Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

I was not ready for this version of "The Nutcracker"
Dancing Snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D9Vl4E-b6c

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
https://twitter.com/drkstrong/status/1709027751523504262

Some interesting sun weather going on. The massive filament could change and just be nothing, but if it does erupt it would be insane.

Other CMEs are going off, but not that big one. Nothing of note to hit Earth at moment.

https://twitter.com/drkstrong/status/1709744997791076762

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Modern Carrington Event let's fukkin goooooooooooooooo :aaa:

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

wait until I’m done with baldurs gate 3

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I mean, when you see something that big you’re praying carrington and not miyake.

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean, when you see something that big you’re praying carrington and not miyake.

Did they ever determine if the Miyake event was from the Sun? Last I knew it was undetermined and might've been something else like super nova or something.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Jizzny Princess posted:

Did they ever determine if the Miyake event was from the Sun? Last I knew it was undetermined and might've been something else like super nova or something.

There have been a few other Miyake events recorded in tree rings, and a supernova close enough to make that kind of mark would leave plenty of other evidence. As far as I’m aware, there’s no correspondence between the known Miyake events and supernovae in the Milky Way that were observed.

It’s pretty safe to rely on Occam’s Razor here and assume that the Sun is the most likely source.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'll simply unplug and power down my devices before the flare hits.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smoobles posted:

i've got what, eight minutes? that's plenty of time

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I played The Long Dark and I live somewhere much less cold than Canada so I'll be totally fine

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

smoobles posted:

gonna buy one of those hardened laptops like that guy on Jericho has

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im rooting for the techpocalypse

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

my phone has an OtterBox case, Miyamoto event can't get me

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Luneshot posted:

There have been a few other Miyake events recorded in tree rings, and a supernova close enough to make that kind of mark would leave plenty of other evidence. As far as I’m aware, there’s no correspondence between the known Miyake events and supernovae in the Milky Way that were observed.

It’s pretty safe to rely on Occam’s Razor here and assume that the Sun is the most likely source.

It’s obviously evidence of nuclear weapons employed in the war between the Orangutan Surfing Civilization and the Kangarat Murder Society.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jizzny Princess posted:

the Wikipedia page has a good summary
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/774%96775_carbon-14_spike

there’s reports consistent with crazy auroras that were quite far south, that doesn’t exclude a gamma ray burst though but there should be some pretty easily observable remnants if it was that powerful. that points back to the sun but that seems to raise a lot of questions

quote:

In 2022, a study of an extreme solar particle storm near a solar minimum 9125 years BP (7176 BCE), showed one of the largest 10
Be enhancements detected in ice cores. Furthermore, the reconstruction of the 36
Cl/10
Be enhancement ratio suggests that this SPE event was similar or even larger than the 774/75 CE event in terms of energy (>30 MeV). The implication is the magnitude and frequency of occurrence of a potential worst-case scenario for SPE events is increased. The study also provides evidence that the 7176 BCE event occurred near a solar minimum.[18]

Another 2022 study using the tree-ring radiocarbon record (also) concluded that Miyake events don't appear to be caused by the solar cycle (i.e. solar flares), as previously thought, and appear to have extended durations. They occurred every ~1,000 years on average and may threaten global technologies this century.[19][20]

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the sun is just mad all those new agey people keep showing it their rear end in a top hat

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

the sun is just mad all those new agey people keep showing it their rear end in a top hat

Why would the sun get mad when some people start mooning it, when the moon has been mooning it for billions of years!

:dadjoke:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

smoobles posted:

but then how would you post

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

but then how would you post

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There was sparking all along the telegraph wires during the Carrington event, right? Because we have a lot more wires these days. Like, every building has wires in the walls. Wouldn't every building catch fire?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Gripweed posted:

There was sparking all along the telegraph wires during the Carrington event, right? Because we have a lot more wires these days. Like, every building has wires in the walls. Wouldn't every building catch fire?

i think it's related to the length of the wire? so homes will be fine but rip to all electrical infrastructure

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Last time I read into this I think I read that the damage from a Carrington event are mostly on long giant lines like this, and that modern power lines are hardened against this type of thing and a solar storm like that wouldn't actually do much to our stuff on earth. A Miyake sounds way loving worse.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The modern power line outside my house is just a chunk of copper...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Last time I read into this I think I read that the damage from a Carrington event are mostly on long giant lines like this, and that modern power lines are hardened against this type of thing and a solar storm like that wouldn't actually do much to our stuff on earth. A Miyake sounds way loving worse.

Oh. Nothing to worry about then.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

yeah modern american electrical infrastructure is rock solid

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

India flash flooding death toll climbs after a glacial lake burst that scientists had warned about for years https://www.cbsnews.com/news/india-flood-sikkim-flash-flooding-deaths-himalaya-glaciers-climate-change/

40 dead 70 missing after glacial lake explodes from heavy rainfall

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

India flash flooding death toll climbs after a glacial lake burst that scientists had warned about for years https://www.cbsnews.com/news/india-flood-sikkim-flash-flooding-deaths-himalaya-glaciers-climate-change/

40 dead 70 missing after glacial lake explodes from heavy rainfall

all those scientists are just the boy who cried wolf

of course nobody did anything, they'd been warned for years

you've gotta only warn people when they need it, not when it's only a possibility and actual concrete expenses need seeing to rather than expensive ~prevention~ for something that might not happen this election term

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

there are 50000 more lakes to explode in that region the bottom of the article says

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

yeah modern american electrical infrastructure is rock solid

Works just fine for Texas... :shrug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Every satellite hit would be destroyed. They are hardened for radiation but not that much radiation. GPS would be hosed. Any electronics outside would be hosed. Most, if not all cars would be hosed. Most generators would be hosed. Modern society would be mega-hosed.

TLDR: Hell yeah Carrington event let’s gooooooo.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

why do the lakes explode now? fire in the water why?!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

FlapYoJacks posted:

Every satellite hit would be destroyed. They are hardened for radiation but not that much radiation. GPS would be hosed. Any electronics outside would be hosed. Most, if not all cars would be hosed. Most generators would be hosed. Modern society would be mega-hosed.

we could take steps to prepare, harden, and mitigate, but obviously that's not gonna happen. thank god nearly everyone everywhere doesn't need electricity to live

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
hundreds of millions of people are going to die lmao

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FlapYoJacks posted:

I'm prepared! All the heavy gold coins and ingots Fox News told me to buy are in my ultra-cheap safe in my basement! :corsair:

Slight aside, how do I pay for a can of corn with a gold ingot? The guy selling it isn't going to want the whole thing, right? And if I pay in gold shavings and shards, aren't they just gonna know I have more gold back at my house? Ugh, this logical thinking is making my head hurt in progressive ways. Oooh, another documentary about Hitler! :downs:

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Scarabrae posted:

*water in the fire

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm prepared! All the heavy gold coins and ingots Fox News told me to buy are in my ultra-cheap safe in my basement! :corsair:

Slight aside, how do I pay for a can of corn with a gold ingot? The guy selling it isn't going to want the whole thing, right? And if I pay in gold shavings and shards, aren't they just gonna know I have more gold back at my house? Ugh, this logical thinking is making my head hurt in progressive ways. Oooh, another documentary about Hitler! :downs:

Easy, you hit the guy selling it with the ingot and take the corn

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Scarabrae posted:

cause they are uphill and on top of a wall of ice and eventually theres so much rain and melt that the ice breaks and the freezing water goes downhill to kill

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

cause they are uphill and on top of a wall of ice and eventually theres so much rain and melt that the ice breaks and the freezing water goes downhill to kill

So just to be clear we're not dealing with a yeti with explosives situation here?

The 50000 lakes number is pretty frightening though. I'm assuming it is too expensive not technically feasible to try and drain some of the lakes before they naturally break. Although I guess the sheer number of them and that they don't even have the resources to do risk assessments on all of them answers that question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

dr_rat posted:

So just to be clear we're not dealing with a yeti with explosives situation here?

The 50000 lakes number is pretty frightening though. I'm assuming it is too expensive not technically feasible to try and drain some of the lakes before they naturally break. Although I guess the sheer number of them and that they don't even have the resources to do risk assessments on all of them answers that question.

it's not that there's actually 50,000 lakes at imminent risk of bursting, it's that no one is monitoring any of these 50,000 so we have no clue which are actually at risk of bursting