Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Okuteru posted:

If they ask you to come in regardless, cough in their face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

How's the size on the breathteqs? It looks like they're modeled after the aura which my face is too big for (bottom rides to my chin) Currently rocking vflexes which fit just fine.

They have a sample pack with all the sizes. I'm not sure what the exact price is. I'm a fan of them.

e: less than ten dollars for a sample pack. But consider saving your money if the vflexes are working for you.

Greg Legg has issued a correction as of 14:42 on Oct 8, 2023

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
Last month my partner had a pretty rough case of covid. Yesterday my mom said to my partner "I see now why you've been dreading getting it so much" and I can't stop thinking about it. Like, I know she was just talking casually and not trying to make an airtight logical statement, but it's stuck in my mind.

That is not the order of cause and effect! We aren't retroactively dreading it because my partner had a bad time in the future!

I don't know why that is bothering me so much, but it is.

edit to add: I have some sense of what bothers me about it, and it's something to do with the whole "assess your own personal risk" bullshit but I can't quite articulate it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

yoloer420 posted:

I'm surprised that any country still suggests isolating when you have covid.

I tested negative for COVID with some viral bs two weeks ago (now on sickness #3 in the first 4 weeks of school, all non COVID).

Drs office told me to stay home for at least five days and wear a mask if I needed to go anywhere. I've seen more masks in public lately than since 2021

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Pingui posted:

Considering how most people test and the variance between variants, I don't think this is such a hot idea. For thread readers using the low and slow method, it might have some marginal utility though:

Archived link: [url]https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/106679[/url]

I could barely see the line at one point after my Paxlovid regimen. The next day the positive line lit up so red it was purple before the control line even showed.

So yeah. You're still infectious until you consistently test negative.

mahler_biryani
Jan 28, 2023

Pingui posted:

So I want to ask: does anyone have some really good COVID news aggregators?

Early in the covid days, https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus used to be a good source. Surprised to find it still exists tbh.

Before I found the thread, my main source was nakedcapitalism.com. The website has taken covid seriously since the beginning and one of the few that continues to. However, they do occasionally boost borderline anti-vaxx views (sometimes clearly so) and they have a history of boosting ivermectin though less so now I think. None the less, their daily Links posts and the every weekday "Water Cooler" posts have a covid section. Some of the covid news ends up in other sections (Politics, Healthcare) too. I had stopped reading the site since I found the thread because I found the thread was a superset of relevant topics covered, and I didn't want to support the pro-ivermectin and vax/pax skeptical bend. I have reluctantly gone back to reading it recently partly because I've realized the thread is no longer a superset. I think an ex-poster here (ibid) had either a similarly curated twitter feed or was reading the same site (or both). Anyway, I guess I am mentioning it for purely selfish reasons. I wish I could commit to filling this gap, but I am fundamentally a lurker not a poster :sweatdrop:.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Much like Covid, Covid news only comes in waves

mahler_biryani
Jan 28, 2023
I am here with another sad anecdote. My sister has covid after 3+ years of avoiding it and less than 2 months after her son entered preschool/daycare. It has been more than 2 weeks now, but here is the progression of events.

Day 1. Her son is sent away from preschool with pink eye. My sister takes him to the doctor who says it is likely viral but here are antibiotic drops anyway.

Day 2. My sister has new respiratory symptoms (they had been on and off since preschool started along with her son's illnesses).

Day 3. I find out about this, let her know pink eye is a covid symptom and urge to test. My sister test positive but very faint. Her son tests positive also. I convince her to get paxlovid.

Day 4 She is having second thoughts about starting paxlovid since the test was so faint. Tries out a few more RATs all negative, I drop off the last non-expired Lucira I have--negative again.

Day 5 I finally convince her that she must have covid as one RAT being positive is always enough and the fact that her son is positive in combination with her symptoms means she should start paxlovid (Note this is day 4 of her symptoms). She starts paxlovid, but also pays for PCR test.

Day 6 PCR test that she paid a big chunk of money for specifically because they promised 5AM next day results.... does not have results. "The truck that was supposed to deliver tests to the lab never showed up." She receives another shipment of the same brand of RAT as the one that she originally tested positive with (inteliswab) and tests positive again.

Day 7 PCR test comes back negative (!)

Day 10 5 day course of paxlovid ends. She continues with the second course.

Day 11-15 Symptoms turn for the worse. Severe sore throat. She starts consistently testing positive on RATs.

Day 16-17 Symptoms start to recede, starts to test negative again. Still severe fatigue/exhaustion.

The main reason I wanted to post this is the super inconsistent results with all kinds of tests, including PCR. This is incredibly frustrating knowledge to have. When I was traveling and had my mystery disease, I tested around a dozen times with RATs and once with PCR all came negative, but the antibody tests confirm we all had COVID. My son tested positive on RATs but negative on PCR (which was taken on day 8 of symptoms, mine was day 2). I have followed the low n slow and tried my best with the mouth and throat swab plus coughing on swab (though the throat swab I am not sure I've mastered, gag reflex too strong). Also frustrating is the seemingly low correlation of symptom strength and paxlovid for my sister.

On a related topic, my sister has been crack pinging hard over the course of her disease. Here are a few examples. She picked the particular preschool because they claimed to be serious about covid. Of course, a few weeks after she committed, we find out the director was pushed out, partially because she has long covid and partially because she wanted to continue taking covid seriously. Still, the rules say that after exposure the entire class must be masked for 10 days (teachers and kids). She notifies them of her son's positive covid test and they reply with "Thanks, but he was out with pink eye one day before testing positive, so nobody got exposed to covid". Crack ping!

My sister works at a public school and when she emailed the principal notifying of her positive test, the principal said "there are no guidelines anymore, covid is like a cold, you should come back to work or burn sick days your choice". Crack ping 2.

When my sister's symptoms turned for the worse, she emailed her doctor who replied "prolonged symptoms that last weeks is normal. As long as you don't experience shortness of breath or worsening cough you are fine. You are not contagious anymore". She also thought the doctor was her personal friend (they have social connections). Crack ping 3.

I guess I should buy her an account.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
The way we blew right through pretty much only trumpers saying "covid is like the flu" all the way through to mass adoption of "covid is just a cold now" was pretty amazing.

People are just not built to rationally evaluate something that only has a very negative consequence a small % of the time.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Yes, that is why everyone I know has cut through their seat belt straps and leaves the little nub connected and no one pasteurizes their milk either. It is human nature...

mahler_biryani
Jan 28, 2023
For what it's worth, I think the hardest crack ping was the doctor saying "you are fine" unless the symptoms imply imminent hospitalization.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
i had someone on bluesky imply that getting the flu wasnt a big deal either and at least it doesnt cause hospitalizations !!!! and I'm just at a loss for how loving stupid and hosed up our public health teachings are.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Psycho Society posted:

Yes, that is why everyone I know has cut through their seat belt straps and leaves the little nub connected and no one pasteurizes their milk either. It is human nature...

I mean, the systemic reaction can be terrible and the average personal risk assessment can also, separately, be terrible; I in fact have known very few people in my life who care about seatbelt use beyond thinking it a sign of cowardice (with the caveat that a decent chunk just don't think about it all and put on their belt solely so the car stops beeping at them). I have known people who would drive with the car seatbelt warning beeping at them every time they drove, every day, because they refused to wear the belt on principle. I have definitely also at least overheard conversations about people going out of their way and paying more for unpasteurized products because that's closer to nature which must be good

Like, I know what you're saying, there's an artificial pressure being exerted to establish a norm more useful to capital in this instance, and it's all part of a larger systemic issue, but I felt the need to clarify we should not pretend the average person is necessarily very good at rational risk assessment. :v:

silicone thrills posted:

i had someone on bluesky imply that getting the flu wasnt a big deal either and at least it doesnt cause hospitalizations !!!! and I'm just at a loss for how loving stupid and hosed up our public health teachings are.

We publish statistics on flu deaths year over year, but the vibe is that the flu is nbd so emotional reasoning wins again

and anyways they probably don't PERSONALLY know anyone who died to the flu
and if they did the person must have just been weak and/or unlucky oh well nothing to be done about it

I said it in the previous thread but I'll reiterate here, maybe the most actually frustrating part of this pandemic hasn't been the predictable minimization from libs or denial from chuds, but seeing so many supposed leftist/progressive/communist/what-have-you folks rankle at the idea of mask-wearing to protect vulnerable people or even themselves. It's such an incredibly low bar for any kind of supposedly humanist philosophy and a huge proportion of people beefed it.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
several million people die unnecessarily

ah dang just really goofed that one up beefed it up bad shucks

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

silicone thrills posted:

It's pretty common for people to misdiagnose a bad cold with the flu. In actuality we only catch actual influenza 1-2x a decade, so generally anyone who claims to "get the flu" every winter is full of poo poo. I can remember every time I've had the flu in the last 20 years because it hits like a loving truck. Just abject misery that no headcold can hold a candle to.

The last time I got the flu it was a solid month before I was over being tired all the time.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Yeah the last time I got the flu was in 2011? ish and I spent the entire time in bed sweating through my sheets and feeling like my bones were breaking. poo poo was super loving scary.

In like 2004ish my boyfriend got the flu and ended up hospitalized due to dehydration.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Baddog posted:

The way we blew right through pretty much only trumpers saying "covid is like the flu" all the way through to mass adoption of "covid is just a cold now" was pretty amazing.

People are just not built to rationally evaluate something that only has a very negative consequence a small % of the time.

20% of people getting post acute covid sequelae doesnt really seem like a small percent.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I caught the flu for the first time in my life about three months after I started teaching, went to the doctor and he told me to stay home for five days. At the time I didn't really get that the flu wasn't just a cold and figured I would use the time off to get some shopping done. I tried to walk up one (1) flight of stairs in the mall and felt like I was gonna die. The flu sucks!

Still dunno whether what I had this last week was covid or not. I tested negative on 4 RATs, but I also mostly lost my sense of smell for a couple of days and that's never happened with a cold. I'm just going to assume I had a "mild" case and take it easy for the next couple of weeks.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Yeah the last time I got the flu was in 2011? ish and I spent the entire time in bed sweating through my sheets and feeling like my bones were breaking. poo poo was super loving scary.

In like 2004ish my boyfriend got the flu and ended up hospitalized due to dehydration.

COVID is just the flu man. Like when I had the flu in ~2007 and was in the ER w/o insurance and had to drop out of school and lost my job and both my school and hospital sent my bills to collections. Just a mild summer flu.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i had the flu winter of 2018

I got on two airplanes, traveled on a semi-truck across the country, then performed physical labor for nearly 10 hours before collapsing in a hotel room. i was absolutely miserable and had to stay an extra night in the hotel doing nothing before i had the energy to get on a plane to return home.

all of that was WITH going to the doctor when i felt ill and being prescribed tamiflu!!! the pharmacist also immediately gave another prescription to my wife, saying "she's gonna need this too"

both things are crazy to me today: that i would perform all that travel and labor while sick, and that the medical system immediately and without thought gave me and my wife antiviral medications.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

puncturewound78 posted:

20% of people getting post acute covid sequelae doesnt really seem like a small percent.

Yeah but it turns out that that is fine because other viruses also cause similar (?) post‐viral conditions at rates that are within two (?) orders of magnitude of SARS‑CoV‑2.

It’s the good severe acute respiratory syndrome, the one that you want to get.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I have had the flu, or something like it, several times in my life; fever dreams for multiple days where you feel like you're hovering in between life and death is way less cool than it sounds.

I have not had an illness of any description since 2020, which is a wild and new chapter in my life and I only wish I had started taking this masking and clean air business more seriously years ago.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

right???? I’ve been ill once in like four years, and it was food poisoning a few weeks ago

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

i don't remember if/when i've had the flu in my adult life. but i do remember when i had strep as a teen. and holy gently caress.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
It's funny to me how people are so outraged they "had to" mask for a little bit, meanwhile I'm pissed at myself for not thinking things through and wearing an N95 pre-pandemic. All of those infuriating workplace and grocery store and doctor office colds could have been avoided. Getting sick sucks and so does getting other people sick.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I said it in the previous thread but I'll reiterate here, maybe the most actually frustrating part of this pandemic hasn't been the predictable minimization from libs or denial from chuds, but seeing so many supposed leftist/progressive/communist/what-have-you folks rankle at the idea of mask-wearing to protect vulnerable people or even themselves. It's such an incredibly low bar for any kind of supposedly humanist philosophy and a huge proportion of people beefed it.

:hai:

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Friends gave their kids tamiflu when their kid got covid symptoms.

"uhhh does he actually have the flu?? Did you test?"
"nah just a little sore throat, tired, cough, prolly just a cold"
"ummm, so you're giving your kid an antiviral for something that you don't even think they have?"

People just have no loving idea how poo poo works. I don't even know how they got it, probably an old prescription? Pretty sure they thought the kid had covid, but you're gonna give 'em an antiviral for the wrong virus?

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
I had the flu the winter of 1991-1992 when an outbreak left pretty much every classroom with like 6 or 7 kids attending a day. I was pretty much flattened for a week straight and was vomiting any time I tried to move, and I still wonder sometimes if unexplainable memories I have are actually flu fever dreams. If "just the flu" was something you could get once a year let alone multiple times, I'd still never take my respirator off.

Also, my FIL and his wife took a trip to Boston. Just found out she's sick with "Not COVID" (?) and he's not isolating from her or wearing a mask. We sent the links in the OP about proper testing, I'm sure they'll be ignored but gotta try.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
https://twitter.com/SolidEvidence/status/1711028534863425833

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Baddog posted:

It really is just in that perfect spot where it's deadly enough to be a real threat in global terms, but not deadly enough to seem like a threat in personal terms. "It really is a miracle of evolution," as the shark expert guy in Jaws said.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Baddog posted:

Friends gave their kids tamiflu when their kid got covid symptoms.

"uhhh does he actually have the flu?? Did you test?"
"nah just a little sore throat, tired, cough, prolly just a cold"
"ummm, so you're giving your kid an antiviral for something that you don't even think they have?"

People just have no loving idea how poo poo works. I don't even know how they got it, probably an old prescription? Pretty sure they thought the kid had covid, but you're gonna give 'em an antiviral for the wrong virus?

If they're like the folks I know, they probably think antivirals is just like antibiotics. It doesn't really matter which kind it is, it'll work just fine. All bacteria is the same after all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s always been true that most people will make full recoveries.

This was a really stupid point when all the president’s men repeated it in 2020.

In 2023, it’s an excellent point, repeated by top thinkers, experts on every field, with unparalleled investigative skills and fearlessness.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Why Am I So Tired posted:

It's funny to me how people are so outraged they "had to" mask for a little bit, meanwhile I'm pissed at myself for not thinking things through and wearing an N95 pre-pandemic. All of those infuriating workplace and grocery store and doctor office colds could have been avoided. Getting sick sucks and so does getting other people sick.

But if you wear a mask, how will you enjoy your time in line at the DMV?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Your mistake was believing most of the people around you hold any kind of ideology or philosophy at all.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of a good deal for RATs?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Fansy posted:

Anyone know of a good deal for RATs?

did you get your free 2023 tests

https://special.usps.com/testkits

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

did you get your free 2023 tests

https://special.usps.com/testkits

Those fuckers are so old. When I opened them up it felt like Biden spit directly into my face.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

The Oldest Man posted:

Your mistake was believing most of the people around you hold any kind of ideology or philosophy at all.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

The Oldest Man posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

silicone thrills posted:

I think it's one of those things like food or driving, everybody has some kind of experience with the topic and is pretty sure they're an expert. I got the flu once and didn't go to the hospital, therefore