Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sekenr posted:

Jill usually only dates men for about 3 months :D and they don't want bother with a new dude every 3 months

Jill dates psychopaths who have stalked and damaged the parents house, but those psychopaths can usually only keep it together for 6-8 weeks, so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

artsy fartsy posted:

Am I an rear end in a top hat if I order a tomato at a bar

Depends, is there a guy playing Wonderwall you're gonna throw it at

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FMguru posted:

The real most important part is that she posted the recipe

:yum:

Huh. I have never seen canned whole cherry tomatoes. Must be a European thing.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Huh. I have never seen canned whole cherry tomatoes. Must be a European thing.

Amazon has you covered
https://www.amazon.com/canned-cherry-tomatoes/s?k=canned+cherry+tomatoes

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
AITA for ignoring my sisters after they weren't there in my time of need?

quote:

I (29F) won't say the diagnosis, but it causes me to be ill very often; it's a miracle if there's one week where I'm not sick. This diagnosis means I'm prone to getting ill and will often easily pick up whatever my work colleagues or anyone who is sick and is around me has. My immune system is weak, and whereas people are often told to rest and take paracetamol/ibuprofen, I have to go to my GP for solid antibiotics to fight this infection as my immune system can't. Although I have this diagnosis, I don't talk about it or complain and get on with the day.

Anyway, this is a recent issue. About three weeks ago, I became ill. This was the worst type of illness I experienced, and my doctor booked me in for a next-day appointment and diagnosed me with what she thought was the diagnosis and what she thought was the correct treatment. I came home and took the treatment but didn't feel better after a few days, so I called my doctor, who upped the dosage. Usually, although I'm ill, I'm alright on my own, but I just was so poorly I couldn't get out of bed for this illness. I asked my oldest sister if she could just come down and look after me for a few hours, and she said she couldn't, which I respected as she does have a one-year-old son now. I asked my middle sister, who's currently unemployed, and she just said no, and I'm not going to lie; I was pissed with her.

A few days later, I felt worse and decided to call the ambulance, and the paramedics said I developed sepsis. This was the scariest moment of my life as my mum passed away due to sepsis two years ago. I was so scared I couldn't stop crying, and the paramedic comforted me. We went to A&E, and they phoned my NOK, and my oldest sister, who is NOK, said she couldn't come down. My best friend, however, drove straight down from work to be with me.

Since then, I've fully recovered from sepsis but haven't recovered mentally, if I'm honest, and the thing is, what I find difficult is whenever my sisters are ill or need money, it's always me coming down to look after them even though I have a weak immune system. I always lend them money as I don't have financial circumstances. The only person here for me in my time of need is my best friend. I'm pissed and upset with my sisters for not being there, and I felt they would know what I would think due to what happened with mum.

I haven't spoken to my sisters since then, yet they still try to call me and text me but say I'm being an rear end in a top hat for being upset and ignoring them just because they weren't at the hospital. Certain family members have said I'm being childish and pathetic, and it's about time I grew up. I feel a bit guilty for not messaging my sisters, and I wonder if I'm the rear end in a top hat for being upset with them and taking it too far?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Legit you shouldn't bother staff over a lettuce and tomato. If you're spineless you just do nothing, if you've got a spine you pick the lettuce and tomato off. Getting staff involved is unhinged.

the gently caress is this take? unhinged really?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Legit you shouldn't bother staff over a lettuce and tomato. If you're spineless you just do nothing, if you've got a spine you pick the lettuce and tomato off. Getting staff involved is unhinged.

Some restaurants don't allow any order customizations, and that's ok. But if they do it seems reasonable to expect them to follow through?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

my (30f) husband (43m) got me a homer simpson sweatshirt from primark for my 30th birthday.

quote:

i turned 30 last friday. all my family and friends are in a different country as i moved here permanently after marrying my husband, so "special" days always feel a bit lonely to me. i also just had my first child at the end of july, so life has been chaos. i've been with my husband for four years, married for nearly two.

i've never been the type to make a big fuss about birthdays or holidays, but i suppose i felt like my 30th birthday was sort of a big one. money is tight so i was never expecting some grandiose gift, but he literally only got me a homer simpson sweatshirt from primark. it wasn't even wrapped or in a bag. he just sort of... handed it to me. there's no significance to the shirt either. no inside joke or anything like that.

we didn't do anything. there was no cake or anything special at all. i guess it just really hurt my feelings. his mom and stepdad's birthdays were both earlier the same month and we did more (financially and otherwise) for both of them than was done for me. and it's not like i did the whole "say i don't want anything while secretly hoping for something" thing.

i feel like, especially with my daughter having just arrived, a thoughtful gift would've been really simple this year. a printed out and framed photo of her and i, or something like that. it just felt so thoughtless. it even would've been nice if he'd just suggested we go out for a picnic.

i let him know it really hurt my feelings and that the whole thing felt like an afterthought. he seemed to feel bad about it, and i told him he could have a "re-do". it's been over a week now, though, and nothing has happened. i don't think it will.

my feelings are still really hurt and i feel resentful. how do i move past this? i feel like I have communicated my feelings about the situation several times. at this point, i don't want to keep hounding him about it because, frankly, the moment has kind of passed now.

tldr - i turned 30 and all my husband got me was a homer simpson sweatshirt.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
That one’s just depressing

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Khanstant posted:

I'd personally just pull it off, but there's absolutely nothing unreasonable about letting the staff know that they hosed up your order, this helps everyone involved (including the diner, the FoH, the kitchen, and the next person who might be allergic to tomatoes or whatever). Many restaurants actually pride themselves on serving food as-ordered and a burger is a super easy ticket to refire.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The Bramble posted:

my (30f) husband (43m) got me a homer simpson sweatshirt from primark for my 30th birthday.

For your husband's birthday give him a bowling ball with your name on it

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Some restaurants don't allow any order customizations, and that's ok. But if they do it seems reasonable to expect them to follow through?

Yeah if I say "no tomato" and the waitress writes down "no tomato" and it comes out with tomato then I am within my rights to send it back and get what I ordered. You don't have to be an rear end in a top hat about it, but it's not "unhinged" to get the food you ordered.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The Bramble posted:

i hope she posts a picture of the sweatshirt

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

i hope she posts a picture of the sweatshirt

only one I could find ... which honestly isn't terrible if it's not lacking context as a 30th birthday gift.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

the holy poopacy posted:

Something similar to this is why I immediately kicked every single person I knew in high school to the curb the second I got out. I ended up with complications from surgery during my graduation year, and not only did my "friends" kick me out of any grad related stuff, while I was hospitalized I begged them to come see me and only one did and it was obvious they didn't want to be there.

I have friends now that have shown up for me even when they didn't need to or I didn't ask. gently caress those sisters. Your best friend is your sister now.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

the holy poopacy posted:

I'm in a similar situation with my older brother. He only contacts me when he wants something, I last talked to him over the phone March of this year when I had to pester him for the rest of the loan I gave him back in March of 2020 and then I had to still send a Zelle request in June to get the rest of it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

BrigadierSensible posted:

And also refused to interact with another human to politely complain.

And other people are allowed to decide they want a partner with a spine

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

A tomato on a burger, I'd probably just remove it myself and not be too concerned. But I don't think it's unhinged to send it back. I just wouldn't do it. Now if it was something where you had the offending ingredient mixed into a pasta dish or something, then yeah I'd definitely either send it back or just eat it depending on how strong the preference is. "Hey, I'm sorry, I asked for this without tomato, can I get a new one?" is not being a Karen or whatever loser OP was afraid of.

Literally just not eating the burger but not doing or saying anything is pretty unhinged, though.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Everything in the kitchen is suffused in tomato essence anyway. Even if there is no visible tomato in your dish, homeopathy teaches us that this is actually worse.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AceClown posted:

the gently caress is this take? unhinged really?

Sorry, unhinged probably an extreme word here. I default to flashbacks to being a server when restaurant stories come up. The tension between not being able to say "okay really dude just like flop em off its a tomato why are you getting me involved how could life come to a point where a stranger is asking me to manage their tomato situation" and "having to smile be nice and act contrite because my job is to act subservient long enough to gamble on a few bucks the table will leave behind when I got to clean up their mess and If I don't do this enough today I won't be able to pay rent" gave me a weird emotional reaction to even simple requests that was logistically not able to be expressed. It's been several years, I no longer scan tables for refills and I mostly just ignore what everyone else at the table has ordered instead of try to remember it for no reason.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
if i order something and am brought a thing that isn't what i ordered i ain't paying for it

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for not yelling at the waitress

*reading the heading* Of course you're not! You should never be rude to wait staff!
*reading the story* Oh I see, no backbone to be found here! I mean, politely telling her that your burger was wrong? Heaven forbid.

It's weird, some people are so anti-confrontational that they'd rather not even politely ask for an order to be corrected. This has happened to me with two different friends.

One friend ordered a Dr. Pepper but received a Coke. She hates Coke but decided to just live with it rather than say anything to the waitress. On a separate occasion with a different friend, she placed an order for fries but the waitress forgot them. She was quite upset that she didn't get the fries but adamantly refused to say anything to the waitress about it.

Both times, I took it upon myself to politely ask the waitress to correct the orders and both friends were mortified that I did. They felt like doing so was rocking the boat or something. They were both much happier with their meals when they were corrected so I was baffled as to why they didn't want to say anything.

Neither waitress was bothered when I asked for the orders to be corrected. It happens all the time with service jobs and isn't a big deal.

Extreme passivity is odd.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I'm sure waitstaff are also plenty used to one person asking on behalf of someone else who won't do it themselves. So just help your friends out if they can't muster up the courage themselves and it doesn't bother you.

But I also can see why someone might find that kind of passivity unattractive in a potential partner if they don't want to be forced to always be the one speaking up.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Sorry, unhinged probably an extreme word here. I default to flashbacks to being a server when restaurant stories come up. The tension between not being able to say "okay really dude just like flop em off its a tomato why are you getting me involved how could life come to a point where a stranger is asking me to manage their tomato situation" and "having to smile be nice and act contrite because my job is to act subservient long enough to gamble on a few bucks the table will leave behind when I got to clean up their mess and If I don't do this enough today I won't be able to pay rent" gave me a weird emotional reaction to even simple requests that was logistically not able to be expressed. It's been several years, I no longer scan tables for refills and I mostly just ignore what everyone else at the table has ordered instead of try to remember it for no reason.

It’s not that big of a deal, someone involved in the process made a mistake and you were being asked to correct it as the customer facing end of that organization. It is not a personal attack, if the customer isn’t being an rear end just fill the order as requested and move on with your life?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
also if you do like a doordash type delivery and some of your order gets forgotten, when you ask for a refund or w/e you can also lie about one additional part of your order being wrong/missing for bonus credit

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I would simply not have an existential crisis when expected to do a very basic and foundational part of my job.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I've been served the wrong thing at a restaurant a couple of times and even though I'll make the wait staff aware I usually try whatever they gave me instead of sending it back. Who knows, I might like it.

That included a salad that came with choclolate sauce instead of dressing. I did end up sending that back after a few bites and got a new one.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Y'know what? If it's something that you asked to be excluded and you're allergic to then go your hardest and get them to remake the whole order. Fine. But throwing out an entire burger rather than just sliding a single tomato slice onto your plate is the most aggressively wasteful poo poo.

Whole bunch of people itt:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, that's just such a tiny thing, who cares. Chocolate syrup salad is the kind of restaurant fuckup I want to hear more about.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I assume my personal hell would just be a never ending double shift at jack allen's kitchen

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I can eat the arse out of a low flying duck but plenty of people have a pretty strong food aversion to raw tomato specifically, especially the juice.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's been a while since I came to this thread- where did the new title come from?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, that's just such a tiny thing, who cares. Chocolate syrup salad is the kind of restaurant fuckup I want to hear more about.

It was a salad that usually comes with jalapeno ranch dressing but came with a dark dressing instead. I also usually get the dressing on the side so my salad isn't drowned in dressing. I thought it was like a vinaigrette or something and wanted to see if that was better on a southwest salad. When I poured it on the salad it was clearly not much of a liquid and when I tried the sauce I realized it was chocolate. It was at a Rock Bottom I would go to a bunch and when I mentioned it to the bartender she was horrified and offered to get me a new one. I told her I wanted to try it first because who knows, it might be good.

It was not and I got a new one made. She kept on apologizing to me but I just laughed and told her its partly my fault too for just pouring it on top. She would tease me about it every now and then when I would come back.

I also left her the same tip as I usually do because it was an honest mistake and I do not gently caress with people's tips over mistakes.

Unless its crazy egregious, like when I went to a Dave and Buster's and I sat in a booth for 15-20 minutes without seeing a single waitress or even a bartender behind the bar. I even got up and looked around for an employee, any employee, and couldn't find one. I left a bad tip then.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

CommissarMega posted:

It's been a while since I came to this thread- where did the new title come from?

Forensic investigator wife mad at her husband for jerking off in the shower & https://youtube.com/watch?v=IYH7_GzP4Tg&si=Y4UK5JO9Dq9yHyLJ&t=0m30s

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

limp_cheese posted:

I've been served the wrong thing at a restaurant a couple of times and even though I'll make the wait staff aware I usually try whatever they gave me instead of sending it back. Who knows, I might like it.

That included a salad that came with choclolate sauce instead of dressing. I did end up sending that back after a few bites and got a new one.

Gah. Worst thing I got was when I ordered a pizza with tomatoes and bacon and through some weird fuckup got tuna with bacon.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for not yelling at the waitress

the waitress came around and asked us if we needed anything and i asked for ketchup.

Boy is op in for a rude awakening when he finds out what ketchup is made of.

I am fully aware ketchup is not actually the same thing as floppy, watery tomato (and that op was probably using it on his fries) and am merely having a laugh.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

only one I could find ... which honestly isn't terrible if it's not lacking context as a 30th birthday gift.

As someone who has the Adidas shoes with this on it as well as a pair of socks, I bet I could pull off that shirt too.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

Boy is op in for a rude awakening when he finds out what ketchup is made of.

I am fully aware ketchup is not actually the same thing as floppy, watery tomato (and that op was probably using it on his fries) and am merely having a laugh.

Well now I want an extended version of this story where OP asks the waitress for vinegar and tries to make his own ketchup while the date looks on horrified.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Well now I want an extended version of this story where OP asks the waitress for vinegar and tries to make his own ketchup while the date looks on horrified.

"Let me show you the real tomato flavor!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

With real tomato flavor?