them that way and not with molds. I think there's an expectation that someone will shell out 5-10k+ on injection molded parts but for a small company having a farm of 3d printers making the parts is going to make sense from now on. It lowers the barrier of entry for making physical products and allows for easy revisions and color swaps. My reply was mostly that "they didn't bother to smooth them out" is not something you can just do. It's fundamentally a different production process than FDM printing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Basilisk (v3 pro) in both free scrolling and locked positions, has a wheel that is Just Better (IMO) than the g502 wheel, and the g502 is boxed up and about to head back to Amazon.

I was curious as to how their new scroll wheel would match up when compared against the g502. So good to know.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I've had my middle click die on a Razer, a SteelSeries, a Logitech, and then another Razer. I'm currently using a Microsoft, which is only semi adequate because it has no DPI selector button.

In conclusion: mice loving suck.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I was curious as to how their new scroll wheel would match up when compared against the g502. So good to know.

I like it better personally, the things I would call "objectively" better:

Free scroll works fine for scrolling the forums etc and doesn't jitter on me just from moving the mouse

Locked mode is quieter than the 502 and the default motion amount is much more usable.

I hated the free scroll on the 502 enough to not mess with the settings beyond that.

Also I got a (pink) Razer Kraken Kitty headset, sort of as a joke because I was able to expense it to work as it is cheaper than the Logi headsets we get by default.... but yea I guess it syncs with my mouse and I can probably connect all this poo poo to CI so my mouse and ears flash red when the build breaks??

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The scrollwheel on this G502 X is bad. The free scroll feels flimsy and the locked mode sounds like a ratchett. I can live with it because the rest of the mouse is great, but I ordered some switches and if I manage to repair my G604 I'll go back to that.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

g604 really is dead huh. rip my accessibility.

anyone try the roccat?

https://www.roccat.com/products/kone-xp?variant=41382370050206

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 9, 2023

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHLzNnL81ms

This was a rather interesting video. Not sure it's something I would do but it did give me ideas

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Famethrowa posted:

anyone try the roccat?

I brought the Kone Air to another poster's attention a few pages ago (with no vouch cause I don't have one). They got it and liked it.

That Kone XP you linked is wired-only. The plain Air has onboard memory but not multiple profiles. You need the XP Air for both.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Famethrowa posted:

anyone try the roccat?

I have nothing but good things to say about the Roccats. The switches have exceeded my expectations coming from Logitech.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
For a mouse with a joystick, I'd recommend a Zelotes C-18.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Klyith posted:

I brought the Kone Air to another poster's attention a few pages ago (with no vouch cause I don't have one). They got it and liked it.

That's me. Roccat Kone Air good. My only gripe is that I can't remap the DPI button, but it's not in the correct position to be useful as something else anyway (it's too far from the scroll wheel).

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.

Kibner posted:

I'd recommend the Azeron Cryo, personally: https://store.azeron.eu/azeron-keypads#keypad=cyro

It's also expensive, but I have had good experience with their Cyborg keypad.

i did end up ordering the Cat, I liked the premise that everything is available to make yourself.

K8.0 posted:

Once i get the Cat in i'll post my thoughts after some use.

if you want to see if this form factor works for you just duct tape an xbox controller at a 90 degree angle to something

I sometimes mouse with a thumbstick, can't imagine that being preferable, but ergo is insanely subjective.

The premise i really want is To beable to play a game with just one hand, So having the combination mouse/controller thing is the end game.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

adary posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHLzNnL81ms

This was a rather interesting video. Not sure it's something I would do but it did give me ideas

Seems interesting and I appreciate the logic behind it but nothing will make me move away from trackballs at this point of my life :v:

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Reoxygenation posted:

Seems interesting and I appreciate the logic behind it but nothing will make me move away from trackballs at this point of my life :v:

I have my trusty ole g502 hero (and 4 more spares). Hopefully I'm set for the next 20-ish years

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011
I've been using the Logitech MX Master 3 for a while now. Really improves productivity with all the customizable buttons, and the scroll wheel is buttery smooth. Handy for editing tasks or any work that involves many shortcuts. What I really dig, though, is its comfortable design - perfect for long hours.
If you're considering buying a Logitech mouse, I used [removed] with a discount of $10 off mouses from Logitech. The discount made the overall price quite appealing.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

That's good to hear! Next time I see a Master 3s for a decent price I'll buy one.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The only difference between the 3 and the 3S is that the 3S has a silent click which may or may not be something you want.

I personally prefer the 3S and will absolutely be buying this mouse again when/if I ever need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/DJkrcSl.mp4
buying the Basilisk has sent me down a terrible rabbit hole of Chroma RGB. I have the headset too. The cat one. Yes, the pink one, though the matching pink charging stand won't be here until tomorrow.

The current iteration of the Synapse RGB control software is quite something compared to the last time I installed one of these -- I can sync up addressable christmas lights to it, and stuff. Can and will.