Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Al-Saqr posted:

hey guys quick question if a german stole the jewelry of jewish people in europe but killed those jewish people in Aushwitz do the germans get to keep the jewelry or do they have to hand it over to the surviving relatives of the victims.

I've checked the first edition of the rules-based international order and it looks like in your case of disputed jewelry the people who get to keep it are .... the Swiss? Welp, those are the rules so that means it's by definition a fair outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what was the presser about ? Ukraine ?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
The mental whiplash I'm getting from seeing tweets from users with Ukraine flags in their name saying Palestine has no right to defend themselves.

Their positions aren't based on evidence or critical thinking. It's purely whatever they absorb through r/worldnews. I ate a 2 week ban for saying Israeli soldiers deserve what they got, and muted for asking how that is hate speech. Ridiculous given the bloodthirsty messages that get posted there about russian soldiers.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah I support anything that'll gently caress up US empire. If that also materially worsens the lives of US citizens including many posters on this forum then oh well. I don't really give a poo poo because there's like 350 million of you and 7.5 billion of the rest of us. Plus Americans are garbage people.

aren't you dutch lol

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

euphronius posted:

what was the presser about ? Ukraine ?

He said US support for Israel is Solid as A Rock

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I refuse to watch any footage of him bc I imagine he speaks with the pitch and cadence of Gunter from Deus Ex

I wanted ORANGE, but cowardly neutral Austria gave me LEMON LIME

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
The most impressive thing for me is Hamas's media/propaganda ability. Just video over video over pictures of them undeniably winning against Israel. Tho in part it's also because it's purely urban fighting, while in Ukraine I imagine it's just walking over empty fields.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Morbus posted:

aren't you dutch lol

They only had a relatively small empire

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Officer Sandvich posted:

I'd expect that Russia encouraged, helped plan and/or helped supply this as part of its effort to draw western supplies away from Ukraine.

The officials who still hold back hoping for some miraculous peace to suddenly appear from Putin need to wake up already. The longer the war in Ukraine lasts, the more things will spread and the worse it will get. Why endlessly give a cowardly schemer like Putin endless time to scheme.

:thunk:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

DiscountDildos posted:

followed by a video clip of the Israeli airforce taking down an apartment tower in Gaza

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
https://twitter.com/LumpyTheCook/status/1710685459507011697?t=zCES7ZSA8-WD_W2HskNO9A&s=19

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

I want this but he's in his underpants and he's got his hands up

If someone can do this, that would be pretty funny actually.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Marenghi posted:

The mental whiplash I'm getting from seeing tweets from users with Ukraine flags in their name saying Palestine has no right to defend themselves.

Their positions aren't based on evidence or critical thinking. It's purely whatever they absorb through r/worldnews. I ate a 2 week ban for saying Israeli soldiers deserve what they got, and muted for asking how that is hate speech. Ridiculous given the bloodthirsty messages that get posted there about russian soldiers.

People keep trying to explain how liberals think to me and it just doesn't compute for whatever reason.

If red bags turn you into a commie on the Red Bags to Red Flags pipeline, so be it.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Marenghi posted:

they gave me a perma for asking why the Canadian parliament Nazi stories were getting buried

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Marenghi posted:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

lol maybe iranian weapons seized by the US just ended up making it to hamas anyways this way

lmao

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Phigs posted:

No I mean a different country. A third war.

But yeah, a coup, or a rebel offensive. Anything you've been putting off because the West would likely interfere with your plans, now seems like the time to go for it.

China, finish the fight. Take Taiwan tonight.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Ukrainian arms funding looking very, very critical right now with Israel raising the hand

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

WaryWarren posted:

joe brandon's press announcement cut-in during football was some bizarro poo poo

It is about America is actually about.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
In light of allegations of weapons making it onto the black market and arming Hamas, I think we should send more weapons to Ukraine

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

People keep trying to explain how liberals think to me and it just doesn't compute for whatever reason.

If red bags turn you into a commie on the Red Bags to Red Flags pipeline, so be it.

Once you see the light of materialism you can't understand the world of liberalism anymore

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Marenghi posted:

Kind of like how history in Ukraine began in February 2022, history in Israel began yesterday.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Al-Saqr posted:

I am now permanently and 1000% on Russias side now in their fight against Ukranian Nazis. Sorry Zelensky you made me make a choice.

drat… this is bad news… for Russia

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Israel and Ukraine are clients of the United States, that means they are the good guys.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KomradeX posted:

Once you see the light of materialism you can't understand the world of liberalism anymore

The strangest thing to me about the liberal response to Ukraine is that even though we are inundated with capitalist messages about how everyone is a rational actor acting in their own self interest we just… aren’t allowed to consider that about designated bad guys. It isn’t enough for Putin or Xi or whoever to be opposed to our aims. They have to be insane creatures of pure evil whose actions are completely unmoored from material reality.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Ardennes posted:

Israel and Ukraine are clients of the United States, that means they are the good guys.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

VoicesCanBe posted:

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1710695417745412334

Either Hamas is running a very sophisticated PR campaign ala Ukraine or this is really loving serious (good)

10s of generals AND soldiers is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
They've killed one and captured another

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Thoguh posted:

The strangest thing to me about the liberal response to Ukraine is that even though we are inundated with capitalist messages about how everyone is a rational actor acting in their own self interest we just… aren’t allowed to consider that about designated bad guys. It isn’t enough for Putin or Xi or whoever to be opposed to our aims. They have to be insane creatures of pure evil whose actions are completely unmoored from material reality.

Yep

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

They've killed one and captured another

He was the very model of a modern Major General. The lead investigator on that firefight with Egyptian cops that killed the Influencer-in-Uniform.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

KomradeX posted:

skill issue

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Remember Tom Clancy's attempt at an I/P solution in sum of all fears where he had the Swiss Guard (like from the Vatican) be a peacekeeping force in Jerusalem

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

tatankatonk posted:

Remember Tom Clancy's attempt at an I/P solution in sum of all fears where he had the Swiss Guard (like from the Vatican) be a peacekeeping force in Jerusalem

also that's the same book where an Israeli police officer shoots a completely peaceful protester, who is just sitting on the sidewalk singing 'we shall overcome', in the head for absolutely no reason, and this is depicted from his perspective with him being the sympathetic one and the Arab teen he just murdered being portrayed as having manipulated him into doing it to make the occupation look bad

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Mister Bates posted:

also that's the same book where an Israeli police officer shoots a completely peaceful protester, who is just sitting on the sidewalk singing 'we shall overcome', in the head for absolutely no reason, and this is depicted from his perspective with him being the sympathetic one and the Arab teen he just murdered being portrayed as having manipulated him into doing it to make the occupation look bad

This is also the plot of that Ben Shapiro book

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Any of those weapons being used against Israel come from what the US gave to Ukraine?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Any of those weapons being used against Israel come from what the US gave to Ukraine?

Yeah they reportedly were used to shoot down some idf choppers

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Slavvy posted:

Yeah they reportedly were used to shoot down some idf choppers

Is this Dark Brandon?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KomradeX posted:

I can understand it just fine, even if I could never actually look at things in that way myself. But it's definitely a barrier that goes in the other direction, where liberals (or pretty much anyone with mainstream political views) are genuinely incapable of comprehending any other way of looking at the world.

I think it's primarily a media thing. People raised to believe that "you get your info about Things from the media." Liberals are a little bit worse about this, but conservatives also choose whatever media or talking heads they prefer and get their info from them.

The "trick" to it in America (and probably some other countries as well like the UK) is that there's some minor variation in opinions displayed in our media (usually on a partisan basis). So people truly think that all legitimate/serious views are being presented, and anything outside of that is inherently not worth taking seriously. The justification for this (when it exists) is something along the lines of "just like any other complex field, we rely on experts to know things and make decisions." The idea of someone forming opinions about a topic like politics without getting them from experts on TV or in newspapers is viewed as absurd for the same reason as someone forming opinions about medicine from a source other than medical professionals.

To use a topic like Ukraine as an example, the idea that Ukraine might not be the "good guys" (or that supporting them in the war might be a bad idea) is inherently absurd, because that viewpoint is not expressed in the media they watch/read. They can't explain to you why this is, but they don't need to - other people (who they are certain know far more than they do) have already studied the subject and came to those conclusions. It's similar with stuff like the Uyghur genocide - they can't explain to you why it's true, but the fact that no one in serious news media was questioning it is evidence enough. Just like with a topic like medicine, they just assume that there must be a lot of "expertise" going on behind closed doors.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

DiscountDildos posted:

We are committed to providing access to Israel having a right to defend itself.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

DiscountDildos posted:

I've never watched him give a speech before and he has such beady little weasel eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I refuse to watch any footage of him bc I imagine he speaks with the pitch and cadence of Gunter from Deus Ex

every time I see a Gunther post with a pic or vid of him in glasses, and that weird flat smile/neutral frown thing he does, all I can think of is Smythe's old avatar brought to life, back when his av was the little helmeted guy that someone added the giant glasses to; wish I could find it for a direct comparison but alas, it was lost with the pickling of Smythe

KomradeX posted:

sure you can, just think "what would I do if I subconsciously gave absolutely no shits about anyone other than myself, lacked the self-awareness to evaluate my own actions in relation to the people and world around me, had zero motivation or outside impetus to ever develop that self-awareness or change my behavior, took everything I heard/saw at face value without questioning it, and was unable to fathom what a total piece of poo poo all of that ultimately makes me?"

cause being consciously aware of it and not changing/being OK with it just makes them openly (or at least consciously) fascist imo whether or not they realize the label; being in the baby's-lack-of-object-permanence-esque state of not really thinking about it just makes them liberals (i.e. little eichmanns)

basically what Ytlaya said, yeah:

Ytlaya posted:

I can understand it just fine, even if I could never actually look at things in that way myself. But it's definitely a barrier that goes in the other direction, where liberals (or pretty much anyone with mainstream political views) are genuinely incapable of comprehending any other way of looking at the world.

I think it's primarily a media thing. People raised to believe that "you get your info about Things from the media." Liberals are a little bit worse about this, but conservatives also choose whatever media or talking heads they prefer and get their info from them.

The "trick" to it in America (and probably some other countries as well like the UK) is that there's some minor variation in opinions displayed in our media (usually on a partisan basis). So people truly think that all legitimate/serious views are being presented, and anything outside of that is inherently not worth taking seriously. The justification for this (when it exists) is something along the lines of "just like any other complex field, we rely on experts to know things and make decisions." The idea of someone forming opinions about a topic like politics without getting them from experts on TV or in newspapers is viewed as absurd for the same reason as someone forming opinions about medicine from a source other than medical professionals.

To use a topic like Ukraine as an example, the idea that Ukraine might not be the "good guys" (or that supporting them in the war might be a bad idea) is inherently absurd, because that viewpoint is not expressed in the media they watch/read. They can't explain to you why this is, but they don't need to - other people (who they are certain know far more than they do) have already studied the subject and came to those conclusions. It's similar with stuff like the Uyghur genocide - they can't explain to you why it's true, but the fact that no one in serious news media was questioning it is evidence enough. Just like with a topic like medicine, they just assume that there must be a lot of "expertise" going on behind closed doors.

anyway glad to be alive and posting today despite the potential of dubya dubya three creeping ever closer. hopefully in the coming years america and nato somehow decide to choose working with humanity instead of their current death drive, but that's probably too optimistic. really trying to just like, get through the days spending time with the people in my life who matter most (posters, ofc. i guess maybe friends and family too idk)