Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah, that seems sensible. Any particular difference between the two you listed?

The WD SN580 is faster. It's just barely slower than the SN770, so in this review you can pretty much use the SN770 as a stand-in for how they compare. The MP600 has better sustained write speed though, so if your audio/video work involves writing 100GB at a time that might be an advantage.

Otherwise, there's no human-noticeable difference between a meh gen4 drive and a good gen4 drive, both are faster than pretty much any normal application really uses.

edit: also WD makes their own flash while corsair sources from market, which is maybe a reliability advantage for WD, but corsair probably does decent QC so it's not a huge deal in this case. More of a thing for the really cheapo companies.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If you’re a data hoarder you can find some old Cliffdale 8TB drives for sub $400

https://serverpartdeals.com/product...e97a1e3c6&_ss=r

Cliffdale is poo poo tier enterprise drives but probably fine for your Plex server

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Maybe not the fastest but those P4500 series will basically live forever and exceed their estimated write lifespan by an impressive amount.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Klyith posted:

The WD SN580 is faster. It's just barely slower than the SN770, so in this review you can pretty much use the SN770 as a stand-in for how they compare. The MP600 has better sustained write speed though, so if your audio/video work involves writing 100GB at a time that might be an advantage.

Otherwise, there's no human-noticeable difference between a meh gen4 drive and a good gen4 drive, both are faster than pretty much any normal application really uses.

edit: also WD makes their own flash while corsair sources from market, which is maybe a reliability advantage for WD, but corsair probably does decent QC so it's not a huge deal in this case. More of a thing for the really cheapo companies.

Cool beans! Might go for the WD for consistency, but I'll set up a price alert on both of them in any case. Appreciated!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Don't do it. The SN580 is poo poo. I have a bunch that lost most of their performance. A bunch died as well. Im actually really pissed off at this model since i used them so much.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Oh! Well, MP600 it is. Thanks for the shout!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

redeyes posted:

Don't do it. The SN580 is poo poo. I have a bunch that lost most of their performance. A bunch died as well. Im actually really pissed off at this model since i used them so much.

The 580 just came out a few months ago, how do you already have a bunch with that history?

Black Griffon posted:

Oh! Well, MP600 it is. Thanks for the shout!

redeyes is a terrible source for reliability reports, as everything they touch seems to break

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Well I'm just gonna stand here turning in circles I guess.

Weirdoman
Jun 12, 2001

I was walking down the street when I saw a bovus. And then it hit me...I was hit by a bovus.
Have had the MP600 running perfectly fine since early this year. Have had the MP510 as my OS drive for years now. No issues with either, poo poo just works.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I gotta say I'm a huuuge fan of only using NVME drives after finishing building my pc with 3 NVME's. Not having to deal with SATA cables and the SATA power cables is sooo awesome.

I just need to hunt down a decently priced/reliable 4TB NVME for mass storage since apparently Canada has a serious lack of options for 4TB NVME drives.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
SATAs are nice for not having to worry about exhausting your limited m.2 slots.

I’ve got a decent board from two years ago, and I only have 1 slot left (out of 3).

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the power cables are so drat clunky to use, though, especially with modern case designs that aren't just one solid column of drives in a cage blocking all intake airflow

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yup, when I built my pc, connecting my SATA drives was maybe the biggest PITA of the process, because of the angles of the cabling.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

SATAs are nice for not having to worry about exhausting your limited m.2 slots.

I’ve got a decent board from two years ago, and I only have 1 slot left (out of 3).

if it's full ATX you can squeeze a few more drives into the PCIe slots you're probably not using

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

repiv posted:

if it's full ATX you can squeeze a few more drives into the PCIe slots you're probably not using
iirc, you just need to make sure your motherboard supports bifurcation for multiple drives in one pcie slot

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah one drive per slot is straightforward but to put multiple drives in a single slot requires bifurcation support (or a much too expensive carrier with a PLX switch)

consumer boards usually only have 4x and 1x slots aside from the GPU ones so those only have enough lanes for one drive anyway

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Agrajag posted:

I just need to hunt down a decently priced/reliable 4TB NVME for mass storage since apparently Canada has a serious lack of options for 4TB NVME drives.

Canada Computers has a 4TB SN850X for $425 and free shipping, which is one of the better deals I’ve seen lately.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_4229&item_id=226020

Now I’m wondering if my laptop needs an upgrade.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kliras posted:

the power cables are so drat clunky to use, though, especially with modern case designs that aren't just one solid column of drives in a cage blocking all intake airflow

With the way sata SSDs only take a couple of watts to run, someone should make a low-power string of sata power connectors for various modular PSUs.

Your normal power cable that comes with the PSU is clunky because they put thick 18 or 16 gauge wires on them to supply the max spec power, which is like 10 times more than a sata SSD needs. You could supply that with a little cable bundle not much bigger than the data cable just fine.

Subjunctive posted:

Canada Computers has a 4TB SN850X for $425 and free shipping, which is one of the better deals I’ve seen lately.

Heck of a premium over the 2TB, even in canada-bux.

It wasn't that long ago when 2TB was still charging extra for capacity, with prices well over double that of 1TB drives. I highly encourage anyone who doesn't really need the space right now to hold off buying a 4TB drive -- 2TB is the new standard so 4TB will be creeping down for the next year or two.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

repiv posted:

yeah one drive per slot is straightforward but to put multiple drives in a single slot requires bifurcation support (or a much too expensive carrier with a PLX switch)

consumer boards usually only have 4x and 1x slots aside from the GPU ones so those only have enough lanes for one drive anyway

Looks like that’s the case.

So just one extra nvme?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you could do two, technically, one in the x4 slot and one in the x1 slot but only the former would run at full speed

a drive running through the x1 slot would be bottlenecked to about 1GB/sec

repiv fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 8, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a typical use case for the x1 slot?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ethernet and wifi cards up to 2.5gig, and lower speed USB controller cards are usually only x1

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

Heck of a premium over the 2TB, even in canada-bux.

It wasn't that long ago when 2TB was still charging extra for capacity, with prices well over double that of 1TB drives. I highly encourage anyone who doesn't really need the space right now to hold off buying a 4TB drive -- 2TB is the new standard so 4TB will be creeping down for the next year or two.

Yeah, my brain disease means that I have a 4TB in my main desktop, but you’re right that patience will likely be rewarded here. Still, if you need 4TB now in Canada, I think that’s your best bet.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I just had a two year old Samsung 860 EVO die on me today. Any suggestions for a good replacement (SATA, 1 or 2 TB)?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Altared State posted:

I just had a two year old Samsung 860 EVO die on me today. Any suggestions for a good replacement (SATA, 1 or 2 TB)?

For a general-purpose SSD, whichever is cheapest in your region between a WD Blue, Crucial MX500, and Samsung 870 Evo (if the dead drive hasn't put you off).

If it's just a bulk storage drive, you could look at a Crucial BX500 or QVO.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Altared State posted:

any warning whatsoever?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Dunno about the rest of the world but that would definitely still be under warranty here.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
4TN sn850x is down to £244.99 on Amazon UK (-71%) which is basically in-line with the lowest it’s ever been.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I picked up a 4T WD SN850P ‘PS5’ edition for cheap. Going to put it in a compatible Mac. Just wanted to check first if there’s a firmware update for it before installing it into its final coffin. On the back it doesn’t have a factory firmware ID that I can see. The only relevant text on the sticker are ‘dom:16june2023’ and ‘rn:mlbsm0’

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Pvt. Parts posted:

any warning whatsoever?

The only thing that I can think of was sometimes certain games would have small freezes but it worked fine otherwise.

Black Griffon posted:

Dunno about the rest of the world but that would definitely still be under warranty here.

Yep it's still covered and I'm sending it in to see what they do. I still ordered a new drive because I don't know if I want to trust the Samsung one again.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Kerbtree posted:

4TN sn850x is down to £244.99 on Amazon UK (-71%) which is basically in-line with the lowest it’s ever been.

down to 310 bucks at Canada Computers i just picked one up after work

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Got back from Samsung Memory Day

I hope you fuckers are excited for QLC in phones

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

WhyteRyce posted:

:suicide:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm kinda shocked they weren't already? Phones are not a high write environment, and almost all your data is coming in at network speed.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

WhyteRyce posted:

Well, if the eu rules regarding replaceable batteries kick in as expected, they need something else to die in the phone to get you to buy a new one

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

why spec for 5 years endurance when people replace their phones after 3.5 years or less and new phones come out every year

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I read (a headline somewhere) there's an enormous loophole in the replaceable batteries thing where it doesn't apply if the battery can do 1000 cycles at 80+% capacity. That sounds like current battery tech to me, so I don't expect much to change.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

hug your nearest solidigm friend because they are doing mass layoffs right now

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

WhyteRyce posted:

hug your nearest solidigm friend because they are doing mass layoffs right now

drat what kind of %?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Not sure but they force retired some department head and force merged two disparate groups so they are probably doing a huge cull