Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

that'll show em. wave those signs around and then go home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

if you are bothered by second hand vape? you are the biggest baby in the entire world

if you aren’t bothered by second hand vape you’ve never stood in a basement room with no air circulation after someone has expelled all the chocolate muffin smell from their lungs and now it’s hovering in the air, a miasma of vape smoke and whatever else was in that persons lungs, just hovering at head level for like 20 min

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I may or may not allegedly know a company that hired a bunch of Elite Executive failures from Name Brand Companies because of their resumes. Said failures then allegedly almost drove the company into bankruptcy with extremely stupid decisions and caused huge layoffs. Said failures then allegedly had an unplanned executive retreat following the annual executive Caribbean vacation because they were so disturbed by the state of the company they needed to convene to brainstorm but they were so dispersed across the world the private jet could only get a few of them and some had to stoop to business class flights.

The solution these titans of industry expertly identified was more layoffs. Allegedly.

Many such cases. My last employer, you could tell the rot was coming because of the mold like growth of random VP positions that never existed before and these people were never heard from again after we in IT were done giving them equipment they would never return. The hospital was shuttered in 18 months once this happened.

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 15:59 on Oct 7, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I may or may not allegedly know a company that hired a bunch of Elite Executive failures from Name Brand Companies because of their resumes. Said failures then allegedly almost drove the company into bankruptcy with extremely stupid decisions and caused huge layoffs. Said failures then allegedly had an unplanned executive retreat following the annual executive Caribbean vacation because they were so disturbed by the state of the company they needed to convene to brainstorm but they were so dispersed across the world the private jet could only get a few of them and some had to stoop to business class flights.

The solution these titans of industry expertly identified was more layoffs. Allegedly.

it was you

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

mila kunis posted:

the development of a “middle class” independent of the capitalists.

:dafuq:
why are you reading such garbage

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

name it bitch

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it’s every company

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it’s every company

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

selec posted:

2. they are not complying. your body will tell you in no uncertain terms that you hosed up. my worst night on Ozempic came from eating a Schwarma at 9pm. sucked, but I learned from one experience to not eat like a moron or that will happen. you will pay a price if you don’t get into a schedule and diet that makes sense. you have to work with what your body wants now, which is wildly different than what it wanted before, and that learning curve can be difficult.

what happened to you and that shawarma?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it’s every company

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Bixington posted:

Why not just get some speed or coke and not only enjoy your appetite suppressant but also get more poo poo done faster?

also if you’re concerned about regularity your bowels love a dab of cocaine with coffee in the mornin; opens you right up

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

a limited strike is loving stupid

they're fine as part of an escalation strategy, like the Just Practicing pickets. But if you're not ready to go the distance they're fairly meaningless.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

i am harry posted:

also if you’re concerned about regularity your bowels love a dab of cocaine with coffee in the mornin; opens you right up

i took over someone's room in an apartment once who unironically said she did so much coke so that she could poo poo in the morning, this checks out. she might have spent so much on it she had to move back in with her parents but at least she was regular

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

This happened to me a couple months ago, I list like 2 pounds after expecting to gain 5

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Mr. Lobe posted:

This happened to me a couple months ago, I list like 2 pounds after expecting to gain 5

Man I guess it really is just the olive oil

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

I swear to Christ donating blood plasma gives people leukemia

huh? go into detail please

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Mr. Lobe posted:

How much walking did you do compared to your typical day at home?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Mr. Lobe posted:

i just got back from san francisco and i was feeling a bit bloated after my cousins wedding but i came back down 6lbs. TBF on top of all the walking all day everyday for meetings and stuff i found i didn’t have time to eat, so i would just grab a fistful of wasabi almonds from my bag to keep myself alive. upon my return i am deciding that my coffee is perfectly fine for breakfast, and i can make a veggie omelet later in the day as a lunch.

i am a fat goon, still. but i am finally below 3 bills for the first time since 2007 from my shameful 2018 peak of 406. that was when i decided i desperately needed some help. i empathize with the fatties though- poo poo is hard, existence is suffering, and i know that i tend to use food and booze as my comfort items in this hellworld so i tend to steer my thoughts toward “you can do it, buddy, it is hard, but the power is in you- it just takes a good amount of time” of course gogogo capitalism makes it hard

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i am harry posted:

if you aren’t bothered by second hand vape you’ve never stood in a basement room with no air circulation after someone has expelled all the chocolate muffin smell from their lungs and now it’s hovering in the air, a miasma of vape smoke and whatever else was in that persons lungs, just hovering at head level for like 20 min

Maybe you could put a corsi cube in the room?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

similar experiences the times i had to go to europe to work. even at like 370 in paris, i came back home and realized that car culture has well and truly hosed us- and that is before one factors the poo poo food here. at least i learned to cook too. FYI, homemade bread doesn’t spike your glucose- store-bought certainly does (i used a gcm tracker for a few weeks for some data points a year ago, I do recommend and even PCPs are willing to prescribe them if you are curious and have only yelled at you about losing weight regardless your maladies for the last 10 years)

…things get more complicated without healthcare or a job though, so, yeah.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Turnquiet posted:

similar experiences the times i had to go to europe to work. even at like 370 in paris, i came back home and realized that car culture has well and truly hosed us- and that is before one factors the poo poo food here. at least i learned to cook too. FYI, homemade bread doesn’t spike your glucose- store-bought certainly does (i used a gcm tracker for a few weeks for some data points a year ago, I do recommend and even PCPs are willing to prescribe them if you are curious and have only yelled at you about losing weight regardless your maladies for the last 10 years)

…things get more complicated without healthcare or a job though, so, yeah.

store bought bread in Europe will spike your glucose just fine. there isn't a special type of white flour they use that doesn't.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

store bought bread in Europe will spike your glucose just fine. there isn't a special type of white flour they use that doesn't.

American bakeries add sugar to their bread.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

didn't believe this until the lidl near me started carrying an "american style" brand of toast that's so sugary i can't eat it.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Zodium posted:

didn't believe this until the lidl near me started carrying an "american style" brand of toast that's so sugary i can't eat it.

easier to caramelize and look nice out of the toaster!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

yeah I bought some bread that was like that last month but that's the first time in 6 years it happened. white flour is gonna spike your blood sugar no matter what.

heres a type of store brand bread at Safeway that they have been selling for at least 15 years:

sourdough posted:

Unbleached Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Salt, Wheat Gluten, Fumaric Acid, 2% or Less of Each of the Following: Palm Oil, Acetic Acid, Canola Oil, Lactic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Enzymes, Yeast.
it's not the greatest but it's widely available and affordable.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

if you're not diabetic or pre-diabetic you don't need to worry about "spiking your glucose," like at all

just consume a healthy amount of calories for your energy expenditure and eat your daily fruits and veggies

Zodium posted:

I buy this when I'm homesick

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

webcams for christ posted:

if you're not diabetic or pre-diabetic you don't need to worry about "spiking your glucose," like at all

just consume a healthy amount of calories for your energy expenditure and eat your daily fruits and veggies

Uhhh, where do you think insulin resistance comes from in the first place?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the Safeway French bread has sugar listed as an ingredient:

quote:

Enriched Unbleached Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron as Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Enzyme, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Yeast, Contains Less than 2% of the Following: Salt, Soybean Oil, Sugar, Dextrose, Potassium Chloride, Enzyme, Ascorbic Acid
adding up to 1 g of added sugar.

let's look at a European country, which is also the worlds greatest eater of bread per capita. this is the standard government certified, price controlled bread in Turkey:

quote:

Wheat flour, water, yeast, salt, sugar, ascorbic acid
the Safeway "French bread" tastes pretty similar and has mostly the same ingredients in the same order.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

German bread can be really gross and sweet, much like their pickles. I blame German Americans for any wrongdoings of American breads.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

German bread can be really gross and sweet, much like their pickles. I blame German Americans for any wrongdoings of American breads.

germans make a rye bread that's incredibly sweetened. i got tricked into buying it once and again simply could not eat it.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Bixington posted:

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=insulin+resistance+etiology

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Maybe you could put a corsi cube in the room?

maybe candy lungs can just vape outside like any other sane and respectful smoker

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Bixington posted:

I was typing up a big explainer

but I like this better

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bixington posted:

being fat as hell my man

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

my loaves at home have yeast water salt white and wheat flour and it is pretty toothsome and delightful and didn’t spike my blood sugar when I was gathering data so sorry for being a fat man trying to do better I guess :shrug:

at least I didn’t share my height to try and say “but I carry it well” nobody does

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Turnquiet posted:

my loaves at home have yeast water salt white and wheat flour and it is pretty toothsome and delightful and didn’t spike my blood sugar when I was gathering data so sorry for being a fat man trying to do better I guess :shrug:

at least I didn’t share my height to try and say “but I carry it well” nobody does

I'm glad it worked out for you op but white bread is gonna have a big load of G however you slice it...

e: it could be the kind you were buying had a lot of sugar in it, but bread that is not so sugary id also widely available

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 18:11 on Oct 7, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

baking bread at home is a beautiful, sacred thing that needs no further justification

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

webcams for christ posted:

baking bread at home is a beautiful, sacred thing that needs no further justification

my mom grew up on a farm and grandma made 10 loaves every week, that part sounds lovely even if the rest of life on a subsistence farm sucks major rear end

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it’s every company