Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

eXXon posted:

I'm skeptical of pet probiotics, though the cat I gave them to regularly had so many health issues it was virtually impossible to tell if they helped (they didn't seem to, anyway). But for what it's worth:

- This generally fussy cat liked FortiFlora at first. After I finished the first box, I ordered a second off Amazon and he refused to touch it. There are lots of similar reviews on Amazon suggesting they don't store probiotics properly, so based on that I'd recommend against buying anything from Amazon.
- I switched to Proviable-DC. It's not any cheaper but supposedly better in that it has a wider variety of bacteria instead of just one strain. I never tried opening the capsules, I just pilled him, so I'm not sure if it's palatable enough to sprinkle on food. I gave it to him for months and didn't notice any particular adverse effects, but again it's hard to tell.
- I tried Purina Calming Care with my other cat based on vet advice and he vomited twice the day after eating the first packet, so I'm hesitant to even try giving him another.

Thanks. He's tolerating FortiFlora so far but it's not helping with the vomiting. I'll just go over the whole story.

Terry is 12 years old, neutered, indoor only. Vet says he's a healthy weight and he has a lot of appetite. He gets 4 small feedings of dry food (Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin) spaced through the day, plus a can of wet food with the probiotic powder. About twice a week he vomits right after eating from his feeder at 9 AM and vomits within 5 minutes if I give him any more food. Every time I've had him fast for 12 hours and introduced a little food and he can usually keep it down, seeming happy and healthy the next day.

I had him at his regular vet 5 months ago and they said his gastroenteritis wasn't too worrisome. A few weeks ago I got worried about him not keeping food down for a whole day and took him to an urgent care vet. They told me there wasn't anything obviously wrong, just giving him fluids and an anti-emetic.

I guess the status quo isn't that bad - he pukes on the kitchen floor and I mop it up but that's not really a big deal. But I'm still concerned. Anything I should try or think about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

can someone link me a gravity feeder i don't have to shake once a day?

:yeah: My torty claims whisker stress whenever the bowl gets even partially empty and I have to keep digging more food out with my fingers so it stays completely full for Her Majesty.

Unrelated:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone tell me what type of cat my boy is and what threads I may post pics of him in?

Thanks!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Can anyone tell me what type of cat my boy is and what threads I may post pics of him in?

Thanks!

It's the good kind

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That type of cat is what’s known as a “good cat”.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thanks!

OP I think they're a cat

leaning towards "good cat"

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I can 100% accurately certify that it's in fact a cat

outside of pure bred cats I don't think I've ever really thought about cat breeds, just doesn't seem like much of a thing I guess

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Not an admin/mod/IK but you have my permission to post him in everything

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I just saw that all the cat threads are specific to, well, not quite breeds but... Orange/Black/Tortie. He's just an old man who adopted me a year back (his previous owner passed unexpectedly) and I only just now realized that I can post the thousands of pics I take of him.

Here he is preventing my new roommate from packing by sitting on her laptop case.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Weird Pumpkin posted:

outside of pure bred cats I don't think I've ever really thought about cat breeds, just doesn't seem like much of a thing I guess

They're all "domestic shorthairs" or "domestic longhairs" but it's still typical to give them labels based on coloring even if only for identification at the vet's office.

The cute cat being posted would probably get the brand "grey tabby".

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

They're all "domestic shorthairs" or "domestic longhairs" but it's still typical to give them labels based on coloring even if only for identification at the vet's office.

oh yeah for sure, I guess I just didn't think of those as breeds rather than coats. But I guess that's a good point yeah

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

Huh, I don't see a tabby thread. Everyone seems to like him so I'll post him wherever he fits.

Thanks, thread! Tic is thankful too (you can tell cause he's showing butt, that's how it works)

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

He is a cutie.

The YOSPOS cat thread is weirdly the most active one I know of, moreso than the PI threads. :shrug: I just read all of them.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Thanks!

He’s beautiful and I love him!

Real answer is he looks like smoke tabby? It’s a coloration that is more common in British Shorthairs (link has some good pics of various smoke-colorations).

Breed-wise: he’s a cat. Unlike dogs, cats haven’t been specially bred for as long and most do not fall into a specific breed.

And the YOSPOS catte thread welcomes all cat pictures! Even weird cattes!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201527&perpage=40&pagenumber=7407&noseen=1

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I currently have four cats and four timed/automatic feeders. All four feeders, despite being the same brand and model, have clocks that run at slightly different speeds. I'm constantly having to re-sync them and even then no matter what I do some of them are delayed and it just causes a whole ordeal where I've got to jump up and go wrangle the cats to make sure they all eat from their designated feeders, defeating the entire point of having the timed feeders in the first place.

Anyway, does anyone have experience using multiple WiFi enabled feeders? I'm wondering if (hoping) the WiFi connection will keep their clocks in sync.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Welp, it happened. One of my cats is now in heat (the other is a boy) and neither of them are fixed. It's not that I havent been trying, I just can't for the life of me figure out how the gently caress to loving DO it. I accept that it's gonna be like $600 minimum, fine, whatever, but even being willing to pay the price everyone has been just been telling me for months their wait list is full and to call back later. I've called like fifteen different places, multiple times, and they ended up not getting in with the vet (the one that did cat acupuncture and cat homeopathy and was the only one who said they might have an opening soon ish) I thought they might get in with so, gently caress.

Even if I COULD get on one of the wait lists I am told the wait can a few months before they do anything.

What do I actually do here? Both short term and long term because gently caress if I know. It sucks that I moved while they were still too young - where I used to live I had an easy time getting them in. They have all their shots and everything and they are microchipped. I just couldn't get this done and I don't know how to get anyone to see them in this new state, ach.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 4, 2023

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

You're basically going to have to separate them for the duration of the dame being in heat. She is going to be BIG MAD and there's nothing you can do about it unless you want tiny kittens (and if they're litter mates, incestuous kittens). It sucks and you have to keep looking for a vet but the lack of vet access is going to be a chronic problem for the foreseeable future that has no easy fix.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Good news is that I called back one of the places from before, and apparently the magic words "she is in heat right now" followed by "I have no idea what happened last night and if they already did something but they are separated now" changed their opinion about whether I could get in and how many months I would have to be on the waitlist. They will give them a lookover tomorrow and have the surgery (at least one, both if they can manage it) scheduled to be on Tuesday.

So that's at least being handled. This feels like my own experience with the human medical system, where its impossible to get anyone to see you for anything until/unless it's an emergency, no matter how obvious "this is going to be an emergency soon" might be, hah.

I really miss my old vet, honestly I probably should have just scheduled it there and made the 3.5 hour drive to get it done, I just thought I had a bit more time and kept hoping someone, somewhere in this state would eventually be able to see them. -_-

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

kw0134 posted:

It sucks and you have to keep looking for a vet but the lack of vet access is going to be a chronic problem for the foreseeable future that has no easy fix.
Yeah. I live in a very rural area, the two vets (one closed last year) aren't taking new patients, and I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take two cats in carriers for a 3-hour round trip to get their shots. :aaaaa:

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah. I live in a very rural area, the two vets (one closed last year) aren't taking new patients, and I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take two cats in carriers for a 3-hour round trip to get their shots. :aaaaa:

Not sure about your area, but a farm vet will be good enough for things like shots and whatnot. And should be able/willing to travel to you. Might be pricier, but sure as poo poo easier than transporting cats more than 20~ min.

Mine hate being in their carriers, and yowl for most of the car ride. I moved with a single boy many years ago now, and i had to sedate him to make him slightly okay with being moved across the country. He abhorred being in the car, at all.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I recommend the larger soft travel carriers for cats on long trips. Not as convenient to carry, but much better in a seat on a long trip.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Rawrbomb posted:

Not sure about your area, but a farm vet will be good enough for things like shots and whatnot. And should be able/willing to travel to you. Might be pricier, but sure as poo poo easier than transporting cats more than 20~ min.

Mine hate being in their carriers, and yowl for most of the car ride. I moved with a single boy many years ago now, and i had to sedate him to make him slightly okay with being moved across the country. He abhorred being in the car, at all.

If you're super-rural you might also want to see if any of your neighbors need work done. I had an uncle whose pets would get their shots and checkups from the same guy who shod the neighbor's horses when he'd swing around to do that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Crossposting from the yospos cats thread

Any :canada: goons who use tiki cat, I just found that homesalive.ca is doing a sale like 25% off on the type of food quill eats (the after dark stuff). I put in an order for 480 cans because I never see sales like this, just wanted to pass it on.

It's been my experience that they often gently caress up their stock numbers and when they don't have enough of the 2.8oz cans they use the 5.x oz cans to make up the same number of cans so I expect to be getting quite a lot of those too. Even if I don't I'm really happy to stock up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VelociBacon posted:

Any :canada: goons who use tiki cat, I just found that homesalive.ca is doing a sale like 25% off on the type of food quill eats (the after dark stuff). I put in an order for 480 cans because I never see sales like this, just wanted to pass it on.

:3:

Your UPS/FedEx/MooseMail/Whatever delivery person is not going to share our enthusiasm, but gently caress em.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
hope there's a rural vet option for AL. i used to work in a poor rural area, though not in the US, and people did have the large animals vet see their cats and dogs for simple vaccinations etc en route.

the thought of taking our two medium-hairs on a 3-hour car journey is grim. one of them is a carefree soul who complains a bit while the car's moving but is basically fine. the other is a farm rescue who's very wary of every human except us, and absolutely cannot tolerate being in a moving car. he gets a little worse every time he has to go.

if he's doped with valerian and you play music to cover the car noise a bit he can maybe manage ten minutes before spewing his guts out of both ends and breathing in these horrible panting gasps for the rest of the trip. (if you don't do that, he shits himself literally within seconds of starting the car.) he also can't stand being bathed so you have to make his day even worse when he gets home by wrapping him in a towel with his tail and back paws sticking out to try and wash off the worst of the caked-on poo poo. he's such a classy fella generally and it makes me feel genuinely guilty seeing him stinky and miserable. the vets don't seem that bothered by it and don't think he needs a proper sedative but it worries me. i think next time i'm either gonna get a vet to visit or put him in his backpack and make the 90min walk to the vet. though might be worth trying one of those huge soft carriers with a little litter box in and seeing if that stops him getting in such a mess at least? god knows. considered finding a way to put him in with his brother as well to see if it calms him, but it could just result in two cats covered in puke and poo poo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Have you tried putting a blanket over the carrier when in the car? My cats aren't nearly as scared of a car ride as yours but they do wail quite pitifully. I discovered if I put a thick blanket over them so it's dark and safe the crying drops dramatically.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
good shout actually, haven't tried that and it's worth a shot. there's a particular smell to adrenaline rush terror shits whatever kind of mammal you are so it's definitely not just motion sickness

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

MrYenko posted:

:3:

Your UPS/FedEx/MooseMail/Whatever delivery person is not going to share our enthusiasm, but gently caress em.

As if Canada Post would deliver that much. They rarely even deliver packages to my house before covid, post covid, gently caress no lol. The goon will likely have to go pick it up at their local Canada Post drop off, which might be a shoppers drugmart, other independent pharmacist or other random places. Hey, its :canada:, not like we can expect the postman to deliver the post.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
thought i'd pay for my horrid posts with some pics of differential cat tree usage and snuggling interrupted by a sneeze. the ginge is the chill bro who got found in a wheelie bin and the dark tabby posts in the cspam car haters thread

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Hey has anyone used a furminator on single coated cats? Does it really damage their coat?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CKYTBKS/

I bought this months ago and my cat loves it but just loved it a little too much and now it's broken. And apparently isn't sold anymore. Looking for something as close as possible to it. +if it isn't made out of hard plastic, ++if it has a colored light show, ++++++++++ if it is motion activated like this one so it will turn on when she hits it and turn itself off after.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

drunken officeparty posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CKYTBKS/

I bought this months ago and my cat loves it but just loved it a little too much and now it's broken. And apparently isn't sold anymore. Looking for something as close as possible to it. +if it isn't made out of hard plastic, ++if it has a colored light show, ++++++++++ if it is motion activated like this one so it will turn on when she hits it and turn itself off after.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm glad I read the Amazon page so I could see their cat classification system.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
call me the cat cos I just discovered my boring/frustrated crossbreed heritage

the furminator makes me a bit wary cos it’s a cutting brush so you have to be careful not to overdo it. i know you’re not meant to use it on cats with thinner coats like orientals so it might be worth checking with someone who does cat and dog grooming as a job or smth

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

pandy fackler fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 22, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

pandy fackler posted:

I need a litterbox recommendation. My cat has one roughly in this stylehttps://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003RQVGKC/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 only it isn't jumbo and I never put the door on because I didn't want the odor to be completely trapped inside. The problem is that sometimes (often) she sticks her butt outside the door frame, missing the box and peeing on the litter mat. Are there any boxes that would prevent this without being totally enclosed, or are enclosed litter boxes not as bad as I think?

what about a top-entry box?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

As big a plastic tote as needed for the cat to turn around in. Utility knife. Cut an entryway.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

been trying some different foods and 5 month old only wants royal canin kitten now :negative: my wallet

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

pandy fackler fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 22, 2024

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

pandy fackler posted:

I need a litterbox recommendation. My cat has one roughly in this stylehttps://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003RQVGKC/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 only it isn't jumbo and I never put the door on because I didn't want the odor to be completely trapped inside. The problem is that sometimes (often) she sticks her butt outside the door frame, missing the box and peeing on the litter mat. Are there any boxes that would prevent this without being totally enclosed, or are enclosed litter boxes not as bad as I think?

I've got an enclosed style with a separate pan of litter inside. You could try that. The price looks like it's gone up though for this particular one.

https://www.chewy.com/frisco-multi-function-covered-cat/dp/285238

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

been trying some different foods and 5 month old only wants royal canin kitten now :negative: my wallet

We're so blessed that we've only ended up with cats that aren't picky about food

Though one of our cats will only eat one specific brand of cat food, a cheaper one. He won't touch any others

The other doesn't even see wet food as food. He'll legit just stare at it, then look at us and cry like he wants to know where his real food is lol