Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

iv46vi posted:

And this makes dean’s plan to find a secluded spot to blackmail a guy who beats other people for the thrill of it and clearly dislikes her such a brilliant move.

Yeah, that was... an odd choice.

a seagull fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Only issue with that is that she already should've suspected that after putting the blood back into that woman whose carotid got sliced. If she doesn't start exploring that, it's either lazy writing or evidence that if/when Supes start getting *too* curious about their powers, they get "reset" somehow.

Ya this. At this point if she doesn't explode anyone who threatens her life she's just kinda dumb.

The Boys had a character who could explode heads and she did just fine.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

a seagull posted:

Yeah, that was... an odd choice.

I mean, her getting beaten to death is a better bad outcome then getting exposed for the woods.

Although it’s true to the comics, I wish Tek had been exposed for something other than sexual perversity. It just felt so easy. On a show that didn’t have a psychic date rapist, that would’ve been fine.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Tender Bender posted:

There's definitely a fascination with penises, giant ones, stretchy ones, and all kinds of trauma being done to them
Enough male politicians have got in to trouble for dick pics, you know superheroes would disproportionately wave their dicks around too.

From a production stand point, male nudity is just so much less loaded. You can play an exploding penis for laughs in a way you can't with female body parts. The latter would ended up being consumed as wank material by horny guys no matter how gross...

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

LinkesAuge posted:

I'm outraged that we are getting huge exploding dicks but not mega Emma boobs.

But seriously, sometimes it is weird how this kind of violence on men is played as sort of a joke.

I feel this was more "violence on rapists played as a joke"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Did anyone else notice the scene in the classroom with tek knight holding the tape dispenser thing? I remember thinking he was touching the hole a bit too sexually and then the reveal made it make sense.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Felt like the TekKnight thing could have been better handled. I don't like laughing at someone's embarassing mental illness, even if it happens to a bad person and manifests in unusual ways. It's a bit rich in an episode that asks us to sympathise with a schizophrenic and his similar loss of control, but maybe we're meant to see the power dynamics as different here or something. Still, I found it a bit uncomfortable, and not in the ways I felt it was intended.

ccubed posted:

Then a penis explodes or schizophrenia is expressed via goofy puppets, everyone acts like WTF, then they reset to college kids business as usual.

I thought the emotional throughlines in some of this episode were wild. Marie fights off a sexual assault and is literally casually joking about it thirty seconds later. Is she meant to be that indifferent?

Then she gets psychically roofied for a second time, wakes up in bed with someone else and presumably no memory of how she got there, and just, like, grins!?

Yeah, no, I just don't find that psychologically believable.

I had similar doubts that a paranoid schizophrenic would be so casual about trusting someone who just revealed herself to be untrustworthy, particularly given what she was lying about.

Or the Dean meeting up with the violent unstable killer in the forest and expecting him to be chill.

I thought this was kind of a dumb episode all over tbh.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Then she gets psychically roofied for a second time, wakes up in bed with someone else and presumably no memory of how she got there, and just, like, grins!?

Yeah, no, I just don't find that psychologically believable.

I dunno about you man, but when I wake up there's a routine unconscious Maslow's hierarchy boot sequence. If I come around naturally, comfy, and in the arms of someone I'm attracted to who is smiling at me, I'm probably going to smile back. The frowning and/or screaming is probably on the way when her O/S gets around to recentmemories.dat.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Just got caught up on GEN V, The Boys already did it, but I really appreciate how good they are showing how shallow and fake and gross that entire celebrity world is. That even more then the violence makes it tough to watch at times.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I dunno about you man, but when I wake up there's a routine unconscious Maslow's hierarchy boot sequence. If I come around naturally, comfy, and in the arms of someone I'm attracted to who is smiling at me, I'm probably going to smile back. The frowning and/or screaming is probably on the way when her O/S gets around to recentmemories.dat.

Maybe not relevant for the character, but getting blackout drunk and waking up next to strangers stops being a panic scenario pretty quick. After that waking up next to someone you recognize and isn't actively hostile is a fairly pleasant experience.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

kdrudy posted:

Just got caught up on GEN V, The Boys already did it, but I really appreciate how good they are showing how shallow and fake and gross that entire celebrity world is. That even more then the violence makes it tough to watch at times.

One detail I really lived was during Marie's interview when she was on the verge of breaking down/coming clean, the producers were just like, "Either she kills it, or she becomes the black Starlight." It doesn't matter what she does, the system co-opts everything.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Open Source Idiom posted:

she doesn't grin when she wakes up, she's visibly confused and makes a couple different bemused reaction faces as she's trying to process what happened

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

iv46vi posted:

And this makes dean’s plan to find a secluded spot to blackmail a guy who beats other people for the thrill of it and clearly dislikes her such a brilliant move.

Also, Tek Knight is kind of a moron for going up to her and saying "hey guess what, I'm gonna pin everything on you!" I mean, he knows that Vought is a shitshow, so anyone who managed to become dean must at least have well connected friends.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Gynovore posted:

Also, Tek Knight is kind of a moron for going up to her and saying "hey guess what, I'm gonna pin everything on you!" I mean, he knows that Vought is a shitshow, so anyone who managed to become dean must at least have well connected friends.

Why would you not be walking around with a mic recording 24/7 at that point?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
How could he have not known about cameras around campus? Maybe the compulsion is just too strong.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Outrail posted:

Why would you not be walking around with a mic recording 24/7 at that point?

Because you have a sexual dysfunction and the recording needs to be off most of the time?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Golden Bee posted:

Because you have a sexual dysfunction and the recording needs to be off most of the time?

I meant the dean, but I guess she didn't have a reason to need blackmail material at that point.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Potentially re-opening a can of worms on Jordan so apologies in advance if the thread goes south again: I think one of the issues is that London Thor is being given by far the lions share of the meaty acting material and comes across as a stronger performer than Derek Luh, so in presentation the character comes across a bit as 'mostly female presenting, but switching to male when the situation requires'.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
How extensive is the security system? Once they've worked out they're dealing with someone capable of shrinking (something they've already discovered) it seems like it'd be trivially easy to notice that Andre was hanging out near the secret base entrance and apparently talking to someone too small for the cameras to see.

But I guess it's one of those things you sort of put into the same pile as wondering why the guards didn't sound the alarm once they'd stopped raping each other.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

When they were talking in the cell one of the shots was explicitly from a security camera in his cell, which seems like a thing that is going to come back up.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Senor Tron posted:

When they were talking in the cell one of the shots was explicitly from a security camera in his cell, which seems like a thing that is going to come back up.

The dean also finds a teeny tiny shoe.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

Emma is easily the best character on the show for me. When she was first introduced I thought she was a little annoying but now she's my favorite character.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Part of it I think is that she always assumed her powers to just be a circus act but now she's realizing she could be a legit superhero with them.

I hope she trolls her mom by deliberately being 6` tall around her or something. The interesting side effect of her stage mom's helicopter parenting is that Emma would know exactly how much she would shrink or grow based on her calorie levels.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I'm quite sure that both she and her mom knew about her strength, etc. when huge. And I think that her mom was against her using that because of the simple problem of clothing.

And also the humongous amounts of vomiting she will need to do in order to get back to normal size.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Emma vs all you can eat Sizzler buffet, a cow, several giraffes, a whale and eventually the earth. A planetary titan projectile vomiting through the cosmos.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Emma/Sam relationship is also great. It is a little bit of a stretch that he instantly (and is the only person to) notices that she rejects compliments and has a negative fixation but gently caress it isn't a tv show about teenagers who are mostly too absorbed in Their Own Thing to notice each other's issues and the actors have good chemistry.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

thats not candy posted:

she doesn't grin when she wakes up, she's visibly confused and makes a couple different bemused reaction faces as she's trying to process what happened

Yeah, she absolutely doesn't grin at all. Not even close.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I've gone back and had a closer look. I wouldn't say she's particularly distressed, but yeah, no grin. I think "bemused" from earlier is a good descriptor.

FWIW I'm significantly visually impaired meaning that sometimes I'll think I'll see something that's not there.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Panfilo posted:

I hope she trolls her mom by deliberately being 6` tall around her or something. The interesting side effect of her stage mom's helicopter parenting is that Emma would know exactly how much she would shrink or grow based on her calorie levels.

When she’s having lunch with her mom earlier she makes a comment that she’s “in balance”. I’m sure she knows exactly what and how to eat to be a particular size. Not just through necessity but her mom forcing her to keep strict food journals. That must be tiring. She probably has to be exactly even with her calories in and calories out to stay in her “normal” size.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

KilGrey posted:

The dean also finds a teeny tiny shoe.

Sometimes her clothes shrink with her, sometimes she shrinks/grows naked...

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Sometimes her clothes shrink with her, sometimes she shrinks/grows naked...
Nah, she just has tiny clothes that she keeps in her bag.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If she just doesn't eat the next day, would she got back to normal size without vomiting? That power presents a lot of questions.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Ccs posted:

If she just doesn't eat the next day, would she got back to normal size without vomiting? That power presents a lot of questions.

Yeah like, if she just doesn’t eat will she slowly shrink?

The answer, of course, is that it depends on what the writers need.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
emma is galacticus

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
They've already shown that 'no calorie intake' means Emma gets smaller, they revealed that when her mom showed up and said something like 'I think you're an inch shorter, you need 50 more calories'. It seems pretty clear that she knows how big she's supposed to be and how many calories it takes to stay there. Which, man, what a pain in the rear end to track your calories that closely every day, she'd gain a couple inches just from having a full sugar soft drink. A single super sugary drink from Starbucks would make her bust out of her clothes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ded posted:

emma is galacticus

Galactus actually had a kinda-sorta daughter named Galacta. And that's really all one needs to know about the character.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
That was some great rear end capital T, TV.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Giants ladies are very hot, right now. Emma has been leaving money on the table!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Emma needs some of that stretchy Saiyan armor that worked at normal and ozoru size

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, they should really provide her with some sort of stretchy costume or something.