Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

So now he has a hurt toe AND a broken couch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If your toe is still hurting a week later you probably broke it.

That or you fractured it.

I was playing with my dog on time and accidentally ran into the stove (it sticks out a bit from the counter) and my toe hurt like crazy even a couple days later and was swollen. Went to doctor and while I didn’t break it I did fracture it. Had to tape it to another toe and be careful for the next couple weeks.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

To this day, this very day, I don’t know the difference between a break and a fracture

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

A break is what Ross and Rachel were on.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

oldpainless posted:

To this day, this very day, I don’t know the difference between a break and a fracture

:ssh: There is no difference.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

This should be in large type with a few exclamation points after it, or at least it should be quoted a million times.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Both are breaks but I always thought it as fractures = bones stay in place, breaks = bones out of place. Sort of how technically a papercut & stab wound are "cuts" but one is way more severe than the other.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Huh. My doctor didn’t seem to care to tell me that. I asked if I broke it and he was like “just a fracture.” Maybe they just use it differently for common people to judge severity?

That or my doctor did not care to give me a lecture on proper word usage. I’m gonna guess the later.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Today is the 2nd anniversary of my father's death. It gets better but Christ, I'll always miss him.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
There are times I remind myself that my friend/professor wasn't my dad but I miss him every loving day. Probably doesn't help that every day on the way to work I drive past his old house. His family doesn't live there anymore but it hurts.

This morning I woke up to my aquarium leaking, and while I am hopefully able to fix poo poo up, I was a loving idiot and told my manager the real reason I wouldn't be in today. Should have told him I was sick or cramping or puking.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My understanding was the difference is a fracture is like a crack in a coffee cup; it's visibly hosed, but still in one piece, and a break is when that crack is deep/severe enough for a chunk to come off completely.

My ex is mad at me for not remembering something from, like, 7 years ago. Ma'am, I had more friends back then, I didn't have as much attention to focus on you alone; I'm sorry I don't remember what job you had at the time.
"Why are you still talking to your ex?" Because we were best friends before dating, and except for this going back to being friends had been relatively painless.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My understanding was the difference is a fracture is like a crack in a coffee cup; it's visibly hosed, but still in one piece, and a break is when that crack is deep/severe enough for a chunk to come off completely.

Both of those things are described by the technical term fracture. Both can also be colloquially described as a break, but more frequently the latter.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My ex is mad at me for not remembering something from, like, 7 years ago. Ma'am, I had more friends back then, I didn't have as much attention to focus on you alone; I'm sorry I don't remember what job you had at the time.
"Why are you still talking to your ex?" Because we were best friends before dating, and except for this going back to being friends had been relatively painless.

She wants you to remember stuff from the pre covid era? That's asking too much. Some people alive today weren't even born then.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got rear-ended yesterday. Definitely not my fault. I was completely still, waiting to turn out of a parking lot, and the other guy didn’t see me over the hood of his giant truck or rolled too far forward or something. The damage might just be something I can pop back in, and it no one was hurt, but it still sucks.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Oct 7, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Fracture is the medical term for any broken bone, and then there are a few types that classify how.

A no-adjective fractured toe is usually pretty minor though so you could call it "just a (basic) fracture". You tape it to another toe and let it heal up.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

I got rear-ended yesterday. Definitely not my fault. I was completely still, waiting to turn out of a parking lot, and the other guy didn’t see me over the hood of his giant truck or rolled too far forward or something. The damage might just be something I can pop back in, and it no one was hurt, but it still sucks.

I have gotten into so many arguments with my mom about the rear-end collisions. IE you get rear-ended and then your car jolts and rear-ends the car ahead of you. She insists it is NOT your fault because you were hit. I explain it is, because if you had proper space, you wouldn't hit the other car. Now of course if the car that hits you is doing like 40 or 60mph, you are gonna go forward, but that aside.

Dealing with the insurance company always loving sucks. Make sure you got comprehensive coverage, boys and girls and everyone.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cowslips Warren posted:

I have gotten into so many arguments with my mom about the rear-end collisions. IE you get rear-ended and then your car jolts and rear-ends the car ahead of you. She insists it is NOT your fault because you were hit. I explain it is, because if you had proper space, you wouldn't hit the other car. Now of course if the car that hits you is doing like 40 or 60mph, you are gonna go forward, but that aside.

Dealing with the insurance company always loving sucks. Make sure you got comprehensive coverage, boys and girls and everyone.

Our car got stolen in May. The window was broken in and the ignition drilled.

The cops charged *us* for having it impounded because we didn’t respond when they wanted to check if it could be driven. With the ignition drilled. Aka no our keys wouldn’t work. Neither of us were at home when they knocked.

Insurance paid for fixing the ignition. They didn’t pay for the new window. That was out of pocket. Why? Given we didn’t do either of those things?

The repair shop? Left the shattered glass from the old window spread across the interior. And the kicker? Only rekeyed the ignition, and didn’t give us a new electronic keyfob- gotta stick the physical key in the lock! So the new key starts the car, but the old they destroyed one is still what is needed to unlock the door. So at present the car must sit unlocked at all times. And we had to pay out of pocket for a professional clean for things like getting our babies’ loving child seats cleaned professionally of broken glass shards.

We’re going to get back from vacation and immediately have to deal with rekeying the car again for one where you can lock it. And the second kicker? The insurance is still in my stepdad’s name even though I pay it and he is in the process of divorcing my mom, but like, it’s his name on top so apparently they must talk to him and he’s probably deliberately loving with us

In summary, gently caress insurance and do not trust them, they will make your day lovely

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had a sticky trap for bugs. it didn't work, but it would occasionally catch a silverfish or random pest that wandered onto it or fly that would land on it so I left it.

I just checked it and it's got a tiny mouse on it, an inch long if that. I didn't think it was strong enough adhesive to catch a mouse. and the mouse is still alive. I managed to get it off with some washing it with water and using a plastic fork to get it off, but it was NOT HAPPY. felt horrible doing that to it. it seemed to be moderately okay and was able to scamper off into the grass, but still, it sucked to hurt it get it off the paper.

chucking the rest of those traps out. don't even do what they're supposed to.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Inceltown posted:

She wants you to remember stuff from the pre covid era? That's asking too much. Some people alive today weren't even born then.

Not even that, my memory is kind of poo poo in general anyway. She knows this, she's known this for years, it has not been a problem until this very moment. I have a hard enough time remembering what I did two months ago, and you want me to recall something from that far back with no hints or help? That isn't fair.
"We talked about it every day while I worked there!"
We've talked about a lot of things every single day for the past ~13 years, that doesn't narrow it down!

Various people posted:

:eng101: about fractures
Huh. Neat! Shows what little I know.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
One of my co workers filled the goddamn communal cremation machine with too many fat animals. Smoked out the whole building. Then when the catch trays caught fire because the dog grease in them got too hot someone hit them with a fire extinguisher and I got speckled with hot liquid dog fat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I haven't used this emoji in years, but :gonk:

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Why am I so socially anxious all the time for no reason. Even around my friends. I just wanted to have fun with them today and was instead afraid and mostly quiet almost the whole time. I like them all and I seriously don't get why I'm like this, it makes me not want to bother trying :(

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

UwUnabomber posted:

One of my co workers filled the goddamn communal cremation machine with too many fat animals. Smoked out the whole building. Then when the catch trays caught fire because the dog grease in them got too hot someone hit them with a fire extinguisher and I got speckled with hot liquid dog fat.

I hate this, holy poo poo

sounds like you need a shower and a hug, in that order

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Captain Invictus posted:

I had a sticky trap for bugs. it didn't work, but it would occasionally catch a silverfish or random pest that wandered onto it or fly that would land on it so I left it.

I just checked it and it's got a tiny mouse on it, an inch long if that. I didn't think it was strong enough adhesive to catch a mouse. and the mouse is still alive. I managed to get it off with some washing it with water and using a plastic fork to get it off, but it was NOT HAPPY. felt horrible doing that to it. it seemed to be moderately okay and was able to scamper off into the grass, but still, it sucked to hurt it get it off the paper.

chucking the rest of those traps out. don't even do what they're supposed to.

Just in case you know someone else who keeps using them - generally using some vegetable oil or baby oil will make it easier to remove something from the adhesive.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LimaBiker posted:

Just in case you know someone else who keeps using them - generally using some vegetable oil or baby oil will make it easier to remove something from the adhesive.
oh okay thank you, I was in kind of a rush since it was in the process of getting itself stuck more and more, and had gotten its nose stuck, so I didn't want it to suffocate.

a bit hypocritical of me, I know, since I use snaptraps for mice, but I HATE HATE HATE glue traps, I use snaptraps because they are instant and painless. I just didn't realize these ones for silverfish/ants/etc were strong enough to catch rodents too.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
The most cursed part is it smells like frying bacon but you can tell from the smell it's dog. It smells like wet dog and hot dog breath.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
My workplace is the best of its kind I've ever worked in, until recently. I was lying awake until 1 last night and had a little cry about how stressful I'm finding it.

Just management feeling the need to micromanage. Making it very clear they don't trust us. We had a pretty decent routine going on and now they've decided to put a routine in place down to the nearest 5 minutes as to what we should be doing. We loving know.

And it'll change again in the next 2-3 months so might as well roll with it, but I'm still having a hard time figuring out how it will work. Staff have left and they promised to cover their hours but haven't, so once again it's only me and my colleague doing the shutdown at the end of the day, when once upon a time it was 3 or 4 of us doing it. Hell, once upon a time we had a loving cleaner!

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
Before I start, this involves pet death and cancer. Don't want to hurt anyone while they read my rant.

So, I recently spent ten days house/dogsitting. One of the dogs, a 9 year old Great Dane, had what her owners, my mom and stepdad, thought was a "She forgot she's old and did some puppy jumping when we weren't looking" inflammation around her wrist joint. This happened right before the trip, she'd done stuff like that before, so they told me to give her pain medication and ice it over. I did, and it seemed to stay the same size, maybe a bit bigger. She could still move around, albeit limping, and did. I thought that it wasn't healing because she kept using the joint. The same dog otherwise, still played, still slept a lot because she was old.They got back two days ago, decided to bring her to the emergency vet yesterday.

Osteosarcoma.

So, 24 hours after getting back from their very nice trip, they have to make the decision that Xena was way too old to put her through any treatment. One day back, and they had to tell themselves "Okay, she's had a good life, we can't make her suffer for more time with her. Let's just enjoy what time we have left."

The next day she wouldn't stand up. They rode off with her a few hours ago to get her put down.

Two loving days.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

At least she held off until they got home and could say goodbye

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

At least she held off until they got home and could say goodbye

That is very true.

Not gonna lie, I house sit for my friend, and am relieved he has someone else to watch his super old dog (I used to dogsit for his three, but dogs dont live long enough) because I am terrified she will die when he's gone.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Agaragon posted:

Before I start, this involves pet death and cancer. Don't want to hurt anyone while they read my rant.

So, I recently spent ten days house/dogsitting. One of the dogs, a 9 year old Great Dane, had what her owners, my mom and stepdad, thought was a "She forgot she's old and did some puppy jumping when we weren't looking" inflammation around her wrist joint. This happened right before the trip, she'd done stuff like that before, so they told me to give her pain medication and ice it over. I did, and it seemed to stay the same size, maybe a bit bigger. She could still move around, albeit limping, and did. I thought that it wasn't healing because she kept using the joint. The same dog otherwise, still played, still slept a lot because she was old.They got back two days ago, decided to bring her to the emergency vet yesterday.

Osteosarcoma.

So, 24 hours after getting back from their very nice trip, they have to make the decision that Xena was way too old to put her through any treatment. One day back, and they had to tell themselves "Okay, she's had a good life, we can't make her suffer for more time with her. Let's just enjoy what time we have left."

The next day she wouldn't stand up. They rode off with her a few hours ago to get her put down.

Two loving days.

That's why they call Great Danes a heartbreak breed.

I know people who kept theirs going until age 11 with some Herculean efforts-- laser therapy, acupuncture, hydrotherapy, literally standing the poor guy up and dealing with his massive stool incontinence multiple times a day-- and even though he was still the sweetest old man it was very, very clear that QoL just isn't worth the effort even if you can afford it and make all the necessary efforts.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

My boss' boss continues to make me hate him just a little more every time I hear his name. The brain genius has decided that chairs will no longer be allowed in any Fed-Ex Freight guard shacks. Y'know, where the guards are on duty for 8 hour shifts, sometimes 12 or 16 at a time because the same knuckledragger keeps firing people and having difficulty finding replacements.
Chances of people (including me) just sitting on the drat floor: High.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My boss' boss continues to make me hate him just a little more every time I hear his name. The brain genius has decided that chairs will no longer be allowed in any Fed-Ex Freight guard shacks. Y'know, where the guards are on duty for 8 hour shifts, sometimes 12 or 16 at a time because the same knuckledragger keeps firing people and having difficulty finding replacements.
Chances of people (including me) just sitting on the drat floor: High.

That seems like it's probably illegal. Talk to your union guys.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The loving Boomer Brained idea that "sitting = lazy" for any kind of service job when they sit the entire shift for THEIR managerial job.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Another hiring process where I came 2nd out of 250+ applicants. Again, the reason was that the person hired had more experience than me in thing x. Yeah, I have a poo poo ton of experience but all of it is project and freelance mishmash because I can't get a longterm position because I don't have the experience. I am excellent at what I do but I never get to show it. gently caress, I hate this.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Inceltown posted:

That seems like it's probably illegal. Talk to your union guys.
:lmao: you think we have a union in Texas?

This is the same brain genius who decided it was A Great Idea to go around to various sites with a gun in the passenger and back seats. To test the guards armed intruder training you see! :downsgun:
He tried this stunt at a site that has armed break-in attempts semi-regularly (not mine thankfully, mine is a very chill site) and the guards were packing, though they weren't supposed to be as we're not licensed to be armed security. The guard overreacted and drew on him.
Mr. Galaxy Brain Manager decided the best course of action was to draw back on him! :cripes::cripes::cripes:

Malachite_Dragon has a new favorite as of 08:43 on Oct 14, 2023

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This sounds like a problem that will solve itself soon enough

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Unfortunately that was 5 or 6 months ago, now he has his lackeys do it for him. He has it out for me personally too, he's tried to float the idea of replacing me multiple times because of my hourly limitation but the FedEx people who hold the contract, according to my boss, keep telling him to pound sand. I've been the overnight weekend guard at this location for over a decade; they know me, they like me, they know I can do my drat job and show the hell up on time.
And for that, he will never forgive me. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Unfortunately that was 5 or 6 months ago, now he has his lackeys do it for him. He has it out for me personally too, he's tried to float the idea of replacing me multiple times because of my hourly limitation but the FedEx people who hold the contract, according to my boss, keep telling him to pound sand. I've been the overnight weekend guard at this location for over a decade; they know me, they like me, they know I can do my drat job and show the hell up on time.
And for that, he will never forgive me. :shrug:

People love to value cronyism more than competence.

I had a retail job where I had been the longest employed in the department. Everyone went to me for answers, and I knew all the proper procedures. I never messed anything up. When a promotion became available it was up to me and another guy. I didn’t get it and the other guy did. Nice enough guy but a huge doofus. Got poo poo wrong constantly. Why was he promoted? He could sell extra warranties and subscriptions like nobody else! Didn’t matter if he pissed off customers doing it or fudged the truth. Number was good, so he was hired.

I absolutely hate any part of a company world so I work in a complete different hellscape. Education. At least there I get to pretty much be my own boss.

Edit: I also did security work for 4 years so I know how poo poo that is too.