Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

GoLambo posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion the IDF is gunna get loving rinsed if they counterattack. I don't think it's quite so clear that this is a futile expression of rage. Like, maybe these guys know what they're doing and have a plan to win? That this armed and well organized military organization isn't just acting on emotion?

They're going to bomb more apartments and maybe fire some artillery. If they go in to Gaza they might actually lose and they can't afford that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

the oracle told biden that if he sent arms to ukraine the occupation will fall

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

lmao

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Oglethorpe posted:

Palestine said no to the wall

Vote!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

GoLambo posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion the IDF is gunna get loving rinsed if they counterattack. I don't think it's quite so clear that this is a futile expression of rage. Like, maybe these guys know what they're doing and have a plan to win? That this armed and well organized military organization isn't just acting on emotion?

not in this matchup. IDF has a massive technological advantage. only hope is that it never comes into play

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

lets ask the taliban about technology

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mcmagic posted:

It's still going to be a few hundred guys fighting against an army with modern equipment. You take away the element of surprise and it will just become a slaughter.

If Hamas can fortify positions in settlements it's going to be interesting to see the Israeli response when the occupation forces start leveling those areas too

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

How do the Palestinians even produce rockets without a lengthy tender process?

/palestinian school teacher goes to his volunteer job after school and makes another 10 rockets from scrap before going home for the night

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

How do the Palestinians even produce rockets without a lengthy tender process?

It's a mystery.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

HallelujahLee posted:

https://twitter.com/ninabyzantina/status/1614388098384945152?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

surely it's not because reporters critical of Israel seem to end up with a bullet in their head

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Atrocious Joe posted:

If Hamas can fortify positions in settlements it's going to be interesting to see the Israeli response when the occupation forces start leveling those areas too

I don't think they have actually captured settlements... Just small army outposts.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Spergin Morlock posted:

whole lot of "new right" personalities pissing off their audiences today with unequivocal support of Israel lol

gonna be fun to see whos a true believer and whos a grifter.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

the oracle told biden that if he sent arms to ukraine the occupation will fall

lol

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

NeonPunk posted:

It's gonna be hilarious to find out that the Iron Dome failed because they intentionally put a limit stop on it because all of the resources needed to restock it is all going to Ukraine

!!!!!!!!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/hasbullahive/status/1710722836137148626?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

israel is doomed

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62I61kBahNY&t=261s

(start at 4:21 if the timestamp doesn't work)

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

toyota corolla really is the most versatile of cars

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

It's gonna be hilarious to find out that the Iron Dome failed because they intentionally put a limit stop on it because all of the resources needed to restock it is all going to Ukraine

AOC is going to be in deep poo poo trying to end it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mcmagic posted:

The performance of the IDF has been universally pathetic for at least 20 years now.

Since '73.

I've posted the studies about it in the Ukraine thread, and there are quite a few books about the IDF that cover this, but armies in prolonged occupations are not good at fighting wars. Conscript armies of occupation even less so, because in liberal societies they have to make soldiering as little an imposition as possible. It has to become a gap year rite of passage, rather than something you might actually die in, so risks have to be minimized as much as possible. Reason being that civil society wouldn't bear it and would quit the occupation.

So you have IDF Reservists fighting like wildcats in Golan and Sinai in 67 and those same reservists getting routed in 73 because by then their "job" was to hang out in the Bar Lev Line for a year before going to university, not something that felt like the defence of the nation. That has only picked up steam as the primary task of the IDF became kicking around Palestinians, not squaring off against the Egyptian and Syrian armies. Gilad Shalit and his patrol famously drove the same route every day and had their vehicles packed with clothes for vacation or whatever instead of ammunition.

Hell, through the Lone Soldier program, there are hundreds of Americans and Canadians in the IDF who are there as some sort of diaspora Zionist summer camp rite of passage but are not actually prepared to die for Israel. It's just another version of Birthright, this one leaning into the militarized image of Israel in the diaspora instead of the kibbutznik.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Oct 7, 2023

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

last time the IDF tried to walk into gaza they got rinsed. the IDF has terrible morale and very few of them are willing to die for this bullshit project, it's all fun and games when you're shooting teenagers armed with rocks but a whole different experience going up against a motivated enemy fighting for national liberation. lots of parallels to the tet offensive here

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

HallelujahLee posted:

Seriously. You would think more people would be getting the picture by now. There is much more to war than naked force, and regardless western militaries have shown themselves to be thin skinned and running through a field of rakes with their hubris.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

GoLambo posted:

The IDF is just going to shock and awe level the entire Strip it isn't going to be firefights through the streets where plucky upstarts win the day.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Thoguh posted:

The IDF is just going to shock and awe level the entire Strip it isn't going to be firefights through the streets where plucky upstarts win the day.

They will do that, but the fighters are outside the strip now in Israel proper.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

the bitcoin of weed posted:

last time the IDF tried to walk into gaza they got rinsed. the IDF has terrible morale and very few of them are willing to die for this bullshit project, it's all fun and games when you're shooting teenagers armed with rocks but a whole different experience going up against a motivated enemy fighting for national liberation. lots of parallels to the tet offensive here

I don't think they're going in to gaza. remains to be seen if they even take their own bases back first

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

GoLambo posted:

Seriously. You would think more people would be getting the picture by now. There is much more to war than naked force, and regardless western militaries have shown themselves to be thin skinned and running through a field of rakes with their hubris.

yeah technology alone doesnt win you anything hell see the war in yemen you dont even have to go back to afghanistan

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/DD_Geopolitics/status/1710627093225292144

:eyepop:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/1710724123855397171

like it's been for the past 100 years, the Jordanian monarchy is getting asked to help put the Palestinians down

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lmao

https://twitter.com/rtk_ng/status/1710628980821270929?s=20

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
I mean Israel has been threatening the Samson Option since 73. If they really do get to a point where they are getting washed to a point of no return and all rationality goes out the window who knows what will happen.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Sounds bad
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1710722138724844028

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

Disturbing bloodlust. The man has been dealing with the challenges of a normal heart recently.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/16/world/middleeast/israel-netanyahu-hospital.html

He got dehydrated from all the crying he was doing.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Thoguh posted:

The IDF is going to seriously measure their response because Iran can shock and awe Tel Aviv with cruise missiles just as easily and a serious provocation would absolutely bring Hezbollah into the conflict. They cannot actually act with impunity, and they won't, and that bought time can add up real fast.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Has Hamas made any demands?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/1710724123855397171

like it's been for the past 100 years, the Jordanian monarchy is getting asked to help put the Palestinians down

something tells me jordans military is an even bigger joke than israels

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Just got word from family in Tel Aviv, they are safe for now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Death By The Blues posted:

I mean Israel has been threatening the Samson Option since 73. If they really do get to a point where they are getting washed to a point of no return and all rationality goes out the window who knows what will happen.

I'd consider the Samson option as more of a possibility if other Arab nations intervene against Jordan. Their royal family is a thorn in the side of the Palestinians.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

William Bear posted:

:stare: The Times of Israel has a liveblog with a woman who lives in a settlement on the border with Gaza. She's locked in a saferoom in her house and hears Hamas outside.

https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/i-hear-massive-shooting-i-have-never-been-this-scared-in-my-life/

Movie pitch; a Palestinian family moves back into their old home, at first everything seems perfect but then strange things start happening. At first they think it’s nothing, then they think they got a ghost, but then it turns out there’s a Settler living in the walls!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

finger wagging loser talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/indianrightwing/status/1710541509635051669

Indian Right Wing Community