Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Mederlock posted:

Yeah it's a blast to take drop bars through single track.
Winter is the best because all the premium dog walking trails are completely free after dark. gently caress CX racing, I just want to shred dog walking trails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mederlock posted:

Yeah it's a blast to take drop bars through single track.

Makes a person want to install a suspension fork…

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Lex Neville posted:

dumb rear end journal post

welp, this turned into an itchy and spotted, apple-sized red patch, but I did just find what could be the stinger of a wasp, I think. subscribe for more updates!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Lex Neville posted:

welp, this turned into an itchy and spotted, apple-sized red patch, but I did just find what could be the stinger of a wasp, I think. subscribe for more updates!

Try swallowing one while cycling and getting stung on the tongue, that's fun!

Or getting stung dead center in your forehead and looking like a unicorn for a week!

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I got stung multiple times up my nose whilst I was running once, the wasp freaked out and went mental up there

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

many come with a block to keep your front wheel a bit higher, def recommend using one.

ive got an extra one if youre interested ill ship it to you

Appreciate the offer but it's actually the rear that's to low.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Eejit posted:

Try swallowing one while cycling and getting stung on the tongue, that's fun!

Or getting stung dead center in your forehead and looking like a unicorn for a week!

this is the worst--I've luckily never swallowed something with a stinger but I got stung right in the forehead once too. between that and also a big beetle of some sort getting into one of the vents in my helmet once I always wear a cycling cap under my helmet now

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

honda whisperer posted:

Appreciate the offer but it's actually the rear that's to low.

Does your trainer have a wheel size adjustment to compensate?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Heliosicle posted:

I got stung multiple times up my nose whilst I was running once, the wasp freaked out and went mental up there

Sorry this happened, but :lol:

I had a wasp slip in my shirt and sting me multiple times over the course of like 10 minutes with each time I had thought I shook the drat thing out only to get another jab in a different area a couple minutes later.

At a certain time in summer at the reservoir I do laps around there are swarms of gnats hanging out and by the end of the ride I'll be covered head to toe in little specks

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Mauser posted:

At a certain time in summer at the reservoir I do laps around there are swarms of gnats hanging out and by the end of the ride I'll be covered head to toe in little specks

Oh yeah, my sunscreen loves covering me in gnats pretty much any time of year

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Heliosicle posted:

Well that's loving terrifying

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Does your trainer have a wheel size adjustment to compensate?

I'll have to look but I don't think so.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

listen, it's really difficult to make a few curved bits of plastic. they really need that $600 because of how they masterfully blend cutting-edge technology and aesthetically sculpted design, along with Italian styling and attention to detail, to make some of the world’s best eyewear and hi-tech prescription solutions. Their craftsmen use the highest quality materials and manufacturing techniques to create lightweight, comfortable and extremely functional eyewear

I do think lots of sports sunglasses are stupid over priced but there is something to making better optics/clarity and that fit well and shield your eyes properly.
Like I’ve found Goodr glasses to have mediocre lenses that’d I’d feel would interfere with serious business riding

I usually just get something like Smith’s on sale but I don’t deal in prescription sunglasses (just wear contacts)

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I buy aliexpress glasses because they're fine and cheap.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'm a fan of either sale priced Smiths or Tifosi for cycling, but good lenses are really noticeable for vision intensive activities like fly fishing/sight fishing where it really pays to upgrade to Costas or higher tier Smiths.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I I sprung for Glade photochromic glasses and they're awesome for both road and mountain

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The original Tifosi Podiums fit me perfectly and I was sad when I broke the tinted lens in the set of three it comes with. I tried the Podium XC but its fit is a bit smaller. I still have the clear and orange lenses for night riding or rainy weather, at least.

I've been using some random MEC pair for day riding and after a while I get pain in the back of my head at 7 and 5 o'clock, a little behind my ears. I don't know if it's because they're too tight or because they're not frameless I have to pull my head back further to get the same visibility, but it immediately goes away when I take them off and stuff them iny pocket.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I always call Suncloud the poor man's Smiths. I've had a couple of them and still wear them despite having 3 pairs of Smiths that I really like. Nothing for Rx though. Honestly, those big honkin black shades that fit over prescription glasses work pretty great.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I do a lot of after work/evening rides so this time of year i mainly wear glasses with photochromic lenses so I can leave them on when it gets dark. Although if it's going to be dark most of the time i'll usually wear a full clear lens instead. Probably could have done that tonight but it was fairly sunny out when i started.

seem to have made enough noise to ward off the bears and kitties on the way down. Did see some bunnies.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I handed in my first of two Ultegra crank sets this week and got a call yesterday that it, the FC-6800 that came on my (second-hand) bike, does show signs of delamination and will have to be replaced by Shimano. I asked if it was possible to get a 165 mm FC-08 instead of the 172,5 I handed in and the mechanic said he'd add a note, but that he couldn't promise anything. He also said mine was the first to be taken by Shimano (and I believe I was also the first, maybe even only, person to hand one in).

On Tuesday, I will be handing in the FC-R8000 that's currently still on my bike and that I got unused off a pro team's mechanic less than a year ago, with a left-sided 4iiii power meter (of which the two letters on the back aren't on Shimano's recall list, but apparently you can only hand in a full set?). Over the last week, that's been making the same creaking noise as the FC-6800 did a year ago - and that noise in turn is very similar to a snippet of the inspection instructions Shimano issued I found online - so I'm fully expecting that to be replaced as well. I'm going over the chainring bolts another time today to see if that doesn't fix the sound - even though I already did that last week - because I would like to go on a a few more rides this weekend. However, with how quickly the noise has been coming on since the end of my six-hour ride last weekend, and how obnoxious it gets, I don't think it'll be another long one, sadly.

All in all, I'm fairly certain 2 out of 2 possibly affected crank sets I own are faulty or at least will be replaced. Has anyone else gone in to have theirs checked yet?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

jamal posted:

seem to have made enough noise to ward off the bears and kitties on the way down. Did see some bunnies.

How much is stuff like that on your mind whenever you (and other us goons) ride?

I've only ever lived in completely tame places so have 0 experience dealing with any kind of dangerous wildlife, aside from cows/bulls I guess and they're still tame in the end. Saying that, wolves have started moving to around my area from Germany so that may not be forever.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Wolves aren't dangerous to people. Disregard this advice if you look like a sheep.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lex Neville posted:

I handed in my first of two Ultegra crank sets this week and got a call yesterday that it, the FC-6800 that came on my (second-hand) bike, does show signs of delamination and will have to be replaced by Shimano. I asked if it was possible to get a 165 mm FC-08 instead of the 172,5 I handed in and the mechanic said he'd add a note, but that he couldn't promise anything. He also said mine was the first to be taken by Shimano (and I believe I was also the first, maybe even only, person to hand one in).

On Tuesday, I will be handing in the FC-R8000 that's currently still on my bike and that I got unused off a pro team's mechanic less than a year ago, with a left-sided 4iiii power meter (of which the two letters on the back aren't on Shimano's recall list, but apparently you can only hand in a full set?). Over the last week, that's been making the same creaking noise as the FC-6800 did a year ago - and that noise in turn is very similar to a snippet of the inspection instructions Shimano issued I found online - so I'm fully expecting that to be replaced as well. I'm going over the chainring bolts another time today to see if that doesn't fix the sound - even though I already did that last week - because I would like to go on a a few more rides this weekend. However, with how quickly the noise has been coming on since the end of my six-hour ride last weekend, and how obnoxious it gets, I don't think it'll be another long one, sadly.

All in all, I'm fairly certain 2 out of 2 possibly affected crank sets I own are faulty or at least will be replaced. Has anyone else gone in to have theirs checked yet?

Its just starting to be rolled out in the UK. I'll take mine in when its officially winter bike season which I also think loads of other people are doing. The people I ride with dont want to be without their cranks while its still good enough to ride outdoors.

Could be everywhere will see a swamp of them coming in when Winter hits?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Yeah, it's only just started here as well, from 1 October on. I just took my first one in because I wasn't using it and will be taking the second set in when I'm going on a weeklong holiday next Wednesday, as my LBS indicated the whole process was likely to take around a week. I figured I'd beat the rush of winter customers precisely for the reason you're describing.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Heliosicle posted:

How much is stuff like that on your mind whenever you (and other us goons) ride?

I've only ever lived in completely tame places so have 0 experience dealing with any kind of dangerous wildlife, aside from cows/bulls I guess and they're still tame in the end. Saying that, wolves have started moving to around my area from Germany so that may not be forever.

I used to ride with a bear bell and bear spray at all times, and I've had to reroute or wait out because of moose or bear in the trail. My brother has actually collided with a moose while riding.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Heliosicle posted:

wolves have started moving to around my area from Germany so that may not be forever.
wolves are essentially harmless to adults.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Heliosicle posted:

I don't have to worry much about "viscous" wild animals in my area. Our apex predator is the mighty bobcat. The only animals I'm concerned about are off-leash dogs, and I've been chased by a few. They're why I often carry pepper spray, although I've had good luck with just shouting at them to make them stop chasing me. (The spray is a last resort.)

A lot of our local bike trails are frequented by deer, and while they're not likely to attack a human, they can be unpredictable if they spot you coming down the trial while they're getting a tasty snack. Deer aren't well known for not running into traffic, so when I see them and they don't immediately scamper into the trees, I slow down and let them decide what they want to do. I don't want to get hit by a deer.

Little critters are a bigger concern. I've almost hit a number of squirrels because they're chicken-playing assholes. One time, I went from a very bright section of trail to a heavily shaded one, and there was a turtle in the middle of my path. I didn't see it until I was almost on top of it, and I just barely got around it.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I could fight a chicken

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

We have black bears here, and mountain lions, but I don’t worry about either because I generally am not concerned about a black bear attacking me if it’s not cornered and I never hear of mountain lion interactions here, let alone attacks. But jamal is around brown bears too and probably more dangerous kitties.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Two of the four fatal mountain lion attacks in the United States in the past twenty years were on mountain bikers.

You’re still way more likely to be killed by a snake or a tree.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I wonder how many mountain bikers get killed by mountains?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

tarlibone posted:

I wonder how many mountain bikers get killed by mountains?

https://everythingmountainbikes.com/article/how-deadly-is-mountain-biking/

Short answer, not enough data, long answer, some. About 4.7 per year in Utah, who knows for other states. Is Utah a big mountain bike place? Who knows.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
One of my favorite kit manufacturers just came out with a kit that seems oddly apropos for the current discussion. I don't know if I'd wear this kit in an area with dangerous kitties, especially if there are cheetahs nearby.

Jack Handey posted:

It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Platystemon posted:

Two of the four fatal mountain lion attacks in the United States in the past twenty years were on mountain bikers.

This is why I always car eg an axe

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

driving (or riding) to the trailhead is more dangerous than riding your bike on it

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Platystemon posted:

The chance of being killed by a snake is comically small (in the US, at least), approaching zero. More people die from lightning strikes than from snake bites.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

*pedalling at full power as the mountain lion closes in on me* THIS IS STATISTICALLY UNLIKELY!!!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Slavvy posted:

*pedalling at full power as the mountain lion closes in on me* THIS IS STATISTICALLY UNLIKELY!!!

That’s how you get KOM/QOM.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Platystemon posted:

That’s how you get KOM/QOM.

All Out

This ride was extremely difficult. It pushed me well beyond my abilities and took a massive amount of energy and focus to complete. You’ll feel like you barely made it to the end of this ride, and that you had to pull out every mental trick in the book to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I don't worry too much about it, but I do have bear spray with me a lot of the time and generally try to ring a bell or whatever to make noise. Most bears I've encountered have been running away although I have had a few that didn't and one that charged me. That was scary for about 4 seconds then it stopped and I kept riding. I've only seen one mtn lion and it also ran away, I assume plenty of them have seen me though. Being out on the trails when there's a bit of fresh snow is an eye opener because you see all the tracks and near encounters. Like kitty tracks that were coming towards you and then beer off into the bushes

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 7, 2023