Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Kith posted:

this is bullshit. pootin is very clever and funny to say and should be allowed because he's a real piece of poo poo.

Sorry let me clarify, I was specifically speaking of the I/P conflict. You're free to call him Badimir Poopin or anything else in that vein.

Der Kyhe posted:

What the hell, my question was sincere. I am not a sophisticated goon but if I were an rear end in a top hat dictator running a losing war, this would be an early Xmas present to me. I really think that this development is going to be harmful to the Ukrainian war effort, less visibility plays directly to the Russian hand. Less screen time, less general support in the West as the general public has the memory of a gold fish.

My post was not in direct response to yours. What I was trying to say is that as long as it actually relates to the conflict in Ukraine then discussion of Israel is not grounds for immediate punishment.

HOWEVER I do want to keep this at a minimum if possible because any mention of Israel or Palestine just opens the door to further derails.

I do agree with you that a big newsworthy conflict elsewhere could play to Russia's hand in regards to support for Ukraine. I don't think it's going to change the situation much in regards to the nations that are currently funding and supporting Ukraine's defense though. The public at large I think is already paying attention to things other than the Russian invasion. We will see as time goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

loving badmir poopin

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

loving badmir poopin

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Putin sits on the toilet. Shits. Only then does he remember to take his pants off. Blyat. Such is life.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Apparently Kherson came under bombardment today.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

loving badmir poopin

Burns
May 10, 2008

The Russians have been trying to stir poo poo up everywhere for months. Its what they do.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
What the gently caress makes you think this was orchestrated by Russia.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

What the gently caress makes you think this was orchestrated by Russia.

I guess try reading the post again, it pretty clearly lays out a way that Russia could benefit from this occurring.

Der Kyhe posted:

What's the over/under that this was somehow orchestrated by Russia and its supporters in Arab countries upping their back channel support to Hamas to steer the international attention and potentially help, away from the war in Ukraine?

The fact that this happens just after Slovakia withdrew from helping Ukraine and Poland having a close election cannot be a coincidence.

I don't think it's especially likely. It's not totally implausible that Russia could lean on Iran could lean on Hamas, but afaik both Iran/Hamas are already intrinsically motivated to arrange this. As catastrophically as they often misread the West, I don't think Russia really believes that Israel-Palestine heating up would actually interfere with M30A1 (or other) deliveries to Ukraine.
usual no expertise disclaimers, though.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
This is now a Sudanese civil war thread and anyone who disagrees is a filthy lib

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
My wife's cousin is a Bills fan but his wife is a Dolphins fan. This thread is now about the Civil War in their house.

How could Putin do this?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

This is MY war thread. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

tiaz posted:

I guess try reading the post again, it pretty clearly lays out a way that Russia could benefit from this occurring.

I don't think it's especially likely. It's not totally implausible that Russia could lean on Iran could lean on Hamas, but afaik both Iran/Hamas are already intrinsically motivated to arrange this. As catastrophically as they often misread the West, I don't think Russia really believes that Israel-Palestine heating up would actually interfere with M30A1 (or other) deliveries to Ukraine.
usual no expertise disclaimers, though.

It's still a really bad post, that's not how over/under works!

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Issaries posted:

Let the thread heal:

Why do dictators horses always have Sexy waifu hair?

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Moktaro posted:

It's still a really bad post, that's not how over/under works!

I only know the saying, so uh ... how ... does over/under work?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

BrassRoots posted:

Because the horses are the dominant ones in the relationship? :stare:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

BrassRoots posted:

Skyrim modding gone too far

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

tiaz posted:

A point is picked for something to be over or under, and a bet is placed on it either being over said point or under.

Like days until Twitter fails over/under 200. The goal being to set the value at the most likely outcome.

Also War Bad. (Plz don't prob me)

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I hear some poo poo was going down in the middle east anyone know anything about that it?????

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
No, no one does.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Nooner posted:

I hear some poo poo was going down in the middle east anyone know anything about that it?????
What, like, Poland? Slovakia?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What's the over/under on Perun having to do a non-Ukraine vid next week because of recent events?

Also, am I bad for wanting Perun to team up with SteveMRE to compare and contrast how soldiers are fed in the field?

(The answer to that last question is no, it's obviously on everyone's mind)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

RandomPauI posted:

What's the over/under on Perun having to do a non-Ukraine vid next week because of recent events?

you're supposed to ask a quantitative

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

War Wizard posted:

A point is picked for something to be over or under, and a bet is placed on it either being over said point or under.

Like days until Twitter fails over/under 200. The goal being to set the value at the most likely outcome.

You only get probed for War Bad if you're saying that war (to defend yourself from genocide) is bad, while war (to genocide someone) is good.

tiaz posted:

Goons so intentionally bad at gambling that they have no idea what they're even saying.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

RandomPauI posted:

1.5 cummies

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

weg posted:

HOWEVER I do want to keep this at a minimum if possible because any mention of Israel or Palestine just opens the door to further derails.

I do agree with you that a big newsworthy conflict elsewhere could play to Russia's hand in regards to support for Ukraine.

And it appears that this is in fact what they are already planning on. ISW reporting:

quote:

The Kremlin is already and will likely continue to exploit the Hamas attacks in Israel to advance several information operations intended to reduce US and Western support and attention to Ukraine. The Kremlin amplified several information operations following Hamas attacks in Israel on October 7, primarily blaming the West for neglecting conflicts in the Middle East in favor of supporting Ukraine and claiming the international community will cease to pay attention to Ukraine by portraying attention to the Middle East or alternatively Ukraine as a zero-sum comparison. Deputy Chairman of the Russian Security Council Dmitry Medvedev claimed the United States and its allies should have been “busy with” working on “Palestinian-Israeli settlement” rather than “interfering” with Russia and providing Ukraine with military aid.[1] The Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) accused the West of blocking efforts by a necessary “quartet” of Russia, the US, the European Union, and the United Nations, leading to an escalation in violence, implicitly blaming the West for the current fighting.[2] Prominent Russian propagandist Sergei Mardan directly stated that Russia will benefit from the escalation as the world “will take its mind off Ukraine for a while and get busy once again putting out the eternal fire in the Middle East.”[3] These Kremlin narratives target Western audiences to drive a wedge in military support for Ukraine, seek to demoralize Ukrainian society by claiming Ukraine will lose international support, and intend to reassure Russian domestic audiences that the international society will ignore Ukraine’s war effort.

Several key sources within the Russian information space shifted the focus of their daily coverage to the situation in Israel on October 7, which may impact the information environment around the war in Ukraine in the coming days or weeks. Many Russian milbloggers focused largely on the Hamas attacks in Israel on October 7, and some promoted Kremlin information operations by claiming that the West’s attention has shifted away from Ukraine and towards Israel.[4] This focus on Israel even prompted one Russian milblogger to urge others to not “forget” about the war in Ukraine.[5] ISW cannot forecast at this time how the source environment will change as the Hamas attacks in Israel unfold but will provide clear updates on any impact on ISW’s ability to collect from Russian milbloggers and geolocation sources, and subsequent effects on the detail available ISW can provide in these daily assessments.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

War Wizard posted:

Thank you! I will deploy that saying correctly from now on.

Nooner posted:

I am reliably informed that war is bad, so it's bad that it's happening there as well.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Karate Bastard posted:

And what's the deal with "the Ukraine"? Even the Reporting from Ukraine guy says "the Ukraine", doesn't he? And he's from Mykolaiv. It would be very hard to describe him as someone who minimizes Ukrainians.

Karate Bastard posted:

Ok, coulda swore.

Sorry to retread, but he totally does. Not always, but in his ending spiel he often says "If you're against the invasion of the Ukraine ...", for example here, starts at 4:22 if it doesn't take you there automatically.

It can totally be that poo poo heads like to say "the ukraine" a lot, but if Ukrainian people who are under missile fire and are doing war reporting with a Ukrainian slant to it are phrasing it like that themselves from time to time, then maybe it isn't that big of a deal?

I hate it when poo poo heads make dog whistles out of words and expressions that are absolutely inoffensive in and of themselves, which of course they do, because what else should they make them of? Can't be sieging the heil all day now can they? Be easier if they did tho

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Karate Bastard posted:

Sorry to retread, but he totally does. Not always, but in his ending spiel he often says "If you're against the invasion of the Ukraine ...", for example here, starts at 4:22 if it doesn't take you there automatically.

He definitely doesn't say it there. He says "If you're against the invasion of Ukraine".

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Karate Bastard posted:

No, he doesn't.

quote:

It can totally be that poo poo heads like to say "the ukraine" a lot, but if Ukrainian people who are under missile fire and are doing war reporting with a Ukrainian slant to it are phrasing it like that themselves from time to time, then maybe it isn't that big of a deal?
Why are you making a big deal out of it though? Is saying "the Ukraine" important to you? Why?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

spankmeister posted:

No, he doesn't.

Correct. He does NOT say "the Ukraine". I've been following that channel for months and I don't believe he's ever said "the Ukraine".

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What, you guys aren't hearing it?

I guess my ears are bust then :shrug:

It's not important to me, and I don't say it, but I keep hearing it from people who I wouldn't expect to say it if it was a serious no no, like in the clip above, which you guys aren't hearing. And that makes me confused. When I'm confused I want to know, and that's what's important to me. Saying "the" isn't.

My ears being poo poo is one possible answer to why I'm hearing things.

Am I seriously the only one hearing it? I feel like I'm on crazy pills

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 8, 2023

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Karate Bastard posted:

It's not important to me, and I don't say it, but I keep hearing it from people who I wouldn't expect to say it if it was a serious no no, like in the clip above, which you guys aren't hearing. And that makes me confused. When I'm confused I want to know, and that's what's important to me. Saying "the" isn't.

Time for bed

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I guess, gently caress

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Karate Bastard posted:

Try slowing down the video. You are in fact imagining it.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh maybe it's an accent thing. That would probably explain it. I read it out like "You crane" in my head, and when other people pronounce it "EU crane" I hear a "the" in front which they didn't actually say.

Well poo poo. Consider me corrected.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks guys

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

This is how I imagine george bush saying it.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Oh, no. That says “The, Kraine, The.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

put me down as a +1 for hearing "the ukraine, the. your loved ones have been replaced by changelings. only fire can set them free" not just in that video but also when driving my so-called children to school