Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

whoops wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

fuctifino posted:

A twitter troll friend has made a marvelous banner and profile picture if any of you wish to rile up a certain demographic:

https://twitter.com/chai_ste/status/1710729447995793584

This is poo poo. I don’t think memeing a Palestinian flag off the back of a bunch of civilians getting murdered is going to do anything but backfire.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Name/Av/Msg combo

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I can't believe the woke left has made a meme about the first time in history that terrorist violence has happened in Israel or Palestine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
At least the real Captain Tom only took part in the Burma Campaign, historically known for being completely devoid of atrocities against civilians.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Mesopotamia posted:

This is poo poo. I don’t think memeing a Palestinian flag off the back of a bunch of civilians getting murdered is going to do anything but backfire.

Backfire like 56 years of occupation or like eating a pizza you've left out the fridge for three days?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'd better not post one of their recent Queen memes either

https://twitter.com/wrb91/status/1710416922142019892

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

According to Al-Jazeera the specific casus belli was allowing Jewish tourists into the Al-Aqsa mosque over the holidays, whereas you would think it would be the indignities and cruelty of the occupation.

I’m not sure what the decision making process is that leads to someone thinking “let’s infiltrate our militarily powerful occupier, murder a couple of hundred people and take hostages, surely this will end well.” There must be some kind of best case outcome Hamas leadership has in mind but I can’t fathom it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're being killed slowly anyway then a lot of stuff starts to seem better than doing nothing, even if it's all hopeless.

I can't know the inside of other people's heads but simple vengeful retaliation is a very human thing to desire after enough misery.

I guess in theory it might just make the Israelis feel unsafe enough to not want to risk further settlement attempts. Gonna be a harder sell to people if you might just get murdered for being there.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 8, 2023

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I agree that nothing materiallly positive or constructive is going to come of this - Hamas will get a political boost for its initial successes, and Palestinian civilians brutalised by decades of oppression will get a morale boost by seeing their oppressors suffer too.

I'm saying his from the luxury of the UK of course, but its hard to see that as being 'worth' the deaths of Israeli civilians today, or the inevitable revenge attacks that will kill tenfold (at least!) more Palestinian civilians.

But honestly I find it difficult to judge them. If you're losing the peace - as Palestinians have been for decades - what option do you really have but to strike back in whatever way you can?

The only hope is that this shocks the Israeli state enough that it finally gets rid of Bibi (security is his thing, and they were caught with their pants down on his watch), and that eventually it somehow contributes to Israel realising a military solution in the age of cheap rockets and cheaper drones just isn't sustainable.

But i'm not hopeful at all. It sucks all round. But its not like things started sucking today.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It would be nice if it resulted in Israel not speedrunning fascism but I don’t see it. If anything the opposite seems likely: Bibi using this to say “see, I was right all along, the Other really does want to come into your house and kill you or worse and it’s just those pesky judges / opposition politicians who are preventing us from keeping you really safe.”

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Monica Bellucci posted:

Dan just means level.

In my day news, I completed my Saturday longsword fighting thingy. A very surprising amount of it has you holding said sword above or beside your head so my shoulders are going to exact T-Rex arms vengeance tomorrow. Enjoyed it immensely.

That said, I got home and enjoyed an egg salad sambo and McCoy's flame grilled crisps, along with a tasty Sierra Nevada. In a bit I am going to smoke a bowl, put the wash on and raise a glass of Woodford bourbon to Camrath.

Think i might just do the same. It's got me down recently how the best seem to die young, partially for being on an Iain M Banks run of books at the moment. The best are dying or lack conviction and the worst are full of a fiery passion, but I do feel like the worm may be turning a little. I don't know it's 3am and obviously I'm fulll of intoxicants but I do feel like the younger gen (and I mean under 35 or so) are generally quite good, and there are good folks out there. I know we get on at NJAN for his silly house and truculence but 30 years ago I think it would be far less likely that a man in his position would be as he is which, let's admit it, is basically quite a nice and good person (despite being a bit of a dick, which I defo also am, hence writing this post). Anywa, nice to know you all. It was my dad deathiversary this week and I had a big bender-shaped collapse but it's weird how having this parasocial community and posting about breakfasts actually helped with that. So big thanks foor that.

Also we always talk about the awful terrible new posters (CrystalPENIS), and the truculuent difficult ones who've not yet got our impeccable thread etiquette (Rugz, Dreddymat!!!), but we never mention the lurkers out of hiding like MonicaBelluci who if I'm not wrong has only just started posting? So welcome to you MB, and all other lurkers. You're entering an actually weirdly lovely community. I'm going to be so embrassed when I read this tomorrow but love u goooooonzzzz

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You said truculent twice in that post. I let it go the first time but when you said it a second time you forced me to look it up. So now I know a new word.

What Ian m banks book are you on atm?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/maoskyist/status/1710701473879732604?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Osborne blithely admitting he and Cameron went to pool parties at Murdoch’s house to kiss rear end

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Beefeater1980 posted:

It would be nice if it resulted in Israel not speedrunning fascism but I don’t see it. If anything the opposite seems likely: Bibi using this to say “see, I was right all along, the Other really does want to come into your house and kill you or worse and it’s just those pesky judges / opposition politicians who are preventing us from keeping you really safe.”

To me it shows an Israel all out of ideas and stuck in a dead end. The Occupation does not ensure security for Israel - quite the opposite - but their racism and fascism precludes them from doing or trying anything else: treating the Palestininans as equal human beings is literally unthinkable for them. So all that's left is the tired, failed counter of hitting back even harder, in the hope that this time, the Palestinians will be left so bloody and demoralised that they'll finally accept their lives of permanent oppression. It won't work, it's never worked but Israel is so constituted that they simply can't formulate any other response.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think it’s a sign of how far my expectations have fallen that I am pleased she didn’t immediately say “yes, of course we need to do more for landlords, quite right, quite right, honest working class lads that they are, they deserve our sympathy”

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
please dont use the word truculent it just brings back painful truck memories

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Hammer_On_X/status/1710938345163890830

:allears:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 8, 2023

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

TruckULEZ, furiously driving my small business to the crusher because of Sadiq Khan

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1710934231063433653

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1710938753420628130

Keith is keithing

e: balanced out with a bit of tory https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1710943051818893536

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 8, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Didn't he say a while ago he wasn't going to reverse it, or was that my imagination?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Didn't he say a while ago he wasn't going to reverse it, or was that my imagination?

I think he was sitting on the fence for a long time, and implied he was pro

https://twitter.com/inselratte/status/1547619978051928067

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Ha Ha Ha

https://twitter.com/adambienkov/status/1710939845105692995?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Jakabite posted:

Also we always talk about the awful terrible new posters (CrystalPENIS), and the truculuent difficult ones who've not yet got our impeccable thread etiquette (Rugz, Dreddymat!!!), but we never mention the lurkers out of hiding like MonicaBelluci who if I'm not wrong has only just started posting? So welcome to you MB, and all other lurkers. You're entering an actually weirdly lovely community. I'm going to be so embrassed when I read this tomorrow but love u goooooonzzzz

Hello back. I was asked how come sword fighty and my response of "Basically Nasir. There were always fights on the playground as to who got to be him at lunch" met with a solid nod of the head.

Also - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvzDCuq18R8

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Backfire like 56 years of occupation or like eating a pizza you've left out the fridge for three days?

Backfire like Netanyahu wiping out tens of thousands of innocent civilians over the next month.

I can get they are probably feeling desperate because there has been a general sense the last few years of Israel turning the screw and feeling confident they can do whatever, but this feels like a massive misstep by Hamas.

Certainly shooting up a loving rave is just a straight up crime.

Edit: Regardless, my point was more “here’s how to use this situation as ammo in some tedious 2017 style Twitter culture war” is real bottom tier poo poo.

Mesopotamia fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 8, 2023

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mesopotamia posted:

the last few years

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What's the charge? Making a post? A truculent spicy post?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MichaelTakeMP/status/1710913790684942675

e: a shitposting twitter friend has just made this

https://twitter.com/chai_ste/status/1710959411600982302

It sounds so believable. lol

e2: loving some of the replies https://twitter.com/leo_hutz/status/1710942166875303950

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 8, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Just a bunch of spunked up lads feeding each other beans.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

lol @ "Working class" somehow being the one thing that manages to get through a little bit. his father was a toolmaker dontchaknow

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

To me it shows an Israel all out of ideas and stuck in a dead end. The Occupation does not ensure security for Israel - quite the opposite - but their racism and fascism precludes them from doing or trying anything else: treating the Palestininans as equal human beings is literally unthinkable for them.
I just wonder what happens when they run out of Gaza to occupy. Will they continue expanding 'neutral zones' into other Palestinian territory? Into other countries? Where does this end?

It's absolutely incredible seeing the same people who were standing with brave Ukraine against the evil expansionist Russia, who are now siding with poor smol Israel and think the situation is the same.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Check out this oval office

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1710929836049338817

It's like he's talking about himself

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's absolutely incredible seeing the same people who were standing with brave Ukraine against the evil expansionist Russia, who are now siding with poor smol Israel and think the situation is the same.

The brain worms in some people are incredible in the other threads. It's possible to agree that Palestine and Gaza have a right to defend themselves and retake occupied territory at the same time as holding the view that slaughtering innocent civilians is bad. I've had to nope out of the SA threads for now.... :/

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 8, 2023

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Angepain posted:

lol @ "Working class" somehow being the one thing that manages to get through a little bit. his father was a toolmaker dontchaknow

Whenever I need to starmer my kiefs I say a prayer in his name

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
What, Keith Spineless boil the mince?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Angepain posted:

To quote (or paraphrase) another bastion of centrist liberal politics: "You can't fault the man for having a winning strategy".
The reason he's been banging on about it for the last couple of years is to get it into the heads of people who don't spend hours reading up on politics every week. Good for him if it's working.

Of course, assuming his plan in government is what we all expect, being "working class" will do gently caress-all to stop him being booted out of office after five years.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
rishi and kier should take it in turns to stand on each others shoulders with a big coat

appear statesmen like on the global stage

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Beefeater1980 posted:

Hamas murdering and kidnapping a bunch of civilians (including a bunch of kids and a pregnant woman) has Bibi toasting champagne in his bathtub as he uses this to proceed to destroy what's left of Israeli democracy. Hamas is doing this to derail what was looking like a tentative diplomatic approach to improving things with Saudi Arabia. This is a complete poo poo show all round.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tigey posted:

The only hope is that this shocks the Israeli state enough that it finally gets rid of Bibi (security is his thing, and they were caught with their pants down on his watch)

I direct you to the immediate after effects of 9-11 on one George W. Bush in the US.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

feedmegin posted:

Hamas is doing this to derail what was looking like a tentative diplomatic approach to improving things with Saudi Arabia. This is a complete poo poo show all round.

That would mean they planned and executed this in like 6 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

That would mean they planned and executed this in like 6 weeks.

No? They could have had this planned for years, ready to trigger on <x> event and this is the event.

Their claimed casus belli is some kind of ultra-Orthodox 'Talmudic ceremonies' in al-Aqsa Mosque like a month ago, after all, which is about the same timeframe.