Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think there's also a desire to not just do the same thing twice in a row that can occasionally lead to some of the things that made the first installment a hit being obscured.

And yeah, I agree that Eldermourne was not a step down at all for all that it suffered a little from Murph writing himself into a corner. Hank's jean jacket moment is one of the all time best moments of the entire podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

like compared to adventure zone, which leaned *way* too hard into being emotional and dramatic after a certain point in its first campaign because it saw people responded well to that, naddpod has been extremely consistent throughout in being a really well blended mix of funny as hell which hitting the right dramatic beats. it's been remarkable to me how well it's held itself to a high standard

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

like compared to adventure zone, which leaned *way* too hard into being emotional and dramatic after a certain point in its first campaign because it saw people responded well to that, naddpod has been extremely consistent throughout in being a really well blended mix of funny as hell which hitting the right dramatic beats. it's been remarkable to me how well it's held itself to a high standard

I actually liked TAZ: Amnesty a lot too (though I think it's firmly in the "this has obvious flaws that I just don't care about" category), but yeah, for all that the world had a grimmer tone, the feel of the show didn't really change that much. I think that's largely driven by the chemistry that the players all have with each other, they're first and foremost a pack of friends having a really good time together, and that's the real secret to NADD's success, I think.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah to me it's that the nature of the format makes it so that a lot of the gold from the first campaign comes out organically, from the collaborative and improvisational moments you get when you leave your narrative into the hands of the dice and your players. I feel like TAZ, and maybe d&daddies did this too, tried to recreate that gold on purpose and it just never works. I dunno if that's exactly the problem with d&daddies right now; i still think the show is very funny, I still tune in, just not as religiously as I used to. But the plot is a mess, I've completely lost the thread. I know that they said they put a ton of effort into the first episode of the campaign, including a few re-records and editing passes; I suspect they might have tried too hard too. And at the risk of being an armchair psychologist, I can't help but notice that Anthony Burch is relentlessly self-critical, even when he doesn't need to be, so when the quality of the work actually is kind of suffering, that probably can become a spiral very quickly

Also agreed that I wouldn't call eldermourne a slump, at least not a TAZ level slump. I think if it had gone on much longer I might have started checking my watch, but I think they ended it smartly.

So yeah I dunno if Naddpod does something deliberate to avoid that second campaign problem, or if it's really just that they're such a tight, creatively aligned team, that whatever they decide to work on tends to turn out really good

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

docbeard posted:

I actually liked TAZ: Amnesty a lot too (though I think it's firmly in the "this has obvious flaws that I just don't care about" category), but yeah, for all that the world had a grimmer tone, the feel of the show didn't really change that much. I think that's largely driven by the chemistry that the players all have with each other, they're first and foremost a pack of friends having a really good time together, and that's the real secret to NADD's success, I think.

yeah for whatever it's worth i enjoyed amnesty as well, but once we got to graduation my interest just completely dropped. which is fine, naddpod fills that void in my cold dead heart

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah just to be clear I think NADDPOD campaigns 1 to 2 is going from like an A to a B-, TAZ is going from a B to an F starring Bisexual Mary Sue. So I definitely don’t agree that the scales are similar even if imo there is a distinct drop in quality between campaigns for both podcasts. I don’t listen nor have ever listened to DnDaddies so I can’t comment on that but literally everything I’ve heard about campaign 2 has been complaints. I do want to point out that regardless of opinions on Eldermourne I feel like C3 has been such an impressive return to form and feels totally different from the first campaign despite being set in the exact same world, which is more than you can say for like, Imbalance (which from what I’ve heard everyone seems to despise).

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i gave rude tales of magic a shot earlier this year and it was funny enough, but it really just made naddpod shine more in how well it balances comedy, drama, and gameplay. it's hard to do!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Graduation is where I dropped too. Travis is a terrible DM and it was downright painful to listen to.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I often try and get into other dnd podcasts but always end up just listening to NADDPOD over and over, and I think the reason why is largely because Murph knows how to not fall into extremes of being overly pretentious kibitzing over what it MEANS to ROLEPLAY in an authored world (which is why I could never get into FatT, they spend so much time talking about what they should be doing on a metanarrative and fourth-wall-breaking level and don’t cut it out), or trying to force emotional moments (which is Griffin’s fatal flaw on TAZ, combined with players who either don’t care or care way too much and try to make it all about them), or treat the rules of dnd as Calvinball (which is what TAZ totally does, and when I’ve tried to listen to Rude Tales they do the same). Like, Murph has mentioned this a ton of times on Dungeon Court (which is really good insight into his sensibilities as a DM), he’s very firmly about ensuring his campaigns are games with rules first and foremost, which is why I don’t listen to most other dnd podcasts; as he’s mentioned before, you can’t just have everyone being Daffy Duck all the time.

What’s most interesting with Murph as a dnd player to me is how willing he is to shift to meet the needs of the campaign he’s on. Like I think Murph the DM would hate to DM Murph the Trinyvale campaign player, because he’s such an unbelievably self-absorbed and self-serving prick, but Caldwell and the table love Jens because he fits the world established so well. Like, I’m remembering that moment in the Bahumia crossover when Jens just casually casts Dispel Magic on the Green Teens healing each other, a just needlessly cruel and rude thing to do to literal children, and it’s both hilarious and a perfect example of Murph bending his sensibilities to fit the world in which he’s playing.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I think you also feel a lot of that in the things Brennan Lee mulligan dm's. Not actively fighting against the system because you think it's dumb, but using its structure to create something funnier and more grounded. Both murph and Brennan have a ton of experience dming off camera, so they know how to do this very well. Emily as a player is also probably the biggest asset to both naddpod and dimension 20, a master at staying within the rules but still doing something insanely cool.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah it feels like FatT and TAZ and Rude Tales, at least to me, all come from different reactions to what is ultimately the same sort of underlying thought that DnD and roleplaying are stupid and the entire process is stupid and therefore should be treated as an at best annoyance and roadblock to what actually matters, X. Rude Tales I genuinely respect because they’re like “it’s stupid and we are gonna be upfront with how stupid we think dnd is so we are just gonna treat it as one big joke”, which although I disagree with I can totally see the point and think openly mocking the concept is totally fine. On the other hand I find FatT’s and especially TAZ’s approach inherently super disingenuous because it’s essentially going “we are gonna write a radio play and then have some ostensible dice rolling in the background” which it’s like, if you think tabletop is such an impediment to the story you’re gonna tell why not just remove it all and work on your scripts, guys.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i found rude tales to be kind of a slog to listen to because it was just characters telling jokes in circles and avoiding making any decisions unless branson decided it was finally time to move on. it was around episode 9 or 10 when he killed albie's brother without giving anyone a chance to do anything about it i decided i wasn't getting anything out of the show

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I also really enjoy the variety of content they've settled into for their episode release cadence. The mix of campaign eps and pure goofs is just right imo, the d&d court/book club/etc episodes are nice palate cleansers, and I would assume it lets them put a little more focus on the campaign as well.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023
I also didn't like Eldermourne as much as the other settings (excepting the interstitial campaign with Lou, which was great), but I'm having a hard time figuring out why. Maybe because the ending seemed rushed (especially the all-cure elixir) and was much more tell-don't-show, with Murph just explaining the plot or telling them they realize things they otherwise couldn't have figured out from context. Maybe I just didn't like the characters. Even for Hank, the character I liked the most, hearing his backstory of losing custody of his son and having a difficult relationship with him was more upsetting than entertaining; after that it was hard to find any joy in jokes about Henry being a failure.

I think sometimes second seasons will try to deliberately mimic recurring jokes or story elements people liked from the first season, which can get stale, but I can't think of any big examples here. The fun tension between 3 of them being the gas and Murph being the brakes was still there.

I do miss some of the Season 1 humor caused by Jake not knowing what he was doing and the Season 1 satisfaction of Jake getting into D&D.

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
Although you don't want older characters overshadowing the campaign, I'm really going to miss Hardwon when he goes. S3 was already good beforehand (I drifted away from Eldermourne and never really returned), but he fit in so effortlessly with Duck Team

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

An Taoiseach posted:

Although you don't want older characters overshadowing the campaign, I'm really going to miss Hardwon when he goes. S3 was already good beforehand (I drifted away from Eldermourne and never really returned), but he fit in so effortlessly with Duck Team

given the hook that currently exists to give hardwon an out, i have to imagine the whole C1 crew will be back in some capacity in the late game

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I was listening to the WWE CYA episode on my way to work this morning and had to pause the podcast because I was choking back laughter and getting weird looks from the other passengers.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My favorite recurring joke in the book club eps is when they make the protagonist 34. I don’t know why that gets me every time but it does

I don’t think it happened with this one, i was just reminded

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

Ainsley McTree posted:

My favorite recurring joke in the book club eps is when they make the protagonist 34. I don’t know why that gets me every time but it does

I don’t think it happened with this one, i was just reminded

I think the chickens were newly hatched, 34 year old chickens

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
"i spent 33 years and 364 days inside an egg and today is my birthday"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't know how I forgot that. I guess my brain just went "well they were chickens, they couldn't have been 34 this time"

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

i found rude tales to be kind of a slog to listen to because it was just characters telling jokes in circles and avoiding making any decisions unless branson decided it was finally time to move on. it was around episode 9 or 10 when he killed albie's brother without giving anyone a chance to do anything about it i decided i wasn't getting anything out of the show

That was pretty much my experience with it too, though I stuck with it for a bit longer than that. It was funny but I think the unpredictability of playing a game is what makes actual play fun, and they were barely playing a game. NADDPOD really is the gold standard of balancing funny with mechanics

Also agreeing that the wwe book was loving hilarious, probably the best 8 bit book club since the revival.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

A decent chunk of actual play podcasts really, really hate the concept of dice rolls failing and I think it shows. Failures happening and throwing a wrench in the players plan/complicating things/taking things in a new direction is what makes dnd and actual play stuff interesting imo

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Weird Pumpkin posted:

A decent chunk of actual play podcasts really, really hate the concept of dice rolls failing and I think it shows. Failures happening and throwing a wrench in the players plan/complicating things/taking things in a new direction is what makes dnd and actual play stuff interesting imo

yeah, if you embrace it, the dice rolls are such a gift for improv, i don't understand why so many other podcasts resist it. some of the most fun you can have in d&d is getting bullshit lucky/unlucky on the dice roll and being put on the spot to make up an explanation for what just happened, and then exploring the consequences, it's exactly what you want if you're an improviser.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
I'm relistening to a bunch of D&D Courts. The first one has the court ruling in favour of returning from banishment not bringing you back to the space you were in on a moving vehicle (in this case a ship) but where you were at the time of banishment relative to the world, so in this case in the air over empty sea. Where do other folks stand on this? I don't know if there's any official advice in rulebooks etc but I can never decide if I agree with them or not. At what point does movement of the "space" relative to the world stop mattering? What about some sort of flying city or other huge area? Would a small mount like a horse count in the same way?

Not a huge deal that I'd get mad at either way in my games just curious what others think. In similar situations as DM, I'm usually happy to roll with whatever we establish as a group consensus, as long as folks aren't trying to get away with real cheeky clearly-against-the-rules stuff.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I don't really care about D&D, I just think these three work real great together. Making a podcast about doing a Goosebumps CYOA sounds boring, but instead it's hysterical.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

Sankara posted:

I don't really care about D&D, I just think these three work real great together. Making a podcast about doing a Goosebumps CYOA sounds boring, but instead it's hysterical.

It was a weird choice of RL Stine to pivot into stories about corporate whistleblowers in the aviation industry and I'm in awe of the gang's ability to find the humour in such serious subject matter.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Calexio posted:

I'm relistening to a bunch of D&D Courts. The first one has the court ruling in favour of returning from banishment not bringing you back to the space you were in on a moving vehicle (in this case a ship) but where you were at the time of banishment relative to the world, so in this case in the air over empty sea. Where do other folks stand on this? I don't know if there's any official advice in rulebooks etc but I can never decide if I agree with them or not. At what point does movement of the "space" relative to the world stop mattering? What about some sort of flying city or other huge area? Would a small mount like a horse count in the same way?

Not a huge deal that I'd get mad at either way in my games just curious what others think. In similar situations as DM, I'm usually happy to roll with whatever we establish as a group consensus, as long as folks aren't trying to get away with real cheeky clearly-against-the-rules stuff.

i think in a later d&d court someone takes this to its logical conclusion that you should return from banishment in the void of space because of the planet’s movement around the sun

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Calexio posted:

Speaking as a DM I could see the argument and if it allowed a character to not die if they did it, like in the case which is mentioned, I would allow it. If, on the other hand, it was used specifically by one of those players to get out of there being any consequences whatsoever no, gently caress him, he’s getting jumped the instant he returns from the astral plane.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

i think in a later d&d court someone takes this to its logical conclusion that you should return from banishment in the void of space because of the planet’s movement around the sun

Does DnD take place in a heliocentric world?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Does DnD take place in a heliocentric world?

it doesnt matter if its heliocentric as long as it takes place on a planet moving through space

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

murph's character in this mixed bag two-shot is the perfect character for him

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

kidcoelacanth posted:

murph's character in this mixed bag two-shot is the perfect character for him

I loved the play of speaking in noire-twinged first-person voiceover for his character instead of describing what he says or does. I’m definitely stealing that for a home game one day

Also did Jake and Caldwell switch character sheets right before starting?? Their characters seem like each of them came up with the other’s. (I don’t actually think there’s any evidence of that happening btw, just an observation)

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
good lord this fight

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

another freakin banger of an ep

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Murph is really bringing it with the imagery and mechanics of these boss battles.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
murph understands the importance of cribbing cool poo poo from videogame fights to make cool ttrpg encounters.

like if this was the sort of ap that used maps and minis id fully expect him to eventually start bustin' out aoe indicators

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I made this.

https://bingobaker.com/view/6521148

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

You need "Emily pours tea right into the mic"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009