Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

https://twitter.com/RangerH338/status/1638575399306240003?s=20

the way these ones blink in really fast random patterns reminds me of my sighting

That one that flares into life for a second and fades out a moment later also matches something my partner and I saw twice while up in Big Sur last weekend. I didn't bother posting about it since there's not much more to the story than that, but it's a bizarre visual effect that I can't immediately think of an explanation for.

Ours was the brightest thing in the sky for a second or two before dwindling, then appeared once more and did the same routine in a slightly different location a couple minutes later. The only thing I can think of would be a shooting star completely head on twice in a row? Or apparently the older Iridium satellites can do that while rotating their panels, but definitely weird to see something that matches it that well a week later.

Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
still think the thread should activate the alcubierre drive and cross the 4th dimension to the scary forum

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
clearly the thread itself needs a card pull to help decide

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

still think the thread should activate the alcubierre drive and cross the 4th dimension to the scary forum

no it should stay here

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

theres no monke made spherical drones that fly like that, sorry. real.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Jazerus posted:

oh hey what would folks think about flying the tic tac over to the halloween forum??? are we spooky?

Jesus loving christ please do not do this. It will get flooded with terrible posters kramerin' in to post absolute dogshit. This is one of the most special threads on the forum because it's literally the only thread this kind of stuff can be discussed seriously and also include humor that isn't dumb af. If you want a UFO thread in the spooky forum move the GBS thread it won't change at all.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Like multiple posters have worked through actual mental health issues in this thread please do not ruin it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

do not move this thread out of cspam. thanks.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

D-Pad posted:

Jesus loving christ please do not do this. It will get flooded with terrible posters kramerin' in to post absolute dogshit. This is one of the most special threads on the forum because it's literally the only thread this kind of stuff can be discussed seriously and also include humor that isn't dumb af. If you want a UFO thread in the spooky forum move the GBS thread it won't change at all.

my bony fealty posted:

do not move this thread out of cspam. thanks.

not an emptyquote

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

it would kill the vibe. worse than when Biden was blowing up sky trash and we got the NDTs coming in

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I vote to stay in the union (CSPAM), despite my love of Halloween

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I propose using the transporter to clone the thread and beam the new one to the halloween forum for the duration of anomaly season

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

D-Pad posted:

:emptyquote:

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

why ruin the one good thing?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

D-Pad posted:

Like multiple posters have worked through actual mental health issues in this thread please do not ruin it.

Carp
May 29, 2002

Hello thread. Pieces that don't fit. My depression was just fixed. It's a knot in my head that I've had since junior high, and might go back further. I had found all the ways into the knot, and then, in a flash of clarity, just now, it simply unraveled and I'm left with an urge to post on SomethingAwful.com.

When I was young there came a time when other children started to form into groups and I felt it was wrong to exclude others, to behave differently towards one person than another. It seemed so basic. I was taught and nurtured to believe that one should treat others as they themselves would like to be treated - the Golden Rule. But then, in my early teens, my peers started to seek the attention of others. They were desperate for an identity, something that is them, something to build on, and the only way one can form is in the minds of those who are familiar. Groups started to form around me. But I didn't want to be in a group, I wanted to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. In my mind we were all part of a whole.

I started to wear the same bland style of clothes every day. I did not cut my hair into a popular shape. And the easiest way to be true was to not engage at all. I kept to myself and viewed relationships as exclusionary. Senior year, with the idea that college was near, I decided to try socializing. You see, I didn't have the clarity that I have now. I thought I was broken, that I did not fit in, and I couldn't understand how such a person could succeed in the more social world I expected to find. This is where my life went off the rails. I was trying to play a game others had set up years ago.

I dropped out of high school with a 3.85 GPA. There wasn't a social face to show others, a true identity, the type they would expect, with familiar support. Just bits scraped from TV, me, and depression. What a huge waste of time. I am now 51.

Carp
May 29, 2002

Oh, and, how do I change my... I can't think of the name of it, the image under my handle. Portrait?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Jazerus posted:

oh hey what would folks think about flying the tic tac over to the halloween forum??? are we spooky?

dont punish us what did we do?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Carp posted:

Oh, and, how do I change my... I can't think of the name of it, the image under my handle. Portrait?

you can purchase a new custom title in the forum store

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

D-Pad posted:

this. this thread has a really neat atmosphere and i like how it treats everything seriously even when, maybe especially when, i don't think of things the same way (eg. tarot.) i love you tarot posters, don't stop.

the last thing this thread needs is a dose of irony poisoning.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

tangentially, I need to change my avatar for the first time in like a decade. how does one go about getting the gang tags? this thread has been the only one I've ever seen and actually wanted

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i love this thread as much as anyone and i definitely don't want to ruin it. i thought it would be fun to have a spooky stylesheet for a month and maybe have some people come in who wouldn't normally find the thread and i really don't think anything could "ruin" this thread as long as we're still posting in it together. i would have kept buttons over it so i could toss out the ndts.

but i'm hearing you loud and clear: no disclosure

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 12:35 on Oct 7, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I too have a strong preference for keeping the thread here but I also understand why there is interest in sneaking some new ways of thinking into the minds of folks who might be checking out the Halloween subforum and not see this thread otherwise. What if you sent an exploratory mission from the mothership? A new thread stickied in there like the TBB one, which is explicitly "sent from" the main UFO thread and people from the Halloween subforum and the main thread can post in there freely. If Halloween forumgoers like it they can navigate themselves over here to C-SPAM to join the collective. At the end of October the satellite thread can blip away again, a spooky spooky mystery.

Bwah
Nov 6, 2005
Rarg.
No, please don't.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I don't just mean to be a PITA but I like how things are at the moment - people slowly drift into the thread, accidentally or otherwise. It feels natural and manageable. If we're gonna get woo about it, maybe that's even the way it's supposed to go - people just finding themselves being led here by one circumstance or another.

This site is a lot better than it was in the 10s (and a lot better than it was in the 00s!) but a significant proportion of the posters here are still kinda assholes and I really don't want to see this very unique space get brigaded. A vibe is a very delicate thing, and just probing people who are dickheads isn't necessarily enough to preserve it.

If anyone wants to go do effort posts over there about cool UFO cases or tarot or NDEs or Bigfoots or all the other stuff we like to talk about ITT then 200% more power to you, that'd be really cool and I'd definitely be keeping an eye on any such threads. But let's maybe not go advertising our presence to all and sundry.

I know that might sound a bit precious, but I dunno, those are just my thoughts

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

perhaps we can just astral project into the Halloween forum, keeping our gross body in cspam

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

But let's maybe not go advertising our presence to all and sundry.

the dark forest is inside the forums. The parallels in the situation and rationale are hilarious, even as I tend to agree with you on the general point

Anyone with an account can theoretically click into cspam and find this thread if they want to take a dump, so I don't think it's worth hiding to the extent that nobody even makes a UFO thread in whatever temporary subforum. Just don't move this one, if nothing else for the sake of those of us who live out of our bookmarks and huff a lot of weed, changing subforum rules like that can be dangerous

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

haha the same thought had also occurred to me

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah, truly the only reason I said "I don't want this thread to move, BUT," was it felt really antithetical to my usual "everyone needs to have a chance to know that there is an Unknowable" to not add that "but" of opportunity.

Opportunity butts :wiggle:

edit:

Pooky posted:

clearly the thread itself needs a card pull to help decide
Very quick and dirty pull asking if satellite thread would be a bad idea (not whether it should be done, but if it were done, would it be bad?) got The Chariot, and Strength/Six of Cups. Bird cards wish to put the minds of those concerned at ease.

edit2:
to be clear I personally probably would not be comfortable posting in a satellite thread like I do in here. :lol: But it would not be a disaster.

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 14:21 on Oct 7, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Javid posted:

tangentially, I need to change my avatar for the first time in like a decade. how does one go about getting the gang tags? this thread has been the only one I've ever seen and actually wanted

code:
[url="https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3967914"][img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/cspam-ufo.png[/img][/url]
in your title

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
change thread title to no disclosure :colbert:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

SniperWoreConverse posted:

code:
[url="https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3967914"][timg]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/cspam-ufo.png[/timg][/url]
in your title

the purchase page seems to disagree

is this one of those glorious undocumented features?

e: it worked thank you internet friend

Javid has issued a correction as of 14:11 on Oct 7, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I freely admit I might be being a bit over-paranoid about all of it - it is in my nature ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I had a really vivid dream about wrestlers finding portals and loving up nhi. Prophecy?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's kind of dumb how this site has sorted itself into little social clubs that don't like each other, but well that's where we are, so

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Barry Foster posted:

I freely admit I might be being a bit over-paranoid about all of it - it is in my nature ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It is in my nature as well friend, fear not :shobon: :glomp: I have a proper terror of being commonly perceived as being "crazy," both as a result of how my early life shook out vis a vis belief vs reality, and because every man's favorite weapon against a woman they don't like is calling them crazy. So I have been called crazy a lot over the years! But since, paradoxically, I have learned that divination is helpful for me with certain kinds of social anxiety, this seemed like an appropriate time for anxiolytic tarot cards :) "if this thing happens, would it be terrible? No? Great. I'll stop worrying about it. Yes? Well time to try to keep it from happening!"

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 14:47 on Oct 7, 2023

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Stoca Zola posted:

I’ll definitely check Communion out, I think I had it mashed up with Contact in my brain (both start with C) and didn’t realise it was a separate thing despite Christopher walken not looking much like Jodie Foster. I’m not worried about bad memories shaking loose, whatever happened back then I can’t control or change, and I’m more intrigued than upset that the memory still has the power to get my heart rate up.

Stoca Zola, I was struck in particular by how your Night-Terror-like visitation had a similarity to Contact, wherein the alien presence attempted to use "a fondly-recalled loving figure" (in this case your parents' dog) in order to put you at ease. Obviously this would lead to a night terror when that memory gets paired with a "wrongness" that you kinda picked up on when you felt awake but inclined not to move under the blankets.

When I read about your experience of levitating and pushed into phasing thru a wall before waking in a 'new dimension or else normal reality', I felt compelled to share how the first time I smoked Salvia Divinorum alone on my bed I (like most people) mostly forgot the next 3-5 minutes from going beyond, but I remember feeling like I was in some kind of abstract dimensional scene transition of having one identical bedroom flip into the same room in another dimension, only I was caught in the gears bewteen the two scenes. In real life I had set down my pipe and rolled off my bed and to the right until I regained mental control...

My discomfited state felt a little like the last 10-15 seconds of this dreamy commercial by Spike Jonze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZSMofW4G58

Then I read LaB's post about drug-taking leading to spiritual states and the need to post was doubly-verified.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Do you think the high associated with various drugs (for me, only weed, but of course that is just the tip of the available iceberg) is our mind being forcibly routed toward a particular type of perception?

In my wilder past I have experienced child-like euphoric states when under the influence of hallucinogens like LSD, psilocybin, and mescaline, even without the help of ecstacy to cement the high in a happy-land defined by honesty-and-openness (and then followed by ecstacy's depression hangover). What often makes LSD feel childlike (other than riding bikes) is that the filters from childhood can suddenly no longer matter: you're watching a comedy or looking at a cartoon with fresh eyes, and the jokes have never been funnier or made more sense to you in that special moment, and you're seeing mundane things for the first time (again) and in a new and strangely profound light.

There's an openness to experiencing wonderment that can be created with hallucinogens, but they are not for everybody. The states that potent drugs can take you to can also be tapped into with advanced forms of meditation and /or trance, for example.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's kind of dumb how this site has sorted itself into little social clubs that don't like each other, but well that's where we are, so

Humans just kinda do that and it's our worst trait

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Been meditating a lot more lately and random cats I meet in little villages seem to like me more now. Today I met a kitten and it's mom!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Here is a summary of what Ram dass said about hallucinogens that I heard him talk about when I was looking for a good podcast clip above:

Positives of hallucinogens (lsd, mushrooms, weed, etc): Looking at things from a new perspective, being able to transcend your ego (ego death), experiencing the interconnectedness of all things, sensory pleasure, if part of a ritual you can really get some profound religious/spiritual experiences (proper set and setting )

Negatives: you come down eventually !! (This was a big deal for Ram dass and was the issue that eventually lead him to India), not legal everywhere which can lead to paranoia (a bad quality to have when you are trying to see god)[paranoia was a much bigger issue in Ram dass’s hey day of the 70s-90s. Many of his buddies went to prison. He was close to one or two times], not great for young people (teenagers) who have not fully developed their egos yet (“you have to be someone before you can be no one “), if you gently caress up dosage or set and setting you can have a bad trip.

My opinion: Not many downsides at all really especially these days where weed is basically legal and the paranoia issue is obviated . Especially when compared to the positives.