Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

bone emulator posted:

I guess this is the place to ask this?

The thing I'm looking for is basically a Jellyfin or Plex (or whatever is the good one, I use Jellyfin now) server for use on a local network, that is cost effective and quiet and that I can also use to store and serve legally acquired romsets to my various retro junk.

While certainly not a fan of the community, I have been a fan of serverbuilds actual builds and they just came out with a new "NAS Killer 6.0" build that looks pretty solid. https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-nas-killer-6-0-ddr4-is-finally-cheap/13956
About ~$375 before storage

Since it's local only you could also consider a jankier and cheaper option, a quicksync capable laptop and some attached external drives. Here's a somewhat random example also stolen from serverbuilds tech deals. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...1-53200-19255-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
That serverbuilds guide recommends an HBA. If you're just doing a simple four disk thing using software raid like zfs/btrfs/mdadm then do actually need that?

I was thinking of getting a synology ds423 (about €450 here) but a friend is suggesting I could build my own for similar or less. Not sure I really want to bother with all that but w/e.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

other people posted:

That serverbuilds guide recommends an HBA. If you're just doing a simple four disk thing using software raid like zfs/btrfs/mdadm then do actually need that?

I was thinking of getting a synology ds423 (about €450 here) but a friend is suggesting I could build my own for similar or less. Not sure I really want to bother with all that but w/e.

I started with us Synology, and it worked great. I have owned three in total and built two Unraid systems in a TrueNAS system. So the real risk is you might accidentally pick it up as a hobby. But for just file serving and even some light Plex, they’re great.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I want a server that runs TrueNAS Core, rtorrent 200-400 torrents at a time, Plex 2-4 users. On 24/7, 6-8 hard drives, and minimizing power usage.

Going to wait until Intel 14th gen, that should be out in a month or two? i3 or i5 with integrated graphics and 32gb RAM should be good?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

THF13 posted:

While certainly not a fan of the community, I have been a fan of serverbuilds actual builds and they just came out with a new "NAS Killer 6.0" build that looks pretty solid. https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-nas-killer-6-0-ddr4-is-finally-cheap/13956
About ~$375 before storage

Since it's local only you could also consider a jankier and cheaper option, a quicksync capable laptop and some attached external drives. Here's a somewhat random example also stolen from serverbuilds tech deals. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...1-53200-19255-0

It is kinda weird that they recommend buying so much stuff from ebay. And unfortunately for me those US prices are no where close to what I would pay in the EU, even via ebay. For example, that supermicro motherboard they list at $100 is over €400 from the only euro seller. And I can't even find anyone selling that i5 cpu.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That is only suitable for US builders. And I have some serious misgivings about several recommendations they make.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

other people posted:

No, you can realistically use any controller the OS supports - it's JBOD from a hardware perspective. Older controllers that precede SSDs being commonplace may not have the IOPS to use them optimally but that's more likely to be a problem with a PCIe 2 HBA than chipset SATA unless you're using a very old platform, and it won't be a problem either way if you're using HDDs.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 9, 2023

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

other people posted:

If you're not using more drives than you have SATA ports on your board and aren't using a chassis that has a SAS backplane then yeah, you can skip the HBA for the initial build and use that budget elsewhere. I would say that it's good to keep in mind that you might need one later if you expand your array, so that when you start to fill up your PCIe slots with other sorts of cards you keep at least an x4 reserved for this.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
If you're hitting the IOPS limit of a PCIe 2.0 HBA in a home lab, you're in a pretty decent spot regardless

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Okay so a Synology DS423 is €437.

Or I can put together:

Core i3-12100 € 109,90
SilverStone SST-NT09-1700 CPU fan € 18,49
ASRock H610M-ITX/ac motherboard € 134,90
G.Skill Aegis F4-3200C16D-16GIS 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 € 41,29
SilverStone ST50F-ES230 PSU € 45,79
Jonsbo N1 Mini-ITX case € 115,50

For a total of €465.87. And maybe €50 more for unRAID? And some SATA cables, and who knows what else. Thermal paste?

That is the cheapest mini ITX motherboard I could find with 4 SATA ports. Anything with more ports is at least twice as much.

I would love to spend less by getting older cpu/mb but they don't actually seem to cost any less unless they are used. And then you don't get nice USB 3.2 ports, etc.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Wouldn't a custom build give you more flexibility? In ... everything: OS/software, future expansion? Get a case with more drive slots (not now, in the future), put there more drives? Wouldn't an i3-12100 be faster than Realtek RTD1619B (it's not really apples to apples since one is x86 and the other is ARM, but still)?

What you would get with Synology is lower power usage, though.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I wouldn't spend much more money for a board with more ports anyway if you are going to have the PCIe slot free - just put a SATA/SAS controller in the slot.

Volguus posted:

What you would get with Synology is lower power usage, though.

A little, but not much with a modern platform. I haven't tested Alder Lake but my i5-10400 Plex server uses <10W at idle. If it's going to spend much time not idling, then you'll want a faster CPU anyway.

bone emulator posted:

I guess this is the place to ask this?

The thing I'm looking for is basically a Jellyfin or Plex (or whatever is the good one, I use Jellyfin now) server for use on a local network, that is cost effective and quiet and that I can also use to store and serve legally acquired romsets to my various retro junk.

If you're adding both a NAS and a Plex server, you should consider whether you want them to be the same system or not. It's simpler in a configuration sense to make them separate, since you can use an appliance OS like Unraid/TrueNAS for the NAS and then Plex set up on top of basic Ubuntu/Fedora/even Windows. Hardware requirements are looser - the NAS doesn't need a hardware encoder or enough CPU to do it in software, and the Plex server doesn't need drive bays.

However, if you want to either set up the NAS services manually on a Plex-capable OS or set at least one of the two up on a VM then it's possible to do them both in the same machine. I recently helped a friend do this by first installing TrueNAS on an old Dell workstation, then using it to host a Windows VM with a Plex server and passed-through GPU. You could do it the other way - Plex on the host, pass through an HBA to a TrueNAS VM. You could even put both on VMs, assuming you have either enough slots for both cards or enough CPU to not need hardware encoding. TrueNAS has a Plex app too, so that might be an easier way of doing both in the bare-metal OS but I don't have any experience with using it.

All of this is probably true for Jellyfin vs. Plex and possibly Unraid vs. TrueNAS just as much, but I have no experience with the alternatives.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 9, 2023

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I'm currently building my new NAS (8 drives). Previously I've used Ubuntu with ZFS for NAS purposes as I like to be able to configure and run whatever on there rather than relying on some particular NAS OS having support for what I feel like doing any given day.

I'm seeing a lot of people happy with unraid though. My requirements are NFS (to back VM storage for esxi), SMB, *arr apps, a standard Linux environment etc. Am I likely to enjoy unraid or something similar?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'd keep using Ubuntu with ZFS, with a separate (md)raid1 of NVMe drives for hosting VMs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Same except ZFS instead of mdraid because why not?

The only reason I don't boot Ubuntu from ZFS is because doing so is a nightmare. I'd love to have my boot drive on a mirror.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I read a thing about zvol performance regressing in later versions, with write amplification etc., that's why I figured a separate mdraid1 with NVMe drives would be more suitable.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wibla posted:

That is only suitable for US builders. And I have some serious misgivings about several recommendations they make.

You are gonna have more than misgivings when I share with you this frankenNAS I'm starting to piece together.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Same except ZFS instead of mdraid because why not?

The only reason I don't boot Ubuntu from ZFS is because doing so is a nightmare. I'd love to have my boot drive on a mirror.
FreeBSDs standard boot loader should be able to handle Linux' kload mechanism nowadays, and it also natively understands the ZFS filesystem.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
ZFSBootMenu is quite nice, was using it before my hobby computer went into a drawer to collect dust.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FreeBSDs standard loader does all that, and also supports Illumos, and I think it even supports ZFS native encryption.

Biggest oversight for ZFSBootMenu is that it doesn’t do temporary boot environments, which is when a flag is set before doing any system maintenance, and if it fails, you can just power cycle the system to get back to a working system.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Keito posted:

ZFSBootMenu is quite nice, was using it before my hobby computer went into a drawer to collect dust.

Huh. Well, time to pick up another m.2 SATA SSD and get to playing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Little discount on a couple of synology units due to prime day:

Synology 5-bay DiskStation DS1522+ (Diskless),Black
-15% $594.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B4DFBRZV

Synology 2-Bay DiskStation DS223j (Diskless)
-18% $154.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C8814GKB

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm going to be upgrading my current setup to a "new" old system I've had laying around. I'm going to be rolling out TrueNAS. The system is going to be mostly serving files and Plex/'arrs. Am I better off using Scale or Core? I'm more familiar with linux than I am using BSD setups.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Scale is fine.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

calandryll posted:

I'm going to be upgrading my current setup to a "new" old system I've had laying around. I'm going to be rolling out TrueNAS. The system is going to be mostly serving files and Plex/'arrs. Am I better off using Scale or Core? I'm more familiar with linux than I am using BSD setups.

Core has been around longer and more tried-and-true. If you need Docker though go with Scale. Plex/arrs work just fine in jails on core too, so the Docker bit is more to do with how you want to manage them.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I migrated from Core to Scale early this year, zero issues or complaints

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Moey posted:

I migrated from Core to Scale early this year, zero issues or complaints

How do you like it? I keep waiting for some mythical point of no return when I'll decide to go from proxmox to scale.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Thanks for the feedback. I'll toss Scale on it and worst case if I don't like Scale, I can just import the pool for Core.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
FYI, if you intend to use it largely as high performance file server and expect Scale to use all your RAM out of the box for caching, it’s limited to 50% by default, to avoid potential issues with Linux’ memory allocator. Something about memory fragmentation. Personally I fared well so far with ~80% (ARC limited to 52 of 64GB, may differ with less RAM). iX is working on improving this issue, initially targeted for Cobia, but it slipped to the next release.

Core doesn’t have any of these issues.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is there any way to get a supermicro x11ssh to go up to 128gb? I assumed that 64gb was just what was validated at the time of release but no, it seems to actually enforce the spec properly and there doesn’t seem to be an override setting :shepface:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

FYI, if you intend to use it largely as high performance file server and expect Scale to use all your RAM out of the box for caching, it’s limited to 50% by default, to avoid potential issues with Linux’ memory allocator.
:rubby:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
NAS/Storage Megathread: TrueNAS Core doesn’t have any of these issues.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

NAS/Storage Megathread: Have you considered FreeBSD?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is there any way to get a supermicro x11ssh to go up to 128gb? I assumed that 64gb was just what was validated at the time of release but no, it seems to actually enforce the spec properly and there doesn’t seem to be an override setting :shepface:

No, that's a platform limitation.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I have an Intel 2600k collecting dust. Is it a waste of time to turn it into some kind of home NAS/Plex server, as described on my last question?

Only gpu I got left for it is a GeForce 650 or something, I forget the exact model.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
No, at least for the NAS portion a 2600K is more than adequate. Until earlier this year I was running Rocky Linux with a couple of ZFS pools, Samba, and torrents on a Xeon from the previous generation (L3426) and it pretty much idled all the time. I only upgraded because I wanted more I/O options.

As far as Plex goes, a 2600K is fast enough for Direct Play easily and it could probably handle a stream or two with software transcoding. I think that while the Sandy Bridge IGP technically has Quick Sync, it's the very first generation so both quality and performance are reputed to be bad enough that you probably will not want to use it for transcoding. However, if the CPU approach isn't good enough you still have the option to get a cheap Pascal Quadro and that should give you good enough hardware transcoding for several simultaneous FHD streams.

I would not bother using the old graphics card if your IGP is working and you have a port for it, it won't add anything except power consumption.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 12, 2023

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My old fileserver was an i5-2500k with 16GB ram and 9x8TB in mdadm raid6. I didn't bother running PLEX though. I never ran out of CPU, not even when I rsync'ed the entire server to my new NAS via 10gbit ethernet.
One caveat with my motherboard was the the onboard SATA ports refused to recognise 8TB drives.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Hughlander posted:

How do you like it? I keep waiting for some mythical point of no return when I'll decide to go from proxmox to scale.

It's fine for my needs currently, which are pretty minimal. I knew about the ram limitation/issue going in.

I'm most just serving up media files. It's running in a VM on top of ESXi with an LSI card passed through.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Eletriarnation posted:

No, at least for the NAS portion a 2600K is more than adequate. Until earlier this year I was running Rocky Linux with a couple of ZFS pools, Samba, and torrents on a Xeon from the previous generation (L3426) and it pretty much idled all the time. I only upgraded because I wanted more I/O options.

As far as Plex goes, a 2600K is fast enough for Direct Play easily and it could probably handle a stream or two with software transcoding. I think that while the Sandy Bridge IGP technically has Quick Sync, it's the very first generation so both quality and performance are reputed to be bad enough that you probably will not want to use it for transcoding. However, if the CPU approach isn't good enough you still have the option to get a cheap Pascal Quadro and that should give you good enough hardware transcoding for several simultaneous FHD streams.

I would not bother using the old graphics card if your IGP is working and you have a port for it, it won't add anything except power consumption.

a quadro p400 can be found for $50-75ish and easily handle multiple 4k transcodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hughlander posted:

I can't imagine moving off of proxmox now. The ability to have a cluster in it and if you get a new server just adding it to the cluster, shutting down your existing VMs and one click moving them over to the new server and shutting down the original server is just such a powerful migration tool.

I've not seen how scale handles vm backups but Proxmox works great for that too and it's been trivial for me to roll back a VM to a previous state if needed.