Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

hobbesmaster posted:

And their treaty with the martians hinged on a tragic mistranslation of “yup-yup”

I would've thought it was more of an issue with the "ACK ACK ACK" really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Anyone know what the effect of mud season might be expected to be on the Russian defensive lines? How does the ground turning into a sodden morass affect minefields?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

I don't know anything about armor tactics but they seem very confident in Russia's inability to hit any drat thing to send one tank right out into the open like that to assault that treeline

I'm going to assume the Ukrainians had been doing detailed recon on the forces in the treeline and knew exactly what they were and were not equipped with, since they said they had been there long enough to clear routes through the minefields to that forested area.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Anyone know what the effect of mud season might be expected to be on the Russian defensive lines? How does the ground turning into a sodden morass affect minefields?

It doesn't, really, weather doesn't really affect mines, just makes them harder to find.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 7, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Arrath posted:

Huh. Here I would have assumed the MIC would spring for insulated wire in the first place.
They need a lot of wire in a small space, so I could see them going with bare wire just to save volume. If they fixed it, it was probably some electronic wizardry or some super thin lacquer solution.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
They must be insulated! Most spools have the wire maximally interacting with itself on the spool!

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

As long as the wire is only touching itself that wouldn’t matter. It would still only be connecting the missile and the launcher. Just with a large clump of copper/metal on one end. That wouldn’t affect any electrical signal.

That said, if the wire sagging and touching water was a problem, then sagging and touching the ground could also be a problem. However, water is a much better conductor, so I guess leaked current could be a bigger problem there.

I’m mostly just guessing/speculating here. It could also be that they didn’t really consider the water problem too much (or deliberately ignored it) until they later found a good, easy way to fix it or decided it was worth the effort and expense to fix it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DTurtle posted:

As long as the wire is only touching itself that wouldn’t matter. It would still only be connecting the missile and the launcher. Just with a large clump of copper/metal on one end. That wouldn’t affect any electrical signal.

That said, if the wire sagging and touching water was a problem, then sagging and touching the ground could also be a problem. However, water is a much better conductor, so I guess leaked current could be a bigger problem there.

I’m mostly just guessing/speculating here. It could also be that they didn’t really consider the water problem too much (or deliberately ignored it) until they later found a good, easy way to fix it or decided it was worth the effort and expense to fix it.

You need a circuit for current to flow, so you need two wires.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Not if the launcher is grounded.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Ah yes. Wireless ground technology on the missile. Truly futuristic tech.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

The Lone Badger posted:

Two wires, uninsulated for the US stuff.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

spankmeister posted:

:doh:
I knew I was forgetting something.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
FWIW, you should be able to do it with one wire. You don't need to transmit a (usable) current, just a signal, and for that all you need is a capacitor and relatively high frequency alternating current.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Antigravitas posted:

FWIW, you should be able to do it with one wire. You don't need to transmit a (usable) current, just a signal, and for that all you need is a capacitor and relatively high frequency alternating current.

In that situation it could have an effect if the wire is laying in water instead of ground.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

According to this source the TOW 2 wire-guided missile has two wires:

quote:

TOW anti-armour missile

The missile has command to line-of-sight guidance. The weapons operator uses a telescopic sight to view a point on the target and then fires the missile. The missile has a two-stage ATK (Alliant Techsystems) solid propellant rocket motor. The operator continues to view and track the target through the sight. Guidance signals from the guidance computer are transmitted along two wires, which spool from the back of the missile to the control system on the missile. The Chandler Evans CACS-2 control system uses differential piston type actuators.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

During the great deluge of videos of Syrian armor getting annihilated circa 2015-2017 there are several clips of TOWs being fired where the two wires are visible if you squint a bit.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bulletsponge13 posted:

I couldn't remember it to save my life, but firing a Wire Guided TOW over water requires an algebraic equation. I'm not joking. Fairly certain it details a bit in the publicly available stuff why, but don't want to venture towards OPSEC land.

It's no longer needed with the wireless TOW variants as far as I know.

Dragon definitely did; you had to aim above your target and then dip it down once the missile was past the water. You also had to do that if there was any heavy brush. Dragon was a piece of poo poo, and I hated the fucker.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

could the problem have been the physical effects of drag from the very long wires falling into the water rather than electrical effects?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

could the problem have been the physical effects of drag from the very long wires falling into the water rather than electrical effects?
According to this .mil site the problem is explicitly shorting out:

quote:

Firing over bodies of water.

Maximum and limited range firing over water varies by missile type. If the range is less than 1100 meters, the missile’s range is not affected. However, if it is wider than 1100 meters it can reduce the range of the TOW. A TOW position should be as high above and as far back from the water as the tactical situation allows. The squad or section leader should analyze his sector as soon as the position is occupied to determine if water will affect the employment of the TOW. Signals being sent through the command-link wires are shorted out when a large amount of wire is submerged in water.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

PurpleXVI posted:

Instead of posting about how limited my sympathy is for any poor Russian civilians who have a bad time due to hanging out in occupied territory and profiteering from war crimes, I will post something interesting:

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1710357329881759832

It's all drone footage from above, no gore or dead people visible that I noticed.

God that dude sounded very very tired when he said that final word. "Constantly".

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Doesn’t the Merkava have a hard kill system with what amounts to a fighter type radar system? Still an interesting tank regardless, since it can have an optional toilet in the turret.

Every tank has a functional toilet in the turret if you're nasty enough (or if the civilian contractor just signed off on the turn-in documents).

--It's the access panel to the sub turret.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Doesn’t the Merkava have a hard kill system with what amounts to a fighter type radar system? Still an interesting tank regardless, since it can have an optional toilet in the turret.

Every seat in a tank is a toilet if you're tired enough.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I can't find any one tweet summarizing this, but it looks like the Ukrainians have broken into the Russian's first line of defenses in Verbove and Novoprovopivka, but the Russians are following their plan and regularly counterattacking from the second line of defenses.

How long can either side keep that up for? Will the Ukrainians have to withdraw if they can't stop the Russians from counterattacking?

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
The recent trends have been that the Ukrainian's let the Russians exhaust themselves by counterattacking into artillery and then continue onwards, but obviously this relies on you managing to hold off the counter attack. At this point it's probably too early to tell if they will manage to hold onto their forward positions or if there will be more back and forth.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The X-man cometh posted:

I can't find any one tweet summarizing this, but it looks like the Ukrainians have broken into the Russian's first line of defenses in Verbove and Novoprovopivka, but the Russians are following their plan and regularly counterattacking from the second line of defenses.

How long can either side keep that up for? Will the Ukrainians have to withdraw if they can't stop the Russians from counterattacking?

Literal WW1 tactics. We are probably weeks out of tune with what is going on and I figure once they realize what is going on the forward attacking unit will have counter battery fire ready to go already and the Russian tubes presited in on the trench line being attacked will get vaped faster than a ecig in a kombucha lounge.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
One of the grimmer bits of analysis from the Royal United Services Institute was, along with a general increase in tactical adaptation from Russian units*, that they have become very good at striking a position immediately as defenders are withdrawing. To the point where Ukrainian units are essentially taking positions and then having to move off them straight away as a fluid part of the assault.

*They assessed that the "lol Russian incompetence" stereotype of the troops on the ground was no longer particularly applicable iirc.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Well, we definitely noticed by the escalation of tactics in 2004-2005 that we had apparently killed off all the dumb insurgents in Iraq.*

*along with a ton of others, but who am I telling

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Traditionally, trench assaults always rely on follow on logistics to be taken, because the doctrine of every military ever is to counterattack and deny them the leverage. That counter is most often in the form of an immediate Infantry assault, but could also come from indirect fires.

If the attackers have friends, fires, or supporting elements, they can make an attempt to hold, but it ends up being a scrabble to who can get the most into that little area. That always favors the defenders- their assault troops will always be closer. I don't know the exact math to it, but I know that a BN sized unit would be tasked with assaulting a trench position that would be held by a company size element. A lot of dudes into a narrow hall, hope they get a toe hold, and can keep enough blood pumping for the next wave through.

A good example of this kind of desperate push/pull struggle can be found in 'Hell In A Very Small Place', and other accounts of the Siege at Dien Bien Phu. Particularly the Foreign Legion taking and retaking of one of the smaller firebases that made up the base itself. Not exclusively trench fighting, but a drat good example if you dont want the PTSD of watching GoPro. I mean there are plenty of accounts, but large scale trench warfare after WW2 has been pretty short of choice examples (thankfully for humanity).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bulletsponge13 posted:

Traditionally, trench assaults always rely on follow on logistics to be taken, because the doctrine of every military ever is to counterattack and deny them the leverage. That counter is most often in the form of an immediate Infantry assault, but could also come from indirect fires.

A lot of reports lately are that Russia sometimes just leaves destructive charges in the most prepared areas and blows the place once they retreat and it’s overrun.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

A lot of reports lately are that Russia sometimes just leaves destructive charges in the most prepared areas and blows the place once they retreat and it’s overrun.

That works, too.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I thought to ask a friend of mine who was an 0352 and he said that water's not as much of a problem with recent missiles, but powerlines are something that have to be taken into account.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 7, 2023

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

mlmp08 posted:

gently caress Russia

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Doesn't that risk sympathetic detonation by enemy artillery?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Doesn't that risk sympathetic detonation by enemy artillery?

nah. Modern military explosives are generally very stable.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

How about military explosives that have been stored in an open field since WW2?

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

IPCRESS posted:

How about military explosives that have been stored in an open field since WW2?
A bit of that Mosin Nagant ammo might be from WW1, to make it extra spicy

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Tell that to the BMP3....

brains
May 12, 2004

OddObserver posted:

Tell that to the BMP3....

the t-72 knows where it is by where the turret isn't

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

brains posted:

That one got a hearty chuckle out of me.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

brains posted:

Okay that was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Dragon definitely did; you had to aim above your target and then dip it down once the missile was past the water. You also had to do that if there was any heavy brush. Dragon was a piece of poo poo, and I hated the fucker.

shame on an IGA posted:

Oh, right, hence the name! The wires Dragon the ground.