Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Israel/Palestine: Israel caught with his pants down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

What an colossal intelligence fuckup. Beggars belief that Hamas were able to plan and conduct something on this scale in total secrecy...

Really recommend caution following news about this on Twitter. Lots of NMS content floating about. Its really loving grim and its only going to get worse as time goes on.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:stare:quite.

This is a major coup for HAMAS, If they don't jump the gun and slaughter him they got quite a bargaining chip here.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tigey posted:

Really recommend caution following news about this on Twitter. Lots of NMS content floating about. Its really loving grim and its only going to get worse as time goes on.

100% this

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So, it seems that Hamas ran a rather elaborate psy-ops operation on Israeli intelligence services and leadership, those guys have been reporting for months now that Hamas is 'dettered' and is looking for calm, Israel has sent brigades away from Gaza to secure settlements in the west bank, even several military drills by combatants in Gaza in recent weeks apparently didn't raise too many alarms, it also seems to be like this whole thing is meticulously timed on a grander strategic level, this is going to be a major hurdle for Biden and MBS's plans to form and alliance, MBS might be willing to throw the Palestinians under the bus but doing so as Israel is butchering civilians in Gaza might be trickier, so, of course the death toll in gaza will be terrible but assuming Hamas holds on to some of its hostages this is already a major victory, Israel will make a show of force but new lines in the sand have been drawn.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

On the other hand viewing might be instructive when we have stuff like this

Al-Saqr posted:

Hopefully its true and palestinians win the day

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Honestly I doubt arab dictators will be deterred from normalization because they view it as paramount to the survival of their regimes, but lets see maybe the blow is big enough that they dont see Israel as the protector they can rely on anymore.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Question is, to what extent was this co-ordinated with West Bank Palestinians and Hezbollah? If it's Gaza acting unilaterally, I'd expect Israel to eventually regain control of the situation; if they end up fighting on multiple fronts, it all gets a bit more uncertain.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Israel have been poking the hornets nest with the expansion of settlements and displacements, but nothing justifies attacks on civilians like seem to be happening here.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

Israel have been poking the hornets nest with the expansion of settlements and displacements, but nothing justifies attacks on civilians like seem to be happening here.

Israel sure tries to justify them on the reg as long as the civilians are part of the occupied population being genocided.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It looks like the IDF have levelled at least four residential tower blocks in Gaza without any warning, so civilian atrocities are happening on both sides at the moment

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Bibi is certainly itching for a genocide

quote:

“Since this morning, the State of Israel has been at war. Our first goal is first of all to cleanse the area of the enemy forces that have infiltrated, and restore security and peace to the settlements that were attacked,” Netanyahu says.
The second goal, at the same time, is to exact a huge price from the enemy, also in the Gaza Strip,” he says.
“The third goal is to fortify other arenas so that no one makes the mistake of joining this war,” Netanyahu says.
“We are at war, in war you have to keep calm. I call on all citizens of Israel to unite in order to achieve our highest goal – victory in the war,” the premier says.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Hehe, nimrod.
As much as I hate seeing the common soldier senseless suffering I am always glad to see higher ups getting comeuppance.

Phat Phingers
May 27, 2023

Ey Frito-Lay! FUH Q MANG!
We're about to have some of the most annoying War propaganda we've ever seen in our loving lives

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

I think it's worth remembering the 2018 Great March of Return here, where a largely peaceful mass protest at the Gaza border ended with over two hundred deaths and so many injuries that the entire healthcare infrastructure of Gaza was overloaded. This is grim, but it's the reaction that Israel has spent its considerable resources on inviting for years. There's literally no other options left for Palestinians other than to peacefully walk face-first into Israeli guns or go out in the biggest orgy of violence they can accomplish. They tried appealing to the better natures of the rest of the world, and the rest of the world cheerfully looked the other way.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I just came here to post that exact point. The tweet contains stats:

https://twitter.com/broseph_stalin/status/1710597403500495141

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Israel has been killing civilians for years with impunity and no one* caring. It's just they do it with billion dollar donations and high tech weapons that let them have more distance from the killing. It's not good that they're killing civilians here, but once one side starts slaughtering civilians in a war, the other side always does too.

That's, theoretically, why you don't slaughter civilians to begin with. Like, rules of engagement and wartime laws aren't made because we all wanna be nice civilized killers to each other with Respect for one another. It's because once one side starts killing medics and civilians and poisoning water, the other side will too, and then it spirals into much worse.

Unfortunately, news about Israel war crimes are basically never discussed outside of niche online areas and are hushed in the proper media. I'm almost certain this slaughter will get plenty of air time on all the news network to discuss how horrid it is, with no acknowledgement of it being retaliation.

It'll be used to justify sending another billion dollars of missiles over thst will be used on more confirmed-by-israeli intelligence to be civilian hospitals.

*online communities excepted.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ytirawi/status/1710622183670608064

There are a fair few videos of drone attacks on various targets. This is the most work safe one

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Civilian casualties & abuse are to be mourned, regardless of which nation's civilians it happens to. That being said, civilians are never spared during war, there is no clean war; they're all fought with violent and disaffected youths. It's always calculus on if the immediate innocent suffering is worse than the long-term suffering. One might understand why, with Israel on the backfoot and Palestine reclaiming territory for the first time in its history, that some (hopefully not on this site) might be deaf to individual atrocities.

For what it's worth, evidently plenty of Palestinians have some patience for Israelis:

https://twitter.com/SALHACHIMI/status/1710630531581329493 https://twitter.com/_Hareem_Shah/status/1710619769139847433

But as with any armed force, there's going to be psychopaths.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Civilian casualties & abuse are to be mourned, regardless of which nation's civilians it happens to. That being said,
Did you actually read the first part of this.

There is no reality in which any of this is acceptable.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Let's get the platitudes out of the way, civilians dying is a bad thing and it would be better if it happened less. And hats off to Hamas for the military targets they've taken out.

What's impressive in its own way though is that most media sources are going to push a one-sided sympathy narrative even after Israel has already announced that their revenge terrorism is going to be even bloodier. With the apartment bombings in Gaza the civilian death toll on the Palestinian side may already be higher. There are going to be plenty of pictures of bloody kids and old women coming out of those attacks too, no one will give a poo poo and the same people acting so very concerned now are going to be cheering on that slaughter.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Did you actually read the first part of this.

There is no reality in which any of this is acceptable.

Settlers are not civilians.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

I'm curious how you come to that definition. And what is the age cutoff for it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Colonialist Settlers who enforce apartheid at gunpoint and stole other peoples homes are not civilians. Hope this helps.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Nucleic Acids posted:

All of what's happening is inside 1949-Israel boundaries. If you're under 80 years old and living in that area, then you're not a settler.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Anyone who chose to live in one of the settlements surrounding Gaza is as much a military target as any IDF member:

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

Anyone who chose to live in one of the settlements surrounding Gaza is as much a military target as any IDF member:

What is your acceptable age cutoff for "innocence."

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Saladman posted:

All of what's happening is inside 1949-Israel boundaries. If you're under 80 years old and living in that area, then you're not a settler.

Yes you are the people you ethnically cleansed are all alive and can physically see the houses you stole from the giant concentration camp you shoved them into and when they ask to move back you shoot and starve them.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
little does yugi know i have my 'so you approve of child murder' trap card laying in wait. he will have no chance but to accept genocide as a moral imperative! that fool!

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

We're in an odd phase of the conflict where Hamas is on the offense and momentarily has the upper hand due to surprise and shock, so most of the war crimes so far will have been inflicted upon the Israelis.

This is unusual, so its not a surprise some people - especially with entrenched ideologies - are finding this turnabout difficult to process and coming out with handwringing statements, "Of course war crimes in the abstract are bad, BUT as its the side we are more sympathetic to doing currently doing them, its actually complicated..."

However, folks should look at this in the wider context. These opening successes aren't going to last, and Hamas is going to get beaten back. Despite its foreign support it just doesn't have the resources to wage a sustained conventional war. And Palestinian civilians are going to be killed en masse - not just caught in the crossfire, but actively targetted as revenge.

So yeah, the current situation where Israelis are the main 'victims' isn't going to last very long, and the eventual number of victims of atrocities and body count is going to be many times higher on the palestinian side.

This is going to happen and its incredibly frustrating how inevitable it all is.

EDIT (due to slow mode): V

BUUNNI posted:

what foreign support do the Palestinians have?

I was referring to the funding and military assistance (missiles etc) from Iran mainly.

Not implying it has widespread international support - just that it does get some support and arms. But not enough to fight a sustained war.

Tigey fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 7, 2023

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Tigey posted:

However, folks should look at this in the wider context. These opening successes aren't going to last, and Hamas is going to get beaten back. Despite its foreign support it just doesn't have the resources to wage a sustained conventional war. And Palestinian civilians are going to be killed en masse - not just caught in the crossfire, but actively targetted as revenge.

what foreign support do the Palestinians have?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

What is your acceptable age cutoff for "innocence."

Israel has had no problem butchering people of any age since the Nakba and is doing so as we speak, so I don’t think anyone sitting comfortably gets to pearl clutch about national liberation.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

little does yugi know i have my 'so you approve of child murder' trap card laying in wait. he will have no chance but to accept genocide as a moral imperative! that fool!

What exactly do you think Hamas would do to the population of Israel if they defeated the Israeli military.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 7, 2023

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tigey posted:

We're in an odd phase of the conflict where Hamas is on the offense and momentarily has the upper hand due to surprise and shock, so most of the war crimes so far will have been inflicted upon the Israelis.

This is unusual, so its not a surprise some people - especially with entrenched ideologies - are finding this turnabout difficult to process and coming out with handwringing statements, "Of course war crimes in the abstract are bad, BUT as its the side we are more sympathetic to doing currently doing them, its actually complicated..."

So yeah, the current situation where Israelis are the main 'victims' isn't going to last very long, and the eventual number of victims of atrocities and body count is going to be many times higher on the palestinian side.

This is going to happen and its incredibly frustrating how inevitable it all is.
There's definitely going to be a lot of:

In the coming days. Which isn't to say the same doesn't apply to Israel in the buildup to this.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

there's no future where israel wasn't going to try to brutally and indiscriminately murder palestinians. demanding the palestinians not try to take their country back by force is essentially saying they should calmly accept their continued imprisonment and genocide.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tigey posted:

For what it's worth I've been pretty consistent on this in other D&D threads.

War crimes are awful, civilian harm is awful. They're also going to happen when war occurs (it's a pretty good reason why you should avoid wars & end wars in general), and unless one has taken the tact that all wars, ever, are bad, everyone does the math in their head on if they can accept what's happening. My personal tolerance is "the war is just and the violence is not centrally administrated/tolerated/encouraged". and from there I'd personally prefer the individual monsters be punished.

As for Hamas' chances; it's a strange time. Massive quantities of munitions have been sent or are earmarked for Ukraine, US congress is stalled, Hamas is recovering equipment as they advance (as a lot of successful middle-eastern insurgencies have done, Taliban being the most recent), and Israel is demonstrably awful at ground operations. Their biggest asset is their outsized air force, and obviously it's not desirable for them to bomb Israel.

They definitely lack the internal industry to keep a proper war going, but the Ukraine war has demonstrated that you can keep going anyways if someone is willing to foot the bill.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

What exactly do you think Hamas would do to the population of Israel if they defeated the Israeli military.

they would use the most pathetically reductive gotcha style debate tactics on them until they killed themselves

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Nucleic Acids posted:

Israel has had no problem butchering people of any age since the Nakba and is doing so as we speak, so I don’t think anyone sitting comfortably gets to pearl clutch about national liberation.

Dont think "its their turn for war crimes" rhetoric is going to win much in public opinion outside of terminally online circles

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Tigey posted:

I was referring to the funding and military assistance (missiles etc) from Iran mainly.

Not implying it has widespread international support - just that it does get some support and arms. But not enough to fight a sustained war.

I don’t think it’s possible for Iran to fund and arm the Palestinians in the same way the US and the west have armed and funded Israel’s military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

Colonialist Settlers who enforce apartheid at gunpoint and stole other peoples homes are not civilians. Hope this helps.

Thanks, will keep this in mind for future reference.