Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

8gb of RAM for Windows 10 and Windows 11 surfing/office work can be feel short.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The John Romero (TM) Approved Madcatz Panther XL

The only way to play FPS games - looking and turning with your left hand and movement with your right hand!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fak431cxRxU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Assepoester posted:

The John Romero (TM) Approved Madcatz Panther XL

The only way to play FPS games - looking and turning with your left hand and movement with your right hand!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fak431cxRxU

I'd use that but with the joystick (left) for analog movement and trackball (right) for aiming.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I am finally watching the 4 hour FPS documentary and mostly it has been the stories that have been told and retold over the years, but still a good compilation of those.
Dont know how over all the years I haven't encountered that :hellyeah: was inspired by this scene
https://youtu.be/FSo726tA55w?t=97

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

site posted:

my dude are you loving for real right now

Yes but have you considered
https://twitter.com/EpicMcDude/status/1709776533848486231

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No I haven't finished downloading it yet

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

fatherboxx posted:

I am finally watching the 4 hour FPS documentary and mostly it has been the stories that have been told and retold over the years, but still a good compilation of those.
Dont know how over all the years I haven't encountered that :hellyeah: was inspired by this scene
https://youtu.be/FSo726tA55w?t=97

Hard Target is so loving good.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
robert cop exactly as silly as it should be while treating the source material like the magna carta

teyon remains the B- game kings and queens

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They need someone to punch up their scripts and edit their cutscenes, those continue to be their weakest link.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Hey it's me, apparently I'm the guy who actually likes the Ground Zero expansion. More interesting than The Reckoning which was perfectly cromulent but not that exciting. I played both of those expansions for the first time just now in the Q2 remaster... I can absolutely see how the backtracking in Ground Zero would have been super confusing/frustrating originally without the compass, but eh I have the compass now so that's academic.

Some pretty cool map designs and setpieces, and the potentially annoying new enemies were more than offset by the tons of munitions you can apply to them. Bouncy bug? Tesla mine for you! Super medic thing? Have some BFG! The infamous turrets? Just a little pop-a-shot game for ol' reliable here *pats railgun affectionately*.

I had a good time!

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I remember finding the turrets a lot more frustrating before the remaster. The addition of the targeting laser makes them a lot easier to spot.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Nostalgamus posted:

I remember finding the turrets a lot more frustrating before the remaster. The addition of the targeting laser makes them a lot easier to spot.

Blaster turrets did 20 dmg (vs 8 in remaster)
Rocket turrets did 50 dmg (vs 40 in remaster)
HP was 240 (vs 50HP/50AP in remaster)
Had no alert sound (makes a wake up sound in remaster)

Generally just a bitch

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
240 HP lmfao oh my god.

That guy patting old reliable in for a rude awakening

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Nostalgamus posted:

It also instantly tells you if you took out a turret with a rocket or a rail slug when the laser disappears. The turrets were my main complaint with Ground Zero a couple years back, so they've definitely changed it for the better.

I don't think anything could have salvaged The Reckoning for me tho. Even a run in the Remaster with god mode felt like a slog.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 7, 2023

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
I tried the Robocop demo and I didn't much care for it. The gameplay is alright and they make good use of UE5, but the voice acting and writing were awful. Peter Weller gave the same energy to his lines as Michael Biehn did for Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I liked the ion ripper in Reckoning, and I'd have liked the Phalanx a lot more if their projectile speed was doubled. Tesla mines are great now that they can hit flying enemies but the plasma beam is pointless.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Mutant Headcrab posted:

I tried the Robocop demo and I didn't much care for it. The gameplay is alright and they make good use of UE5, but the voice acting and writing were awful. Peter Weller gave the same energy to his lines as Michael Biehn did for Aliens: Colonial Marines.

im gonna defend weller here a bit- the audio mix is a bit odd, moreover, it’s hard to place this game in time exactly

robocop knows he’s murphy but also doesn’t, weller is going for the somewhat soft, non-voice-altered lines he does when he removes his helmet and visor in the original (listen to the change from the earlier voice, it’s not just Weller, it’s also the effects applied). In that context it is bang on

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Blaster turrets did 20 dmg (vs 8 in remaster)
Rocket turrets did 50 dmg (vs 40 in remaster)
HP was 240 (vs 50HP/50AP in remaster)
Had no alert sound (makes a wake up sound in remaster)

Excellent changes!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I will agree that boltgun’s level design is nothing special but the shooting and gibbing are good, also I’m having an easier time finding secrets in this game which I assume means it’s really easy for most people here because I’m a dumbass. but it’s nice that I can actually be able to find them and I’m also not having to mash interact against every wall and corridor bc they’re found via platforming and nooks & crannies

Also the Switch version starts with the pixelation shader set to 50 and it looked really weird, so I set it to 100 and it looked right, like a slightly crunchy PS1 shooter rather than looking like a Gameboy Advance FPS port

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ohhhhhhh

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Now that I'm trying the RoboCop demo I can imagine this game making terminally online leftists who can't take a joke very mad with stuff like this guy who WANTS to go jail because it's a free room and he likes doing laundry lol

E: that demo was significantly longer than I expected, so I retract my complaints about the file size. I almost wonder if there's going to be some save compatibility between this and the full game. I can see why everyone is comparing it to an on rails shooter, it does feel like that at times. I get that they want you to feel like a walking tank, but I think you move just a little bit too slow. Turning fsr on was the only way I got decent performance but there are pixel explosions basically everywhere every time you move the camera, which sucks. Overall though I thought it was fun, looking forward to the full release

site fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 7, 2023

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
if there are leftists stupid enough to bag on robocop, a movie that might be themost successful american anti capitalist film in existence, that’s sort of their problem

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
There are leftists dumb enough to think Lou Reed was transphobic so the point of Robocop whooshing over their heads is sadly too believable.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

There are leftists dumb enough to think Lou Reed was transphobic so the point of Robocop whooshing over their heads is sadly too believable.

i went to that university and i can absolutely believe the CSA was that stupid

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ok oof the performance of Boltgun on Switch is not great, with dips below 30 and slowdown during the 'purge' arena fights

also, hm. the shooting and gibbing may be good but I have issues, as with 99% of boomer shooters, with the audio design, because the sound mix favors the impact of bullets on enemies over the actual sound of your gun firing. This makes the boltgun feel more visceral but it makes the shotgun sound... well, not much different from the boltgun, unless you miss and then it sounds like an actual, VERY QUIET, shotgun. IDK if this is a Switch-specific issue but it's definitely weird. i actually do think the sound of impacts of your bullets does get overlooked by retro shooters, but this is over the top.

a couple more things. the skull friend of yours is generally unhelpful as they'll say "exit located" but they don't position themselves to show you, they don't shine a light or anything in a direction... so, like.. it's just sort of like.. "hey, the vibe i'm getting is that there's an exit around here", which.. okay, thanks I guess. also, kill % for the level isn't based on the total number of enemies in the level but just the enemies you encounter?? it's so weird. you can have 100% kill when you pause mid-level and then a new encounter happens and it drops down into the 80s. what a weird way to do it!

e: oh yea also the skull speaks in gibberish that just seems to go on forever sometimes

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 8, 2023

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

What makes the price exceptionally egregious is that from what I've heard, some of the older COD games (the classic MW games, Black Ops 1 & 2, maybe a couple of others) are in a really bad state where multiplayer games are rife with hackers, and I think there's one game that has an RCE vulnerability, or something along those lines. There was also some issue with the DLC for one of the games.

There are/were mods that helped address those issues, but apparently Activision took them down, the theory being that the takedown was to funnel people away from revisiting older titles and having them spend money on MTX for the new games.

I'd buy that game for a dollar...

...but they probably won't sell it for that cheap.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Max Wilco posted:

There are/were mods that helped address those issues, but apparently Activision took them down, the theory being that the takedown was to funnel people away from revisiting older titles and having them spend money on MTX for the new games.

If this is the same project I'm thinking of, they started off fixing the exploits and cheats, but started linking to torrents for the games, and eventually moved into selling access to a new game using a hacked up 2017ish era CoD engine that was porting some of the previous game's maps and guns that didn't require the original game to run on top of.

They, of course, tried and were mostly successful spinning it into being bullied to take down their fan servers, but it sure seemed like straight up commercial piracy by the end.

e: here's the tweets:

https://twitter.com/TerryHB_/status/1658749232805822464

spongeh fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 8, 2023

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

This has been bugging me because I've been playing Heretic in an Archipelago multi world randomizer and for the life of me I can't figure out Iron Lich tornados. Why do some of them vanish quickly and others last a goddamn year and some like, wedge themselves into a corner and just wait for you? What determines how long they last? Is there some sure fire way to get rid of them?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

spongeh posted:

If this is the same project I'm thinking of, they started off fixing the exploits and cheats, but started linking to torrents for the games, and eventually moved into selling access to a new game using a hacked up 2017ish era CoD engine that was porting some of the previous game's maps and guns that didn't require the original game to run on top of.

They, of course, tried and were mostly successful spinning it into being bullied to take down their fan servers, but it sure seemed like straight up commercial piracy by the end.

e: here's the tweets:

https://twitter.com/TerryHB_/status/1658749232805822464

There’s nothing in those tweets that implies they were selling early access to their game.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

ok oof the performance of Boltgun on Switch is not great, with dips below 30 and slowdown during the 'purge' arena fights

also, hm. the shooting and gibbing may be good but I have issues, as with 99% of boomer shooters, with the audio design, because the sound mix favors the impact of bullets on enemies over the actual sound of your gun firing. This makes the boltgun feel more visceral but it makes the shotgun sound... well, not much different from the boltgun, unless you miss and then it sounds like an actual, VERY QUIET, shotgun. IDK if this is a Switch-specific issue but it's definitely weird. i actually do think the sound of impacts of your bullets does get overlooked by retro shooters, but this is over the top.

a couple more things. the skull friend of yours is generally unhelpful as they'll say "exit located" but they don't position themselves to show you, they don't shine a light or anything in a direction... so, like.. it's just sort of like.. "hey, the vibe i'm getting is that there's an exit around here", which.. okay, thanks I guess. also, kill % for the level isn't based on the total number of enemies in the level but just the enemies you encounter?? it's so weird. you can have 100% kill when you pause mid-level and then a new encounter happens and it drops down into the 80s. what a weird way to do it!

e: oh yea also the skull speaks in gibberish that just seems to go on forever sometimes

The lack of any real minimap or directional information was a huge pain in the rear end, especially in the larger maps. Boltgun was nice, solid, but had so many small issues that impacted the game that only one playthrough was more than enough for me.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Glagha posted:

This has been bugging me because I've been playing Heretic in an Archipelago multi world randomizer and for the life of me I can't figure out Iron Lich tornados. Why do some of them vanish quickly and others last a goddamn year and some like, wedge themselves into a corner and just wait for you? What determines how long they last? Is there some sure fire way to get rid of them?

Where did you find support for Hexen? I saw that someone is working on Doom but it doesn't seem to be in the official Archipelago release yet.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mill Village posted:

There’s nothing in those tweets that implies they were selling early access to their game.
IIRC links were locked behind their Patreon to paying donors. I remember looking at the page using the Wayback Machine a while ago when this last came up.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
wait, they were going to graft the (commercial, closed) new engine into the (commercial, closed) old game AND distribute the assets to the later

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

shoeberto posted:

Where did you find support for Hexen? I saw that someone is working on Doom but it doesn't seem to be in the official Archipelago release yet.

Doom 1 is already released and is in the supported games list now https://archipelago.gg/games/DOOM%201993/info/en. Heretic isn't officially supported yet but the PR for it is open and the releases page for APDoom has a client that can support Heretic and an apworld file for generating games with Heretic. Doom 2 is also in there but I think it's a little further off from full release? They both might be buggy but I haven't run into any serious issues with Heretic other than a couple weird inexplicable crashes?

Edit: Also I'd be cautious about using this in an actual multiworld with other games because I made the mistake of just being like gently caress it sure include the expansion episodes and then I realized that Heretic has like 900+ checks in it and now our game is flooded with people giving me timebombs of the ancients and I'm scouring so many loving maps to find something to unblock someone.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

well boltgun ended up being a game i finished while watching multiple football games so that probably speaks to its mid-ness. it really runs too long and part of that comes from an overreliance on purge encounters. now, the purge encounters are often the highlight of the game, because auroch digital is better at crafting combat arenas than DOOM-y mazes. but they do in general run too long, and some arenas are just too big or too tall and it makes hunting down the last remaining enemies irritating

i also felt like too many enemies pretty much require using the most powerful weapons, which conveniently have the least plentiful ammo and chew through what you've got. given that enemies have healthbars and there's a 'secret' item that briefly gives your weapon +1 STR for a given level, I feel like maybe the weapons should have had upgrade paths ala Forgive Me Father to strengthen them.

it's a game that starts off strong but ends up being disappointing, for sure. even though it wasn't an early access game, it has that feel of a retro shooter that went through early access, where the first 'episode' is the strongest, and the rest of the game is diminishing returns

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The weapon powerups lasting through the episode would go a long way to improving the balance of the weaker weapons. Also, the first episode was the weakest and it did improve overall as it went on I thought. My bigger problem was overall level layout. God drat could you get lost at times

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Boltgun was a game where I found the simple act of shooting fun enough to carry it to the end. The boltgun itself never got old for me and there's good gibbing. I also really dug how the game didn't take itself at all seriously. This is a specific, novelty take on an inherently super dumb thing, and I think Boltgun leaned into that rather than shy away from it.

There are issues elsewhere and I did take quite an extended break between finishing the first and back halves of it, which might speak volumes actually. There are enough genuinely great boomer shooters now that it's hard to put Boltgun any higher than mid.

I will say though that a Boltgun 2 would shoot straight to the top of my wishlist if they ever want to do it. There's a ton of scope to elevate what was already a decent first pass.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Yeah, Boltgun generally feels really good, but it does drag. It's been nice finally getting some good action 40K games again though, what with Darktide finally getting updated into a good state and with Space Marine 2 on the horizon. Though, with two months left in the year, I'm expecting SM2 to get delayed.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Phantom Fury blogpost responding to the less-than-enthusiastic response to the demo. TLDR: Game delayed to next year, demo getting removed in 24 hours, updated demo coming in February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I feel like a lot of Boltgun dragging is because it's so easy to spend a lot of time lost with nothing to do. If the floating skull was effective navigation assistance it would get you to the next heretics to purge a lot faster