Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Got an email that the Hiromi vinyl I pre-ordered has been pushed back a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I wish Zack Fox would put his Wood Tip EP on vinyl. :argh:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Free code for the new John Carpenter Anthologies II

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

dorium posted:

Free code for the new John Carpenter Anthologies II

drat my copy doesn't arrive til next week. Already listened to it on apple music and it's not as good as the first one but still pretty good because it's Carpenter and he rules.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

joylessdivision posted:

drat my copy doesn't arrive til next week. Already listened to it on apple music and it's not as good as the first one but still pretty good because it's Carpenter and he rules.

Yeah i got my copy from Sacred Bones last Friday. It's hard to beat an album full of main title themes and then get a bunch of genuine scene score tracks on a second album. It's just not gunna hit the same, but its still Carpenter so it aint bad.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

dorium posted:

Yeah i got my copy from Sacred Bones last Friday. It's hard to beat an album full of main title themes and then get a bunch of genuine scene score tracks on a second album. It's just not gunna hit the same, but its still Carpenter so it aint bad.

Yeah I ordered from them too, got the blue disc I think? All good, I've got that coming in soon, Gravediggaz, and the new Myrkur when that releases and eventually I'll get my Dethklok set....

Before I'm 90...maybe :corsair:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Heads up that I found Gravediggaz $29.65 and The Pod $35.94 over at Deep Discount. I spent too much money on records last month but these are two kinda essential albums for me. Argh.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I remember a long time ago... late ninety's or early 2000's I was sorta pursuing a music degree (focused on the production and business side) and one of the groups of classes was History of Pop Music. Started with folk music then jazz and finally rock. I remember a guy asking why there wasn't any hip hop near the end of the courses and the teacher was still in the mindset that rap was just a blip/fad.

The teacher was the head of the dept. and I still think about that poo poo to this day. I wonder if he ever changed his mind?

Jealous of people who get to go through the Africa Bambaataa collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyZTUoIzqmo

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

sporklift posted:

I remember a long time ago... late ninety's or early 2000's I was sorta pursuing a music degree (focused on the production and business side) and one of the groups of classes was History of Pop Music. Started with folk music then jazz and finally rock. I remember a guy asking why there wasn't any hip hop near the end of the courses and the teacher was still in the mindset that rap was just a blip/fad.

The teacher was the head of the dept. and I still think about that poo poo to this day. I wonder if he ever changed his mind?

Jealous of people who get to go through the Africa Bambaataa collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyZTUoIzqmo

The worst part is by the late 90s, hip hop has well established itself for close to 20 years in the pop music scene, and more like 30 as an overall movement. A fad would be more like the swing of revival of the late 90s.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Cemetry Gator posted:

The worst part is by the late 90s, hip hop has well established itself for close to 20 years in the pop music scene, and more like 30 as an overall movement. A fad would be more like the swing of revival of the late 90s.

Never ever underestimate stodgy white folks who refuse to see rap as anything beyond gangsta rap or the 80s rap scene. It's an argument I've given up having with my mother who stuanchly believes rap isn't music.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah. It was one thing for hip hop to be beyond the scope of the classes (The Jazz and Rock history classes both sort of ended in the 70's) but I remember him being kinda dismissive because they don't play instruments or something. One of the last records we listened to in the Jazz class was Headhunters and to not acknowledge the fact that Herbie Hancock played a pivotal role in history of a new genre was a pretty big omission. Like I said he was the head of the music dept, taught the guitar class and the performance band class so he was an old school rock and jazz guy. Not to say those classes weren't fun and informative otherwise. The dude rolled in a record player every day and for the most part played vinyl exclusively. I also had another teacher roll out the record player to play us his copy The Chambers Brothers "Time Has Come Today" for an American history class.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I took a History of Popular American Music class as my art elective (I can't tell you poo poo about time signatures or key changes, but dammit, I'll talk for hours about music history or various samples), and my favorite memory was when we covered bluegrass.

I'm a huge fan being from the South, but of course, a bunch of college kids in California don't give a poo poo and were mostly grimacing....except one dude in a group of stoners/metalheads/burnouts, etc. His eyes go wide, sits up straight, looks at his buddies, and goes "Dude, this is basically just speed metal being played on banjos and poo poo!!!" The teacher looked so drat pleased. :allears:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Yesss my Dethklok vinyl order finally shipped

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Everything gonna ship before my Art Devo box. :argh:

Also: Saw Ravenous on 35mm last night, still mad that they'll never untangle the rights for a vinyl reissue.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What's a good place to start with learning to service a table? I have a Pioneer PL-L800 with an automatic tracking arm that still works but has some difficulty sliding over to the record when I start it, jittering a bit, and once in a while it will actually overshoot the edge of the record and start halfway through the first song (but not always.) As well, it's been doing something lately where for the first part of the first song on a disc, the tone of the song will warp just a bit for a split second, be fine for a turn, then do it again. This seems to correct itself with some lubrication of the spindle and allowing it to run for a while, and it seems to happen primarily after I change the record speed and play a 45 RPM disc and switch back to 33.

For the most part the player works fine and it's actually quite good, but I'm afraid of it making GBS threads out on me eventually. It was an inheritance from an uncle who passed away and has been running like a champ for the last 15 years or so that I've had it.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I don't know when I ordered it but the Most Cursed Pressing of mclusky's classic album "mclusky Do Dallas" has finally arrived.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
How's it hanging vinyl thread? Are we all waiting for preorders, or have we all given up because prices are too high?

Yes I feel shame that I just preordered the Super Bomberman 1-5 comp from STS, why do you ask?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

How's it hanging vinyl thread? Are we all waiting for preorders, or have we all given up because prices are too high?

Yes I feel shame that I just preordered the Super Bomberman 1-5 comp from STS, why do you ask?

Just waiting for my $130 Devo box set to arrive that should have gotten here a month ago. :sigh:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

wa27 posted:

Just waiting for my $130 Devo box set to arrive that should have gotten here a month ago. :sigh:

Ah jeez, seems like everybody is getting a mixed bag when it comes to pre-ordering poo poo these days. Which is another bit of apphrension with pre-ordering Bomberman: it has a date of q1 2024 on it. But I haven't been screwed by STS so......

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Someday my Dethklok boxset will come....someday.....:negative:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
poo poo I was right, there is a lot of people in the thread waiting on preorders, could almost make a betting pool out of it.

In my only other vague vinyl related bit of news I cheated and listened to them on YouTube but I finally have heard a couple of Armand Schaubroeck records. I've mentally filed them in the same category as Evangelion: I'm glad the art exists and that I listened/watched it, but I don't ever wanna see it again.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I only buy garbage at thrift stores

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I ordered Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories off of Amazon this morning as that hit a new low price (and then there was a 20% off “coupon”). Brought it down to about $28.

My wife has The Gaslight Anthem’s new album on preorder in yellow, and I have Aesop Rock’s blinky new record on preorder. So a bit coming in to the IUG household.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Turbinosamente posted:

Given up

Just came in today, finally watched my Blu-ray of the film this past weekend and needed the soundtrack. Found this b*cht for $12.99 (13.70 with tax). Don't give me no poo poo just let me get some sick fukken tunes for a reasonable price!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Know I have the most recent Larry June and Alchemist, Drop Nineteens, Full of Hell and Nothing, and uhhhh more that I'm blanking on coming.

Hoping that Botch has some stuff at the show tonight. Probably will grab the most recent FACS LP there too.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

Ah jeez, seems like everybody is getting a mixed bag when it comes to pre-ordering poo poo these days. Which is another bit of apphrension with pre-ordering Bomberman: it has a date of q1 2024 on it. But I haven't been screwed by STS so......

Yeah I've been waiting on those tom waits remasters for a few months now but apart from that I haven't been compelled to pay the prices folks are asking nor have I had the chance to do a thrifting run

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Turbinosamente posted:

cash is a little tight right now, and shelf space is even worse, so I'm kinda thinking i should thin things out a little

idk how much I'll actually be able to cut down because whenever I'm in these situations, it mostly comes down to

"i would never get rid of this"
or
"if i get rid of this, this collection is one step closer to being really boring, because I'm kinda basic"

and it sucks, op

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Turbinosamente posted:

I've been slowing down lately, in part because I haven't been that impressed with the music releases this year compared to last year, and since I bought Attu by Sigur Ros for $45. The guy at the counter said that the record had been sitting there for a while and he was wondering who was going to buy it. He said that he would've ordered more, but Sigur Ros is pricing them quite high.

I was like, okay, I'm good for a while. Then I got a shipping notification, I had completely forgotten that months ago I preordered the reissue of Kveikur by Sigur Ros months ago. Then I remembered that I had also preordered the 20th anniversary of Michigan by Sufjan Stevens that should be shipping soon, a record that I do not need because I already own the standard edition. I of course also had preordered his latest, Javelin (beautiful album by the way, nothing groundbreaking for him, but a welcome addition to his vast catalog).

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah I've been waiting on those tom waits remasters for a few months now but apart from that I haven't been compelled to pay the prices folks are asking nor have I had the chance to do a thrifting run

I got my Tom Waits over the last couple weeks? I ordered the three I didn't have and they got shipped one at a time as they came out which was kind of weird.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I managed to grab a Hades box set from I am 8 bit today. I'm so excited! It's been my white whale.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Interesting how everybody is on the same page at the same time when it comes to collecting, mostly doing the rare pricey preorder and slowing the gently caress down on collecting. This kind of confluence happens in the retro game thread too.

hexwren posted:

cash is a little tight right now, and shelf space is even worse, so I'm kinda thinking i should thin things out a little

idk how much I'll actually be able to cut down because whenever I'm in these situations, it mostly comes down to

"i would never get rid of this"
or
"if i get rid of this, this collection is one step closer to being really boring, because I'm kinda basic"

and it sucks, op

I doubt you're that basic and like a quarter of my collection is video game music, hard to get more basic bitch than that. Could always do something like flip around each record you put back after playing, then reassess the ones you haven't flipped after like a year?

I'm cheating and listening to albums on YouTube while I work to see if I still like them enough to keep and slap them on the turn table. Most of my rejects thus far are my questionable thrift store purchases. I think Brass Contstruction is the next album to go for example. Speaking of, anybody got any better recs for up beat disco music that goes some where musically?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

sporklift posted:

I got my Tom Waits over the last couple weeks? I ordered the three I didn't have and they got shipped one at a time as they came out which was kind of weird.

Ah, thank you for mentioning that because it made me check the order status
looks like mine are in transit and they should finally arrive by next week

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got a $300 KGLW Red Rocks '22 12lp box that I'm hoping shows up within the next month or so. Also got two pre-orders out for their next studio album, one has extended cuts of all the tracks.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Interesting how everybody is on the same page at the same time when it comes to collecting, mostly doing the rare pricey preorder and slowing the gently caress down on collecting. This kind of confluence happens in the retro game thread too.

I doubt you're that basic and like a quarter of my collection is video game music, hard to get more basic bitch than that. Could always do something like flip around each record you put back after playing, then reassess the ones you haven't flipped after like a year?

I'm cheating and listening to albums on YouTube while I work to see if I still like them enough to keep and slap them on the turn table. Most of my rejects thus far are my questionable thrift store purchases. I think Brass Contstruction is the next album to go for example. Speaking of, anybody got any better recs for up beat disco music that goes some where musically?

Deodato?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Turbinosamente posted:

Which Brass Contstruction you getting rid of? Some recommendations, maybe more funk than disco? The line is blurry between those genres sometimes. Bohannon, Cerrone, Mandré

sporklift fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 14, 2023

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Picked up David Bowie ‘Heathen’, Gorillaz ‘Cracker Island’ and The White Stripes ‘De Stijl’ today. I was told by the woman at the counter that they were good rainy day records. It’s definitely a rainy day but I don’t see the connection myself.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Creature posted:

Picked up David Bowie ‘Heathen’, Gorillaz ‘Cracker Island’ and The White Stripes ‘De Stijl’ today. I was told by the woman at the counter that they were good rainy day records. It’s definitely a rainy day but I don’t see the connection myself.

She was making conversation with you.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

BigFactory posted:

She was making conversation with you.

I’m in Finland. This does not compute.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Creature posted:

Heathen is probably my favorite Bowie record. Gerry Leonard's guitar work is so goddamned beautiful and "5:15 The Angels Have Gone" and "Heathen (The Rays)" are some of the most melancholy beautiful songs he ever wrote.
loving love that album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Heathen is probably my favorite Bowie record. Gerry Leonard's guitar work is so goddamned beautiful and "5:15 The Angels Have Gone" and "Heathen (The Rays)" are some of the most melancholy beautiful songs he ever wrote.
loving love that album

Jordan Rudess plays keys on a few tracks too (blew my mind when I first found that out).