Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's also the grasstrees that breed when set on fire

And the birds that spread fire on purpose to flush out prey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

New stockmarket chart

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I want to slap this idiot.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
This economy is making it so hard to feed my family, I wish it would just collapse already

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Magissima posted:

This economy is making it so hard to feed my family, I wish it would just collapse already

To be fair once you get to the point you can’t feed your family, whether it collapses or not won’t meaningfully effect you

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

This is the part that really upsets me about all of this. He's totally loving over his family and it's really really sad. People are suffering directly from his incompetence.

And here's the kicker and I think a very important point, he said that if they don't get rich then they'll crash the system and rebuild. Both of these are literal nonsense. You will not get rich and you are incapable of crashing the system. It's a lose lose and he thinks it's a win win.

You lost and your family will suffer.

Idiot.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Imagine genuinely believing that the financial system is so easily gamed that a couple dozen people on reddit messing around with a failing retail company's stocks could destroy it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

If one were to substitute “the lotto” for meme stocks, this guy would be on track to having DCF called and his kids taken away

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
This is a fud thread. A fud thread full of fudders who only wanna do fud and sling fud around. Fud you guys. Fud you so fuddin hard.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Lt. Cock posted:

This is a fud thread. A fud thread full of fudders who only wanna do fud and sling fud around. Fud you guys. Fud you so fuddin hard.

:wink:

FUD you too, Lieutenant Cock.

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 7, 2023

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Hmm buy stock in a struggling business with an outdated business model or get shares in a product or service someone wants? Let’s buy the dying chain with the stupid business plan!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Lt. Cock posted:

The ironic thing is that buying BBBYQ stock is exactly the sort of thing that Bugs Bunny would trick Elmer Fudd into doing.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Poor Elmer Fudd. All he wanted was to eat that mean old rabbit. :(

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

dr_rat posted:

Poor Elmer Fudd. All he wanted was to eat that mean old rabbit. :(

no, elmer was horny as gently caress

every time bugs dressed in drag, elmer would be shooting cum from both barrels

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Poor Elmer Fudd. All he wanted was to eat or gently caress that mean old rabbit. :(

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Fud can also mean a rabbit’s tail. Elmer is a type of glue. Elmer Fudd is glued to the rabbit’s tail. Fudd has two Ds. Double Ds stand for due diligence.

But what does that mean in terms of GME?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Incelmer

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
This thread has taken an interesting turn. Finally.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lt. Cock posted:

Fud can also mean a rabbit’s tail. Elmer is a type of glue. Elmer Fudd is glued to the rabbit’s tail. Fudd has two Ds. Double Ds stand for due diligence.

But what does that mean in terms of GME?

🐰🚀🌕

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Incew

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

coolusername posted:

Yep. In fact they have something of a rivalry where GME-holders explain how THEIR stock is the real game-changing moonticket while BBBY is obviously a stupid scam. They’re all over Dan Olson’s memestock video complaining about how they were lumped in with the other bad stocks.

https://x.com/FoldableHuman/status/1710062089606144475?s=20

its more than that lol they accuse each others subreddits as being compromised and that their particular mods are actually paid shills

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Amazing Zimmo posted:

"I wike to chase bunny wabbits into the woods and kiss them on the wips, hahahahahaha!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is the part that really upsets me about all of this. He's totally loving over his family and it's really really sad. People are suffering directly from his incompetence.

And here's the kicker and I think a very important point, he said that if they don't get rich then they'll crash the system and rebuild. Both of these are literal nonsense. You will not get rich and you are incapable of crashing the system. It's a lose lose and he thinks it's a win win.

You lost and your family will suffer.

Idiot.

Yeah, he is going through hard(partly self exacerbated) hard times and now he is throwing his money at loving dead or dying stock in hopes everything just 180s. Like I am loving dumb and bad with money both financially and personally but my sins are just buy stupid poo poo while living with my folks and working an ok job. This shits. Just throwing money in a fire hoping it spits out more.

Also newbie question, how did GameStop thing work and this stuff not.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Same garbage brain as crypto guys, "yes cryptocurrency is all scams EXCEPT bitcoin, the one true way forward"

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, he is going through hard(partly self exacerbated) hard times and now he is throwing his money at loving dead or dying stock in hopes everything just 180s. Like I am loving dumb and bad with money both financially and personally but my sins are just buy stupid poo poo while living with my folks and working an ok job. This shits. Just throwing money in a fire hoping it spits out more.

In January 2021, there was a solid case against the long-term viability of Gamestop. The company was treading water and struggling in the world where games, gaming accessories, and gamer paraphernalia were increasingly sold online. This was also the era of Covid lockdowns, which harmed brick-and-mortar retailers, especially mall-based ones, even further. However, while this sentiment was very prevalent, the company still had a lot of assets, not an insane amount of debt, and typically bounced back around the premiere of a new console generation. Thus, the claim that the company was perhaps in a bad place, but simultaneously undervalued, also had legs. This was not a coked-out conspiracy theory, it was supported by reasonable traders. However, several hedge funds, particularly Melvin Capital, were so bearish about Gamestop (and perhaps so out of touch with the industry it operates in) that they held huge, utterly reckless short positions that were coming due in late January of 2021.

This was noticed not by random people, but by day traders and even other hedge funds. The word got out and r/WallStreetBets latched on to the concept. The thought of raising the stock price to benefit from the short sellers closing their positions, effectively engineering a short squeeze that reasonably had some legs to stand on, quickly caught on. So as the short sellers started closing down their positions, the price went up, and redditors flocked to the stock, bolstering efforts by big money traders to increase the price.

The factor that moved this from a price shift to a firework was probably the issuance of stimulus checks. Many people who were underwater because of the Covid economic crisis felt that 1200 dollars was not anywhere near enough to fix the fundamentals of their economic position, so they treated it as windfall, and had little qualms about trying to get rich quick with it. The price rise continued even after the shorts had mostly left, turning the situation from a short squeeze into a pump and dump. Many of those who bought in when the price was already quite high egged people on to keep holding and buy more so that they themselves could close their positions. Others had no idea what they were doing. In the end, a lot of people made out like bandits, especially traders like DeepFuckingValue who had been holding the long on Gamestop for months already, before any serious talk of a squeeze. But some people bought in at the top, when the big winners were exiting and no longer propping up the price. Those guys largely thought that the game was still on, they did not know shorts were virtually completely out of Gamestop by that point, and were waiting for their gains. This did not happen; they were left holding the bag. These were the guys who became modern-day apes.

BBBY was a different story altogether. Ryan Cohen, who made a name for himself through investing in Gamestop and throwing his weight around until the company let him take charge, hoped he could become the head honcho of Bed Bath & Beyond, another dying mall retailer. Unlike Gamestop, BBBY had no legs to stand on. It was up to its ears in debt, investor confidence was non-existent, and through simple mismanagement it had lost so much money the stores had trouble stocking the shelves. It was utterly moribund unless someone pumped a lot of cash into it, and nobody was really going to, since the chance of turning the ship around was minuscule at best.

Cohen's role in Gamestop made him a hero of the apes, who increasingly attributed to him the foresight and ability to cause MOASS (which was a conspiracy theory since the beginning, and since we're talking mid-2022 now, so over a year since the original GME squeeze, it was already completely disconnected from reality). He bought a 9.8% stake in BBBY in hopes of strongarming the management into giving him the reins, but was roundly rejected. But that was fine, since he had a backup plan: the apes.

Cohen was well aware that the apes would follow him in whatever he did. So when he bought that 9.8% stake in BBBY, he posted some seemingly innocuous messages about the company on Twitter. The apes took the bait and started focusing on the company. Cohen knew that BBBY had a stock buyback program going on (this was public information; this stock buyback was so frantic that it was one of the biggest contributors to the company's financial woes of the time) and so if he didn't sell his stock back, his share of the company would grow by the virtue of the bought-back stock simply disappearing. This shortly put him over the 10% threshold at which an investor needs to file a public statement for the stock market, announcing that he is now a major shareholder. Apes went apeshit at this, since they believed it meant he had bought more shares. So they rushed to buy in, pumping the price to pretty insane heights (not GME high, but still far more than the stock was worth), and unbeknownst to them, they were buying from Cohen, who used them as the dump for the pump they manufactured for him. The documents announcing the sale of his shares and his status as no longer major shareholder were already filed before he started selling, but he knew they would not become public until after he was done with the sale.

In brief, the difference between the GME squeeze and the BBBY buy-in was that the GME squeeze was based on real, actual market events and situations, interpreted and understood by people who knew what they were doing, and redditors hopped on the wagon after it was already pointed at a direction. There were actual hedge funds holding actual reckless short positions and a company that was actually undervalued. BBBY had none of those. It was down in the dumps not because of bearish sentiment, but simple fundamental problems. Any short positions in the company were entirely justified, and there was no squeeze happening. It was all a pump and dump scheme by Ryan Cohen. In GME, apes were the instrument of pulling the money out of the shorts. In BBBY, they were the source of the money for Ryan Cohen's profits.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So short selling is a bit counterintuitive but it's essentially like owning "negative" shares of a stock. At some point short sellers have to buy back actual shares in order to make their position whole. Since they are obligated to eventually buy shares, short sellers want the price to go down so they can buy back cheaply; if the price goes up, they may have to buy back at a higher price than their short sale made and lose a lot of money. If the price rises suddenly, their broker will order them to immediately close the short by buying because they don't want to lose any more money.

In late 2020 Gamestop was at an inflection point; the company was obviously in trouble and the stock price cratered, with a LOT of short selling activity from people betting it was going broke. But there were also conflicting bets from people saying "hey, the company sucks but they still have money, there's no reason for the stock to be this cheap, it could be a $10 or $20 stock again." A bunch of gullible rubes started piling in after seeing smart money putting small bets on a Gamestop turnaround, which ran the price up modestly, putting pressure on all those short sells and forcing some of them to buy in to close out their position. At this point people realized that there were a LOT of short sells outstanding on the stock and that if they managed to run up the price more there could really squeeze out a lot of shorts. They did, it worked, the price doubled and doubled and doubled again as short sellers scrambled to buy rapidly-rising shares.

But around this time the mythology started. People started telling themselves that if only they KEPT BUYING this stock that just rose 10x, they would make $infinity and destroy the evil hedge funds ruining America. Amazingly, this actually sort of worked; no one had expected investors to be this stubbornly stupid en masse and they managed to get another couple multipliers of profit because new short sellers came on saying "this is definitely not a $100 stock and will go back down right away because no one could be this stupid." But eventually people learned better and the stock gradually settled down.

The mythology kept growing, though. Even though they had actually managed to cause the mother of all short squeezes and could have made 5x, 10x, 20x their money in a couple days, the rubes convinced themselves that this was just the beginning. The fact that Gamestop had a nearly unprecedented volume of short in order to enable the squeeze got handwaved away; to true believers, basically any struggling company is beset by legions of phantom short sellers which do not show up in conventional trading data for XYZ reasons, so all they have to do is throw money at a zombie company and it will force these invisible short sellers to materialize and create an even bigger short squeeze that will make the 20x rise in GME look like chump change.

More recently, as things keep failing to pan out this way the mythology seems to be evolving past the short squeeze altogether and towards "if we buy this company we will be given $infinity, just because magic".

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Thread starter should edit that into the first post^

E-Tevery’s

Big Ass On Fire fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 8, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

This thread is a real trove of well-written explainers, thanks.

So BBBY really is an audiophile thing. We were told to do this thing on vinyl, and so now we're going to do it on CDs too, because we never understood what the hell we were doing. And now you can buy a back of polished rocks for $300 to help your speaker cables sound better.

Once you accept that magical thinking yields results, you start trying to apply it everywhere.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nice FUD thread but have you considered the following

:shuckyes:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

repiv posted:

nice FUD thread but have you considered the following

:shuckyes:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Big rear end On Fire posted:

E-Tevery’s

icecastle
Jun 9, 2008
I've followed the 2020 meme stock craze from a distance and then watched it become into the cult is it today. I'm glad that Dan Olsen did a video on it to bring awareness to the topic. The idea of a bunch of individuals buying stock in a failing video game retailer or towel store becoming a cult is so absurd that I don't think anyone would have believed it 3 years ago but here we are. I think this illustrates how destructive subreddit/internet echo chambers can be. People have been losing money in dumb ways in financial markets for as long as they have existed but now people get sucked into these communities with people that cheer you on for gambling your entire 401k in GME because they think Ryan Cohen's childbook has secret messages to them.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Can someone run me through this short selling thing like I’m a total moron please.

So I go to a brokerage. I say I wanna borrow one of that stock please. I turn around and sell the stock I borrowed to some other guy. Later on, the stock costs less so I buy a new one, and I return that one to the brokerage.

Does the brokerage charge a fee or something for lending that stock out? Like I’m not understanding what they get out of this. Or what it is that would make them lean on someone to close a short position. Is it like, ‘hey that stock you borrowed is going way up and we would like it back so we can sell it for profit.’

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Lt. Cock posted:

Can someone run me through this short selling thing like I’m a total moron please.

So I go to a brokerage. I say I wanna borrow one of that stock please. I turn around and sell the stock I borrowed to some other guy. Later on, the stock costs less so I buy a new one, and I return that one to the brokerage.

Does the brokerage charge a fee or something for lending that stock out? Like I’m not understanding what they get out of this. Or what it is that would make them lean on someone to close a short position. Is it like, ‘hey that stock you borrowed is going way up and we would like it back so we can sell it for profit.’

Yes, there is a fee that you have to pay to the entity lending you a share that you are shorting.

quote:

Example of a Stock Loan Fee

Assume a hedge fund borrows one million shares of a U.S. stock trading at $25.00, for a total borrowed amount of $25 million. Also, assume that the stock loan fee is 3% per year. The stock loan fee on a per-day basis, assuming a 360 day year, is therefore ($25 million x 3%) / 360 = $2,083.33.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lt. Cock posted:

Let's say you short 1000 shares of GME at $10. You get $10,000 minus fees, and someone else gets an IOU for 1000 shares of GME. If the price runs up to $100, you now owe them $100,000 worth of GME, which you very likely can't afford to buy. The IOU still needs to be whole and the broker would be on the hook for it; borrowing some schmuck's shares and saying "oops, them's the breaks" isn't an option. So well before it gets to $100 they're going to tell you "either close out your short or deposit more money as collateral so we know you're good for it."

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Alright now explain it to me like I’m a fellow insane person and you’re the only one who knows how it really works

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Lt. Cock posted:

Alright now explain it to me like I’m a fellow insane person and you’re the only one who knows how it really works

Evil hedge funds are creating fake stocks in successful companies to kill them so they can profit off the shorts and it is up to us to defeat them by sending wave after wave of our own money in to their pockets!

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Another question I gotta ask is why the gently caress was BBBY doing a loving stock buy back when their finances were so shakey. This is what you do when you are sitting on too much cash and you want to legally plunder it into your own bank accounts.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Big rear end On Fire posted:

E-Tevery’s

Done.

Lt. Cock posted:

A short is like the evil version of buying a stock. Buying a stock makes it go up, which is good, but shorting a stock makes it go down, which is bad. Hedge funds (evil) can do something called naked shorting which lets them borrow one stock to do unlimited shorts, which lets them drive the price way down. They do this to drive awesome companies like GameStop and Blockbuster bankrupt so they can get the money, like picking up loot after killing an MMO boss. Fortunately hedge funds can’t do that if you hodl and DRS and diamond hands, so if you do that then you will become a billionaire. This will also cause society to collapse, which is another desirable outcome. If you want to know more, you can refer to “Everything Superstonk Knows About Naked Shorting - A Definitive Guide”. It is proudly linked on the sidebar of Superstonk, but I will also repost it here in its entirety. To wit:

deleted posted:

[Deleted by User]

[removed]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Another question I gotta ask is why the gently caress was BBBY doing a loving stock buy back when their finances were so shakey. This is what you do when you are sitting on too much cash and you want to legally plunder it into your own bank accounts.

pumping up the stock price to get their options in the money