Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've seen a lot of this sentiment and yeah it definitely feels like they cut out scenes that weren't directly tied to the gameplay in the demo. So you got cutscenes like when you first pick your monster and when the tower gets built, as well as the couple of cutscenes after arena fights, but then a few spots where it felt like there should've been some info of some kind it just didn't have anything.

I'm hoping a lot of the roughness was just due to them deciding to cut together a short demo for people because making a competent DQM that sells well outside of Japan would be a huge boost for the series. Especially since Joker 3 and DQM2 3D were both really drat good.

There's also a translation for Joker 3 Professional (there's not much, if any, reason to play Joker 3 over Joker 3 pro). 3 pro adds a bunch of extra content, monsters, and QoL mechanics as well as a "just skip me ahead" option if you've played the game and want to move along but a new player can and should just ignore that function and play the game like normal.

Do you have a link to the 3 Pro translation too? Would be interested, the only one I have is so old that it was just an attempt to put the 3 translation in it (and so everything new to Pro is untranslated).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've mentioned it before, ITT. I was part of the team that did the Joker 3 patch. The idea was to NOT release the Joker 3 patch and only release the pro patch, however the head programmer/hacker/project leader basically got stumped by a few things that were causing issue with the patch, like character lengths and line breaks. Since he couldn't figure it out, he gave up when pro was about 90% done and just released the vanilla Joker 3 patch a year or so later than the planned release of pro. I offered to finish the remaining work on pro if he would make test patches for me, to which he agreed, but some egregious amount of time passed (like over a year, possibly almost two years) and he still wasn't doing anything for me, so I just leaked the raw files that some random person merged with a machine translation of pro 3.

So in short, if you play the pro 3 patch, it should be fully playable but will have some jank to it; there was never an editing pass to fix the raw story text (which was the extra work I offered to do but never got around to due to lack of cooperation) which was translated by a native speaker who wasn't the best at English. My specific role was handing monster/item names, descriptions, spell and ability descriptions, etc since I actually knew the game from playing it Japanese and could clarify things rather than simply translating them, and there might be some inconsistencies from when it was merged with the machine translation on this front. For the most part, it should use localized names where available and names I came up with for other things based off how I would localize them. Not sure what damage was done by multiple people screwing around and changing things they shouldn't have, but hey, you can play the game and probably make sense of most of it, and that's what matters!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was planning on playing Joker 3 because newer = betterer :v: Still, should I check out the DQM1&2 remakes?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I only played earlier joker games but I didn't like them much compared to dqm 1&2

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Prism posted:

Do you have a link to the 3 Pro translation too? Would be interested, the only one I have is so old that it was just an attempt to put the 3 translation in it (and so everything new to Pro is untranslated).

I don't, but it should come up in one of the first hits in a search. I think it was on dragon's den or some other long-standing DQ community site.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Unlucky7 posted:

I was planning on playing Joker 3 because newer = betterer :v: Still, should I check out the DQM1&2 remakes?

The 1 and 2 remakes actually came out after Joker 3 and Joker 3 Pro, if you wanna play the newest ones.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

serefin99 posted:

The 1 and 2 remakes actually came out after Joker 3 and Joker 3 Pro, if you wanna play the newest ones.

No, Joker 3 and Joker 3 pro are the newest games in the series prior to the Switch game coming in Dec. DQM 1 came out before 3DS XLs did, DQM 2 came out sometime in the first half of the 2010s, and Joker 3/pro came out around the time the Switch did.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I finished Infinity Strash and it just ended super abruptly after a boss battle that wasn't even one of the six main legion commanders or Hadlar. Just celebrating winning the battle for 30 seconds and a jump cut to credits!

I looked up where this is in the anime, and it is like exactly 41 and a half episodes in. Out of 100.

So bizarre. Are they releasing the rest as dlc or something?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I finished Infinity Strash and it just ended super abruptly after a boss battle that wasn't even one of the six main legion commanders or Hadlar. Just celebrating winning the battle for 30 seconds and a jump cut to credits!

I looked up where this is in the anime, and it is like exactly 41 and a half episodes in. Out of 100.

So bizarre. Are they releasing the rest as dlc or something?

Huh weird it sounds like the final boss is Sovereign Rock, which is an odd end point. Cause there is a battle against Mystvearn and Killvearn immediately after. Then right after that Dai duels an upgraded Hadlar which a fight that ends on a good cliffhanger and the reveal of Vearn. I feel that would have bees better stopping point for a part 1

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

BabyRyoga posted:

No, Joker 3 and Joker 3 pro are the newest games in the series prior to the Switch game coming in Dec. DQM 1 came out before 3DS XLs did, DQM 2 came out sometime in the first half of the 2010s, and Joker 3/pro came out around the time the Switch did.

...Oh, I don't know why I thought they were reversed. I coulda swore I saw something saying they were but Google corroborates you so-

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

serefin99 posted:

...Oh, I don't know why I thought they were reversed. I coulda swore I saw something saying they were but Google corroborates you so-

Maybe you're thinking about DQM 2 SP, which is technically the latest, but that's only for Android. I think if you can get/downgrade to a specific version, 1.0.3 (?), somewhere, there's a patch that applies the 3DS translation to that + newer stuff.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The Joker 3 pro translation is probably complete, or mostly so since I haven't done 100% of the content to confirm it. Mechanics like battle ride/merge are all translated at least, as are the extra Reactor abilities added in pro.

BabyRyoga posted:

Joker 3 pro also lets you upload a monster from DQM2 3D(of up to A rank) or from Joker 3 (of any rank) once a day if you have a save file from those games, with the monster being level 1 with base lvl 1 stats. I messed with my Citra system clock to load in a half dozen or so monsters and it's very funny playing DQM3 Joker and immediately tossing stuff like a metal king slime and prism peacock into my team. Also moved over some gem slimes and my SS rank Battlerex (or whatever it's actually called) from my Joker 3 playthrough.

A base stat lvl 1 metal king slime is not nearly as durable as you'd hope. It has barely more defense than other lvl 1 monsters to start with and while it still has its metal body and all those immunities and resists, until you get some levels and maybe synth it with a golem or w/e for higher hp it can die surprisingly easily to stuff like the Carnivine in the 2nd area.

Meanwhile the first skill Starkers learns is Kafrizz at 20pts which means being able to drop 100+ damage on stuff very early on. :hellyeah:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Huh weird it sounds like the final boss is Sovereign Rock, which is an odd end point. Cause there is a battle against Mystvearn and Killvearn immediately after. Then right after that Dai duels an upgraded Hadlar which a fight that ends on a good cliffhanger and the reveal of Vearn. I feel that would have bees better stopping point for a part 1

When I heard where Strash ends my immediate thought was "they want to milk this with DLC" because yeah it makes no drat sense otherwise.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Playing through DQ3 on Switch. Great game. Way less tedious than DQ2 on NES. I've hit one of those "wtf do I do now" moments though. I know the Lover's Locket unlocks an area, but I can't find anyone giving hints. I went to every town again and spoke to everyone. I must have missed something. I think I'm just going to have to wander around and use it in random places. No spoilers please, but did I just miss an obvious hint somewhere? There are a few love stricken maidens, but they aren't giving hints and don't do anything if I wave the thing in their face.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 7, 2023

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Hmmm. Maybe check the little shrines out in the world that you come across sometimes?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hmm. No. Going to the monsters arena.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The slime is getting lucky this time, I can feel it

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I read that DQM Switch demo notice again and I am still very unsure exactly what is carried over. The whole "You will get your monsters but not at the level you made them" makes me hesitant to play any more.

Going back to J3Pro and Citra, did anyone get the current Citra builds working well with that game? When I tried, it was incredibly studdery to the point where it was borderline unplayable. But then I found that there is a certain nightly build that works well with the game (1543, which is a couple years old) so I tried that and while not perfect it was a huge improvement. Apparently, this was because that after that build, they reworked CPU timings in a way that improved things for certain games but also caused big performance issues for others, and J3Pro was one of those, but decided that the former outnumbered the latter so they would not reverse it and maybe save that when they do another pass on it. Either it does not seem like they did that or there is an option I haven't tried.

Did anyone else manage to get it into a workable state for modern builds?

EDIT: I did a thread search and it looks like it is still a firm no.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 7, 2023

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The slime is getting lucky this time, I can feel it
this would be a good thread title imo

(is the lover's locket the item that was on GBC as the LuvMemory? the one you find on a boat? if so, a hint I can give you that hopefully is not too spoily is to think about the kinds of people that stereotypically have lockets in media and what that tends to mean)

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I figured it out but it still took me a minute. And that hint wouldn't have been spoily...I uh, still don't get it. I don't know who typically has a locket in media...

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 7, 2023

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Everyone who piddles on DQ2 has always only played it on the original NES, where it was indeed not brilliant. I've played through the SFC version and the iPad version and both were much better.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DQ2's endgame on the NES was a war of attrition. You vs the rng and just bullshit the game threw at you.

On mobile it's a nice, fun time.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Nes dq2 puts hair on your chest

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I saved my money for NES DQ2, had to drive an hour to find a store that had it, and convince my Dad to let me spend all my money on it. It blew my mind at the time! Multiple enemies! Multiple party members! The entire world of the first game was just a tiny part of the bigger world! :monocle:

It was bullshit RNG, but so were lots of games back then. Even my Mom beat that game, though. :smug:

That said, the newer versions are way better and DQ2 is unfairly maligned. The music's great, too!

Luceo fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 8, 2023

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I remember spending tens of dollars repeatedly renting DW3 until I beat it from a local corner store back in the days when you could rent Nintendo games almost everywhere. I don't think any game besides SMB3 captured my attention that much.

As an aside, that shop had a copy of "Super Mario Bros 2" that I had never seen or heard of, and remembering back it it was the Lost Levels with a Famicom adaptor, and this was several years before North America would get a version. Pretty cool at the time.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I sometimes think about how much money my parents spent on me renting Dragon Warrior 2 and 3(my cousins had DW1 so I could always just borrow that) and how much better it'd be if we had just bought those two games, but really mostly 3.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I figured it out but it still took me a minute. And that hint wouldn't have been spoily...I uh, still don't get it. I don't know who typically has a locket in media...
Reasonable. I was thinking my love went away to sea (or to war, often) style stuff.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My first Dragon Quest was IV and frankly it gave me unrealistic expectations of the gender ratio in every single rpg I played since.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Mustached Demon posted:

DQ2's endgame on the NES was a war of attrition. You vs the rng and just bullshit the game threw at you.

Or, as I learned somewhat recently, it's really NBD if you use the Falcon Sword glitch. Just gotta StopSpell/Fizzle the Gold Batboons and Sleep/Snooze the Bullwongs. It's also way easier than the FC original, which did not feature a full heal + revival NPC at the end shrine.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Ofecks posted:

Just gotta StopSpell/Fizzle the Gold Batboons and Sleep/Snooze the Bullwongs.

I have no idea why reading this sentence made me laugh out loud as it does actually makes sense. To a select few.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Luceo posted:

That said, the newer versions are way better and DQ2 is unfairly maligned.

Agreed. When I played the mobile version about... six? years ago, I ended up maxing out my entire party because I was trying to get a Mysterious Hat for the prince. All of the versions apart from the NES have one in a box in That Cave (you know the one), but the only way to get one for your other caster is via pure RNG. Needless to say, the final boss was a chump.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Wee Bairns posted:

I remember spending tens of dollars repeatedly renting DW3 until I beat it from a local corner store back in the days when you could rent Nintendo games almost everywhere. I don't think any game besides SMB3 captured my attention that much.

As an aside, that shop had a copy of "Super Mario Bros 2" that I had never seen or heard of, and remembering back it it was the Lost Levels with a Famicom adaptor, and this was several years before North America would get a version. Pretty cool at the time.

I rented DW3 and 4 a bunch until a friend of my brother's said they owned both and so I just ended up borrowing them for weeks/months at a time to play through.

I did the same with Breath of Fire 3 until one day when I was going to rent it my mom saw a copy of it for sale for $7 at the rental place (which was still offering it for rent too), bought it, and played the hell out of it until I finally beat it.

YggiDee posted:

My first Dragon Quest was IV and frankly it gave me unrealistic expectations of the gender ratio in every single rpg I played since.

At least you got an early introduction to the overused Three Female Character Types trope out of it too.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I played DW2 NES on my NES, maybe 10 years ago? My brother got it for me for my birthday. I tried not using a guide but some of those friggin sigils, how would you ever know where to find them? I made it through the Cave to Rhone without it, though, and by that point my party was so OP that the final boss went out like a little bitch. It was so anticlimactic how easy that was. Never played again until the Switch remake which was way more reasonable.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

I played DW2 NES on my NES, maybe 10 years ago? My brother got it for me for my birthday. I tried not using a guide but some of those friggin sigils, how would you ever know where to find them? I made it through the Cave to Rhone without it, though, and by that point my party was so OP that the final boss went out like a little bitch. It was so anticlimactic how easy that was. Never played again until the Switch remake which was way more reasonable.

I mentioned how I over level capped in DQ2 mobile while trying to get a Mysterious Hat, but I did the same thing in Final Fantasy 1 for different reasons. My first playthrough, I had the typical party of knight/monk/white mage/black mage. The Marsh Cave had traumatised me and being poisoned by Gas Dragons in the final dungeon had terrified me, so I assumed that he final boss would be an absolute beast. So, I levelled everyone up to max level before I fought Chaos... and he died in two moves. Black Mage cast haste on Monk, Monk hit Chaos 20-some times for 2011 damage - game over.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I beat dq1 and 2 on my phone

No idea if they are considered even remotely decent versions of those games, but I had a lot of fun

I started 3 on my phone shortly after and got overwhelmed by the sheer amount of variety the characters can have from the off, and checked out from choice paralysis...perhaps I should go back one day

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Meowywitch posted:

No idea if they are considered even remotely decent versions of those games, but I had a lot of fun

I started 3 on my phone shortly after and got overwhelmed by the sheer amount of variety the characters can have from the off, and checked out from choice paralysis...perhaps I should go back one day

They're all fine versions to enjoy. 3 has a better version with the TnT mini game but it's still fine on mobile. You can always randomize the three if you want. Then change whoever into a sage if you want a sage.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Meowywitch posted:

It's hard to go wrong with DQ 1, even the original NES version isn't so long that it wears out its welcome, and all the remakes smooth things out even more.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

We're approaching the end of XI. Tell me thread, what is it that I should be playing VII on. PS1 or 3DS? I've not any concern about the length of time the game shall take nor so called ease of use. Translation and bugs are more concerning to me.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

We're approaching the end of XI. Tell me thread, what is it that I should be playing VII on. PS1 or 3DS? I've not any concern about the length of time the game shall take nor so called ease of use. Translation and bugs are more concerning to me.
i'm 50 hours into ps1 dq7 so let me recommend the 3ds version

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Most people playing in English should go with the 3DS version. If you're not one of them, you already know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Idk how much emulation fixes it but load times alone killed the psx version for me as a teen, whereas I finished and loved the 3ds version last year