Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Metis of the Hallway posted:

I'm also a non-book reader and I honestly think a lot of this stuff is actually very clear. The bolded in particular is pretty directly stated in the show: Lanfear is the least dangerous and most predictable of the Forsaken. She was friends with Ishamael and Lews Therin, so Ishamael thinks he understands her motivations and can work with her the most effectively out of all the Forsaken. It's a given, then, that the rest of the Forsaken are far, far worse than Lanfear and Ishamael deliberately did not awaken them yet because they would be harder to control.

I don't think this show is perfect or anything, but I have a fairly good understanding of the stakes and characters. Oh, except the Whitecloaks. I've forgotten everything about them from the first season. They're men who hate witches, is basically all I remember.
Wait didn't Moiraine literally say when the Lanfear reveal happened, that she is the most dangerous and cruel of the Forsaken or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

El Grillo posted:

Wait didn't Moiraine literally say when the Lanfear reveal happened, that she is the most dangerous and cruel of the Forsaken or something

Least dangerous to Ishmael.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Egwene using the collar as not a weapon makes sense to me. She had already figured out how it works so she knew it wouldn’t cause physical harm or hurt. Not to mention they said a few episodes that the thing wants to be out on a woman. It’s a ter’angeral with a specific purpose. It doesn’t need anything special to work, just hold it up to a neck. Egwene didn’t have to make contact with Renna, just get it close enough and it will spring open and do it’s thing.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Whether or not it can be like, fantasy-logic-justified is far besides the point. If it's a matter of "the collar doesn't see itself as a weapon," then I think it undermines some really good writing the show did (particularly episode 6) by making the answer to the collar and bracelet a loophole. If it's a matter of "Egwene didn't see it as a weapon," that's an absolutely wild character development that warrants more exploration on-screen than it was given and doesn't seem to line up with what happens immediately after.

And in either event, I think making slavery (and like, they chose to depict enslaved black women suffering violence on-screen, lol, this is not just magic fantasy slavery) into something that can be "beaten" individualistically just kinda sucks for lots of reasons. Even looking at just how it impacts the show, it turns everything nynaeve and elayne did in the back half of the season into a dead end and waste of time from the finale's point of view and imo makes the Ryma stuff retrospectively kinda distasteful.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Valentin posted:

Whether or not it can be like, fantasy-logic-justified is far besides the point. If it's a matter of "the collar doesn't see itself as a weapon," then I think it undermines some really good writing the show did (particularly episode 6) by making the answer to the collar and bracelet a loophole. If it's a matter of "Egwene didn't see it as a weapon," that's an absolutely wild character development that warrants more exploration on-screen than it was given and doesn't seem to line up with what happens immediately after.

And in either event, I think making slavery (and like, they chose to depict enslaved black women suffering violence on-screen, lol, this is not just magic fantasy slavery) into something that can be "beaten" individualistically just kinda sucks for lots of reasons. Even looking at just how it impacts the show, it turns everything nynaeve and elayne did in the back half of the season into a dead end and waste of time from the finale's point of view and imo makes the Ryma stuff retrospectively kinda distasteful.

These are fair points but a modern television audience simply will not accept a heroine not saving herself. Even if that makes the writing shallower or more simplistic overall, you just aren't going to have a television show where a heroine is abused to any significant degree and then just gets saved by outside forces other than her own agency. It would make large portions of the audience stop watching the show entirely.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Valentin posted:

Egwene's Individualistic defeat of slavery wasn't escaping the collar. It was being ready to pay any price to not be made to kill people for her enslavers.

Her escape was an effort by herself, but capitalizing on events that were not caused by her. Without the white cloaks trebuchetting the tower, she wasn't going to escape the collar.

These are two separate things.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Morrow posted:

Based on what he and Lanfear said in this episode, his plan was to convince Rand to turn evil by turning his friends evil first. Ishamael wants to destroy the world by helping the Dark One win and a guaranteed way to do that was to turn the Dragon to the shadow. Egwene had been captured and was ideally going to be tortured into a weapon of war, Matt was being given lots of drugs and left alone with an evil dagger, and Perrin kind of escaped before he could do more than some small mind games.

What Lanfear did is teleport Rand there before he was really ready so he fell on his backup plan of just killing the Dragon. Which Lanfear also ruined. So he died, but not before his backup backup plan of releasing the other Forsaken. Actually dying is a bit of a consolation prize for him since last time around the Dragon refused to kill him.

Thanks, that clears up a lot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

These are fair points but a modern television audience simply will not accept a heroine not saving herself. Even if that makes the writing shallower or more simplistic overall, you just aren't going to have a television show where a heroine is abused to any significant degree and then just gets saved by outside forces other than her own agency. It would make large portions of the audience stop watching the show entirely.

To that point, I made the mistake of going on Reddit last night and seeing what people were saying about the finale there's a large swath of people who are so mad about it they've convinced themselves that Egwene was the one who defeated Ishamael too instead of Rand. That's like beyond media illiteracy, that's full on loving mass psychosis. Like, criticism the show all you want, but criticize it for things it actually did instead of the poo poo you imagined that it did somehow. Jesus :rolleyes:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nine-gear crow posted:

To that point, I made the mistake of going on Reddit last night and seeing what people were saying about the finale there's a large swath of people who are so mad about it they've convinced themselves that Egwene was the one who defeated Ishamael too instead of Rand. That's like beyond media illiteracy, that's full on loving mass psychosis. Like, criticism the show all you want, but criticize it for things it actually did instead of the poo poo you imagined that it did somehow. Jesus :rolleyes:

Careful where you go. r/whitecloaks got shut down for racism and the various wheel of time subreddits have splintered, so there's r/wot, r/wotshow, r/wetlanderhumor vs r/aielhumor, etc.

A great deal of the internet these days reminds me of this passage in The Magician's Nephew

quote:

When the great moment came and the Beasts spoke, he missed the whole point; for a rather interesting reason. When the Lion had first begun singing, long ago when it was still quite dark, he had realized that the noise was a song. And he had disliked the song very much. It made him think and feel things he did not want to think and feel. Then, when the sun rose and he saw that the singer was a lion (‘only a lion,’ as he said to himself) he tried his hardest to make believe that it wasn’t singing and never had been singing—only roaring as any lion might in a zoo in our own world. ‘Of course it can’t really have been singing,’ he thought, ‘I must have imagined it. I’ve been letting my nerves get out of order. Who ever heard of a lion singing?’ And the longer and more beautiful the Lion sang, the harder Uncle Andrew tried to make himself believe that he could hear nothing but roaring. Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. Uncle Andrew did. He soon did hear nothing but roaring in Aslan’s song. Soon he couldn’t have heard anything else even if he had wanted to. And when at last the Lion spoke and said, ‘Narnia awake,’ he didn’t hear any words: he heard only a snarl. And when the Beasts spoke in answer, he heard only barkings, growlings, bayings, and howlings. And when they laughed—well, you can imagine. That was worse for Uncle Andrew than anything that had happened yet. Such a horrid, bloodthirsty din of hungry and angry brutes he had never heard in his life. Then, to his utter rage and horror, he saw the other three humans actually walking out into the open to meet the animals.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 7, 2023

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

nine-gear crow posted:

haha, they showed her making the shield! It was impressive, but she didn't stab him through the heart

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

r/whitecloaks got shut down for racism

:thunk:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Careful where you go. r/whitecloaks got shut down for racism and the various wheel of time subreddits have splintered, so there's r/wot, r/wotshow, r/wetlanderhumor vs r/aielhumor, etc.

A great deal of the internet these days reminds me of this passage in The Magician's Nephew

This was in straight up top level r/television :negative:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If you want to be able to have conversations about the show on reddit with people who usually have object permanence you're going to have a better chance on WoTshow.

It's still reddit so it's still not great, but your chances are better there.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Valentin posted:

Slavery as a system cannot be beaten by individual efforts, but I think individuals like Frederick Douglass and Harriet Tubman very much made the argument that slaves often could and did 'beat' their masters by fleeing to the North and/or Canada. The fact that every slave did not have the ability or agency to do so does not take away from the heroism and courage of those that did. Egwene was not fighting the whole Seanchan system, she was fighting against Renna, and circumstances provided her the opportunity to turn the tables on her enslaver and escape. Egwene managed to free herself, something that many slaves throughout history have done, many at great cost to themselves.

And yes what happened to Ryma was distasteful, the Seanchan are the bad guys.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

As a non book reader, I feel like the Forsaken's motivations isn't altogether clear. Does anyone else feel this way? As in, it seems like the show hasn't really explained what is so bad if the wheel breaks. Isn't having the same poo poo happen over and over again not good, i.e. ishamael is right? It seems like the bad people are bad because they murder people, not because of their grand scheme. I dunno, maybe I'm forgetting some stuff that happened in the first season that explained it.

e:nm the person below me explained that the dark one winning would destroy everything, I guess thats bad

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 7, 2023

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

sweet geek swag posted:

And yes what happened to Ryma was distasteful, the Seanchan are the bad guys.

I’m going to pick at one word here. The Seanchan have said that their goal is to unite the world under the banner of the light. While there might be Darkfriends in their number, we’ve seen the same be true of Aes Sedai, Whitecloaks, and even Tinkers (thinking back to S2E1’s opening and trying to remember the various people around the table). As a geopolitical entity the Seanchan do not serve the Dark One—if you’re willing to trust what they say. The Whitecloaks also claim to want to serve the light, but they have very different ideas about what that means than Egwene and Perrin do.

If you’re willing to believe the various characters when they state their goals, there are a lot of people who think of themselves as good, but do monstrous things in the name of achieving their goals. But none of them are (so far as we’ve seen) the bad guy: the Dark One whose victory over the Dragon Reborn would mean an end to all creation.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

As a non book reader, I feel like the Forsaken's motivations isn't altogether clear. Does anyone else feel this way? As in, it seems like the show hasn't really explained what is so bad if the wheel breaks. Isn't having the same poo poo happen over and over again not good, i.e. ishamael is right? It seems like the bad people are bad because they murder people, not because of their grand scheme. I dunno, maybe I'm forgetting some stuff that happened in the first season that explained it.

e:nm the person below me explained that the dark one winning would destroy everything, I guess thats bad

Got a darkfriend over here boys

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Also it's broken down really well in the cold open to the finale.

Ishy: "Everyone suffers we should break the wheel"
Lews: "Then everyone would die"

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CainFortea posted:

Also it's broken down really well in the cold open to the finale.

Ishy: "Everyone suffers we should break the wheel"
Lews: "Then everyone would die"

Oh yeah i guess. I kinda took that to mean peoples souls would die (and not be reborn), but I suppose it means that everyone flat out dies?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh yeah i guess. I kinda took that to mean peoples souls would die (and not be reborn), but I suppose it means that everyone flat out dies?

Yup. Even back in S1 with Dana the Innkeeper Darkfriend explaining how being reborn sucks.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Finale definitely had its weaknesses -- I appreciated why they had to skip over the recovery of the Horn, but leaving that entirely to a throwaway line about "a woman from Cairhien" left me disappointed.

I do have to point out that Lan blatantly states that there are soldiers on the cliffs and poo poo when he and Moiraine are going after the boats, so all of you wondering where the soldiers even came from should at least consider that as some attempt at justification for the awkwardness of that scene. Did it still look kinda dumb and contrived? Yes, but at least they tried to give it some kind of explanation.

I agree that the Nynaeve and Elayne moment went on for too long, and cutting back to it over and over was...silly?? I feel like Nynaeve should have fallen instinctively onto her Wisdom training when she realized she was struggling to use the Source. It's such a defining aspect of her character! Why does it require some outsider to remind her of that whenever she's constantly referred to as Wisdom? She obviously has very strong feelings about her role in Two Rivers. It's come up a couple of times that she feels obligated to go back to Two Rivers and help her people because her departure has possibly left them in the hands of a sub-par drunk. So, idk, that didn't sit completely right with me I guess. It's possible her traumatic experience in the whole alternate reality thing was part of it, idk.

Interesting explanations in prior posts for Ishamael's odd behavior/uncharacteristic engagement of The Heroes at the end. I can accept the reasoning that he just kinda committed suicide by not putting up much of a fight. He seemed very content at the end. I'm happy for him. See you next turn of the Wheel, Ishy!

That's enough negativity, though. You know what I DID like a hell of a lot? Egwene. Egwene is an incredibly powerful person it seems, and I don't mean that strictly in the sense that she's got big Source energy. She's driven, willful, stubborn, strong, and refuses to break no matter what horror she experiences. Through all of that she maintains compassion for others which is really, really impressive. I thought her slavery arc was pretty brutal but that it was the sort of experience that, like...forged her into the person that other people believed she's always been. She turned that horror into power. To me it makes a lot of sense that she would be at her peak on top of that tower, especially when it comes to the confrontation with Renna. She endured SO MUCH, and it became her fuel. I loved, LOVED seeing her outlast Renna's death. That look on her face the whole time...man. Egwene loving rules.

I was kind of cheering for the Whitecloaks until I remembered how awful they can actually be and that was a weird feeling to work through as a fan. Seeing them gently caress up the Seanchan was awesome. I liked Whitecloak Dad (sorry, forget his name) because he actually wanted to do poo poo for the people immediately harmed by the Seanchan's invasion. gently caress HIM for making cry over Hopper, though. gently caress!!

Overall I thought the finale did the best that it could with the resources it was given. I super, super agree that the season -- while overall SO MUCH BETTER and SO MUCH MORE ENGAGING than season one -- really needed a couple of more episodes. I can't blame that on the showrunners since they're doing the best with what they've got, and I've really liked the results thus far, sooo...give them more episodes so things are even better.

also gently caress poo poo the costumes are so loving good what the gently caress

No real spoilers in this video unless you just haven't watched Season Two at all (though there is plenty of discussion about how descriptions from the book really guided the design work):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYS1P6Z74rY

She'll also be doing the S3 costume design.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 8, 2023

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

my cat is norris posted:

I do have to point out that Lan blatantly states that there are soldiers on the cliffs and poo poo when he and Moiraine are going after the boats, so all of you wondering where the soldiers even came from should at least consider that as some attempt at justification for the awkwardness of that scene. Did it still look kinda dumb and contrived? Yes, but at least they tried to give it some kind of explanation.

yeah this has seemed like a silly thing to get mad at. it's not like the show went out of its way to make it a super realistic military engagement, but an occupying army is going to have outriders and patrols making sure people don't sneak around their flanks.

a squad of 10-20 guys catching them and immediately trying to respond -- as, after all, they can't just call for help and they've found an enemy wizard and her bodyguard snuck into their territory and doing aggressive tai chi in the direction of their ships -- seems reasonable. maybe it'd be more realistic if they were cavalry or something but i'll write it off to the Seanchan having to cross an ocean

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 8, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I literally don't care, I just like seeing Lan stab the mans

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I think he's one of the best fighters on the series. It's fun to watch him. That arrow snatch ruled.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

my cat is norris posted:

I think he's one of the best fighters on the series. It's fun to watch him. That arrow snatch ruled.

He should not have been able to do that, I'm pretty sure he canonically doesn't have levels in monk, and warders don't get arrow catch.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

eke out posted:

an occupying army is going to have outriders and patrols making sure people don't sneak around their flanks.

Turak: I saw an omen this morning. Make sure your patrol takes extra care today, Captain.

*30 minutes later, just outside the gates*

Soldier: Every day we march around this dusty plain, and the worst we ever find is a caravan of those ugly humped beasts that like to spit at us. All these merchants with their fancy accents swore the oaths days ago when passing through the surrounding towns. Captain, can we instead patrol the beach? The air is cooler, and perhaps we will find a single young child to murder, as one does.

Captain: Or perhaps a pretty fishwife to enslave, eh? I like your thinking. Beach it is.

*30 minutes later, also just outside the gates*

Guard 1: What’s with all this sudden smoke?

Guard 2: I’m sure it’s nothing. The patrol on the plains would have warned us of anything dangerous headed this way.

Guard 1: You’re right. Let’s just leave the gate open.

its HIM fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 8, 2023

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Really enjoyed the season finale and the season as a whole. My hope for season 3 is that they finally do something about Loial's hair.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

NinjaDebugger posted:

He should not have been able to do that, I'm pretty sure he canonically doesn't have levels in monk, and warders don't get arrow catch.

*frantically flipping through my 3rd Edition Wheel of Time Player's Handbook for the Warder Prestige Class*

No, they do not.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Devorum posted:

*frantically flipping through my 3rd Edition Wheel of Time Player's Handbook for the Warder Prestige Class*

No, they do not.

Yup, and Lan specifically is a Borderlander Armsman 10 / Warder 4 / Blademaster 2.

Presumably for the show they let him respec and he splashed some monk levels for the increased AC.

(FYI: the WoT RPG book is fairly valuable now -- copies tend to sell for around $100 to $200).

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I binged all the episodes and I can't really remember much of them except that the sound effects for the Seanchan fingernails were pitch perfect dumb. Looking forward to season 3.

Edit: someone please make a supercut of all the nail action

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's like how in every movie where people point guns at each other, every one-handed movement of the gun makes a "racking" sound

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I love me a good Indiana Jones reference.

Gonna be a long wait for season 3.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Bongo Bill posted:

I love me a good Indiana Jones reference.

Gonna be a long wait for season 3.

Yeah the strikes are going to make the wait extra long. Trying to keep people hooked if there’s over two years between seasons is rough.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Yup, and Lan specifically is a Borderlander Armsman 10 / Warder 4 / Blademaster 2.

Presumably for the show they let him respec and he splashed some monk levels for the increased AC.

(FYI: the WoT RPG book is fairly valuable now -- copies tend to sell for around $100 to $200).

I got a copy signed by Jordan when it first came out. So many cool illustrations in that thing. I really regret losing it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Liked Moghedien. Great casting. We thought the flaming dragon thingy was goofy but eh it gets the job done. I don't mind watching more actually, it's less of an effort than rereading the books lol. Lanfear is our favorite character still, just an agent of chaos.

Moiraine being able to attack the ship with people in it was probably just her justifying it as "what if we make a sick flame torpedo and point it at something"

Meanwhile my friend who read all the books is malding at every turn and I hope he keeps hate-watching the show.

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 9, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lily Catts posted:

Meanwhile my friend who read all the books is malding at every turn and I hope he keeps hate-watching the show.

I legitimately feel bad for people like this that they can't just enjoy good things on their own lol.

I've probably reread the series at least 6? times and getting to see another new take on it is incredibly exciting. Plus getting a performance like we've seen for Lanfear just cements that character even better in my head.

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

Gwaihir posted:

I legitimately feel bad for people like this that they can't just enjoy good things on their own lol.

I've probably reread the series at least 6? times and getting to see another new take on it is incredibly exciting. Plus getting a performance like we've seen for Lanfear just cements that character even better in my head.

Plus, like . .. . the books are still there. Nothing on the screen changes them in any way. The absolute worst case here is that Amazon spends a bajillion dollars advertising the books.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, fidelity criticism sucks. It's all just adaptation anyway, the TV show, each version in each reader's head... even the original text is just an adaptation of what the author was thinking about, it's not a 1:1 translation. It's all adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Of all the series to get pissy about canon, the wheel of time might be the funniest. It's literally named after the... theology? that everything keeps happening in cycles but different