Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

ImpAtom posted:

It probably doesn't help that Indiana Jones these days is associated with sad old men wishing they were dead.

More relatable than ever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That Indiana Jones XCOM game looks cool, visually, but it runs like absolute shiiieeeet.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMTDNvYqTsI

:woop:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Did that game have a demo?
I swear I played the demo, but I don't see a link to it on Steam.

Either way, cool, I imagine I'll have gotten bored with Disgaea in 11 days time :v: I need to stop buying so many games....

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Jack Trades posted:

That Indiana Jones XCOM game looks cool, visually, but it runs like absolute shiiieeeet.

So like Battletech did on first release. HBS isn't quite old Obsidian meme levels of buggy on release but it was probably pretty predictable.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Motherfuck, I haven't even finished BG3.

Tbf this is a Treese Brothers game, I am going to spend a week playing it in a fugue state then do that again each year or two after updates.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

ZearothK posted:

this is a Treese Brothers game

Templar Assault was probably one of the first games I played on my first Android phone in like 2012. I just checked - the game came out in 2011 and received its last update in 2019. The Trese brothers are something else.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Badly Jester posted:

Templar Assault was probably one of the first games I played on my first Android phone in like 2012. I just checked - the game came out in 2011 and received its last update in 2019. The Trese brothers are something else.

Also Star Traders: Frontiers. I've been really impressed by their development there. Definitely makes this worth a look for me.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

Also Star Traders: Frontiers. I've been really impressed by their development there. Definitely makes this worth a look for me.
Heroes of Steel RPG was released in 2014 and its last major update (new playable character & story) was in March 2023. In fairness, the previous major update was in October 2019, but I feel like you could get ambushed by a surprise update for nearly anything they release at any time.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Did that game have a demo?
I swear I played the demo, but I don't see a link to it on Steam.

Either way, cool, I imagine I'll have gotten bored with Disgaea in 11 days time :v: I need to stop buying so many games....
There was a demo during Strategy Fest
https://steamdb.info/app/2059870/

You can still play it if you still have it installed :ssh:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/laugh-til-you-die-multiplayer-mayhem

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PlateUp and Heavenly Bodies are both very good with friends and both support Steam Remote Play Together!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Quick Divinity Original Sin 2 question - we’re about to leave Fort Joy and go to the next act. Can we go back? If we can’t, what about the magic mirror?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Quick Divinity Original Sin 2 question - we’re about to leave Fort Joy and go to the next act. Can we go back? If we can’t, what about the magic mirror?

You can't.
There's a magic mirror on the boat for the rest of the game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sorry for being late on this. Here's what looks interesting to me in October. People are already discussing Diablo IV, THPS 1 & 2 and Disgaea 7, so no need to include those. Why the big gap between now and the 12th? Well, there's a Steam Next Fest next week. So some indies are probably keeping their releases out of that initial 48 hour window.

Old School (out now) - It's a new (?) MDickie game. I have no idea why the classroom is on fire, or why a student is holding up a car tire. Ooblets (out now) - the hyper-colorful life sim finally comes to Steam to only mild grumbling from bitter Steam reviewers.

Wargroove 2 (out now) - Advance Wars clone now has its Advance Wars 2. This one is co-developed by Robotality (Pathway) and has three campaigns in it. Thief Simulator 2 (out now) - I seem to recall people having janky fun with the first stealth-em-up.

Silent Hope (out now) - Takes the combat/setting of Rune Factory away from the farming, and adopts a roguelite structure. Battle Shapers (out now, Early Access) - A candy-coated FPS roguelite with a lot of mobility. One reviewer says "Roboquest with Doom Eternal mechanics".

Saltsea Chronicles (Oct 12) - Narrative CYOA by the developer of Mutazione. Lords of the Fallen (Oct 13) - Pretend the old one didn't exist. Mulligan!

Outpath (Oct 16) - Looks to be a first-person cubey take on Forager. Sonic Superstars (Oct 16) - The gang's all here! Christian Whitehead has already said the game is built on Sonic Mania's physics so this is the closest a modern Sonic Team game is gonna get to actually feeling like a decent 2D Sonic.

Wizard with a Gun (Oct 17) - What if Don't Starve Together had a lot more shooting in it? Well probably a lot less starving. Hellboy: Web of Wyrd (Oct 18) - The dev of West of Dead seems a natural fit for Mignola's high-contrast art.. the trailer way back when gave no explanation but I guess it's a roguelite?

Agatha Christie - Murder on the Orient Express (Oct 18) - If it's a Poirot game, you know it's Microids. Microids built a new studio in Lyon and this is their first production. The ABC Murders was actually decent, while the Poirot games by Blazing Griffin have had more mixed reviews... I guess we'll see where this one falls. Jackbox Party Pack 10 (Oct 19) - I don't like knowing this franchise has existed for 10 years now. Features Tee-KO 2 along with new games FixyText, Timejinx, Hypnotorious and Dodo Re Mi.

Gargoyles Remastered (Oct 19) - I legit do not know who asked for this but here's a remake of the SNES game Gargoyles?? Endless Dungeon (Oct 19) - It's finally coming out this time for real!

Cavern of Dreams (Oct 19) - 3D platformer inspired by and designed to look like the N64 classics. Forgive Me Father 2 (Oct 19, Early Access) - Sequel to last year's uneven but entertaining noir-Craftian FPS.

The 7th Guest VR (Oct 19) - By Vertigo Games (Arizona Sunshine, A Fisherman's Tale), it looks to make an actual legitimate puzzle adventure out of the skeleton of the original, with all new FMV actors/acting and new rooms/puzzles. Cattails 2: Wildwood Story (Oct 20) - The unofficial warrior cats life sim returns and I know a couple of goons will enjoy this one. Apparently the dev team is just a husband and wife?

Slay the Princess (Oct 20) - An all-new horror VN for this spooky month by Abby Howard (Scarlet Hollow). Noreya: the Gold Project (Oct 23) - It's a Metroidvania, I have to include it. You thought you'd make it through the whole month without one? Hahahahaha. Will have a demo at Next Fest.

Vengeance of Mr. Peppermint (Oct 23) - Might be more style than substance but I'll always give a shoutout to a game inspired by films like Oldboy and Lady Vengeance. Maybe don't be AS on the nose with the title next time, though. MGS Collection Vol 1. (Oct 24) - Colonel... they're milking it again.

Scene Investigators (Oct 24) - The developer of The Painscreek Killings wants to test your deductive noodle with these crime scenes and absolutely no hand-holding (also not a lot of interactivity either, at least based on the demo). Dark Envoy (Oct 24) - A 'guns and sorcery' RPG by the developer of Tower of Time, which looks to have more conventional RTWP combat (compared to ToT's odder wave-based battles) and online co-op.

Cities: Skylines 2 (Oct 24) - With SimCity long dead and buried this is basically the defacto kingpin in sims. Ripout (Oct 24, Early Access) - Stop me if you've heard this one before: a 3D Realms-published boomer shooter launching in Early Access! This one looks to have much less retro appeal, however, opting for a modern horror vibe.

Crymachina (Oct 24) - IDK if it will be any good, it probably won't be, but it's FuRyu and they always develop (or outsource) interesting messes. Ghostrunner II (Oct 26) - Did you know the sequel existed? Did you know it's already coming out? Did you know it's got a motorcycle in it this time?

JUSANT (Oct 31) - DON'T NOD tries their hand at the mountain climbing genre and it seems like it's going to be quite lovely. This Bed We Made (Nov 1) - A narrative game where you play a maid snooping on the tenants of a 1950s hotel and see what secret machinations they're getting up to. GREAT premise for a game.

Thirsty Suitors (Nov 2) - Do battle with your exes, not with fighting like Scott Pilgrim, but words and flirting. Robocop: Rogue City (Nov 2) - Teyon, developer of Terminator Resistance, hopes to bring that same "better than I expected" 7 out of 10 energy to a franchise that has been without a good game since.... actually has it had a good game at all? Like the original arcade game wasn't that great....

Star Ocean: The Second Story Remake (Nov 2) - It's that HD-2D look you know you love(/hate?), and it's being applied to the one Star Ocean game most gamers agree is "the good one". The Talos Principle 2 (Nov 2) - It's been 9 years, 9 years too many. The world has been begging for another game about setting up tripods, and finally it's back.

Hey waaait a minute some of those were from November! Well I was late wasn't I, I figure I might as well peek into those first couple days. Plus I'll be on vacation at the end of the month anyway. Playing video games, of course!!! What am I, some sort of socializing... getaway-enjoyer? Get me away from the socializing, I say, I got video games to play!!

As far as non-Steam goes, don't sleep on Mario Wonder

Orv
May 4, 2011
To answer your question, no, there has never been a good Robocop game and I don't think this one will be breaking the streak either. Though it might be unintentionally very funny, from some of the clips going around.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

... actually has it had a good game at all? Like the original arcade game wasn't that great....

Jydge

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

I've been hyped for this game since it was announced. I played the original Cyber Knights years ago and even bought the Hund/full game upgrade (you can get a dog, which is worth more than non-dog stuff, imo). Templar Battleforce was a fun tactical game (you play as not-Space Marines), and Star Traders: Frontiers (not-Rogue Trader) was and still is great (and still getting updates like every month or so, with new stuff).

Glad to see all the Trese Brothers love in this thread. Those dudes rule, and I will probably slam-buy every single thing they put out for the rest of their careers.

edit: just read their steam announcement for the trailer (https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1021210/view/3737481075240530314) and the early access is going to include all the features except base-building. I can't wait to dig into the stuff the demo locked off.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 6, 2023

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

beats for junkies posted:

Glad to see all the Trese Brothers love in this thread. Those dudes rule, and I will probably slam-buy every single thing they put out for the rest of their careers.

Same, I'm hooked on the Brothers

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

been enjoying mortal sin https://store.steampowered.com/app/1494810/Mortal_Sin/

do you enjoy the cleave and the slice? the hack and the slash? the bash and the crush? the punch and the kick?

you should play mortal sin

it's a roguelite first person melee combat game, and it's a lot of fun

fps melee usually sucks, it feels good here, and the game seems enthusiastic about making you hilariously powerful so you can cut apart entire rooms

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

What's the word on Ooblets? I know it's a goofy lifesim and there's drama about it going on Epic, but is the game itself good?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ooblets might actually be too twee

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ooblets came out on switch a year ago??

Hwurmp posted:

Ooblets might actually be too twee

Also this

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The Star Ocean remake is a really cool art style pretty distinct from what I think of as HD-2D, and it was one of my favorite JRPGs as a kid. But man for whatever reason I’m worried it’s one of those things that’d just be a memory-ruiner to play it again.

Anno fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 7, 2023

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

victrix posted:

been enjoying mortal sin https://store.steampowered.com/app/1494810/Mortal_Sin/

do you enjoy the cleave and the slice? the hack and the slash? the bash and the crush? the punch and the kick?

you should play mortal sin

it's a roguelite first person melee combat game, and it's a lot of fun

fps melee usually sucks, it feels good here, and the game seems enthusiastic about making you hilariously powerful so you can cut apart entire rooms

Ooh yeah I've been keeping my eye on this: as usual haven't jumped in yet because it's in early access, but it's mighty tempting. Saw that they got a recent combat overhaul and other cool stuff. I know it's a roguelite and it might not matter that much, but is there any sort of story/lore element to it? I always find that element helps a little, like Hades, though I can certainly appreciate rougelites that just cut to the chase and focus on gameplay.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Anno posted:

The Star Ocean remake is a really cool art style pretty distinct from what I think of as HD-2D, and it was one of my favorite JRPGs as a kid. But man for whatever reason I’m worried it’s one of those things that’d just be a memory-ruined to play it again.
They did away with the "entire world stops for casters" so battles will go by quickly.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Thief Simulator 2 has a double discount if you own the original and order that one bundle for 19% off. You have more tools to rob people with and you can knock them out with violence. I just hope they fixed the map issue that existed in the first game where feature bloat caused slowdown and objects to render as opened.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I've been on the hunt for an easy to jump in and out poker game and I've gotta say Prominence Poker is doing a pretty good job. I've just been playing on the free chips I get issued and have put 40+ hours into it over the past few weeks.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Ooh yeah I've been keeping my eye on this: as usual haven't jumped in yet because it's in early access, but it's mighty tempting. Saw that they got a recent combat overhaul and other cool stuff. I know it's a roguelite and it might not matter that much, but is there any sort of story/lore element to it? I always find that element helps a little, like Hades, though I can certainly appreciate rougelites that just cut to the chase and focus on gameplay.

not a lot of story, but it's pretty feature full as far as gameplay goes, three areas you can tackle in any order leading to a finale, tons of classes and weapons, tons of items

I also really like its take on meta progression (which I generally either tolerate or actively dislike), it's similar to Card Quest for the two people in the audience who know that one - basically each time you complete a level in any route you unlock new stuff immediately - no currency farming

you can easily see if you like it inside the refund window, there's no fat, it's a good coffee break murder simulator

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

You can't.
There's a magic mirror on the boat for the rest of the game.

Thanks!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FutureCop posted:

Since we're all talking about hacking games like DROP, and I very much like to flatter 7th Guest by following his example of recommending cool stuff, one that showed up for me recently was Deadeye Deepfake Simulacrum which I've been very interested in:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256823420/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1663455361

Very much a top-down cyperpunk immersive-sim like Prey or Deus Ex with a heavy focus on giving you tons of builds and powers that can be used to creatively get through challenging missions.

On one hand, you can treat this like a top-down shooter similar to Hotline Miami: just drive your car right through the wall of the mission building and start kicking down doors, blasting all of the guards with your arsenal of crazy weapons. When the going gets tough, use your cybernetic powers to work the odds in your favor: overload your brain to slow down time, power up your arms to eliminate recoil completely, pull up a shield to deflect bullets away from you, and so on. Once everyone is down, hacking the objective is as simple as strolling up to it, as well as picking up all of the other collectible upgrade points hidden in levels.

But why work harder when you could work smarter? Instead of driving your car through the wall, just park yourself outside the building, sit down, pull out your laptop, and start camera hopping like Watch Dogs 2 to get a layout of the land. From there, start tapping in code into your laptop like Quadtilateral Cowboy and work your magic: disable all of the cameras, turn the automated turrets against them, detonate that grenade on that guard, hell if you're slick enough with your hacks you might be able to get to the server without killing a soul or raising an alarm and just drive away. But until you get that slick, you'll have to beware of counterhacks that will hinder you in rather creative fourth-wall breaking ways, like tilting your view at an angle or blacking out parts of your screen.

At the end of the day you'll probably use a fusion of abilities for both combat and hacking. For example, if you slow down time in combat, you can flip out your laptop and hack that missile heading towards you and rotate it to return to sender. Or you can camera hop to disable all of the guards' weapons to give you an advantage before you go in and shoot them all with your silent pistol room-by-room. Set up some crazy Rube Goldberg machine accidents like Desperados 3 where you lure guards with sound and the like: there's so much to do. The game features a main story where you're trying to repay your resurrection debt, but you can also take tons of side missions for cash and upgrades similar to something like Uplink.

It's in early access at the moment so I haven't played it for realsies yet (I like to wait for full release), but I very much enjoyed what the demo had to show. If you like to wait like me, consider playing some of the other games I highlighted here to whet your appetite.

Synthbuttrange posted:

deadeye deepfake simulacrum is written with an incredible case of brainworms and im here for it

Jossar posted:

I've barely heard of most of those. It's like what was said earlier in the thread: there are so many people pouring their hearts out on things that nobody will every play.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1545990/Deadeye_Deepfake_Simulacrum/

Has anyone played Deadeye Deepfake Simulacrum ? It looks like OG Deux Ex meets the "art style" of Adventure from Atari 2600

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MUEXGaxFDA&t=2461s
This video actually doesn't talk about the game but I like it better than what's actually on the store page. I've got it time-indexed to 41:01

"UwU-core deus ex with cruelty squad characteristics."
"This game lets you make it into whatever genre you thought this game was at first look"
"Deadeye Deepfake Simulacrum is an amazing reminder of why indie passion projects are awesome. made by one developer, its like an UWUcore mix of cruelty squad, deus ex and quadrilateral cowboy."

Reviews look really really good, it was released to early access last october as v0.6 and as of this september they're up to v0.7.5 with a load of updates inbetween but the above quoted is the only stuff I can find about Deadeye Deepfake Simulacrum here in the thread.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Anno posted:

The Star Ocean remake is a really cool art style pretty distinct from what I think of as HD-2D, and it was one of my favorite JRPGs as a kid. But man for whatever reason I’m worried it’s one of those things that’d just be a memory-ruiner to play it again.

Playing the demo on Steam made me feel like a kid again, it was really impressive how much effort they had put into this remake

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

I've been playing a bit of Lamplighters League on the Gamepass, but I've been struggling with it.

The controls during the stealth bits are pretty awful; I'm pretty sure it's designed for a controller and keyboard/mouse was an afterthought. You can control you guys with WASD in an Isometric view; which feels weird but is probably the intended way. You can also move them by clicking around, but it is a mess.

The camera follows whoever you're controlling, you cannot pan around at will unless you go into Recon mode, which also absolutely tanks your FPS for whatever reason.

If using the mouse to direct your dudes, you don't really have a lot of fine tuned control. If I tell a guy to hide behind a crate, he will probably go to the crate and then vault over it for some reason, immediately getting caught out. If you double click to run, you cannot single click to switch to walk; he will keep running. Occasionally, my guy will run past the spot I clicked on, and just keep trucking. I have no idea what's causing this and can't replicate it when I try. All the clicking around feels like an "estimation" of what you want and not where I actually clicked. When click-running past another character, for example, I'd somehow end up selecting them and making them move, even if I didn't click directly on them. I fixed this by changing the movement clicks to right click.

A lot of things need the space bar to confirm, some things need a click, some things can be either. I have a guy who can shoot two different targets, but it's not clear who I have already selected and confirmed and who I have not. I often shoot things I didn't meant to shoot, or shoot the same guy twice when I wanted to spread it out.

Finally, if you're the type to save scum when you get caught, there is no quick save or quick load. You'll have to manually save which takes a lot longer than expected; and when you load, not only does it also take a bit, but then it does this whole spiffy title sequence thing. It's cool the first time, but after so many reloads, it gets pretty annoying.

I'm bitching a lot here, but everything else has been great. The actual turn based combat is fun and the characters all seem pretty unique (of course in sneak mode, they're all samey and one of 3 archetypes). The stealthing just needs serious rework or even entirely removed--the actual bits Harebrained is known for, turn based combat, is good as ever.

Resonance22 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 7, 2023

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

tries to fight a volcano; loses

but my cat has new gear!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Strix is this your first go-around with Monster Hunter? Have fun, World is great.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

goferchan posted:

Strix is this your first go-around with Monster Hunter? Have fun, World is great.

Second! ... but this is the first time the monomania has hit this hard. I'm playing Monster Hunter Freedom, 4U and World simultaneously and developing opinions on how the franchise has evolved over the years :pseudo:

Last time I made it far enough in to fight the world's coolest bat. This time I'd like to beat the game.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What game is your volcano boss fight from? Some version of monster hunter?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hadlock posted:

What game is your volcano boss fight from? Some version of monster hunter?

Monster Hunter World!

e: If you look at its steam page there’s a shitload of dlc. Literally all of it with one exception is cosmetic. The exception is Iceborne, which is an old-school expansion pack, with content you access very late in the game. If you’re new to Monster Hunter, base game World is a fantastic starting place.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 7, 2023

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
World is excellent. Iceborne is excellent. Two good-rear end games in one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

StrixNebulosa posted:

Monster Hunter World!

e: If you look at its steam page there’s a shitload of dlc. Literally all of it with one exception is cosmetic. The exception is Iceborne, which is an old-school expansion pack, with content you access very late in the game. If you’re new to Monster Hunter, base game World is a fantastic starting place.

iceborne also adds the ability to actually craft cosmetics / "layered armor" by hunting monsters like you could in all the previous games. in base mhw it's impossible, probably to try and get people to buy all the cosmetic dlc, so without paying real money you only get a scant few dress-up bits from events.
but now that I think about it that might need g-rank parts so it's pointless until you're able to handle the lategame content it adds anyways