Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

(and being extremely unchill to a lot of wasteland girls)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tetsuo was not a great dude, no.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Men will literally rule as a telekinetic god before going to therapy.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Darth Walrus posted:

That's who all those villainess isekais are for. Or, much older, The Twelve Kingdoms, which is apparently a very good fantasy drama, and Magic Knight Rayearth, which is apparently a very good magical girl mecha show.

rayearth has a lotta charm to it but still runs into that 90s magical girl issue of the mc pining for a dude like a decade her senior and that affection ending up returned

banger theme song tho

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

rayearth has a lotta charm to it but still runs into that 90s magical girl issue of the mc pining for a dude like a decade her senior and that affection ending up returned

banger theme song tho

That's the CLAMP experience, really.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

That's the CLAMP experience, really.

it really is, drat

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I wish dr Stone was airing

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They started producing the Akira movie before the manga was even completed, so it's incredible that they were able to take so many elements from an unfinished work and condense it down into a coherent narrative.

Probably helps that the manga author also directed the movie.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So whats good so far this season?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
frieren

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

if they don't make land of the lustrous season 2 soon im gonna go loving berserk

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

KomradeX posted:

So whats good so far this season?

Castlevania might be

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

wolfs posted:

goblin slayer is getting a season 2 huh

besides the goblin rape what’s up with that show

i got recommended goblin slayer as a berserk-like manga and uhh, suffice to say there is a lot of goblin rape, i didnt get very far

but there was also an odd amount of good stuff, like its basically a gag manga where the main character is this stoic guy in an RPG universe who farms level 1 goblins so everyone underestimates him but it turns out the goblins are actually a huge threat (and rapists ofc) so its a bit like one punch man where everyone is always underestimating him, except unlike saitama he's very serious and hypercompetent but its played for laughs

he's basically the dark souls main character in a lighter jrpg universe and the crew had pretty fun chemistry.
though nothing beyond a decent shonen or anything
then the goblins will gratuitously rape all the women
its very anime

it would all be improved without the rapes.
it reminds me a bit of Crossed where the authors were like "yeah the zombies are rapists but its only to set the stakes higher than normal to drive the character drama" except, doubley so in GS, its clearly not only for that

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

euphronius posted:

my 9 yo kid wants to watch One Piece

is there any weird anime stuff in it

theres a guy made out of rubber and a guy who fights with three swords (he holds the third sword in his mouth)

also you should show your kid gundam wing

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

pillsburysoldier posted:

Castlevania might be

I didnt finish the last season or two of that is it worth going back to? Or just start the new one?

Akaiku
May 17, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nobody but me rememebrs Escaflowne, where a girl goes to the secret second Moon where the Atlanteans hosed of.

I remember it because it had the least satisfying ending of any that I had watched up to that point.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

KomradeX posted:

I didnt finish the last season or two of that is it worth going back to? Or just start the new one?

all the castlevania that’s been made so far is worth watching.

the last season featured a lot of Le Comte de Saint Germain and it’s great.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

all the castlevania that’s been made so far is worth watching.

the last season featured a lot of Le Comte de Saint Germain and it’s great.

Well guess I have to do that

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Whirling posted:

if they don't make land of the lustrous season 2 soon im gonna go loving berserk

read the comic!!

it's very good

Akaiku posted:

I remember it because it had the least satisfying ending of any that I had watched up to that point.

t:mad:

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Doc Hawkins posted:

read the comic!!

it's very good

I already have, this is why I'm gonna go mad if its not out by the end of 2024

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think you’re confused about the events of the manga. a UN peacekeeping force shows up at the very end and all the surviving cast tell them to gently caress off.

it’s been over a decade since I’ve read it so maybe I’m confused.

Nah, pretty sure the Americans also show up and bring a bigger space laser

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nobody but me rememebrs Escaflowne, where a girl goes to the secret second Moon where the Atlanteans hosed of.

I do. I feel like that one isn't that obscure. I think they even played it on one of our local stations when I was a kid.

Doc Hawkins posted:

read the comic!!

it's very good

t:mad:

It is.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

genericnick posted:

I do. I feel like that one isn't that obscure. I think they even played it on one of our local stations when I was a kid.

I think Escaflowne fell into the same memory hole as Inuyasha

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I like dungeon meshi

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I think Escaflowne fell into the same memory hole as Inuyasha

inuyasha is famous as gently caress tho? it even had a kinda sorta sequel thing recently

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Truga posted:

inuyasha is famous as gently caress tho? it even had a kinda sorta sequel thing recently

That might be a euro/dollar divide. Escaflowne is also comparatively well known over here. It was on TV when there was only Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon otherwise.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i haven't seen any animes on tv except 1-2 stray episodes of dragonball someone accidentally licensed lol

e: wait no, i did watch a bunch of wizard of oz and maya bee as a kid but those are very much kid shows

Truga has issued a correction as of 12:21 on Oct 6, 2023

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
maaan, feels like mappa going from a cool studio with cool projects and adaptations of mainstream manga to just a fodder shounen dump happened in a snap

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Whirling posted:

I already have, this is why I'm gonna go mad if its not out by the end of 2024

may you be freed from your suffering 🙏

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Men will literally rule as a telekinetic god before going to therapy.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

drat dungeon meshi really gets into it. love this for me. I wonder if the catgirl was a suggestion by the editor once it blew up heh.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

net work error posted:

There is no good isekai

Juuni Kokuki/Twelve Kingdoms was alright. Better than Escaflowne, anyway.

Now and Then, Here and There also previously mentioned except like 90% of anime the characters are 6 years too young and it ends up being about child abuse.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 21:33 on Oct 6, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

net work error posted:

There is no good isekai

Aura Battler Dunbine

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

tetsuo was not a great dude, no.

It’s a trip going from the movie where he’s portrayed sympathetically and not entirely responsible for his own actions. Where he’s kinda justifiably angry that the government kidnapped him and keeps shooting space lasers at him, to the manga, where he’s just the worst. Just a complete piece of poo poo human being.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
can't wait for more spy family

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

kengan ashura is awesome firm recommend

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Stairmaster posted:

also you should show your kid gundam wing

Gundam wing glorifies suicide a bit too much for modern children. We dont need any more emos.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

War and Pieces posted:

Gundam wing glorifies suicide a bit too much for modern children. We dont need any more emos.

After failing multiple attempts at suicide since the first episode, Heero saves the Earth in the series finale by saying “I will survive!” instead of making another botched attempt. So really Gundam Wing is a masterful allegory for overcoming suicidal ideation and undergoing healing.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

galagazombie posted:

After failing multiple attempts at suicide since the first episode, Heero saves the Earth in the series finale by saying “I will survive!” instead of making another botched attempt. So really Gundam Wing is a masterful allegory for overcoming suicidal ideation and undergoing healing.

but also he only accomplishes it because zechs and the professors kills themselves

also treize kills himself to ensure a peaceful world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Escaflowne was the first subbed anime I watched. Before that I had only watched DBZ on TV and English dubbed episodes of Ranma 1/2 on RealPlayer in like 50p resolution.

Some girl in my Japanese class in 9th grade lent me it on VHS. Still remember watching it in the living room. Remember basically nothing about the actual plot/characters, though.

War and Pieces posted:

I don't think I ever watched Gundam Wing on TV, but I do remember watching some Gundam Wing OVA (Endless Waltz I believe) on this super tiny TV in my bedroom with my girlfriend at the time who was a fan of the show.

Similar to Escaflowne, remember nothing about it aside from this song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNSOcPjL-Gw

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 21:24 on Oct 7, 2023