Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The reason Israel has leaned so hard in technology is directly related to what everyone else is saying, they are almost uniquely casualty intolerant.

It's not something they do because technology and firepower are so great, it is because of their own shortcomings. Israel has been criticized since 1973 for having low quality, low motivation infantry. Since 1967 at the latest, the tank corps and Air Force were greatly privileged and were given most of the resources and best incoming drafts and volunteers. The corresponding lack of funding, training and high quality recruits severely hurt the Infantry Corps, which atrophied tactically. Their purpose became following in the wake of the airstrikes and tanks. Add to this the Political aspects of Israeli casualty aversion, where the lives of their soldiers took on outside importance as they saw themselves in some sort of population race.

In 1973, those changes meant that in most tactical actions the infantry would hang back while Israeli tanks shot the Syrians off their positions, and in the Sinai front they barely closed with Egyptian infantry at all if they could help it. Where they couldn't, like when the Egyptians crossed the canal, or in the fighting on the Golan Heights where the Air Force and tanks couldn't do most of the fighting, the Israeli Army had an extremely bad time, and things were far more closely run than many people remember. There are more than a few accounts of Israeli Reservists in the Golan refusing to advance if there were any signs of life from the Syrian lines.

That was the IDF at its apogee, what do you think it's like now?

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:42 on Oct 7, 2023

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

lol didnt that loser weimar joe crow about re-rapprochement between saudi arabia and israel

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

MBS do your thing

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/miakhalifa/status/1710641662068670834?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

my favourite actress has more dignity than all arab governments put together

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Gripweed posted:

Movie pitch; a Palestinian family moves back into their old home, at first everything seems perfect but then strange things start happening. At first they think it’s nothing, then they think they got a ghost, but then it turns out there’s a Settler living in the walls!

This is just Dune.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

dont get your hopes up the saudi government is readying their finest kneepads and lipstick for israel and this war wont change their mind

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

i think this time hamas (et al?) is prepared for a ground invasion. if they're lucky they identified the areas of interest israel will attemp to take first and planned ahead

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

GoLambo posted:

The IDF is going to seriously measure their response because Iran can shock and awe Tel Aviv with cruise missiles just as easily and a serious provocation would absolutely bring Hezbollah into the conflict. They cannot actually act with impunity, and they won't, and that bought time can add up real fast.

Counterpoint: The Israeli state is incredibly dumb and wants to do genocide.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

dont get your hopes up the saudi government is readying their finest kneepads and lipstick for israel and this war wont change their mind

IDK, they've been pretty chummy with China for a while now.....

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

quote:

Everything happening right now.

Orange Devil posted:

This is just Dune.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Lol how about that normalisation

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol i wonder if the israel/saudi deal is gonna tank from this

DarkSithLord
Apr 14, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Lmao hell yeah

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

GoLambo posted:

Seriously. You would think more people would be getting the picture by now. There is much more to war than naked force, and regardless western militaries have shown themselves to be thin skinned and running through a field of rakes with their hubris.

this is true but Afghanistan and Gaza are not comparable settings.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The only good infantry in the Israeli Army for a long time has been the airborne, and even then they spend most of their time playing 1st Battalion, Parachute Regiment in Ireland.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

and, further, lmao

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

just got a personal phone call from Joe Biden to go support Israel

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

guys please dont believe the saudi statement they are 100% gonna normalize when things calm down and if america agrees to a security pact and nuclear energy program

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

The only good infantry in the Israeli Army for a long time has been the airborne, and even then they spend most of their time playing 1st Battalion, Parachute Regiment in Ireland.

They get a lot of golfing in.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

given the timing that very well might be one of the political objectives for hamas

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Al-Saqr posted:

guys please dont believe the saudi statement they are 100% gonna normalize when things calm down and if america agrees to a security pact and nuclear energy program

Yeah it's just lip service because their street supports Palestinians but they aren't going to do anything differently.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Nice try, you're not getting me to log back on Twitter to see if the report button actually does anything this time.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/hasanthehun/status/1710726262535389263?s=20

Fuck You And Diebold has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Oct 7, 2023

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

the ohio state solution

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gixYhd8pjhw

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

holy poo poo haha

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

from Bloomberg's Javier Blas, energy columnist about 5 hours ago:

"The Saudi-Israeli diplomatic deal, which many had penciled in for early-to-mid 2024, is a casualty. Even if Riyadh is likely furious with Hamas, it’s difficult to see how Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman would be able to sell the deal domestically. That, in turn, removes the potential for Saudi Arabia pumping more oil to help passage of the deal in Washington. The other victim of the Hamas-Isaeli war is the Saudi-Iranian rapprochement, which itself was another bearish element for oil."

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

mdemone posted:

this is true but Afghanistan and Gaza are not comparable settings.

Yeah, Gaza is in a much, much better position to directly attack their enemies infrastructure, place immense pressure on their civilians and even leverage neighboring allies to their cause.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Fascist Hindutva stan other fellow fascists (Revisionist Zionists), news at a11.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

webcams for christ posted:

"The Saudi-Israeli diplomatic deal, which many had penciled in for early-to-mid 2024, is a casualty. Even if Riyadh is likely furious with Hamas, it’s difficult to see how Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman would be able to sell the deal domestically. That, in turn, removes the potential for Saudi Arabia pumping more oil to help passage of the deal in Washington. The other victim of the Hamas-Isaeli war is the Saudi-Iranian rapprochement, which itself was another bearish element for oil."

lol why would saudi-iran relations suffer at all over this

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Sleepy Joe is going to bring peace by putting all the combatants to sleep

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1710667423257428161?s=20

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

heading to Gaza now to fight for my beliefs

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

GoLambo posted:

Yeah, Gaza is in a much, much better position to directly attack their enemies infrastructure, place immense pressure on their civilians and even leverage neighboring allies to their cause.

I agree. I think maybe we are not disagreeing after all.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

this mother fucker thought there was a literal bridge from gaza to the west bank!!!

https://twitter.com/zackbeauchamp/status/1710641653965357420

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the bombing of civilian infrastructure in Gaza has begun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

webcams for christ posted:

why would this hurt the Iran Saudi deal?if anything this will make Riyadh kiss up to Qom more