Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Framboise posted:

What a loving miserable experience that looks to be.

I'd rather just play unmodified precons at that rate. At least then no one can complain. (They still will.)

Honestly at a certain point the game isn't to win commander, it's what's the worst card I can get onto that banned list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
The real deep tech for mono-white draw is the "wacky enchantment" package: Endless Horizons, Pursuit of Knowledge, and Tenuous Truce. I'm pretty sure all three are actually legitimate cards even up to the competitively casual power level.

If we're sticking to lands though, I fully agree with both Minas Tirith and War Room are near-staple inclusions for mono-white. Windbrisk Heights isn't quite as easy to add, but has an even higher ceiling than the other two. Many mono-white decks can also support adding a couple sacrifice lands as well, e.g Cryptic Caves, Roadside Reliquary, or even Buried Ruin.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://mythicspoiler.com/who/cards/cyberconversion.html

Not quite Pongify, but still pretty cool.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

That's extremely solid because you can lock up a commander with it.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Torchlighter posted:

Honestly at a certain point the game isn't to win commander, it's what's the worst card I can get onto that banned list.

Wormfang Manta's not on that list yet!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

"Oh you'd like to play a casual game here? Well how about you casually memorize our 170+ banned cards and paragraphs of errata! Having fun yet?"

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

disaster pastor posted:

Wormfang Manta's not on that list yet!

That card is very abuse-able actually. Get a strict Procter and reanimate and sacrifice loop and you have infinite turns.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

One of the best cards in the precons tbh, it's UU: lock out a commander or other threat without sending it to a place where it can be cast again.

Kinda reminds me of oubliette but nowhere near as good. Such is blue removal.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Oh, that's cute.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've not put that card in decks just because I don't want the sad robot to ruin the vibe. This one has the right vibe for my Most Dangerous Gamer deck if nowhere else. I have many clown robots to cheer him up with.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
In my early EDH days I took a particular amount of joy flickering and looping reanimation on the sad robot.

I kept the poor sucker in limbo to keep drawing cards and grabbing lands.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Each time you replay him he should look a little sadder and broken down, like a sort of edh dorian grey portrait.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

This gently annoys me (Doctor Who rules talk) because it kinda fucks with morph. A face down creature used to have no creature type, and while there's no reason it can't have or gain one, now you have to track that it's the Cyberman? It's another point where the rules are becoming subservient to the brand (like how Time Lord is one type and the rules had to be adjusted to allow that). Still, it's very unlikely to matter all that much.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Magnetic North posted:

This gently annoys me (Doctor Who rules talk) because it kinda fucks with morph. A face down creature used to have no creature type, and while there's no reason it can't have or gain one, now you have to track that it's the Cyberman? It's another point where the rules are becoming subservient to the brand (like how Time Lord is one type and the rules had to be adjusted to allow that). Still, it's very unlikely to matter all that much.

This isn't the first time face down creatures can have types. Illithid Harvester from CLB makes face down 2/2 Horrors.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Also, tracking morphs vs manifests vs 6-drop Ugin’s +1 tokens on a physical board could already become confusing.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Magnetic North posted:

Manifests and Ugin the Unfuckable's Spirits say different

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Also there are morph and manifest reminder tokens so id imagine we're going to get Cybermen ones too :eng101:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Mix. posted:

Also there are morph and manifest reminder tokens so id imagine we're going to get Cybermen ones too :eng101:

Yeah, there's 3 of them in the precon

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Magnetic North posted:

now you have to track that it's the Cyberman?

Seems like a flavor win.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Magnetic North posted:

I'm a bit confused. Why is this a problem? Part of the rules for Morphs and Manifests is that you're supposed to make it crystal clear which is which. To the point that, IIRC, in tournaments in the Tarkir era they specifically labeled each morph "morph 1, morph 2" etc. Going from "morph 5" to "cyberman" is... not a deal at all? At least to me.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Played Slivers tonight but kept getting bombarded with board wipes! I was able to have about 10 slivers in my graveyard and once I bought out my First Sliver for the 3rd time and casted Patriarch's Bidding. Another board wipe swung past me exiling all of my indestructible +13 other benefits to all of my slivers.

Sucks!!!

I get a little bit of poo poo and even some pre-installed table politics "Oh he is playing Slivers? Yeah he is bad"! With my group but it's all in good fun. I do have other decks I can play that just blow up out of nowhere but I enjoy Slivers and Dragons the most.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Katamari Democracy posted:

Played Slivers tonight but kept getting bombarded with board wipes! I was able to have about 10 slivers in my graveyard and once I bought out my First Sliver for the 3rd time and casted Patriarch's Bidding. Another board wipe swung past me exiling all of my indestructible +13 other benefits to all of my slivers.

Sucks!!!

I get a little bit of poo poo and even some pre-installed table politics "Oh he is playing Slivers? Yeah he is bad"! With my group but it's all in good fun. I do have other decks I can play that just blow up out of nowhere but I enjoy Slivers and Dragons the most.

Just like me fr fr

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Raenir Salazar posted:

Just like me fr fr

I saw how you and others were engaged with the Sliver drama and quite frankly. I know your pain. The problem I have with my local group is that we have some people with outstanding power commander decks who do not play well with the majority Newbie / Great experience with the game. These guys are a little toxic and play the game at a breakneck speed. They got upset with me because they would by turn 3 have so much crap on their sides that I take time to understand and read what the card does. But im the bad guy for trying to understand how your two drop turned into a 9CMC cost without cascading frendo!

Thankfully I am in a very good group and while I do get the occasional "Oh poo poo slivers boo this man"! Its always in good fun. And if I can perceive that as good fun and them still inviting me to play every week? Those are great players and you should be their friend!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I saw how you and others were engaged with the Sliver drama and quite frankly. I know your pain. The problem I have with my local group is that we have some people with outstanding power commander decks who do not play well with the majority Newbie / Great experience with the game. These guys are a little toxic and play the game at a breakneck speed. They got upset with me because they would by turn 3 have so much crap on their sides that I take time to understand and read what the card does. But im the bad guy for trying to understand how your two drop turned into a 9CMC cost without cascading frendo!

Thankfully I am in a very good group and while I do get the occasional "Oh poo poo slivers boo this man"! Its always in good fun. And if I can perceive that as good fun and them still inviting me to play every week? Those are great players and you should be their friend!

Awesome! :D

My group is slowly improving with the addition of new players from other parts of my extended friendgroup, but I'm currently looking into some new decks:

Ideas:
1. Improving my Kaalia deck, I feel like it could be better, but I generally like the flexibility I have, but I suspect I need either some more lands, (running 35? Maybe I should bump it up to 38?) and maybe more removal.
2. Maybe some other kinds of dragon tribal, like Ur-Dragon with Tiamat or something? Maybe something Morophon related?
3. I saw some Kobold cards and I'd love Kobold tribal but there's like only 10 cards. =/ I could maybe make a more RP deck that has Kobolds that are like, serving some dragons? Dragon-Kobold tribal?
4. Maybe some kind of Robot themed deck that's just infinite robots?
5. Wizard deck? Like you're a wizard casting spells, so the only creature can be yourself (i.e your commander) and then things specific to being like a D&D mage, some maybe Elementals, Imps, but no typical MTG creatures like Elves.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i wanted to do a wizard typal deck with guff as the commander just bc the idea of a guff deck that doesnt care about planeswalkers made me laugh, but building it just made me realize it was just a jeskai spells deck and i already have an ovika deck for that so no thanks

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

They got upset with me because they would by turn 3 have so much crap on their sides that I take time to understand and read what the card does. But im the bad guy for trying to understand how your two drop turned into a 9CMC cost without cascading frendo!

This is awful, one of the most fun parts of magic is showing off to new players how all your cool poo poo works and they're too impatient and lovely to enjoy it smdh

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Raenir Salazar posted:

5. Wizard deck? Like you're a wizard casting spells, so the only creature can be yourself (i.e your commander) and then things specific to being like a D&D mage, some maybe Elementals, Imps, but no typical MTG creatures like Elves.

Judging by your friend group you may like the Baral deck where it's just spells and bullshit in there until you get polymorph and turn Baral into hullbreaker horror then pretty much win on the spot.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Primal surge my entire deck into play. Lose when I move to combat because one opponent targets me with Archmage’s Charm to draw 2. Goofy format

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Magnetic North posted:

I don't really get this objection or at least "the rules being subservient to the brand" part. Top down design has been a major part of magic since the original Innistrad and the development of Double-faced Cards to represent Werewolves as well as a lot of other developments in that set, and the success of that kind of design was proven further in Theros with stuff like the gods. All this is is applying the same principles just with non-WotC lore as a starting point.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Floppychop posted:

So I've played the Angels secret lair deck a few times with Giada as the commander and I've really liked it. Anyone tweaked it and have suggestions?

I know I'm putting an Akroma in, but mostly for sentimental reasons as I know she's fallen way behind the power curve.

Here's the deck I'm running right now: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/GZLAjPoiN0Cl1BuYxGs1bw

The first two things you should take out are Search for Glory and Thalia's Lancers. They're only in to tutor for Gisela as Bruna was intended to be the face commander.

Luminarch Ascension is probably my favorite add in the whole deck. Playing it turn 2 means someone has to answer it almost right away or else you're gonna be making GBS threads out giant flyers at flash speed real quick.

Note: Sideboard cards are what was in the taken out of the precon deck.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 8, 2023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Looks like much more of that stuff had come around than I recalled. I don't really follow normal sets anymore, just the occasional spoiler looking for little glimmers of creativity.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Infidel Castro posted:

Here's the deck I'm running right now: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/GZLAjPoiN0Cl1BuYxGs1bw

The first two things you should take out are Search for Glory and Thalia's Lancers. They're only in to tutor for Gisela as Bruna was intended to be the face commander.

Luminarch Ascension is probably my favorite add in the whole deck. Playing it turn 2 means someone has to answer it almost right away or else you're gonna be making GBS threads out giant flyers at flash speed real quick.

Note: Sideboard cards are what was in the taken out of the precon deck.

Luminarch’s Ascension is a great way to put a giant target on your back. If you stumble on blockers or if your opponents are aggro enough, you just get plinked every combat to deny you counters.

That said, it’s still a great card. :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What's the point of the face down card mechanic? Why not just make tokens?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Khanstant posted:

What's the point of the face down card mechanic? Why not just make tokens?

You're stealing the cards from your opponent and thereby depriving them of having those cards even in the graveyard. If you get something with Morph/Megamorph, I'm pretty sure you can activate those yourself as well.

Flavorwise as well, the Cybermen are all about turning other things into more Cybermen, not just building more from nothing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ah okay I completely forgot about that aspect and that's a flavor win for sure

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And while the deck has none, there are ways for you to flip them.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Aphrodite posted:

And while the deck has none, there are ways for you to flip them.

Yeah. You put both hands under the edge of the table then lift them quickly.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Technically speaking if all the cards end up landing the same way they were before and everyone's ovaries stay in a stack (you're really good at throwing tables wow) is the game still valid and in play, like, no rule you can't play on the floor right?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

serefin99 posted:

If you get something with Morph/Megamorph, I'm pretty sure you can activate those yourself as well.

This is correct. I actually went and looked up the rules for Morph the other day because I wanted to confirm that, and Morph/Megamorph do not care how the card got turned face down. All Morph/Megamorph cares about is, "Is the card face down, yes or no? If yes, then at any point you have priority, you may pay the Morph/Megamorph cost to turn it face up."

Even wilder is that Morph/Megamorph are not considered activated abilities and do not use the stack. Turning a creature face up is a special action, similar to playing a land or paying 3 to put a companion from outside the game into your hand. That means it gets around things that prevent you from activating abilities, like split second or Grand Abolisher.

Comprehensive Rules posted:

702.37. Morph

702.37a Morph is a static ability that functions in any zone from which you could play the card it’s on, and the morph effect works any time the card is face down. “Morph [cost]” means “You may cast this card as a 2/2 face-down creature with no text, no name, no subtypes, and no mana cost by paying {3} rather than paying its mana cost.” (See rule 708, “Face-Down Spells and Permanents.”)

702.37b Megamorph is a variant of the morph ability. “Megamorph [cost]” means “You may cast this card as a 2/2 face-down creature with no text, no name, no subtypes, and no mana cost by paying {3} rather than paying its mana cost” and “As this permanent is turned face up, put a +1/+1 counter on it if its megamorph cost was paid to turn it face up.” A megamorph cost is a morph cost.

702.37c To cast a card using its morph ability, turn it face down. It becomes a 2/2 face-down creature card with no text, no name, no subtypes, and no mana cost. Any effects or prohibitions that would apply to casting a card with these characteristics (and not the face-up card’s characteristics) are applied to casting this card. These values are the copiable values of that object’s characteristics. (See rule 613, “Interaction of Continuous Effects,” and rule 707, “Copying Objects.”) Put it onto the stack (as a face-down spell with the same characteristics), and pay {3} rather than pay its mana cost. This follows the rules for paying alternative costs. You can use a morph ability to cast a card from any zone from which you could normally play it. When the spell resolves, it enters the battlefield with the same characteristics the spell had. The morph effect applies to the face-down object wherever it is, and it ends when the permanent is turned face up.

702.37d You can’t normally cast a card face down. A morph ability allows you to do so.

702.37e Any time you have priority, you may turn a face-down permanent you control with a morph ability face up. This is a special action; it doesn’t use the stack (see rule 116). To do this, show all players what the permanent’s morph cost would be if it were face up, pay that cost, then turn the permanent face up. (If the permanent wouldn’t have a morph cost if it were face up, it can’t be turned face up this way.) The morph effect on it ends, and it regains its normal characteristics. Any abilities relating to the permanent entering the battlefield don’t trigger when it’s turned face up and don’t have any effect, because the permanent has already entered the battlefield.

702.37f If a permanent’s morph cost includes X, other abilities of that permanent may also refer to X. The value of X in those abilities is equal to the value of X chosen as the morph special action was taken.

702.37g See rule 708, “Face-Down Spells and Permanents,” for more information about how to cast cards with a morph ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

W.T. Fits posted:

This is correct. I actually went and looked up the rules for Morph the other day because I wanted to confirm that, and Morph/Megamorph do not care how the card got turned face down. All Morph/Megamorph cares about is, "Is the card face down, yes or no? If yes, then at any point you have priority, you may pay the Morph/Megamorph cost to turn it face up."

Even wilder is that Morph/Megamorph are not considered activated abilities and do not use the stack. Turning a creature face up is a special action, similar to playing a land or paying 3 to put a companion from outside the game into your hand. That means it gets around things that prevent you from activating abilities, like split second or Grand Abolisher.

Yeah it's great (and the first bit is a key part of the Yedora combo deck)