Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

R.D. Mangles posted:

in the show, the guy is a younger colleague who has a ton of ideas while don is running on fumes and don is actually thinking about all of the time and seething

Honestly most of the time that meme is used it's very appropriate, just not for the reason the poster is hoping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

I already hated the Braves from them absolutely destroying us in the playoffs during what was at the time our franchise's best period, but reminding me of garbage rear end Blooper just reinforced it even more.

I cannot understand how the 90s Astros look is making a comeback in fan wear for so many reasons.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Blooper rips off the Phanatic. The Phanatic (and Pirate Parrott) were probably inspired by Atlanta's Bleacher Creature.

Bleacher Creature, which was also green, debuted in 1976. Phanatic came along a few months later.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

R.D. Mangles posted:

in the show, the guy is a younger colleague who has a ton of ideas while don is running on fumes and don is actually thinking about all of the time and seething

appreciate it

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I feel like the Braves picking that bland rear end mascot instead of, you know, a representation of the literal thing they are named after, is a tacit admission that they are aware their team identity is Not OK but are too chicken poo poo to admit it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
they should have a name more representative of their history. I propose the Atlanta Racist Traitor Losers

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
the Atlanta Ashes

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

the Atlanta Ashes

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

maffew buildings posted:

they should have a name more representative of their history. I propose the Atlanta Racist Traitor Losers

I refer to them as The Franchise Currently Plying Its Trade in Cobb County. It is a framing I have stolen from author John Green, and based on the fact that Milton-Keynes stole Wimbledon's football team and named themselves the MK Dons in attempt to keep Wimbledon's fans. (And then Wimbledon started a new community-/fan-owned team and the Wimbledon fans absolutely loathe MK for trying to buy a fandom.)

So yeah, a team with no name playing somewhere they didn't originate, trying to cash in on a fanbase.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gettin nervous about baseball over here :ohdear:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Intruder posted:

the Atlanta Ashes

:thurman:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

:smugbird:

WE PLAY TODAY

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

let's go: the o's/twins/phils

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

more falafel please posted:

:yeah:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

maffew buildings posted:

The Atlanta Shermanators

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

explosivo posted:

Gettin nervous about baseball over here :ohdear:

Same.

Also, hey, y'all, we need GDT titles for MIN-HOU and BAL-TEX. Any ideas will be considered.

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
John Means is out for the ALDS, wtf :negative:

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Edit: ^^^ what?! Damnit. Maybe he pushed it too much that eight inning outing

I figured the division series would have a single GDT like how everyone’s packed in during the regular season. Games don’t severely overlap and the high activity of the aughts has receded on this now-dead and same-sex-preferring forum.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yeah I don't like our odds as much without Means, but it sounds like he should be back for the ALCS. Means our rotation is almost certainly Bradish-Grayson-Kremer-Gibson and at least two of those should be winnable, and then back to Bradish for game 5.

E: Fuji and Means were the roster cuts for 26 and I'm a little surprised Kjerstad made it, less so that Fuji didn't.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

more falafel please posted:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
no Kyle Wright on the NLDS roster, they’re carrying Smith-Shawver instead (also no Uncle Jesse). Vaughn Grissom gets a spot too.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I thought Kjerstad got called up too late to be eligible for the postseason. That’s some helpful power. Love Fuji but he’s so streaky so I get that decision. And if Means has elbow soreness I feel like saying he’ll be available in the event they advance is just postseason day-to-day speak so their opponent will have to spend time gameplanning for him until the O’s announce he’s out.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

hey don’t blame them guys, the sneks found out about this a day later than goons did and there was just no time left!

https://twitter.com/dbacks/status/1710524232797769800

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

bawfuls posted:

hey don’t blame them guys, the sneks found out about this a day later than goons did and there was just no time left!

https://twitter.com/dbacks/status/1710524232797769800

Donate to a strike assistance fund then, cowards

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

waffy posted:

John Means is out for the ALDS, wtf :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDGlN6mluGA

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Riley batting second with Ozzie at cleanup, if the MLB app is to be believed. Ozzie's done that on occasion but Harris seemed like the go-to hitting behind Acuña if it wasn't Ozzie.

E: gently caress, Kyle Wright is done for the year with shoulder stiffness, so that's why he's not there.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 7, 2023

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Riley batting second with Ozzie at cleanup, if the MLB app is to be believed. Ozzie's done that on occasion but Harris seemed like the go-to hitting behind Acuña if it wasn't Ozzie.

E: gently caress, Kyle Wright is done for the year with shoulder stiffness, so that's why he's not there.

ugh lost year for Kyle hope he can bounce back

would expect to see a few weird lineups based on matchup but Ozzie seemed really comfortable in that 2 slot, who knows

Bowman is framing this as an attempt to break up Philly left hand pitching

elentar fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 7, 2023

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

would expect to see a few weird lineups based on matchup but Ozzie seemed really comfortable in that 2 slot, who knows
Speculation seems to be it's to protect Olson against lefty relievers; that kind of granular poo poo is just not their habit so why start microtweaking The Best Lineup Ever now imo?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Speculation seems to be it's to protect Olson against lefty relievers; that kind of granular poo poo is just not their habit so why start microtweaking The Best Lineup Ever now imo?

overthinking perhaps especially with Money Mike raking against lefties, who even knows

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Pathetic. Angel Hernandez respects a strike zone more than this.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Who thought that statement was a better idea than saying nothing at all?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Tony Phillips posted:

lmao

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tony Phillips posted:

:holymoley:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tony Phillips posted:

:vince:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Intruder posted:

the Atlanta Ashes

The Atlanta Flames already did that.

Of course, like the rest of the state during Sherman's march, they suffered from a lack of support and collapsed fairly quickly.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
N:
https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1710738004375986562

V: let the silly old man throw a pitch

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Byron Buxton posted:

Though Byron Buxton homered as part of a live batting practice session at Minute Maid Park during Friday’s workout, he remained off the roster after having expressed continued uncertainty about whether his bothersome right knee might act up if he were to be active for the series.

“Just day to day,” Buxton said. “Depends on how you feel. Don’t know how certain stuff’s going to act up so it’s just one of those things where like I said, don’t get too high, don’t get too low and stay even-keeled, stay positive.”

I hate this goddamn sport.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Counterpoint: the “silly old man” is a racist piece of poo poo election denier and can go pound salt and gently caress off forever imo

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Counterpoint: the “silly old man” is a racist piece of poo poo election denier and can go pound salt and gently caress off forever imo

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

i was asked to share the saga of birdhat. here is what i sent to The Baltimore Orioles:

Dear The Baltimore Orioles,

This is a story of Orioles Magic.

My life fell apart this spring.

I had to evacuate and live in a hotel for a while because of a weather disaster, I got laid off and I was looking for work. Baseball was getting started so, you know, there were bright spots. I’m a Yankees fan (stay with me), but I had some leads in the Baltimore area and I was thinking I might wind up there anyway. The Os were a young, fun team on the rise, the broadcast team was fun (I am also from Louisiana so Ben McDonald is my guy), and I was trying to work on my Maryland accent because I like to seem like a local, so I watched a lot of Os games and found myself rooting for them when it wouldn’t affect the Yankees (STAY WITH ME).

I got a job offer eventually. It involved a cross-country relocation which was going to involve throwing out basically everything I owned and tossing my cats, myself, and a few suitcases in the car. In the process of doing that, another storm system passed through and took out my power. It was going to be another week in a hotel with the cats.

This left me with a dilemma: I could pack up myself and the cats and some stuff, find a random hotel, go stay there until they got the power back on, come back, pack up my crap, and then pack us all up again and then start the whole “cross country move with the cats in the car” process. Or I could just go now and load up myself and the cats and find a cheap hotel to crash in for a few days somewhere in between my old home and my new one. To me, it didn’t make a lot of sense to go sit in a hotel for a week and then come back for a day or two, then leave again.

“Screw it,” I said, standing in a completely dark house at 2am, wearing a headlamp, trying to figure out where the little weasels were hiding. “We’ll do it live.” I threw basically everything in the dumpster, which helped cut down on the places they could hide, tossed them in their carriers, and headed out into the darkness.

With such a fortuitous beginning, you can imagine how the trip was going. Let’s say the cats partied so hard that I’m no longer welcome at a certain hotel in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. You know how Instagrammers post those cool videos of sun dappled cats reclining elegantly in the windows of spotless cars as they motor along? This trip was more “The vacation with your dad where he doesn’t let you speak for 12 hours as he grimly drives in angry silence.”

As I crossed into rural Virginia, I pulled into a truck stop.

It is important that you know a few things: I’m so old I am basically dead, which is to say 43, which is to say hats aren’t a fashion item so much as a way to keep the sun off my bald head and out of my eyes. And I’d forgotten mine in the pile of suitcases in the back of the car, which was also full of angry cats. I can only wear natural fabrics because I’m a dainty baby that’s allergic to polyester, so I can’t wear most baseball caps. I have a huge head, so most fitted and even most one-size hats can’t fit me. And I’m cheap, so I don’t want to pay like $40 for a hat. Also, I’m a weirdo, so a truck stop hat rack full of defunct XFL team caps and obscure minor league baseball teams? I’m sayin’ there’s a chance…

So I went to see what they had to offer in that department.

I went around the couple with hill people accents so thick they sounded like Chewbacca and found The Baltimore Oriole staring back at me. There was an Orioles cap. The tag was covered with old, crossed out price tags. “CLEARANCE.” It said. “SALE FINAL.” It said. This raised many questions, like “Truck stops put things on clearance?” And “Why is this so cheap?” and “Seriously, truck stops have clearance sales?”

I decided to investigate because buying a Baltimore Orioles cap on clearance at a truck stop is probably the best way to get one short of finding one in the trough in the men’s room (does Camden have troughs? I’ve never been, but spiritually, you know) or pulling one off a dead hobo. “Even so, there’s no way I can wear it…oh it’s 100% cotton,” I said. And then I knew I was going to have to try it on, because what are the chances? Basically nil. But I also knew in that moment…I was gonna have to buy it if it fit. I’d been watching all those Os games and obviously didn’t hate the Os like I (rightfully) hate the Red Sox, so it would be fine. And it wasn’t going to fit anyway…oh, it fit like it was made for me. Obviously, this was some manner of cursed object and this was Hillbilly Needful Things and I’d already made my terrible bargain.

Since that day, and I swear this is all true:
· The cats settled into the travel routine and quit trashing hotel rooms
· I actually had a nice little vacation and I think they did too since they didn’t trash the hotel room
· The apartment I leased sight unseen was actually there, livable, and pretty nice
· I like where I live (and I’d never been there)
· I bought a used car and it didn’t explode and the dealership didn’t screw me
· I like my new job and team

Things haven’t been perfect by any means, but things have gone incredibly well for a solo cross-country move with pets since I bought the dang Orioles cap in Hillbilly Needful Things.

And I know this is stupid but I’m also a baseball fan. I’m not superstitious but I am a little stitious. I can’t help but think…what if it’s my truck stop Orioles hat? “If you believe life is going well because you bought an Orioles cap in a cursed Virginia truck stop, then it is!” is what Crash Davis would say.

A few days ago, I jokingly said, “Christ, if they win the World Series, I’m going to have to give up on the Yankees entirely and just be an Orioles fan.” (Not a huge sacrifice after this season, admittedly).

And then yesterday, I had a doctor visit. I’m a type 2 diabetic. Or…I was.

“You’re not diabetic,” she said, “See your A1C? You’re in prediabetes, but only just.”

We’re adjusting my medication and keeping an eye on it but…can Orioles Magic cure Type 2 diabetes? At what price?!

I also noted that my diastolic blood pressure had been weirdly high. She agreed so whipped out the blood pressure cuff and took it herself.

“Oh, your blood pressure is perfect,” she said.

You’re telling me a 43-year-old man goes to his doctor and has perfect blood pressure and there isn’t dark Orioles Magic at work? I don’t believe you. The way things are going, I think I’m going to have to be an Orioles fan no matter what.

Let’s go Os, but at what cost?

Pic attached

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth (I put my actual name, not my posting name, obv., I'm a weirdo but not THAT BIG a weirdo).

P.S. If you guys have any sway with Joan Jett, please send her my email so we can get married, thank you.