Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Captain Disillusion made some shorts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcG_n_yQM0k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXAy5FAmZ34

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Jacob Geller - How Can We Bear to Throw Anything Away?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukJ_UA-JS5o

Kind of another downer

Secret Base - Fumble Dimension - We ruined the NBA's past with a video game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3q3ZoJyirw

Kofie is back with another two parter

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched a bunch of stuff tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIWyZnkw1uM
Kurtis explores the content of that viral eyesight lady

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIYDVZ5a4lE
Evasive makes a group of trans dudes watch She's the Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqZwzomzfvw
Gabi does her own video about that time Chris James took her to do Heelys.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Good vid. Still haven't won me over from being a Riven preferrer.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Terrible Opinions posted:

Good vid. Still haven't won me over from being a Riven preferrer.

Totally fair! To each their own, it just never clicked with me.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Beating the original Final Fantasy with only a single white mage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDc1i5ZKmCA

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My stance on Riven is basically...I can appreciate it from a distance. Graphically it's great, its worldbuilding is very strong, and it has a certain crazy ambition to it. But in terms of actually being a fun puzzle game to figure out? Ehhh. You've got the lopsidedness of most of the game world consisting of arbitrary navigational puzzles, with your two real goals being tangled up in the two massive, game-spanning puzzles. One of which is actually kinda simplistic, but a bit obtuse and non-diegetic in a way that's always bothered me. The other is ridiculously elaborate and in something of a common problem (*cough*Firmament*cough*) even once you know the gist of the solution properly implementing it can be maddening and it takes lots of steps. In both cases the disparate clues are scattered across the entire game world in a way that's like, both kinda cool and also kinda infuriating. Granted, I also haven't played it in decades and last I did was when I was incredibly young and, naturally, leaning on the strategy guide for all it was worth.

Aaand welp I wrote all that before watching the video and sure enough my tastes and Sardonik's align perfectly. Myst 3 is also, indeed, my favorite of the main games* and I guess saying why would in fact just be even more redundant. The editing gags were wonderful and I don't think I fully considered the potential before of snark and Myst. The only weird part of the video was the conspicuous absence of even a stray mention of the other non-Cyan Myst game... People who like Myst 4, now those are the REAL weirdos. :v:

*URU exists in a special quantum state all its own. Worth noting my favorite part of it, and possibly my favorite thing in the entire series with Myst 3's end of age payoffs being a close second, hinges a lot on the rules of the Art and the abuse thereof.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 7, 2023

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

revelation has at least one redeeming quality in that it's the last iteration of FMV integration and it's executed in a pretty cool cinematic way

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Well, and speaking of neurodivergence and Myst, it had that somewhat inexplicable but appreciated gimmick of being able to tap on objects with your hand cursor and hear an appropriate sound effect.

Truthfully, 4 is the only game of the bunch I've never seen the whole way through. (Until Firmament, anyway.:rip: ) I was playing with my dad and after spinning our wheels on some early inscrutable puzzles I gave up and he quickly followed suit after pushing only a bit further ahead. Ultimately I've never heard anything to make me regret giving up on it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

unfortunately this forum has a recent torrid history with Riven: The Sequel to Myst

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
oh boy is it time for Other People's Trauma chat already?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I don't know if "The Sequel to Myst" is actually the subtitle of Riven, but it's so ingrained in my mental reflexes to type "Riven: The Sequel to Myst". It's like trying to fight the impulse to add "Electric Boogaloo" to the end of every sequel movie that's titled something like "Troll 2".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It was. As I understand it, Cyan hated it, but their publisher (wisely) mandated it. Something similar happened with URU.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
The only thing I really know about Myst is that Stephen Sondheim was a big fan and at one point as he was considering leaving the theater world and wanted to compose for video games

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
the virgin Sondheim vs the chad Carpenter

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
was there ever a movie with the subtitle electric boogaloo or is it just like a grandpa-age oldschool meme

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's the subtitle of Breakin 2.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
There was a joke in that 80s show where someone said “i never saw breakin 1 am I gonna be lost” and that is the only joke I remember from that whole series

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Exile is the best one and it was a shame you couldn't get it digitally for so.long.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

NorgLyle posted:

I know nobody wants to say it but Monty Oum was fantastic at the things he did. Unfortunately, the things that he did weren't actually all that good. By which I mean Monty was probably the best person ever to stage and film poser fights of video game characters but like... video game characters having fights isn't really that notable or interesting once you've seen a few of them happen.

Much as I love Hbomberguy's RWBY video, it's kinda weird hearing him express so much admiration for Oum, especially after people found evidence that he clowned on the guy just as much as anyone else back in the day.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Solitair posted:

Much as I love Hbomberguy's RWBY video, it's kinda weird hearing him express so much admiration for Oum, especially after people found evidence that he clowned on the guy just as much as anyone else back in the day.

The part of that vid that loses me is hbomb talking about how the writers failed to really do something interesting or at least as interesting as montys fight scenes and he frames it like it's them failing Monty's work which is strange because....a lot of those writing decisions and ideas were monty's.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
He also kinda glosses over the fact that a lot of what made the early seasons of RWBY's production so rough was that Oum would just go dark for weeks and then pop up out of nowhere and go "okay guys here's the fight scene" and everybody else had to scramble to make the rest of the show make sense as context for that fight scene to happen.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Farg posted:

was there ever a movie with the subtitle electric boogaloo or is it just like a grandpa-age oldschool meme

Yup https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakin%27_2%3A_Electric_Boogaloo

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Farg posted:

glad you asked!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6DpCCixH28

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydin posted:

He also kinda glosses over the fact that a lot of what made the early seasons of RWBY's production so rough was that Oum would just go dark for weeks and then pop up out of nowhere and go "okay guys here's the fight scene" and everybody else had to scramble to make the rest of the show make sense as context for that fight scene to happen.

Basically Rooster Teeth's auteur theory?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It just reminds me of his Sherlock video where one of the big thesis points is that the major reason the old Sherlock stories were giod was they were episodic and the overarching plot thread was the why of BBC sherlock's shittiness.

Instead of it just being the old stories weren't stupid and the new ones were.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Riven: The Sequel to Myst is on my shelf right next to Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire.

I don’t have very many cd roms or dvds.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGYolaCaa78

Dude with a soothing voice explains how slopes work in Quake.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It just reminds me of his Sherlock video where one of the big thesis points is that the major reason the old Sherlock stories were giod was they were episodic and the overarching plot thread was the why of BBC sherlock's shittiness.

BBC Sherlock is an extreme perpetrator of the "everything needs to be directly connected to our super special main character" crime of modern fiction. Right up there with Star Wars 9.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Sydin posted:

"I know that these characters didn't exist until today, but they are going to be the main focus of the big dramatic action scenes that we have already finished for the finale."

"Um... what are their names at least?"

"Oh I don't know. I don't like doing writing. Figure it out. I'm going to get back to work on animating the train fight."

"The what?"

It is possible that if RWBY had been organized like an actual film or television production with like producers and show runners that it might not have been such a hilarious disaster. Very big emphasis on possible.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
RWBY seasons 1 and 2 had an amateur charm the much technically better modern stuff doesn't, but they were never really that good, either. Monty wasn't some god of storytelling, and a lot of its least coherent worldbuilding comes from stuff that's always been in the setting.

My favorite example of gratuitous fight scenes was the Season 2 finale. The city's invaded, and everyone effortlessly clowns on the invaders. The main characters. The B team. The C listers. The faculty. Monty's pet extras. The team mascot. Even the loving villains get in on it. Then everything is magicked back together with 0 consequence.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

BBC Sherlock is an extreme perpetrator of the "everything needs to be directly connected to our super special main character" crime of modern fiction. Right up there with Star Wars 9.

Yeah but that's not inherently the fault of it being a story with a running through line and not purely episodic, that's the fault of the writers not being able to write something good. And the former is the point Hbomb is trying to make comparing to the originals.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Council of Geeks looks at why the Nimona film is such a great adaptation despite changing so much of the story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8hLt2QuNeo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

So is that why they spend like 5 episodes hanging out in school instead of just doing the Grimm hunting?

Yeah but that's not inherently the fault of it being a story with a running through line and not purely episodic, that's the fault of the writers not being able to write something good. And the former is the point Hbomb is trying to make comparing to the originals.

I don't exactly see the contradiction. The impression I have is that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle stories were all good because; they were isolated, interesting, had Watson contribute to solving the mysteries too instead of hanging off on the sidelines or being kidnapped, and didn't have to set up for a sequel or future episode. Whereas the BBC version is all about Sherlock Holmes eventually coming to a confrontation with Moriarty at some point while he solves most of the mysteries off screen.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
In hindsight I think Watson was only useful in the first episode of the show.

Allthough him avoiding the trope of "mysterious graffiti that disappears when he brings a witness to it." by simply taking a mobile phone snapshot of it was admittedly funny.
We could have used more common sense Watson.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 7, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

So is that why they spend like 5 episodes hanging out in school instead of just doing the Grimm hunting?

I don't exactly see the contradiction. The impression I have is that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle stories were all good because; they were isolated, interesting, had Watson contribute to solving the mysteries too instead of hanging off on the sidelines or being kidnapped, and didn't have to set up for a sequel or future episode. Whereas the BBC version is all about Sherlock Holmes eventually coming to a confrontation with Moriarty at some point while he solves most of the mysteries off screen.

His argument is the BBC show's writing is bad because it's connected and unlike the original where were unconnected and good.

The originals were not good because they were unconnected.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There's a specific thing common in modern media of making a metaplot more fundamentally important than each individual episode, because metaplots get far more engagement over a longer time frame. It's the sort of poo poo that was more or less kicked off by :lost: where any single episode could ultimately be meaningless because the real payoff was just around the corner...stay tuned! Serialization is not inherently bad, but some hack writers use it as a way to string the audience along rather than simply telling a decompressed story.

It's been a while since I've watch Hbomb's video, but at least to my recollection this started as a minor problem and then grew into a bigger and bigger one as the show progressed and it stopped being about Sherlock Holmes solving mysteries straight out of the original stories but with modern twists (except maybe for the uh, yellow peril episode :wtc:) and became more about the rude autistic man, his put upon boyfriend, the campy gay supervillain who died almost immediately but for some reason they kept teasing had somehow survived (he didn't), and then finally the super secret third sibling who had actual factual psychic powers or some dumb horseshit.

Edit: To try and use another example, didn't a couple of Marvel movies run afoul of this, where they were more like scaffolding being set up in preparation for The Avengers (or Infinity War or whatever the next big tentpole movie was).

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 7, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Radar posted:

Council of Geeks looks at why the Nimona film is such a great adaptation despite changing so much of the story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8hLt2QuNeo

Wait, what the gently caress? I just watched that movie, what a weird coincidence. What was it an adaptation of? Was there a book or something?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Libluini posted:

Wait, what the gently caress? I just watched that movie, what a weird coincidence. What was it an adaptation of? Was there a book or something?

Yeah, Nimona was a webcomic first. it's extremely worth reading the book, even if you've seen the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Speaking of adaptations, YouTube recommended me this way-too-deep dive into an animated adaptation of the Tuttle Twins series of books that are libertarian propaganda aimed at kids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhe0LgQDgNg