Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
The Pendulum Color 1, 2, and 3 got announced. They're merging the .5s into the base versions, thank god. They also mention one digimon cannot jogress yet, basically confirming the 4, 5 and 6 in the future.

As a treat they showed of a new jogress mon: Tlalocmon

Edit: Can't believe I forgot to post the commercial.

https://twitter.com/WithTheWill/status/1708688139148296349

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Tlalocmon looks cool.

That certainly is a bizarre commercial tho.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Alright folks, early showings in Japan are over so the whole plot of the movie is online. Be careful if you don't want to be spoiled before you can watch in a theater.

On that note I'll put my thoughts on a separate link so no accidental mousing over: https://pastebin.com/uSxpL5W5

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It sounds like a stupid mess full of plotholes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Without spoilers is it stupider than either Tri or LE:K?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Alright folks, early showings in Japan are over so the whole plot of the movie is online. Be careful if you don't want to be spoiled before you can watch in a theater.

On that note I'll put my thoughts on a separate link so no accidental mousing over: https://pastebin.com/uSxpL5W5

Is it better than the previous attempts at doing Adventure movies at least?

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
I'll just link to the WTW thread with the summary as that's what I'm commenting on: https://withthewill.net/threads/adventure-02-the-beginning-spoiler-thread.30099/

drrockso20 posted:

About as stupid, but maybe better imo. I'm still gonna watch it.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 5, 2023

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Sounds stupider because it deals with retcons of established facts instead of just inserting new ones

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Well just those snippets make the film sound weird and laughable, but not nearly as bizarrely toxic as DA:LEK. Of course that's an UNBELIEVABLY low bar to clear.

Also LOL at the retcons they're pulling. Like, the person admits they aren't that hot at Japanese so some nuance was likely lost, and I'm not opposed to this just being fundamentally a character piece seemingly without a lot of action, but, um, it's asking quite a lot to suddenly make the ENTIRE SETTING retroactively revolve around some new dude and his ugly looking partner. Given Lui is an entirely new character who has literally never existed before this point I simply do not believe that a Digimon movie can pull it off, especially one on this side of Tri. If the movies couldn't do right by Meiko in 6+ films I'm not exactly betting on Lui when he has only 1.

Weirdly though I think I'm more interested in watching it now though. I gotta see this poo poo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly that's hilarious because now I'm even more convinced that removing the entire Adventure sub-franchise from existence really would be a positive thing for Digimon, with how it keeps getting exploited for cheap nostalgia with the worst stuff the franchise has ever put out.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I didn't exactly have high hopes for the movie because 02 itself is bad, but honestly this makes me more excited to see how they hosed this one up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

plotholes are badass

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sleeping Sigma posted:

About as stupid, but maybe better imo. I'm still gonna watch it.

Wait you haven't watched it?

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wait you haven't watched it?

No, I read the plot summary from the wtw thread here:https://withthewill.net/threads/adventure-02-the-beginning-spoiler-thread.30099/
It played out roughly how I expected based on the director's comments about Davis/Lui, the skits at Digifes and the translated lyrics of the ending theme song. I doubt my judgement of it on a stupidness scale compared to Tri and DALEK will change much when I do get to actually watch it.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 6, 2023

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Kizuna surprised me with how much I enjoyed it compared to the spoilers so maybe this will do the same, but… it doesn’t really sound like it will. I just skimmed them though, maybe I missed some cool parts or something

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Every so often I think about how Nanimon is the weird uncle Oyajitchi from Tamagotchi and I smile

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
More filled out, in depth movie summary:

https://withthewill.net/threads/adventure-02-the-beginning-spoiler-thread.30099/post-442250

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The expanded summary makes the movie sound much more coherent, but I'm still rolling my eyes at the baseline pitch. Y'all prolly could have told this story without the weirdo retcon, and heck the story might actually hold together better without it. Say what you will but the story sounds like it's primarily about a kid and his Digimon partner learning to understand each other and that and the presumptive message of the story is about as Digimon as it gets. I guess making the antagonistic force load-bearing is there to give stakes to why they don't just go in guns blazing, but at the same time 02 was a series where they made a big deal about not wanting to escalate immediately to lethal violence (for a while at least). It probably could have just been a character piece writ large without needing some BIG REVEAL.

Also this summary makes it sound like the whole thing has some pretty big plot holes in the story. I'm certainly not going to say for sure they're in the movie because it's just a summary, but given Tri and DA:LEK had serious story issues all throughout them I'm not exactly banking on the film to tie things up nicely.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m going to watch the movie before I complain about it

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

thetoughestbean posted:

I'm not going to watch it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm not sure what's dumber, thinking 02 is bad or trying to discern the quality of a movie from someone's blog where they're not 100% on the translating of what's going on or being said.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

02 kinda bad, even if it does have wormmon. The 2nd best digimon

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SyntheticPolygon posted:

02 kinda bad, even if it does have wormmon. The 2nd best digimon

Of course, Wormmon and Stingmon being amazing just makes it even more tragic that they exist solely to fuel Veemon's perfect and mega forms.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like Palidramon splits the difference pretty well on feeling like a combo of worm & vee. Better than the others at least.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

King of Solomon posted:

Of course, Wormmon and Stingmon being amazing just makes it even more tragic that they exist solely to fuel Veemon's perfect and mega forms.

Paildramon and Imperialdramon are just as much Stingmon’s evo

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They gave Wormmon two alternate Perfect and Ultimate forms that are just for him alone.

I don’t see the problem.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Would be nice to have DinoBeemon get a moment to shine though

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

thetoughestbean posted:

Needless to say, I do not agree.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

drrockso20 posted:

Would be nice to have DinoBeemon get a moment to shine though

As a sucker for mode changes, I'd love to have a moment where a character just aggressively kept changing forms to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. I get it'd be a bitch and a half to animate, though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

thetoughestbean posted:

Paldramon maybe but Imperialdramon is basically just a Veemon evo in armor and every new form reinforces that until Paladin mode has like nothing left from the Stingmon half.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

GranKuwagamon never felt right to me as Stingmon’s Mega. It doesn’t resemble DinoBeemon or JewelBeemon in any way, nor does it match Wormmon. They just made a Mega for Kuwagamon and shoved it into the D3 since they didn’t have anything else.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I dunno. GranKuwagamon feels more like DinoBeemon than Okuwamon to me. Both it and Imperialdramon take bipedal Digimon and turn them into quadrupedal beasts with red wings and primarily black armor. Imperialdramon has gold accents, while GranKuwagamon has silver ones. Their helmet crests have very similar shapes, too. They even both get a "fighter mode" of sorts, though I know GranKuwagamon's is an X Antibody variant instead.

Hell, with Dinobeemon already hunched over, it feels natural he'd fall into GranKuwagamon's stance. They both have an explosive mane of red hair, similarly designed wings, and a triangular crest on the forehead. Outside of the giant mandibles, the changes in morphology and color needed for Okuwamon are much more drastic.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

thetoughestbean posted:

I'm going to complain about it, watch it, and probably complain more afterwards. Adventure does not deserve my pity, everything it releases is somehow a new mistake and it's become an issue for the franchise as a whole.

Also I like GranKuwagamon but also BanchoStingmon is right there for Wormmon's Ultimate and is cool as hell.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm going to complain about it, watch it, and probably complain more afterwards. Adventure does not deserve my pity, everything it releases is somehow a new mistake and it's become an issue for the franchise as a whole.

Also I like GranKuwagamon but also BanchoStingmon is right there for Wormmon's Ultimate and is cool as hell.

Who cares about whether Adventure deserves anything or not? Don’t be a loving a miserable nerd who spends their time complaining about franchises they ostensibly like

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

We should be allowed to criticize media of franchises we're fans of.

Honestly, the only thing that makes me an actual "miserable nerd" is other nerds who act like I'm somehow doing something wrong by being critical of things.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s criticism and then there’s whining about a movie you haven’t even seen

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

One can respond to summaries and stuff, while still leaving caveats that they may change their minds after seeing it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

thetoughestbean posted:

There’s criticism and then there’s whining about a movie you haven’t even seen

Being resigned to new media likely being terrible due to precedent is not whining.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Card game banlist update!

Long story short, they hit Eyesmon Scatter Mode and several cards that support it, as well as the other old purple Gabumon as a sort of semi-hit to Garuru X engine decks. They also hit BT13 GeoGreymon to slow down Shine and stop yellow vaccine and yellow hybrid from abusing it and EX4 MachGaogamon because it was the best one and they wanted to slow Gaomon down a little bit. I wish they hit Analog Youth, and obviously it would be nice to see EX5 Garurumon X getting hit at BT15's release, but I guess we'll see.

They also removed the limits on SaviorHuckmon and Tommy Himi. Savior being unlimited is fine, it diversifies Jesmon decks (and got hardcore powercreeped by SolLoogarmon anyway). I'm a little unsure on Tommy being unhit. I don't think it's going to do too much, but source strip is still a pretty solid strategy and stun is extremely annoying. It's probably fine.

The list could be better, but considering what I was expecting, I'm pretty happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Yo, they’re making Callismon real now too like Dominimon. Gonna be on the nightmare soldiers pendulum color.