Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
and that's always bothered me, a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Don't know why everyone is going on about reunification, i'm thinking it'll be at least another generation before it starts to be a choice.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
that's not a given

and imagining and discussing possible futures is a normal part of human discourse, i suppose :/

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix posted:

given the structural and cultural gap between north and south at this point the only realistic option imo is a north/south federation rather than the whole island administered from dublin

and donegal would be best placed in the northern region because it's always stuck out like a sore thumb as part of the south culturally

it doesn't even belong there geographically: it contains the northern most point of the island

The differences between NI and Republic are hardly comparable to those between east and west Germany and they managed it OK. The main difference as far as I can see, having just returned from a week in Galway, is that NI is absolutely crumbling to poo poo in terms of infrastructure and development

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

that's not a given

and imagining and discussing possible futures is a normal part of human discourse, i suppose :/

Fair point. :tipshat:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Spikey Willow posted:

He keeps saying "prices go up when [landlords] leave the market". Do they? Those houses still exist, they're just being sold rather than rented. It doesn't affect supply and demand because the same number of houses are still available. I'm not sure what he's expecting her to say? I wouldn't expect a Labour government to be on the side of landlords...

The house still exists, but when people buy a house they don't tend to shove 5 people into a 3-bed semi like landlords do in HMOs. So landlords selling to owners occupiers can reduce the available housing even when the physical houses don't change.

There's also landlords evicting tenants to sell their houses, which they overprice because house prices are currently falling. If a house is unoccupied for 6 months until it sells and exchange happen, the avaliable housing is also less.

The UK has one of the lowest rates of unoccupied housing in Europe because we've not been building enough for 30 years, and that finally seems to be hitting a breaking point - rents are shooting up in any city with jobs in it.

The answer to this is Build More Houses (and infrastructure to support the communities, in a managed fashion) but the capacity for this country to do anything but throw up identikit souless housing estates has been cut to the bone the last 15 years.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

The differences between NI and Republic are hardly comparable to those between east and west Germany and they managed it OK. The main difference as far as I can see, having just returned from a week in Galway, is that NI is absolutely crumbling to poo poo in terms of infrastructure and development

yeah it won't be news to you that there hasn't been a functioning government for a very long time and Westminster is using economic strangulation to try to force the DUP back into Stormont, once again completely failing to understand that they are dealing with religious fundamentalists who are beholden to loyalist paramilitaries

or just plain not caring

it's alarming to see how quickly things are falling apart though. In health, education and local government everything had already been cut to the bone and we're now sawing off bones. Even something as everyday as going to the nice places all around for a walk is no longer something you can do because the roads there are so broken - not pot holes, but bits of the road missing

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and as for a one-island government in Dublin, I disagree: federal two state solution is the correct option. bye.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

and as for a one-island government in Dublin, I disagree: federal two state solution is the correct option. bye.

Who are you disagreeing with on that though? Doesn't everyone here kind of agree on that. Ive been fairly clear that's how I see it working, in previous versions of Thread.

Anyway, for the moment, I hope the Republic can help with Lough Neagh, British government can't be trusted to look after large bodies of water.

And sorry that everything is shite. Hope it's a little better someday when the country is reunited

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Is more or less Dan's better?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The answer to this is Build More Houses (and infrastructure to support the communities, in a managed fashion) but the capacity for this country to do anything but throw up identikit souless housing estates has been cut to the bone the last 15 years.

Nah the UK could easily do that, or even change rules to make it easier for companies to do it.

The problem is that house ownership and landlording has become the main income/wealth increase stream for most everyone with wealth and power in this country.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

and donegal would be best placed in the northern region because it's always stuck out like a sore thumb as part of the south culturally

crispix posted:

Four state solution. Donegal gets to be in the north, Cork gets to be a state capital, and three can outvote any one that tries any silly poo poo at the federal level.

notaspy posted:

I'm a 12th dan in karate, he is a film star
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOad90BvvjM&t=69s

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

Who are you disagreeing with on that though?

smellmycheese

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
^^°musta missed that post

Guavanaut posted:

Cork gets to be a state capital,

If you knew anything about us, it's that we are already the real capital, by virtue of being the Biggest County full of the Biggest Fellas who tell the Biggest Lies. If this was ever legitimised we'd lose the run of ourselves altogether

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is more or less Dan's better?

In karate, more. In GBNews, fewer.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
what DEADLY MOVES can you do :holy:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

what DEADLY MOVES can you do :holy:

Used to be able to put my legs behind my head. Which could be good for u kno what

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Four state solution. Donegal gets to be in the north, Cork gets to be a state capital, and three can outvote any one that tries any silly poo poo at the federal level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOad90BvvjM&t=69s

Sudden strong urge to play Crusader Kings

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix posted:

smellmycheese

How you can live here, as I do, and think the best future lies with still letting the vested interests of NI a say in things is insane to me. This place is turbofucked. The minute you cross the (non existent) border you can see the difference.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

How you can live here, as I do, and think the best future lies with still letting the vested interests of NI a say in things is insane to me. This place is turbofucked. The minute you cross the (non existent) border you can see the difference.

on the other hand, do you really want a bunch of spiteful, bigoted obstructionist orange order members to have a say in how the rest of the island is governed?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

on the other hand, do you really want a bunch of spiteful, bigoted obstructionist orange order members to have a say in how the rest of the island is governed?

It's this.

Plus the fact that they're never just gonna roll over and accept "Papist rule from Dublin" or whatever so it's just a nonviable suggestion

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the shinners up here are hard bastards with decades of experience dealing with their poo poo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

Incredible video. So we’re now just filming military incursions like it’s a Schwarzenegger movie…

https://twitter.com/swilkinsonbc/status/1710577172358828434?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Moe Sizzlak tactics eh

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Dan just means level.

In my day news, I completed my Saturday longsword fighting thingy. A very surprising amount of it has you holding said sword above or beside your head so my shoulders are going to exact T-Rex arms vengeance tomorrow. Enjoyed it immensely.

That said, I got home and enjoyed an egg salad sambo and McCoy's flame grilled crisps, along with a tasty Sierra Nevada. In a bit I am going to smoke a bowl, put the wash on and raise a glass of Woodford bourbon to Camrath.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I think my spirit Dan is broken, nothing seems Dan in my house. My frustration Dans are rising.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix posted:

I’m willing to allow them to plough their furrow in a democratic all Ireland political system. Let’s see how well Jeffrey and his swivel eyed chums fare

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

I’m willing to allow them to plough their furrow in a democratic all Ireland political system. Let’s see how well Jeffrey and his swivel eyed chums fare

Nah, thanks though.

E: I mean, eventually, yeah. I see the federal approach as a transitional system, but I'm not willing to put a timeframe on how long that takes and hopefully that breed of oval office will have stopped propagating by then

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think my spirit Dan is broken, nothing seems Dan in my house. My frustration Dans are rising.

that could make someone desperate imo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

smellmycheese posted:

One problem is the DUP get into the House of Lords virtually automatically.
They are more worried about losing that gravy train then NI itself, they are happy to see their own areas goto ruin.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
just bury all DUP politicians like nuclear waste imo

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Rachel is making things up again

https://twitter.com/rachelrileyrr/status/1710682460378243500?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A twitter troll friend has made a marvelous banner and profile picture if any of you wish to rile up a certain demographic:

https://twitter.com/chai_ste/status/1710729447995793584

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

One problem is the DUP get into the House of Lords virtually automatically.

crispix posted:

This place is not a place of honours.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

Should probably use even more concrete just to be safe

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Put them in the death concrete schools and put the children in the government, it would probably work better.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Indeed , exposure to any form of non religious education is toxic to the Orangeman

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

What happens if you mix orange and green? As you have that huge Primordial Soup lake just sitting there begging for human sacrifice

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depends on whether you would qualify them as addtive or subtractive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

What happens if you mix orange and green? As you have that huge Primordial Soup lake just sitting there begging for human sacrifice

Was thinking that myself, to revive Lough Neagh the Old Ones must be sated with the sacrifice of the Unclean. :cthulhu: