Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I was going to say that pulling hard from FF12/Tactics Advance and having Judges as antagonists would be a bit redundant given the general design of Garlean leaders since even 1.0, but it's perfectly set up to have some jackass survivors starting trouble in the rebuilding.

I also don't think FF7/8/9/10 are close to tapped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

There are overt references and subtle ones. We don't usually get overt ones outside of 4 and 6 unless I'm horribly mistaken.

Like it would be awesome if we got a Ultimecia fight or Fujin and Raijin show up somewhere.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 7, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheWorldsaStage posted:

There are overt references and subtle ones. We don't usually get overt ones outside of 4 and 6 unless I'm horribly mistaken.

Like it would be awesome if we got a Ultimecia fight or Fujin and Raijin show up somewhere

The ending of the Eden raid series is a 1:1 recreation of FF8's ending.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

slides the gently caress in like tom cruise in risky business

ACTUALLY the Eden ending was good. :smug:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Doomykins posted:

slides the gently caress in like tom cruise in risky business

ACTUALLY the Eden ending was good. :smug:

Much like tom cruise, this poster is being blackmailed into saying this. Wish them well in future!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I will admit I've not full played FF8 in so long all I remember is the vague dissatisfaction I had with the whole story after the infamous Disc 2 but the shot was right there.

More seriously, adapting the Sorceress/Time Nonsense storyline into a subplot and breathing much more into it(like every subplot, even Omega!) would be rad.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nostalgia bait ftw tbh

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hooting and hollering when we get to Tural and there's Hypello there and they ask me "Ride ze Shoopuf?"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Here's a list of references I'd consider very overt that I remember.

FF1) You fight Chaos, the final boss of FF1, in the Omega raids. The original design of the Warrior of Light is used in the Seat of Sacrifice trial. Matoya, in general. Mount Gulg is a location on the first and a location in FF1.

FF2) Firion's outfit is available as a glam. The talking beavers in Il Mheg are from 2. A remix of the FF2 battle theme is used a few times, mostly during mini-combat events in the 2.x storyline.

FF3) Crystal Tower and its associated characters.

FF4) Various bosses, such as Calcabrina, Mist Dragon, The Magus Sisters, etc. The Tower of Babil, and of course a thousand other things in Endwalker. In general Endwalker is a big FF4 reference, including the whole Golbez storyline in the patches.

FF5) Sastasha is also the name of a pirate cove in FF5. Omega and Shinryu are also rivals in FF5. Gilgamesh. The Omega series contains ExDeath, Halicarnassus, and Castratrophe.

FF6) Doma and Hien, a bunch of random bosses like the Magna Roader and Number 024. The Omega series contains the Phantom Train and Kefka. Ultros.

FF7) The Knights of the Round bit Thordan does. Costa del Sol and the Gold Saucer. The Weapons in the Sorrow of Werlyt. A few other bosses, like the Guard Scorpion and Unknown.

FF8) I wasn't counting abilities lifted from other games but I need to shoutout how many of Gunbreaker's abilities specifically are just lifted from Squall's attacks. A lot of the animations seem like they might be reused from Dissidia straightup. Also Diabolos, and as mentioned most of the Eden series. Squall's outfit.

FF9) The whole You Are Not Alone sequence gets directly homaged in Endwalker. Ozma. Zidane's outfit.

FF10) Anima. The Hrothgar are based directly on the Ronso. Yojimbo. Tidus and Yuna's outfits.

FF11) A ton of the beast tribes are directly lifted from races in 11. A bunch of bosses are too, like Fenrir and everything going on in Alzadaal's Legacy.

FF12) A bunch of stuff in the Ivalice raids - Ashe, Ba'Gamnan, Fran, etc. Viera. Zodiark is also lifted from FF12, he's only appeared in it and 14 so it's fair to say he's a 12 reference.

FF13) Basically nothing besides some generic enemy model reuse and the collab event.

FF15) See 13.

There's a ton, a tooon of smaller homages and callbacks, there are just the ones that I'd categorize as 'even people who haven't played FF9 might know Ozma is from FF9.'

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah imagine if there was a long haired techno-experimental super soldier who loved fancy katanas who breaks free of his creator and family's control and throws the world into chaos who constantly harassed the WoL seeking a reunion with them.

Couldn't be this game.

Counterpoint: that rear end, tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also vauthry's plot also has a lot of similarities to sephiroth if you replace jenova cells with sin eater goop.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Aren't the dwarves (lali-ho stuff particularly) and Lopporits/namingways specifically from old games too? Nu Mou from FFTA/FF12 as well.

That said it's still criminal we have not got FF12/FFTA/FFTA2 Moogles.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Aren't the dwarves (lali-ho stuff particularly) and Lopporits/namingways specifically from old games too? Nu Mou from FFTA/FF12 as well.

whoops forgot about the various beast tribes.

The namingways are from 4. As for the dwarves they've been in multiple games so I didn't count them as a specific reference. They're in 1, 3, 4, 5, and 9. The lali-ho thing first appeared in 3 and was carried through 4, 5, and 9.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Dwarves and Lopporits are FF4(though Dwarves are multi-game.) Lopporits are expanded dramatically for FF14 and were barely an amusing difference in town sprites to give you a place in the last areas/dungeon to restock in FF4. Dwarves are much different and only really the appearance carries over, though it's a pretty striking one with the same rad energy as the iconic Black Mage. In FF4 a significant chunk of the mid game is underground. Thinking about it(since they're a boss down there) the Calcobrena are a much earlier FF4 overt reference.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 7, 2023

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Okay, more seriously: Zenos is so significantly different in demeanor, motivation, social position, and more that he and Sephiroth are mostly superficially similar

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Appreciate the reference reference (:haw:) Endorph!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxyclean posted:

We probably never will

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Oxyclean posted:

Lali-ho and dwarves go back to the OG FF although it wasn't translated as that originally. Namingway is from FF4 originally.

Stormblood had a lot of FF6 references. A lot of the facilities around creating the revenant comes from the FF6 magitek research facility.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Regalingualius posted:

Okay, more seriously: Zenos is so significantly different in demeanor, motivation, social position, and more that he and Sephiroth are mostly superficially similar

Also disappointingly at no point do we fight shirtless Zenos

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Doomykins posted:

I will admit I've not full played FF8 in so long all I remember is the vague dissatisfaction I had with the whole story after the infamous Disc 2 but the shot was right there.

More seriously, adapting the Sorceress/Time Nonsense storyline into a subplot and breathing much more into it(like every subplot, even Omega!) would be rad.

Again they DID do that already. Gaia's whole deal is being harassed by a time displaced magical entity trying to replace her entire personality and self with itself. She's got aspects of both Rinoa AND Squall and then Ryne has the remaining aspects of the two.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV_allusions/Final_Fantasy_series

The FF wiki has a more substantial list. Some are kind of a stretch but it catalogs stuff like model reuse from 13/15 so it's still a neat read. I didn't catch that the glowy trash in the middle of the Dead Ends is just a retexture of some of the psicom enemies in 13.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Doomykins posted:

Dwarves and Lopporits are FF4(though Dwarves are multi-game.) Lopporits are expanded dramatically for FF14 and were barely an amusing difference in town sprites to give you a place in the last areas/dungeon to restock in FF4.

Hell, thanks to the portrait sprite for Namingway in the GBA version, I thought they were actually cat people

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Yes, as are most of the references that 14 uses in its versions of the story. Like, that's how it handles almost every reference, especially if they're stuff in the narrative and not just like....a boss battle.

This is like saying Doma and its history aren't in part an FF6 reference because Hien and his father are different from the people they're based on/named for in FF6.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Hmm. That's quite a bit of FF8 lifted then. Thank you for pointing it out to me, that makes me appreciate Eden even more!

Alright, here's our next subplot antagonist who tries to invade our tropical paradise with a giant moving city/military training school:

He will be fully voiced.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frankly i wouldnt be surprised if shumi (norg's race) showed up at some point, they're one of the only major one-off races we haven't gotten yet. It's like them, red xiii's race, the qu, and the ride ze shoepuff guys.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Electric Phantasm posted:

We probably never will

This guy needs to gently caress off

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

frankly i wouldnt be surprised if shumi (norg's race) showed up at some point, they're one of the only major one-off races we haven't gotten yet. It's like them, red xiii's race, and the ride ze shoepuff guys.

We should meet one of Red XIII's race on the boat to Tural posing as a sailor.

Also have the Moomba shown up outside of FF8?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Endorph posted:

FF12) A bunch of stuff in the Ivalice raids - Ashe, Ba'Gamnan, Fran, etc. Viera. Zodiark is also lifted from FF12, he's only appeared in it and 14 so it's fair to say he's a 12 reference.

Impressed you forgot that literally every Ascian's name comes from a "Scion of Light" counterpart to the FF12's Espers mentioned in their bestiary entries.

And also for later game spoilers Venat's name also comes from 12.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Countblanc posted:

This guy needs to gently caress off

:hai:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

We should meet one of Red XIII's race on the boat to Tural posing as a sailor.

Also have the Moomba shown up outside of FF8?
Moomba are FF8 exclusive.

also goddamn the shumi are some weird looking dudes

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Endorph posted:

FF13) Basically nothing besides some generic enemy model reuse and the collab event.

FF15) See 13.

Guess which other two FF games besides 14 have I played :v:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The entire NORG sequence is so wonderfully weird and it's up there with things like the original FF1 Chaos reveal and the time travel, parallel dimension, void, space travel and other crazy stuff I love Square for experimenting with.

So bring on the nostalgia bait, you smelt gold ore to make gold bars, seems successful to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite part of NORG is that after you beat him he forms into a cocoon and if you go back later its hatched and hes nowhere to be found. this is never addressed or explained.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Vitamean posted:

drip check

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
This game has a lot of references, but also for a lot of these designs its also the first time seeing them in 3D graphics, so that's pretty cool

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Needs more FFX (the only other FF I have actually finished)

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

if dawntrail doesn't go fairly heavy on ffx given the more tropical setting I will be surprised

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Endorph posted:

also vauthry's plot also has a lot of similarities to sephiroth if you replace jenova cells with sin eater goop.

Vauthry is Don Corneo with Sephiroth's backstory.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

World War Mammories posted:

if dawntrail doesn't go fairly heavy on ffx given the more tropical setting I will be surprised

It's got the little duckbilled guys. We're getting a lot of FFX in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Regalingualius posted:

We’ve still never gotten a Sephiroth boss fight

We still don’t know Sephiroth.