Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Dapper_Swindler posted:

on unity. i have less of an issue with "your not forrest gump" and more you never see the world change with the revolution or have different events happen. you can play side missions about the terror or the derectory at the beginning of the game.

The portrayal of the revolution is so weird in this game. On one hand Arno doesn't care about it at all and we get very little context for the events of the revolution. On the other hand every drat event of the revolution is part of Templar (or rather rogue ex-Templar) plot. This is the worst. I dislike the stories trying to invent some secret reason behind widely known historical events, but when the events are handled so poorly it's especially jarring. Origins gets you involved in Egyptian civil war but it does present more or less historical reasons for it (even if it's presented poorly). Shay causes Lissabon earthquake and it's fine too because it doesn't really twist history but even portrays the aftermaths of the event in people's minds in an interesting way using Shay. Unity is just the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ImpAtom posted:

My genuine feeling on Mirage is that it needed an identity it doesn't have.

Like the core selling point is either "Baghdad" or "You play as the dude with the magic space bullshit going on" and it just doesn't lean hard enough into either to really work.

Baghdad is fun to run around but it feels so hollow and empty compared to recent AC worlds. There's nothing to do BUT run around and stab people. You don't need to have Valhalla's absurd level of bloat but you need something to make the world feel like it has texture. It's easily the most half-assed version of a setting in the series which is saying something.

And the magic space bullshit stuff is just kind of shuffled to the side until the ending and you already know the ending going into the game so... why bother? Even if you're interested in the lore all you get is the thing that was already revealed about the character and is the only reason anyone would care about the protagonist in the first place.

yeah. i have yet to play it but i am mostly playing it because i am curious about the setting and the stupid lore poo poo, Basim isnt a bad character, but like this very much is a case of "lets do an expirement to see if we can make more older style smaller AC games between the bigger ones".

ilitarist posted:

The portrayal of the revolution is so weird in this game. On one hand Arno doesn't care about it at all and we get very little context for the events of the revolution. On the other hand every drat event of the revolution is part of Templar (or rather rogue ex-Templar) plot. This is the worst. I dislike the stories trying to invent some secret reason behind widely known historical events, but when the events are handled so poorly it's especially jarring. Origins gets you involved in Egyptian civil war but it does present more or less historical reasons for it (even if it's presented poorly). Shay causes Lissabon earthquake and it's fine too because it doesn't really twist history but even portrays the aftermaths of the event in people's minds in an interesting way using Shay. Unity is just the worst.

I sorta like the Final fantasy level insanity of the templar dudes plot but yeah, its just not interesting. I am still more pissed about AC3 because their are so many events and battles and conspiracys you could have done with the american revolution and came away with the same basic lesson. instead its just like 2 events. rogue does a better job with the french and indian war somehow.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
When is the next rear end creed game coming out

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

slave to my cravings posted:

It's out, unless you don't mean Mirage.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

yesterday

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats always been kinda of a weird issue i had with AC games, like sure i get WHY its like that but it gets kinda old when every villian and hero is some enlightened athiest with humanties degree. like sometimes it works and some of it i genuinly like, like that templar dude who is paranoid psycho at the docks in ac 1. whos basic gist is "i am afraid of the end and the void because i dont believe any of this poo poo". but like renassanse times going forward, i feel like that "templars and assassins are enlightened to almost "current day" levels' works a little better.

It's also hard to talk about cause it kinda makes you sound like people who only care about historical accuracy when it concerns statistically probable skin tones and women outside of kitchen, but you know what I mean. Connor didn't see a European city before he became a man, and after the beginning he could just be a generic American settler dude. I'm not just talking about religion but in general about values a d other views.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ilitarist posted:

It's also hard to talk about cause it kinda makes you sound like people who only care about historical accuracy when it concerns statistically probable skin tones and women outside of kitchen, but you know what I mean. Connor didn't see a European city before he became a man, and after the beginning he could just be a generic American settler dude. I'm not just talking about religion but in general about values a d other views.

i mean i dont mind inaccuracy. its sci-fi video game. i usually just like the aesthetic accuracy mixed with some period beliefs and making the historical characters interesting. if it gets me more interested in the period, then gently caress yeah. vahalla didnt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYyf1IqDvzE&t
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s--BaDt0Jbw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIm9cXtsjzY

this channel talks about it alot. they are great in general too.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 6, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yesterday or if you mean the japan one, next year around this time probably.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i dont mind inaccuracy. its sci-fi video game. i usually just like the aesthetic accuracy mixed with some period beliefs and making the historical characters interesting. if it gets me more interested in the period, then gently caress yeah.

It's not about accuracy as much as interesting stories and wasted opportunities. It's unlikely you see a lot of interactive media about the French Revolution, especially with a budget like this, so the fact that it doesn't seem to care about the period beyond aesthetics (and also Paris stories, these are much more involved than the main story) is sad. With RPG trilogy this is helped a lot by a Discovery Mode, but ideały there should be some sort of fusion. Which reminds me: Mirage was supposed to have tours seamlessly integrated in the game, I wonder if it works well.
Thanks for the links, will watch.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Is Japan before HRE Germany? Darn it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

Is Japan before HRE Germany? Darn it

HRE germany sounds like it might be another expiriment game but who knows. id love china but its mobile game.

ilitarist posted:

It's not about accuracy as much as interesting stories and wasted opportunities. It's unlikely you see a lot of interactive media about the French Revolution, especially with a budget like this, so the fact that it doesn't seem to care about the period beyond aesthetics (and also Paris stories, these are much more involved than the main story) is sad. With RPG trilogy this is helped a lot by a Discovery Mode, but ideały there should be some sort of fusion. Which reminds me: Mirage was supposed to have tours seamlessly integrated in the game, I wonder if it works well.
Thanks for the links, will watch.

yeah exactly.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
when are they gonna stop loving around and give us viet cong assassins vs. american military templars

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

when are they gonna stop loving around and give us viet cong assassins vs. american military templars

maybe in decade or two. personally i am against it, not because of the politics but because everytime AC jumps into anything past the great war, it sucks, i like the concept of the modern day stuff, two secret dickhead enlightned societies loving each other for thousands of years, but i sorta hate all the subject 16 "EVERYTHING IS TEMPLARS AND ASSSASINS" poo poo. I used to love all that dumb poo poo, but my uncles loud fall into QANON poo poo kinda takes the fun out of it when you here a grown man talking about how "they" used space lasers to burn Maui or other weird chud poo poo. its not the games fault, its just lol.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe in decade or two. personally i am against it, not because of the politics but because everytime AC jumps into anything past the great war, it sucks, i like the concept of the modern day stuff, two secret dickhead enlightned societies loving each other for thousands of years, but i sorta hate all the subject 16 "EVERYTHING IS TEMPLARS AND ASSSASINS" poo poo. I used to love all that dumb poo poo, but my uncles loud fall into QANON poo poo kinda takes the fun out of it when you here a grown man talking about how "they" used space lasers to burn Maui or other weird chud poo poo. its not the games fault, its just lol.

This is dumb in fiction too, not to mention applying this approach to reality. History is complex and huge and there's everything you want in it. By necessity any historical fiction must pick and chose parts of historical facts and theories so you already can bend the narrative in a lot of ways. Secret societies are an OK simplification: they allow you to introduce hero as an unlikely participant of known historical events, they make it easy to understand who's good and who's band, and also importantly they allow you to clearly see which parts of the narrative are established historical facts and which are fiction. I think AC often does this well with the secret war being in the background and this is why I prefer to think about Subject 16 ravings as non-canon or exaggerations. I like it when Connor helps with Boston Tea Party, it's a fun take on the story. I'm OK with Bayek hiding Cleopatra in a carpet - it's a very boring take on a historical anecdote but it's fine. But the fact that half of French Revolution events were decided by the intervention of a vengeful simp who doesn't even seem to understand what's happening is not fine. It's as if Star Wars author published a book about Zikk Tai's, a Jedi-sympathizer stormtrooper who was there in every encounter of Luke Skywalker and Han Solo with stormtroopers and deliberately missed to help them destroy the empire. It's devaluing the source material.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ilitarist posted:

This is dumb in fiction too, not to mention applying this approach to reality. History is complex and huge and there's everything you want in it. By necessity any historical fiction must pick and chose parts of historical facts and theories so you already can bend the narrative in a lot of ways. Secret societies are an OK simplification: they allow you to introduce hero as an unlikely participant of known historical events, they make it easy to understand who's good and who's band, and also importantly they allow you to clearly see which parts of the narrative are established historical facts and which are fiction. I think AC often does this well with the secret war being in the background and this is why I prefer to think about Subject 16 ravings as non-canon or exaggerations. I like it when Connor helps with Boston Tea Party, it's a fun take on the story. I'm OK with Bayek hiding Cleopatra in a carpet - it's a very boring take on a historical anecdote but it's fine. But the fact that half of French Revolution events were decided by the intervention of a vengeful simp who doesn't even seem to understand what's happening is not fine. It's as if Star Wars author published a book about Zikk Tai's, a Jedi-sympathizer stormtrooper who was there in every encounter of Luke Skywalker and Han Solo with stormtroopers and deliberately missed to help them destroy the empire. It's devaluing the source material.

yeah exactly. to me the templar poo poo works better when its not most of the chud supreme court. like maybe one of them is if that. i feel like the templars would be the types who would want the jobs behind the throne more then on it. like after borgia hosed up that badly, they started not aiming for pope level positions. like hitler isnt one, but that fucker in charger of the gestapo could be, stalin wasn't but beria could be. that kinda power level. its still stupid but it makes more sense then "lol hitler, stalin, and fdr were all templars" poo poo. that being said. i still like how stupidly insane plan is. it sounds something written by a marxist francophile with mental issues as an explanation of why the revolution went south.

also thats what i view subjects 16s views as, he is a dude who got his memory and "soul" fragmented more then the emperor of mankind. he isnt gonna have any rational thoughts.

also i like how small scale the templar assassins war is in syndicate. its just two assassins trying to kill the big boss of the city and ruin his dumb rear end plans. I like starrik as cartoony as he is. i like that the assassins just make poo poo worse in the long run with their actions.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 6, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm still waiting on my rural 1950s Alabama AC game, where a member of the Templars stole the protagonist's pig from their farm.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Anyways Mirage is pretty good. Not as good as the classics but a step back in the right direction.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PlushCow posted:

Agreed Unity wastes the setting, you barely have anything to do with the revolution in the story if im remembering right; most of that only comes through in the coop missions and good luck getting to play those now.
You can solo all of the co-op missions. It's a pretty fun challenge to do them that way and only one of them really feels broken without more people.

ilitarist posted:

I guess we're all getting Mirage on sale: it's the day of a release and here we are talking about 5-10 year old games.
I learnt my lesson after buying AC3 at full price on release.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mirage is absolutely going to be $20 by Black Friday.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You can solo all of the co-op missions. It's a pretty fun challenge to do them that way and only one of them really feels broken without more people.
My fondest memory of Unity was doing some of the co-op missions solo and underlevelled. Any open combat was a death sentence, and it really forced me to play stealthy and use all of my gadgets to survive in a way that is never actually necessary in AC games.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats always been kinda of a weird issue i had with AC games, like sure i get WHY its like that but it gets kinda old when every villian and hero is some enlightened athiest with humanties degree. like sometimes it works and some of it i genuinly like, like that templar dude who is paranoid psycho at the docks in ac 1. whos basic gist is "i am afraid of the end and the void because i dont believe any of this poo poo". but like renassanse times going forward, i feel like that "templars and assassins are enlightened to almost "current day" levels' works a little better.

I like when Richard the Lionheart makes you do a trial by combat and he and all his knights are wearing capes and doing a cool pose while you duel that guy in AC1

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's why I liked Odyssey so much, Kassandra being magically gifted but not particularly bright made falling into all those wacky scenarios where evil people are obviously conspiring to kill you plausible, and dare I say fun.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Open world character must be not very bright and have a short attention span, otherwise you suffer from a massive dissonance.

Good writers are aware of the medium. Even in old game like Planescape Torment that predates modern RPG trends writers knew how the player would behave and had NPCs comment about that guy who walks around in strange patterns and asks a lot of dumb questions.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Well it may seem crazy but Mirage had been the game I've been looking for in an Assassin's Creed games for some time.

I bounced off Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla because I really didn't like the XP and leveling system. I hated that unless I was several levels over the area recommendation it was not always a guarantee I could stealth kill someone.

Also, I enjoyed the modern day Desmond story in the original. Says it all about me really.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tsietisin posted:

I bounced off Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla because I really didn't like the XP and leveling system. I hated that unless I was several levels over the area recommendation it was not always a guarantee I could stealth kill someone.

didn't they patch in both optional level scaling and guaranteed assassinations in all three?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So far this game is. Eh, fine. Entirely unremarkable. It’s like they threw the Valhalla systems into a stripped down classic style game. It feels like a lite version of both. The setting and character also don’t particularly appeal to me and I did like the big RPG style games. I like the classic ones too but this doesn’t reach the enjoyable highs of say, a Syndicate or Brohood.

It’s just kind of there. It doesn’t seem remarkable in any way. It’s just kind of “oh cute they tried to make another one of these things”

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

victrix posted:

didn't they patch in both optional level scaling and guaranteed assassinations in all three?

Only in Valhalla. In Origins and Odyssey you can configure level scaling, but only upwards.

I can write words about how I actually like that system and how you can have cool builds in Odyssey, but it's obvious how this additions might feel irrelevant in such game. Especially in Origins where this system was very rough.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I like the level scaling option in Odyssey. At the loosest setting (which brings everything up to 4 levels behind) it keeps old content easy without being so trivial as to be boring.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tsietisin posted:

Well it may seem crazy but Mirage had been the game I've been looking for in an Assassin's Creed games for some time.

Also, I enjoyed the modern day Desmond story in the original. Says it all about me really.

i like it once you realize you have to play it like arkham batman instead of Kassandra of khorne. you can fight and the combat is fun but you have to actually plan your fights and dodge and block and poo poo. i am not far at all and i think the prologue is kinda rushed and meh. like i already see where one twist is gonna be but i like the setting and stuff so far. i prefer odyssey and origins but this good still.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ytlaya posted:

I'm still waiting on my rural 1950s Alabama AC game, where a member of the Templars stole the protagonist's pig from their farm.

Deep South 60s where you play a Black Panther assassin. Bonus preorder althist dlc, 'The Tyranny of President Bobby'

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If anyone wants to remove the god-awful Chromatic Aberration in Mirage, there are two methods available now. There's a mod up on Nexus, or you can do a hex edit as a more permanent option. For the hex edit, open ACMirage.exe, or ACMirage_plus.exe if you're using UBISoft+ version of the game. Search for "80 79 32 00 75 4E", then change that to "80 79 32 01 75 4E". Save your file, and that's it. No more Chromatic Aberration.

The chromatic aberration in this game was so bad it was literally making me nauseous, and no game ever, even VR, has made me nauseous previously. And of course UBI didn't include a toggle for it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Chromatic Aberration is literally the first thing I look for when starting a new game so I can turn it off. It always looks so bad, why do developers keep putting it in their games!!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't know what it does other than that it sounds like a regular enemy from a Soulslike.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Chromatic aberration simulates the flaws of camera lens. Kinda like lens flare or film grain but much more annoying. People who work with cameras spend time to mitigate it and videogames want to be like big boys, like movies, so they put it in. It's completely pointless and irritating in a game that doesn't go for camera feel, like some parts of Resident Evil 7 or Kane & Lynch games. When I'm playing an immersive game I want to feel like I'm transported in another world, not like I'm transported into a movie theater where I'm shown another world.

I hope they'll add an off toggle, another reason to wait. I remember playing CP2077 and feeling like my eyes are broken till I turned off that effect, but there it was toggleable and in Mirage it isn't, and they say it's very noticeable. It's also something that is hard to see in gameplay videos due to compression detail loss.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Alchenar posted:

I don't know what it does other than that it sounds like a regular enemy from a Soulslike.

Here's an example. It's the separation of the RBG channels in the image, which makes the edges of objects display color fringing. Not sure if the devs are using it as a lovely, and incorrect, interpretation of heat haze, but it's awful in this game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Think of the grainy haze that you see around objects in old VHS tapes, except recreated on your 1440p monitor that was not shot with a film camera at any point.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Here's an example. It's the separation of the RBG channels in the image, which makes the edges of objects display color fringing. Not sure if the devs are using it as a lovely, and incorrect, interpretation of heat haze, but it's awful in this game.

My got, this looks like TAA reconstruction from 50% resolution.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I’m playing on PS5 on a 4K tv and I haven’t noticed it

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I have yet to figure out a good way to reliably fight the heavy guys in melee. I usually have to run and come back and air assassinate them. Maybe if I unlock that front/over dodge roll...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

I have yet to figure out a good way to reliably fight the heavy guys in melee. I usually have to run and come back and air assassinate them. Maybe if I unlock that front/over dodge roll...

Circle straft them. That is it.