Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Azuth0667 posted:

They have those and tried to tell us we owe 50$ if anything happens to it so very low rate of adoption. One of my old cantankerous coworkers got one and flushed it down the toilet for reasons he's yet to explain.

Figuratively or literal- oh I already know don't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Outrail posted:

Using your Karen powers for good, nice.

Nah, we're conditioned to let our employers abuse us and I've had enough of that so they want something they can pay.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Shoehead posted:

Figuratively or literal- oh I already know don't I?

Literally, we keep asking and he hasn't explained yet.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Our security team sent out a wave of fake phishing emails last week, but neglected to inform the network team. So when the suspicious looking email asking you to click a link arrived they did what any responsible network admin would and blocked the URL. :v:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Collateral Damage posted:

Our security team sent out a wave of fake phishing emails last week, but neglected to inform the network team. So when the suspicious looking email asking you to click a link arrived they did what any responsible network admin would and blocked the URL. :v:

Not what they intended to test, but a result none the less.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
How are all you M-Fers doing today? At home relaxing or taking care of a to do list, out shopping and running errands, at your favorite spot getting a nice big breakfast, maybe taking a short weekend trip. Me? Oh, just on another work trip with my boomer coworker.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

Scientastic posted:

Driving to work is not work, if you work from home, your firm should pay for Internet and phone, but obviously not your mortgage. If a company expects you to be accessing work things in your phone, they should give you a phone.

I dunno, I may have landed a job where they'll pay me to drive to work when I need to go somewhere. Supposedly I'll hear back tomorrow

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Machai posted:

He mixed up #2 and 2fa
:golfclap:

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Azuth0667 posted:

Nah, we're conditioned to let our employers abuse us and I've had enough of that so they want something they can pay.

Going from living in a right to work state to Canada has been fuckin wild for this, no mandatory drug tests for everything and overtime is calculated by day instead of the pay period. Luv 2 think I'm getting OT then getting sick or something happening and it getting vacuumed up 1:1 before my meager PTO hours. Also, there's defined sick and vacation time here, not one pot where if you had a vacation planned and then poo poo happened you were hosed and had to cancel. My husband looks at me like I came from a third world hellhole when I tell him what was "normal" back in Arizona.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Salami Surgeon posted:

How are all you M-Fers doing today? At home relaxing or taking care of a to do list, out shopping and running errands, at your favorite spot getting a nice big breakfast, maybe taking a short weekend trip. Me? Oh, just on another work trip with my boomer coworker.

I was planning to have a long train ride today to a work thing tomorrow. The train started it's journey in our countries current corona outbreak spot, before travelling through my town.
Then the other office called of the meeting because everybody there has caught some unspecified illness.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
America is a stack override fourth world shithole FYI.

My now ex girlfriend wanted me to move to the USA and I couldn't believe she was serious. :rubby:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

I'll raise you the idiocy of our CIO. The CIO decides that we're going to do a trap email campaign and force everyone that falls for the trap emails to do a training. They use HR as the source of their trap emails. A bunch of people fall for it and get angry enough about the trainings that the union gets involved. Thankfully, the union shuts the mandatory training part of the trap emails down. A couple months later the CIO reviews a report and sees a bunch of phishing emails coming from a single source. The CIO orders that source to be blocked. The source was the official HR email account so roughly 90 days worth of internal HR emails were automatically flagged and deleted. These emails had details about what we have to do for compliance with the government and now we're very behind on them. Behind enough that there are going to be some consequences from the government over it.

Pyrtanis posted:

Going from living in a right to work state to Canada has been fuckin wild for this, no mandatory drug tests for everything and overtime is calculated by day instead of the pay period. Luv 2 think I'm getting OT then getting sick or something happening and it getting vacuumed up 1:1 before my meager PTO hours. Also, there's defined sick and vacation time here, not one pot where if you had a vacation planned and then poo poo happened you were hosed and had to cancel. My husband looks at me like I came from a third world hellhole when I tell him what was "normal" back in Arizona.

Absolutely, I am fortunate enough to have tenure and somehow still be part of a strong union even though I am admin now. I can outright cite job description and push back on poor treatment when appropriate. I've worked non-union jobs for long enough to know that I'm never going to willingly do that again. I'll never understand the people at my current job that refuse to join the union because without fail they get the worst treatment. For example, we'll get a lovely policy that states something like employees have to contribute 30% more to maintain health benefits. At the end of the policy it'll say something like it only to applies to people not covered by the CBA. Yes, you have to pay dues but for those dues you get protected from the incredibly lovely policies that will get pushed. The back pay policy is a great example too. If you're non-union you won't get any backpay, if you are union you'll get backpay and something like 5% extra. Maybe I'm wrong and its really me with the broken brain but it sure doesn't look like it when I see policy worse than those examples proposed at executive meetings.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Pyrtanis posted:

There are companies who separate vacation and sick time in the US. There's actually some kind of tax break for doing so (at least according to this CPA who takes out weird minute long ads on the college radio station in Council Bluffs IA).

It must not be an attractive break given how few places do it these days.

I work for a company that does, and it's kind of nice. Over 12 years, I've built up about 400 hours. This is even though I don't really hesitate to use it for medical appointments and general unplanned emergencies.

Bad news is that if I leave or get fired, it doesn't pay out. But I consider it a plus that if I were to get hit by a bus, between that and FMLA and short term disability, I'd be OK for a while? Maybe?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It's way, way cheaper to have the same pool for vacation and sick leave, because it means people will hoard their PTO in case they get sick. Fewer vacations = more employee time on task! Furthermore, 3 days sick leave, 4 days vacation looks much worse than 7 days PTO.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
We have separate sick and annual leave, and people keep asking why we can't combine them :psyduck: I want to know what the gently caress is wrong with these people. Plus you accrue more annual leave the longer you stick around. Baseline is 4 hrs vacation, then you get 5 at 5 years, 6 at 10. They decided to bypass 15 years for some reason, at 20 you get 7 hours per pay period, almost a full day every two weeks. Sick leave is just 4 hours a pay period forever. Do these idiots want less time off?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

We have separate sick and annual leave, and people keep asking why we can't combine them :psyduck: I want to know what the gently caress is wrong with these people. Plus you accrue more annual leave the longer you stick around. Baseline is 4 hrs vacation, then you get 5 at 5 years, 6 at 10. They decided to bypass 15 years for some reason, at 20 you get 7 hours per pay period, almost a full day every two weeks. Sick leave is just 4 hours a pay period forever. Do these idiots want less time off?

Statistically, based on how much they consume on average, yes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What happens if you're ill for longer time than you have sick days? It's not like you choose to get sick.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s unpaid time off instead I’d imagine

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

What happens if you're ill for longer time than you have sick days?

Capitalism. :smith:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

What happens if you're ill for longer time than you have sick days? It's not like you choose to get sick.

At my employer it's 'ask your boss for permission to take unpaid leave' if it's not something covered by short term disability

When my mom had a heart attack and I had to drop everything and haul rear end across the country to take care of her, I emptied out my vacation, floating holidays, sick leave, family leave, AND booked unpaid time off and it raised so many eyebrows in HR. I had to sign some agreement that was like 'since you're choosing to be away from work so long,' and gently caress you I didn't choose to have my mother have triple bypass

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 8, 2023

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

You will see HR emails asking coworkers to “donate” PTO to someone who just ran out, as if it were a finite resource. No word on what I’m supposed to do if I donate PTO and then also get sick and need it back.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

My employer is weird about time off. We get 19 vacation days a year, a six-week sabbatical every six years, and six sick "incidents" a year. An incident is paid sick time, but you need a doctor's note if you're out for more than three days. Plus Federal holidays including Juneteenth, and the week and a half winter shutdown time.

Weird but good. Employee retention is staggeringly high, one of my teammates is planning his sixth sabbatical.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We get a week of sick time (That rolls over so you can have up to 80 hours of sick time depending on how much you took last year) and three weeks of regular PTO.

But my boss doesn't care what we use for what, so last year he made fun of me for "Getting sick in advance" because I used some of my sick hours to take off around Christmas.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I get 120 hours of vacation time a year with a 180 hour cap where I can no longer roll time over year over year and 60 hours a year of sick time with a 200 hour cap. Plus every year I get 16 hours of personal time that have to be taken in 8 hour increments (2 individual days basically) that can only be scheduled ahead of time and is supposed to be used for birthdays or extending holidays. But my boss cares so little about enforcing the logging of the time in the HR system that I basically only "officially" use vacation hours to keep myself from hitting the cap and getting HR asking questions.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Lol I'm saving my PTO for the week I throw my keys across the counter, for some reason I get 2 weeks evey 6 months instead of 12 (because she did a find replace on "12 months" to transform it into a 6 month contract and didn't read either draft)

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I get all my sick/pto/fmla etc at the start of the calendar year.

Working for daddy warbucks has perks.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I've only had one job that did that and I loved it. Also made people space their vacations out more so managing workloads was easier

Barudak
May 7, 2007

China days off you have to make back up to the company. Oh, did the government say monday was a holiday? well if you want it off you're working saturday. Oh is it a major national holiday so it multiple days? Enjoy working 13 days straight dipshit this is China there are no breaks.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Pyrtanis posted:

My husband looks at me like I came from a third world hellhole when I tell him what was "normal" back in Arizona.

What evidence do you have that you didn't :patriot:

Azuth0667 posted:

Absolutely, I am fortunate enough to have tenure and somehow still be part of a strong union even though I am admin now. I can outright cite job description and push back on poor treatment when appropriate. I've worked non-union jobs for long enough to know that I'm never going to willingly do that again. I'll never understand the people at my current job that refuse to join the union because without fail they get the worst treatment. For example, we'll get a lovely policy that states something like employees have to contribute 30% more to maintain health benefits. At the end of the policy it'll say something like it only to applies to people not covered by the CBA. Yes, you have to pay dues but for those dues you get protected from the incredibly lovely policies that will get pushed. The back pay policy is a great example too. If you're non-union you won't get any backpay, if you are union you'll get backpay and something like 5% extra. Maybe I'm wrong and its really me with the broken brain but it sure doesn't look like it when I see policy worse than those examples proposed at executive meetings.

Sure that's how unions are ~supposed~ to work, but a lot of the time upper management and upper union have colluded together so they get your pound of flesh either way. Watch 1978's Blue Collar to see something closer to the union experience of a lot of Americans.

Barudak posted:

China days off you have to make back up to the company. Oh, did the government say monday was a holiday? well if you want it off you're working saturday. Oh is it a major national holiday so it multiple days? Enjoy working 13 days straight dipshit this is China there are no breaks.

Doesn't the entire country take a month off every year? I remember reading about some lady who got trapped in an elevator and nobody even came back into the building until weeks later and, well...

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Barudak posted:

To provide a more thorough explanation:

Lots of official government holidays in China are 1 or 2 days.
In other countries, they are typically put on a Friday or a Monday so all is well.
However in China the traditional calendar is Lunar, not Solar, which means most holidays occur on different days each year. As a result they are frequently not on Fridays or Mondays, and are stranded in the middle of the week.

In other countries, this too would not be a problem, but in China a lot of people live and work far away from their families, and as such a single day off doesn't give them time to get back to see that family.

So to address these two issues, the work calendar around holidays gets folded, spindled, and mutilated. The total number of work days remains the same (minus holiday days), but you can have stuff like wed-thur-fri off, sat-sun on, etc.

It's weird as hell at first.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

What evidence do you have that you didn't :patriot:

Sure that's how unions are ~supposed~ to work, but a lot of the time upper management and upper union have colluded together so they get your pound of flesh either way. Watch 1978's Blue Collar to see something closer to the union experience of a lot of Americans.

Doesn't the entire country take a month off every year? I remember reading about some lady who got trapped in an elevator and nobody even came back into the building until weeks later and, well...

No thank you, I've already had AFSCME through the AFL-CIO and they sold us out.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Barudak posted:

This seems unpatriotic.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

VictualSquid posted:

I was planning to have a long train ride today to a work thing tomorrow. The train started it's journey in our countries current corona outbreak spot, before travelling through my town.
Then the other office called of the meeting because everybody there has caught some unspecified illness.

I hope you didn't get COVID :)
I just learned that someone on our last trip came down with COVID and was out all last week. No one had been notified. We all heard it through the grapevine.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SubponticatePoster posted:

I used to work at a place where they merged sick and vacation. Then they lowered the cap on banked PTO, and made it so when you hit that cap, days just stopped accruing. You had to manually schedule a cash-out, which you can only do once a quarter. They were obviously hoping people would neglect to do that and just lose days, but managers were so pissed they set up outlook reminders and stuff to make sure their teams got what they were entitled to. The whole thing is so slimy.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Outrail posted:

America is a stack override fourth world shithole FYI.

My now ex girlfriend wanted me to move to the USA and I couldn't believe she was serious. :rubby:

Is that why she's an ex?

I guess you could say you...

Dodged a bullet.

(YEAAAAAHHHHH!)

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I used to work at a place where they merged sick and vacation. Then they lowered the cap on banked PTO, and made it so when you hit that cap, days just stopped accruing. You had to manually schedule a cash-out, which you can only do once a quarter. They were obviously hoping people would neglect to do that and just lose days, but managers were so pissed they set up outlook reminders and stuff to make sure their teams got what they were entitled to. The whole thing is so slimy.

Hah, this is exactly what the last hospital I worked for did! Except if you cashed it out you only got 75 cents on the dollar, allegedly to "encourage" people to actually take time off. Did I mention we were perpetually in a hiring freeze and you had to submit a PTO vacation request a month in advance?

gently caress I am so glad I'm not there any longer

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
We get 2 weeks of PTO to use however… after 5? Years it becomes 3 weeks. Typical holidays are already given off without hurting PTO. If you work a paid holiday, it counts as overtime automatically. Could be worse

Technically it’s supposed to be use-it-or-lose-it every year. But management has been pretty kind in knowing sometimes you can’t take off when you want, so they have typically turned a blind eye to it. I’ve had a huge backlog for years that I’m trying to use up. It’s gotten to the point that upper management is like, hey man, you gotta use this.

Last year I told my boss even if took off from thanksgiving thru Christmas I couldn’t use it all up, so I’m gonna just come in and leave whenever I want for the end of the year to try and put a dent in it. Worked well. May try again this year…

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I get seperate PTO and Sick days entirely based off hours worked, overtime means extra PTO and sick accrual, sick just builds up forever, PTO rolls over once a year and saves up to 120 hours... but only 80 hours past that 120 gets cashed out and anything else is lost... and you get a nice sit down with HR about not overworking yourself to death, please take a vacation, thank you.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Pyrtanis posted:

Hah, this is exactly what the last hospital I worked for did! Except if you cashed it out you only got 75 cents on the dollar, allegedly to "encourage" people to actually take time off. Did I mention we were perpetually in a hiring freeze and you had to submit a PTO vacation request a month in advance?

gently caress I am so glad I'm not there any longer

Hospital PTO is the most bizarre system of ever had.

17 days of PTO. You had to save 7 of them for use on holidays in which the admin office was closed. No, you cannot work those days and save it. No, you cannot take them unpaid and use the PTO another time. I have no idea why they chose the most convoluted route to say 10 days + holidays.

Sick time: you accrure half a day per pay period. So 13 days a year. They accrue indefinitely. However, using any of them without scheduling them in advance was an occurrence. 7 occurrence in a rolling 12 months was termination. And they wasn't really a discussion about it. Unless you had some documentation for disability they fired any and everyone who had 7 occurrences in 12 months. It was insane.

You could only schedule them in advance if you were using them for a procedure that required you to be put under anesthesia. So broke a leg? gently caress you. Colonoscopy? One day.

Any that you didn't use would be paid out when you left at the rate of 1 dollar for each hour of sick time you'd accrued.

You could also use your sick time in lieu of filing for short term disability if you were going to be out for an extended period following a surgery or something.

On the other hand, you could freely donate you PTO. Which seems stupid. But a rare loophole allowed one dude to make money on it.

He made like 36k a year. His wife made 150k a year and also worked there. Every year he'd donate his entire PTO bank to his wife and then take vacations with her unpaid. So they'd get double the time off paid out at her full salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Our PTO system isn't terrible, just unnecessarily complicated. 15 days, but 12 have to be spent in the Sep-Aug period for reasons. Kind of makes taking vacation over the holidays difficult the first year when you're obligated to nearly burn out 2 months before the season starts. There is flexibility to borrow PTO from the next year with management approval, but that wouldn't be necessary if they'd just issue the entire year's PTO on Sep 1 and go from there. No sick leave because being sick is the same thing as taking a vacation everybody knows that.