Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

They can remake The Omen again but only if they stop pretending it's some heavy intellectual religious thriller and instead have Satan Boy just flat out murder a bunch of people in hilarious ways for two hours.

Chronicles posted:

It'll be a take on Omen III: The Final Conflict. A toothless take that somehow pisses off everybody and nobody.

High Warlord Zog posted:

As long as they get Sam Neill back as Damien

cosign

e: gently caress terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I was ready to trash VHS85 but that movie loving rips. Maybe one kinda eh entry but it’s actually the shortest of the bunch and the way they structured the entire thing felt fresh (I never felt bored or truly like “get this over with please”) just as the whole aesthetic and feel was getting stale. I’m so glad they got rid of the interstitial story of “why are these vhs tapes here or why am I seeing these videos like this” and just wove them altogether. This is kinda the peak form for this series. They really knocked it out of the park on this one. This one honestly kinda overtakes my entire ranking for the number 1 slot.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Gonz posted:

VHS 85 was terrific; one of my favorites of the whole franchise.

I’m getting pumped! Hope I don’t pass out before I watch it tonight lol

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bought tickets to that haunted house train ride, I'm stoked

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Edit: nevermind, I found it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It is not in this forum it’s in the haunted clubhouse sub forum

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Def by Temptation is a frustrating movie because it's not great, but you can see seeds of greatness in it. It's a rocky first picture from a promising director, but then it was also his last picture. If James Bond III had kept making horror movies and got a little bit more experienced he easily could have been great. It's especially annoying because the 90s are generally thought of as a bit of a lull in horror, and it's just so easy to see how James Bond III could have filled that gap.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
VHS85 is a good one. I'm a bit of a sucker for the series, but this one is definitely better than 99 & Viral.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

fr0id posted:

Hello spookadoodlers! I’d like to invite everyone to join in this year’s Annual Scream Stream. This year’s theme: Too Hot for TV, featuring horror movies banned or censored in first world countries.

The preshow music will start at 8:00PM EST, and the features will begin at 8:30. Watch here: https://beta.watchw.me/Lurdiak

And feel free to hop on the discord where most of the chatting will go on. Work is being done to integrate the website chat client to the discord so that you don’t need to join the server, and should be set up soon.
https://discord.gg/ne67A5DQ

Oh, and tonight’s features will be:

The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0077681/parentalguide

Followed by:

The Toxic Avenger (1984)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0090190/parentalguide

No thread this year? I liked it in the past for keeping track of what we watched.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

holy poo poo The Vast of Night kicks rear end

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Speaking of The Omen, I only recently learned that there were Omen 4 & 5 books published in the early 80s, and even an unproduced script for Omen 4 (unrelated to the 1991 TV movie). These concern Damien's son (whose version of "weird unnatural satanic birth" is that he came out of his mother's anus); the 4th ends with nukes flying over the Middle East, and the fifth takes place in a quasi-post apocalypse. Sounds like some crazy poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

holy poo poo The Vast of Night kicks rear end

My third favorite alien movie of all time

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Speaking of The Omen, I only recently learned that there were Omen 4 & 5 books published in the early 80s, and even an unproduced script for Omen 4 (unrelated to the 1991 TV movie). These concern Damien's son (whose version of "weird unnatural satanic birth" is that he came out of his mother's anus); the 4th ends with nukes flying over the Middle East, and the fifth takes place in a quasi-post apocalypse. Sounds like some crazy poo poo.

I wonder if that was the inspiration for Eric Powell’s Satan’s Sodomy Baby

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Watched Nightmare Sisters the other day and I’ve had the sucubus song stuck in my head all day.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

My third favorite alien movie of all time

It's so good! Like, goddamn what a good loving movie! I was shocked to see it wasn't on the horror thread's list of best recent horror movies.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As per my post in the challenge thread, I’m such a sucker for Nightmare Sisters. Love the combo of Brinke, Michelle and Linnea again, and there’s just so much to talk about. It’s a T&A movie for sure, but DeCoteau has always seemed such a good dude to the girls in his movies it’s one you can watch without feeling slimy.

—-

Just finished Totally Killer and so glad it hit the Hot Tub Time Machine But Horror vibes the trailer gave, I really enjoyed it and I’ve heard the usual mob of ‘anti-woke’ complainers are already whining about it which is great. Super fun time!

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

super sweet best pal posted:

No thread this year? I liked it in the past for keeping track of what we watched.

It’s a lot of work and didn’t seem to get any engagement last year. Do other folks want a thread?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

ruddiger posted:

Watched Nightmare Sisters the other day and I’ve had the sucubus song stuck in my head all day.

Weird I just watched Nightmare Sisters this past weekend when I just decided to watch a bunch of Linnea Quigley films.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would also absolutely call vast of night a horror movie as it spooked me to the core more than most horror movies do.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Wow, first episode of 30 Coins really has it all.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

VHS85: Good, definitely better than 99 and Viral, probably better than 94, but kinda missing a real Safe Haven-level standout and, overall, not scary? The Derrickson short is definitely in his wheelhouse so if you liked the home videos from Sinister you're probably in for a little treat. The overall average of each segment is definitely ok-to-good, only one is kind of a flop, but no Ratmaa moments IMO. As mentioned by dorian the "setup" of the interstitials is easily the best of the series, it feels like someone put real thought into a cohesive experience.

Big improvement over 99 though, didn't come away thinking I wasted my evening minus the deadstream-director segment.

Stray thoughts:
First segment What was the meaning of the lake name? Also a bit disappointed that there wasn't another follow-up from the cult ending, kinda left hanging. Also showing the squirtgun filling felt like they thought the audience was really stupid
Second segment Reminded me a bit of The Descent in that the horror of the disaster is way more effective than the monster. Reminded me to do my daily Duolingo thought
Third segment Really obvious where this was going at the end but still lacking any reason care, some decent goop but just eh.
Last segment the delivery on "let him go" was pretty funny, nice chuckle at the end shot

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The third one is so late 90s it’s ridiculous they included it.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

The third one is so late 90s it’s ridiculous they included it.
Eh, Tron came out in 1982 so I think the "graphics" kinda line up. The tech and theme of the performance seemed way off though, agreed.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Something fun about the Derrickson one SPOILERS

quote:

Derrickson said, “Oh, there’s actually a universe crossover in there, which I guess I made it too subtle because nobody’s picking it up. But James Ransone tells Detective Wayne, when he’s behind the glass, he was talking about Gunther. He says, ‘He has these dreams that are prophetic.’ And he says, ‘My sister had the same gift. They drove her crazy, she killed herself.’ And he said, ‘Gunther’s cousin Gwen has the same thing too. I f***ing hate it.’ Well, the sister is Gwen’s mom, and Gwen is Gwen from The Black Phone. It’s literally the same gift, it’s this ability to dream things before they happen, or have these prophetic, futuristic, surreal dreams.“

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

huh posted:

Wow, first episode of 30 Coins really has it all.

Yeah it hits the ground running full loving speed

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

30 Coins says right off the bat “yeah we are going apeshit crazy here, come along for the ride” and then never backs down or lets up

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Zachack posted:

Eh, Tron came out in 1982 so I think the "graphics" kinda line up. The tech and theme of the performance seemed way off though, agreed.

Now makes me curious how they did the graphics in Tron, whether it was more practical stuff made to look CG or if it was renders - it’s been 30+ years since I tried to watch it so it’s a very vague childhood memory. No chance it was done in realtime though, which this one purportedly was. I’m pretty sure the camera she has on stage is one of those late 90s Canons but I didn’t get a great glimpse at it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Watched 1985, really enjoyed it. At first I was upset because the first segment just ends and I liked the direction it was going, but then it follows up on it. I'm also glad they seem to have given up on doing an actual framing story, they were usually the weakest part of the V/H/S films.

Tron was the first film to make heavy use of CGI.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 7, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I also just watched 1985 and my review follows:

Awwww, no one ever left alive

In nineteen hundred eighty-five, will everrr dooo

She may be good, she may be fine

She may get love but she won’t get mine ‘cuz IIII got youuuu

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Tron was the first film to make heavy use of CGI.

Yeah, I just looked it up and unsurprisingly for some sequences it took up to 6 hours per frame to render.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The dead pixels on the cameras were driving me crazy

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I would also absolutely call vast of night a horror movie as it spooked me to the core more than most horror movies do.

Ok I know sf can be also horror but IMO Vast is an excellent UFO movie but it doesn't really feel like horror to me

It's like a note-perfect adaptation of a short story in an anthology hardcover, published in 1962 with a picture of a dude in a jetpack on the front. The type you'd find on your school library shelves and you'd check it out so often that your parents would talk the librarian into letting you keep it.

I, uh, speak from experience there. I've got two of those books!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

PEARL just went up on aus Netflix for anyone late to the game

didn't realise but I've watched a horror or genre movie a day this October. are late bloomers welcome to the challenge thread?

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
taking a moment to appreciate the new-V/H/S-day vibes as I start up 85, already hooting and hollering about a dead squirrel

also a lol that (beginning) they just start segment 1 immediately

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

alf_pogs posted:

PEARL just went up on aus Netflix for anyone late to the game

didn't realise but I've watched a horror or genre movie a day this October. are late bloomers welcome to the challenge thread?

Absolutely! You can also set any challenge number you like, me and some other folks go for a lower 13 movies etc. All about watching some movies and posting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Phy posted:

Ok I know sf can be also horror but IMO Vast is an excellent UFO movie but it doesn't really feel like horror to me

It's like a note-perfect adaptation of a short story in an anthology hardcover, published in 1962 with a picture of a dude in a jetpack on the front. The type you'd find on your school library shelves and you'd check it out so often that your parents would talk the librarian into letting you keep it.

I, uh, speak from experience there. I've got two of those books!

It scares me therefore it’s horror!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
VHS 85 was underwhelming, the initial concept of emerging directors coming together and put out cool video nasty short features has given way to half baked efforts, I guess looking back at the recent entries it's not that surprising.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It’s the weekend and that means another installment of the Scream Stream!

Saturday’s Lineup!
The first of our films is:

Tenebrae (1982)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0084777/parentalguide

https://www.unconsentingmedia.org/items/3275

Followed by:

The Evil Dead (1981)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0083907/parentalguide

https://www.unconsentingmedia.org/items/865

You can watch tonight with preshow starting at 8:00 PM EST and the Features beginning at 8:30. Join in on https://beta.watchw.me/Lurdiak . Good news, the integrated discord chat on site works, or you can join the discord at https://discord.gg/ne67A5DQ . Spooky travels!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Honest Thief posted:

VHS 85 was underwhelming, the initial concept of emerging directors coming together and put out cool video nasty short features has given way to half baked efforts, I guess looking back at the recent entries it's not that surprising.
:same:

94 at least had Storm Drain (hail Raatma), but 85 and 99 had zero memorable segments for me. Still, I'm looking forward to the next one because these movies are something of a Halloween tradition for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Hot take: all the VHS are good. Even Viral.