Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

At what point are they losing money by running events on the road and are better off having a home base back at Daily's Place and only running PPVs on the road?

Taking a 20k seat arena, setting it up for a quarter of that at best, and then barely hitting half of that mark has to be a cash sink.

They probably are running at a loss for these arenas but not at a significant amount. The perception hit from "retreating" back to Daily's Place would be disastrous (and wouldn't even solve the problem. Jacksonville is a bad market). All signs indicate they're headed towards a big increase in their rights fees so they can afford to tour at a loss.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The easiest way to fix ticket sales is to have a hot product that people want to see

But try telling that to the guy on top right now

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Benne posted:

The easiest way to fix ticket sales is to have a hot product that people want to see

It's historically very difficult to compete as the #2 promotion when #1 is hot. Happens all the time throughout history.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

Benne posted:

i'd argue an easier way would be not to book venues that have 4:30pm start times on a weekday

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Cult of Pies posted:

i'd argue an easier way would be not to book venues that have 4:30pm start times on a weekday

I have some news for you both about what day it is and about how running a live show that airs at a specific time in an earlier time zone works.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Pylons posted:

It's historically very difficult to compete as the #2 promotion when #1 is hot. Happens all the time throughout history.

Is that due to the audience being somewhat niche and the monetary resources of that community?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

Is that due to the audience being somewhat niche and the monetary resources of that community?

To some degree. I think the problem is exacerbated by Collision as now there's roughly 4 touring "main brand" shows rotating around the country. If you have limited money (as many people in the US do) you're probably going to go to the hot show. Add onto that AEW leaving its honeymoon period, AEW's lack of a brand name compared to WWE, AEW's lack of marketing infrastructure compared to WWE, and the quality of WWE's product comparably to when AEW was the hot promotion, and it's little wonder that attendances are difficult right now.

If this was the 90s, AEW would be headed right into the ground, but the vast majority of revenue these days is in TV rights deals, and AEW is maintaining a valuable audience well enough to where they can get a sizable increase and *still* provide more value to WBD than, say, Smackdown did to Fox.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Cult of Pies posted:

Weird how this wasn't a problem until very recently

vivazomo
Nov 4, 2010
WWE shows end with John Cena, Cody Rhodes, and LA Knight teaming in a dark match. AEW shows end with Action Andretti & Darius Martin vs Cole Karter & Griff Garrison in match #12 of a ROH taping.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

vivazomo posted:

WWE shows end with John Cena, Cody Rhodes, and LA Knight teaming in a dark match. AEW shows end with Action Andretti & Darius Martin vs Cole Karter & Griff Garrison in match #12 of a ROH taping.

(The last match of the night was actually Drew McIntyre vs. Chad Gable)

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Benne posted:

They fired him

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Pylons posted:

and the quality of WWE's product comparably to when AEW was the hot promotion

ehhhhhhhhhhh this is really debatable

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

ehhhhhhhhhhh this is really debatable

I don't think it's super arguable that, at this point, the WWE product *is* what WWE fans want. The commonly quoted refrain of "WWE fans never wanted an alternative to WWE, they wanted a better WWE" rings true. WWE, to them, is better now, so they believe there's no need for AEW to exist. Trips has certainly booked some bad shows but nothing like, HIAC 2019 or Roman Reigns vs. Baron Corbin bad.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah the WWE product isn't good but it's hot with it's fans and it's drawing numbers and ratings so it's hot. Though some of the show in the future do seem to be having soft advances too so it looks like it may be cooling off

With the Arthur Ashe show moving decent tickets during the last week it show AEW can move tickets if it promotes the card and promotes big matches. AEW is gonna have to do more to sell tickets that have TV and announce 1 or 2 matches the week before the show

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I feel like the tickets being more expensive is also a big factor since they're doing the thing of fewer buys but better revenue apparently

Either way "it would be dead if it was the 90's" is just doomposting. So would a WWE that's hot by today's standards let's be real

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

vivazomo posted:

I'd much rather see the RoH stuff, personally, it's always very good

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Is it better for the wrestlers when live attendance and ticket sales are up? Do the big TV rights deals translate to bigger contracts for the wrestlers?

This is an interesting stretch for AEW. As mentioned earlier, the thrill of being the New Thing is gone. There are few big free agent signings they can make to get new folks watching. WWE is more popular than it's been in a while. But it's clear that, unless over half the AEW roster leaves, the actual wrestling in AEW will always be better. And they have a lot of goodwill still with fans and with wrestlers. And of course they have a nearly infinite amount of cash backing them.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

AEW is also way better able to get it's fan base to actually spend money on stuff and PPV's something that TNA couldn't do and well TNA is still around

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

apophenium posted:

Is it better for the wrestlers when live attendance and ticket sales are up? Do the big TV rights deals translate to bigger contracts for the wrestlers?

That's super important question. I remember not that long ago people saying AEW getting a rights bump would mean money they can spend on bigger contracts

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pylons posted:

(The last match of the night was actually Drew McIntyre vs. Chad Gable)

That still sounds better than that ROH match, Drew and Gable are both really good!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

That still sounds better than that ROH match, Drew and Gable are both really good!

It was probably fine but I'm sure not seeing anyone talk about it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Wrong thread my bad

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think aew needs to book more marquee MATCHES on their tv, not just Jon Moxley Will Appear or Eddie Kingston will face kip sabian, just every once in a while give us a Big Match that might make fans buy a ticket or make someone decide its worth tuning in instead of watching alcorn state play at 5pm on espn. im sure that Hangman Page vs Daddy Magic will be a fun good match but sometimes you just bite the bullet and give us Chris Jericho vs Jay White on a saturday.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I mean, did "Adam Copeland will appear" help move tickets for this week's shows? Have a lot of tickets for Title Tuesday moved since Adam Copeland v. Luchasaurus was announced? Maybe those kinds of debut things aren't in the same category as like a storyline kinda big match deal.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I do think big matches on TV would help move tickets, but that's only my theory based on how well the PPVs tend to do

But obviously they have to strike a balance since they're selling PPVs and not just peacock subscriptions

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If they don't want to increase the amount of big matches on TV cause of PPV, (Which I get why they'd want to do that given PPV is a big part of their business) than they might want to look at doing maybe 1-2 big matches as dark matches for the local markets to try and move tickets.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Benne posted:

☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
just make the product hot*

*100% of wrestling promoters in history have at some point failed to do this for years on end

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Somehow I doubt ticket sales for their weekly shows would improve even if Tony booked each show like the PPVs.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Somehow I doubt ticket sales for their weekly shows would improve even if Tony booked each show like the PPVs.
i disagree

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I don't really think booking 2 shows a week like PPVs is sustainable or really all that impactful. Dave has said a lot that it's the build to matches that draws crowds, typically not the matches themselves.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Pylons posted:

I don't really think booking 2 shows a week like PPVs is sustainable or really all that impactful. Dave has said a lot that it's the build to matches that draws crowds, typically not the matches themselves.

unfortunately AEW is not too good at build, but very good at PPV matches. How many time has someone said this looked like a nothing card but wow did they prove me wrong

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

i think they should advertise that the guys people like are going to be wrestling on the shows

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Ivypls posted:

i think they should advertise that the guys people like are going to be wrestling on the shows

They do that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think having 4(?) PPVs in the span of like...2, 2 and a half months has exhausted everyone on both sides of the screen.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

I think having 4(?) PPVs in the span of like...2, 2 and a half months has exhausted everyone on both sides of the screen.

I don't think that's really the case.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Pylons posted:

They do that.

They've always been very bad at advertising in local markets. The recent NYC show was the first big local media push I've seen in quite a while.

When they've come to Texas I rarely see anything about it, at least compared to the media blitz wwe has done in the past.

Personally, I got every time I can no matter who is on the card. I doubt I'm the person they need to target though, obviously.

Pylons posted:

I don't think that's really the case.

It might exhaust the freaks that fly to every show like deadheads. I doubt it effects people attending local shows if they aren't the type to travel. Ticket prices likely have a greater effect than ppv frequency, especially with how high service fees are. The cheap tickets might be $25, but it's more than double that after fees and parking.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If I've spent $150 in two months on a wrestling product and then they come to my town for a live show, the idea of spending another $100+ on tickets, parking, merch, and whatever food/drink would cause me pause.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shinjobi posted:

If I've spent $150 in two months on a wrestling product and then they come to my town for a live show, the idea of spending another $100+ on tickets, parking, merch, and whatever food/drink would cause me pause.

What if you replace "wrestling product" with "thing that you enjoy enough to spend up to ten hours hours in a week watching, not counting the time spent following it in general"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

thats basically where im at when it comes to trying to follow AEW. i would like to watch all of the shows but between football, hockey starting back up, survivor, going out to the movies on fridays, there just isn't a whole lot of free time or money for me to dedicate to wrestling outside of most wednesdays (since dynamite is established as the important show where the big stuff happens) and the PPVs. this year has been tougher since we are on track to hit 10 straight months of PPVs between AEW and ROH so i have started to have to pick and choose just from a budget standpoint. Creating more product makes sense when you're a growing company but it at least for me makes it tougher to stay invested since im having to miss out on a lot of the stuff they offer compared to how things were run before.