Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Rochallor posted:

The biggest aspect of Thrawn's genius here is that he's a) soft-spoken and b) thoroughly explains his bad plans and when they fail, he smiles knowingly.

I reread the Thrawn trilogy a couple years ago and generally they present a reasonably believable character, in the sense that Sherlock Holmes is a reasonably believable character. He's got a really neat trick where he dupes planets into surrendering by infiltrating the planet with cloaked vessels, claiming he can shoot through the planet's defensive shields, and then fires on the shield from space (which dissipates against the shield while the cloaked vessels fire on the same trajectory, creating the illusion of shield-piercing blasts). That's a smart guy thing to do! Even his more wild Sherlockian deductions come back to bite him when he gets one totally wrong, lacking the relevant information, and that's the one that comes back to bite him in the rear end.

Even in the original books, it's plausible that a fair chunk of Thrawn's "I understand their art and therefor understand their thought processes" schtick was purely a cover for having New Republic HQ bugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

That DICK! posted:

luckily reason would win in the end and luke skywalker, the plucky little farmboy who never said never, died alone having never hosed, suffering a heart attack after yodas ghost showed up to tell him he was wrong about loving

:emptyquote: so this isnt lost due to a new page

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

1st AD posted:

Andor ain't coming out in 2024.

I think Acolyte is in the can, not sure how far into production Skeleton Crew got.

Skeleton Crew was meant to be in 2023 (with principal photography wrapping well before the strikes) but it got delayed too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
drat shame they're gonna miss that Halloween screening date.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Importantly, "imperial remnants" aren't shown onscreen in the show, aside from like three dudes in a junkyard.

Going strictly by what's shown in Ashoka, one star destroyer could take out the entire New Republic - which consists of a borough council and one space cop with an x-wing.

Recurring characters from other media ends up having that effect: We keep seeing the same dozen faces. It feels like a crowded supermarket instead of a massive populated galaxy.

The scale is way off. Hera stole a "fleet," but it was a handful of ships. Thrawn is a "brilliant warlord," but unable to defeat an unarmed caravan. Are Jedi rare? More than half the cast uses the force.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Skeleton Crew was meant to be in 2023 (with principal photography wrapping well before the strikes) but it got delayed too.

Yeah, as far as I’m aware the Ahsoka finale is the last Star Wars thing we’re getting this year (as far as shows go that is, not sure if there’s any upcoming comics or books)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Yeah, as far as I’m aware the Ahsoka finale is the last Star Wars thing we’re getting this year (as far as shows go that is, not sure if there’s any upcoming comics or books)

Comics are still going strong

The main series (and Darth Vader, Bounty Hunters, and Doctor Aphra) is in the middle of another mega-arc called Dark Droids, where a droid named Scourge, born of a fusion between the Spark Eternal and an old droid locked away by the Sith, is hijacking droids/androids across the galaxy and wrecking havoc in an attempt to gain control of the Force

High Republic just started its Shadows of Starlight, where the Jedi have recalled its members and enacted Guardian Protocols to combat the Nihil and the Nameless/Eaters of the Force, which involves things like accelerating combat training for younglings, Padawans of any age can undergo the Knight trials, and seeking opportunities for targeted strikes against the Nihil

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Vinylshadow posted:

Comics are still going strong

The main series (and Darth Vader, Bounty Hunters, and Doctor Aphra) is in the middle of another mega-arc called Dark Droids, where a droid named Scourge, born of a fusion between the Spark Eternal and an old droid locked away by the Sith, is hijacking droids/androids across the galaxy and wrecking havoc in an attempt to gain control of the Force

High Republic just started its Shadows of Starlight, where the Jedi have recalled its members and enacted Guardian Protocols to combat the Nihil and the Nameless/Eaters of the Force, which involves things like accelerating combat training for younglings, Padawans of any age can undergo the Knight trials, and seeking opportunities for targeted strikes against the Nihil

That sounds like some EU poo poo, i stopped reading the comics around the time they crossed to ESB territory

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Gin_Rummy posted:

Does anyone else think Disney lightsabers look like poo poo? Every time they show up in a TV show, you can clearly tell it’s a plastic stick with like an LED in it or something and it bugs the poo poo out of me.

Yeah, they look like big glow sticks. I think a big part of the problem is also how they sound. When someone fires up a lightsaber in one of the movies, it audibly snaps to life, the blade crackles and hums, and clashes with other lightsabers sound huge. The Disney+ show versions are kinda like when you play an FPS with lovely sound design and all the guns sound like staplers.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I remember Luke's in ROTJ being really loud and harsh when he turned it on. All of the OT sabers had slightly different sounds and that's not as obvious either.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Sash! posted:

I remember Luke's in ROTJ being really loud and harsh when he turned it on. All of the OT sabers had slightly different sounds and that's not as obvious either.

That was just poorly tuned garbage line Kylo's coal rolling poo poo stick

If Huyang had been around they'd barely hum

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I love how meaty the lightsabers in Battlefront II and Fallen Order/Survivor are

Dark Side gets some good sabers too

Dooku
Sidious
Vader

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I guess this is a good moment to go and actually finish Jedi Fallen Order.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

maybealabia posted:

That was just poorly tuned garbage line Kylo's coal rolling poo poo stick

If Huyang had been around they'd barely hum

I don't care if it's intentional or not, Kylo having the lightsaber equivalent of a fart-can Honda is canon to me now

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Cage Kicker posted:

I don't care if it's intentional or not, Kylo having the lightsaber equivalent of a fart-can Honda is canon to me now

Well it even looks janky with its exposed wiring and whatnot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

This is what they took from us.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Haha oh my god he has a tiny little screwdriver lightsaber. Of course he does.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I always assumed Kylo’s lightsaber had a crossguard for the purpose of dispersing energy so his tuner lightsaber doesn’t explode in his hand.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I think Ezra and Kanan found an old jedi lightsaber with a Kylo crossguard in a temple.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
He had it because it looks cool

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

why can't they do shapes that aren't rods

why don't we have light shields

why can't ezra make a lightsaber that has the cross section of a pool noodle to bap people with

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
There was a curved sword in Visions

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Akakiri had them

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/
I didn't watch clone wars or star wars rebels but I liked Andor. Would I be able to follow what is going on in Ahsoka?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zoeb posted:

I didn't watch clone wars or star wars rebels but I liked Andor. Would I be able to follow what is going on in Ahsoka?

Maybe?

It's not that it's hard to follow so much as some stuff works (a lot) better if you are invested in the characters.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Maybe?

It's not that it's hard to follow so much as some stuff works (a lot) better if you are invested in the characters.

Just watch the show. When the main characters say something is a threat, believe them.

The animated series are really good and well worth the time of a Star Wars fan, but you can get by.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Zoeb posted:

Honestly? As someone who watched and loved Clone Wars, Rebels and Andor: Wait until (if) a second season is finished. Hopefully the story will have cleared up more mysteries by then.

The writing and characterization is miles below that of Andor. The characters' introduction also isn't done very well - if you haven't seen Rebels, you may be left wondering why characters are acting a certain way or why they find certain things important more than just once. And even as someone who has seen Rebels, the fact that there's a ten year gap between Rebels and Ahsoka left a lot of things open for me that the show wasn't clear about - or cleared up only in the last episode, at which point the information I got was near-irrelevant and would have been useful to have in the first episode.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Zoeb posted:

Nope.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've never watched any of those and was able to follow what's going on. It isn't complicated, just a bit thin.

I have some knowledge of who Thrawn is and who nightsisters are through cultural osmosis and a couple video games but I've never actually read any of those books or watched the animated shows.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Follow, yes. Care? Eh.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Zoeb posted:

You could probably put together the rough outline of the character relationships and backgrounds, but they don't bother making them matter really.

Andor is the high water mark for writing and characterization in Star Wars. No qualifications. The best writing it's ever gotten. Just a sincere lived-in universe treated with utter sincerity and written to the nines-- no cynicism or jangly keys cameos.

This is a sequel to a cartoon and frankly comes out worse than the cartoon with mostly unemotive performance choices, underdeveloped characters, undermotivated plot developments. It's got a few moments (space whale megafauna graveyard as a planetary ring! all the imagery of episode 5! basically every moment Ray Stephenson is onscreen) but you could fit them in the runtime of an episode.

I can't possibly recommend it in juxtaposition with Andor.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
If you like looking at Star Wars things like costumes, ships, props, creatures it's fine without knowing who anyone is

If you liked Andor in spite of it being Star Wars poo poo then in no way should you watch Ahsoka

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

maybealabia posted:

If you like looking at Star Wars things like costumes, ships, props, creatures it's fine without knowing who anyone is

If you liked Andor in spite of it being Star Wars poo poo then in no way should you watch Ahsoka

What if you gots to know what Mon Mothma is up to

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What if you gots to know what Mon Mothma is up to

It's kind of funny, Andor, the OT, and Ahsoka so far kind of imply a full circle arc where she's dragged reluctantly from liberal ally in an impotent governing body kicking and screaming into a revolutionary but figuring out how to play the game on the way, to a figurehead of revolution, back to a do-nothing liberal head of state of an impotent governing body.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 8, 2023

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Even in Rebels Mon Mothma is shown to be naïve and unwilling to make the necessary decisions to win.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Even in Rebels Mon Mothma is shown to be naïve and unwilling to make the necessary decisions to win.

Saw Gerrera alt spotted

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
He was right and furthermore, he did nothing wrong

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Owlbear Camus posted:

This is a sequel to a cartoon and frankly comes out worse than the cartoon with mostly unemotive performance choices, underdeveloped characters, undermotivated plot developments. It's got a few moments (space whale megafauna graveyard as a planetary ring! all the imagery of episode 5! basically every moment Ray Stephenson is onscreen) but you could fit them in the runtime of an episode.

Yeah, Ahsoka isn't the worst, most infuriating, laziest, or crappiest looking star wars thing I've ever seen, but is the least engaging. Even the action scenes feel dull and pointless. It would really benefit from tighter editing.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You can practically get up to speed on Rebels via YouTube clips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rebels Recon condenses the plots down to five-minute videos with some fun BTS material, and plenty of Chopper antics