Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which bear is fat bear?
This poll is closed.
480 Otis 7 11.48%
409 Beadnose 0 0%
747 26 42.62%
435 Holly 10 16.39%
A New Challenger 18 29.51%
Total: 61 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah, at least from the pov of Israel's enemies, if there ever was a fortuitous moment to kick something off against israel then this likely would be it. things are no doubt a shitshow on a bunch of levels because of the judicial overhaul and yeah US ability to provide support is almost certainly at the lowest point it will be for a while regardless of whatever statements to the contrary are made publicly.

this wasn't that long ago and if your fighter pilots are making insubordinate noises then jfc you've got some big problems. and that was before they ended up passing that judicial overhaul
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-64866873

What support would Israel need from the US that they don’t already have? I’m no expert but seems like they already have diplomatic cover as Hamas is seen as the aggressor, trump giving them a total pass has mostly continued under Biden, they probably have plenty of ammo and they don’t need advanced anti-armor or fighters, and US would never send troops anyway, what else is there? Not trying to be flippant just not sure what we didn’t already give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

TheWeedNumber posted:

idk how to tell you my nigga but the Arabs would have killed them all by now if they could. Certainly during the Cold War for sure. Did they turn into monsters in the process, yep Israel sure is that hosed up apartheid state. Does my daddy still brag about when Jews get smoked and it makes the news? Yes. Did he tell his 12 year old son, beaming with pride, about the time he and the platoon he commanded played soccer with Israeli skulls during the Yom Kippur war? Also yes.

Ain’t no good here. It’s hosed all around. Everyone involved is indoc’d to hate and kill to various degrees. But yeah, sure, the militants who were gonna kill Jews just to kill them anyway are the good guys tm. Roger that b.

drat dude that’s a messed up story

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, there's no support that even the wildest "forever war in the holy land to bring about the second coming" types could come up with to send to Israel that they don't already either possess or have the capacity to produce themselves. It's not like the war in Ukraine where the US-aligned side is being attacked by a nuclear weapons power with near-limitless manpower; they are the nuclear weapons power with near-limitless manpower.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

; they are the nuclear weapons power with near-limitless manpower.

Yea, I don't think it needs saying in here but randos out in the world probably forgot, this isnt a plucky upstart trying to fight off the "arab hordes" this is basically a nuclear armed state, armed with nearly the latest and greatest tech, with a home grown military industrial complex, against a group of people using the best that can make it through smuggling and plucky at home engineering. Israels big ask from the international community is probably along the lines of "if you hear screaming dont do anything about it" rather than a want for resources.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s about as lopsided as if the United States went to war with Baja California.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
There's videos on X / Twitter where Hamas corralled a bunch of women and young girls and called them sex slaves.

There's video of them riding around in a pickup with the dead body of a half naked woman, with people spitting on her corpse. Apparently it was a German tourist who was captured by Hamas at a peace promoting music festival.

There's video of a woman being driven away to unspeakable horrors and her screaming.

There's videos of dozens of dead unarmed civilians piled in a room with Hamas still shooting the bodies.

This is ISIS level terror.

gently caress anyone who justifies this poo poo.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 8, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Platystemon posted:

It’s about as lopsided as if the United States went to war with Baja California.

much closer in terms of population, GDP and land area would be Switzerland vs Columbus OH

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

much closer in terms of population, GDP and land area would be Switzerland vs Columbus OH

This made me look it up, and the Swiss Armed Forces have over 100,000 active personnel.

God drat, Switzerland.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

This made me look it up, and the Swiss Armed Forces have over 100,000 active personnel.

God drat, Switzerland.
They will remain neutral by force, goddammit.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Bored As gently caress posted:

There's videos on X / Twitter where Hamas corralled a bunch of women and young girls and called them sex slaves.

There's video of them riding around in a pickup with the dead body of a half naked woman, with people spitting on her corpse. Apparently it was a German tourist who was captured by Hamas at a peace promoting music festival.

There's video of a woman being driven away to unspeakable horrors and her screaming.

There's videos of dozens of dead unarmed civilians piled in a room with Hamas still shooting the bodies.

This is ISIS level terror.

gently caress anyone who justifies this poo poo.

To say that this is entirely a problem of Israel's own making, that they are currently reaping, isn't justification. Their next steps are entirely too predictable. They will earn praise as long as they don't butcher the civilian population while Gaza and the West Bank continue to be strangled and de facto apartheid continues to be the law of the land.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Hey, why is it that whenever a state built on Racism and Oppression starts FINDING OUT, people start pearl clutching "BUT THE WOMEN WILL SUFFER".

IN the Civil War and during Reconstruction, everyone talking about how the Yankees would "Defame the honor of the Southern Lady" and how Carpetbaggers and hordes of Negroes would do unspeakable things to Southern Women

In Rhodesia, you had that too, lots of talk about what the Black Communist Hordes would do to the Good White Women of Rhodesia

Same thing in Apartheid South Africa

Same thing in loving Sparta, with the fear that the Helots would do unspeakable things to the Spartiate women.

Same thing in Saint Domingue, this time back with Black Slaves and White Women.

Same thing in Korea and China, with Japanese women and Chinese or Korean Men.

Same thing in the many, many Irish revolts against English Rule.

We're probably going to hear the same thing if Ukraine ever retakes Crimea!

Edit: Oppression and settler Colonialism has many tactics to justify itself. One of the most enduring one of those, that some of the posters in this very thread are complicit in, is the whole "These monsters will do horrible things to OUR WOMEN, THE MONSTERS" thing. That somehow, women in a society based on oppression and genocide and sometimes Slavery aren't also culpable for the actions of that society. That the slavering hordes will do horrible, unpseakable things to them which is WHY we need to do violence to them.

It's pretty hosed up and i'm dissapointed in anyone who pushes that kind of tack.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 8, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What support would Israel need from the US that they don’t already have? I’m no expert but seems like they already have diplomatic cover as Hamas is seen as the aggressor, trump giving them a total pass has mostly continued under Biden, they probably have plenty of ammo and they don’t need advanced anti-armor or fighters, and US would never send troops anyway, what else is there? Not trying to be flippant just not sure what we didn’t already give.

I'm saying that specifically in the context of the hypothetical of this escalating into the greater regional conflict, eg the one that Iran has envisioned and Israel has been dipping its toes into for years. In that situation I am significantly skeptical that Israel has everything it would conceivably need. Thankfully that is still a hypothetical. How much and how effectively Israel has been preparing for an actual war vs just continuing to put down people barely able to fight back is really anyone's guess.

On a related note,

https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-quietly-shipping-ammo-to-ukraine-from-massive-stockpile-in-israel-report/

I don't really buy that one war has completely different fundamental needs from another war.

Hopefully this doesn't continue to escalate :smith:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Fivemarks posted:

Hey, why is it that whenever a state built on Racism and Oppression starts FINDING OUT, people start pearl clutching "BUT THE WOMEN WILL SUFFER".

IN the Civil War and during Reconstruction, everyone talking about how the Yankees would "Defame the honor of the Southern Lady" and how Carpetbaggers and hordes of Negroes would do unspeakable things to Southern Women

In Rhodesia, you had that too, lots of talk about what the Black Communist Hordes would do to the Good White Women of Rhodesia

Same thing in loving Sparta, with the fear that the Helots would do unspeakable things to the Spartiate women.

Edit: Oppression and settler Colonialism has many tactics to justify itself. One of the most enduring one of those, that some of the posters in this very thread are complicit in, is the whole "These monsters will do horrible things to OUR WOMEN, THE MONSTERS" thing. That somehow, women in a society based on oppression and genocide and sometimes Slavery aren't also culpable for the actions of that society. That the slavering hordes will do horrible, unpseakable things to them which is WHY we need to do violence to them.

It's pretty hosed up and i'm dissapointed in anyone who pushes that kind of tack.

Quoting this so that you can’t edit it out later because dude what the gently caress is this post.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Fivemarks posted:

For posterity

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
…what the gently caress?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Quoting this so that you can’t edit it out later because dude what the gently caress is this post.

the internet was a mistake

brains
May 12, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Two certainties: 1) Israel is going to kill a bunch of people now and 2) absolutely everyone is going to be spinning this incessantly in favor of their own narrative.

Imo Israeli intelligence has certainly earned much of its reputation for a reason but also it's not at all hard to think that a combination of complacency and over-confidence wrt Palestinians enabled this. I find that vastly more likely than the 'they let this happen' speculation. There's so much precedent for countries basically buying their own propaganda until they badly underestimate an opponent.

As an aside, the depth of sentiment supporting Palestine, or more precisely, that perceives ongoing Israeli repression of Palestinians as the greatest ongoing injustice of the region is hard to overstate and it's always loving wild to me how much widespread perception of that fact among Americans and Euros has fallen off. It's widespread in the Sunni Arab world and it's widespread among Shias. Idk it's by far the most obvious completely unresolved point of conflict and it is always wild to me that it mostly just gets ignored or, at best, downplayed.

anyways poo poo sucks, I see no good resolution to any of this and I just hope it doesn't turn into a larger regional blowup, though I think some of the parties involved would like for that to be the outcome

yeah you had very important parts of the Israeli military openly stating that they would not follow orders in the leadup to the judicial overhaul (ahem) and Israel's main ally stretched thin between Ukraine and the priority of providing a credible deterrence in Taiwan that if there ever was going to be the time to do something it would be right now

sunni governments could not, and i can't express this enough, care less about palestinians. they might bang the drum about arab oppression for domestic consumption, but the governments in the region 100% do not give a single poo poo about the actual palestinian people. the average sentiment in these countries may be hateful towards israel and jews, but the actions of the governments over the last 30 years are diametric. the egyptians are active military partners with the IAF, and the jordanians are similarly cooperative, just more quietly. what was likely the impetus for hamas to launch this attack was the prospect of saudi warming relations to the level of egypt.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

brains posted:

sunni governments could not, and i can't express this enough, care less about palestinians. they might bang the drum about arab oppression for domestic consumption, but the governments in the region 100% do not give a single poo poo about the actual palestinian people. the average sentiment in these countries may be hateful towards israel and jews, but the actions of the governments over the last 30 years are diametric. the egyptians are active military partners with the IAF, and the jordanians are similarly cooperative, just more quietly. what was likely the impetus for hamas to launch this attack was the prospect of saudi warming relations to the level of egypt.

I said sunni arab world not sunni governments. sunni arab governments indeed do not give a single gently caress about palestinians in any way that actually appears to matter.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

I think the imperialism debate is kinda nuanced when it comes to the Holy Land in general, it was being conquered well, well before the aftermath of the second World War.

I really wish people would stop fighting over the place where a couple false prophets died. I especially wish they would stop murdering civilians over it. I know that's wishy washy as gently caress, but it just loving sucks for no good reason.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Elviscat posted:

I especially wish they would stop murdering civilians over it. I know that's wishy washy as gently caress, but it just loving sucks for no good reason.

That isn't wishy washy so much as correct and humane

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Elviscat posted:

I really wish people would stop fighting over the place where a couple false prophets died. I especially wish they would stop murdering civilians over it. I know that's wishy washy as gently caress, but it just loving sucks for no good reason.

This is the only rational response IMO.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
This entire debacle is just going to cause mass suffering on both sides. Which was probably Hamas's aim. That, and to gently caress up the warming of relations between Saudi Arabia and Israel.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...5806_story.html

hezbollah firing into Israel from the northern border, Israel responding. appears to be relatively small scale so far

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Fivemarks posted:

I don't see any difference between Israel and Rhodesia, except that one group of white people had the added smokescreen for settler colonialism of "Jewish".

This needs to be quoted for posterity as well. JFC.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
In better news, a new Steve1989MRE video is out.

https://youtu.be/fujoYuQ4VXE?si=dZVVqlloRLddoctx

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
O.K. that looks pretty good, but I’ve read enough about Canadian procurement to know that it’s got to have cost an absurd amount.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everyone in this thread should already know this, but since when has already knowing something gotten you out of a briefing on it?

https://twitter.com/BenjaminGoggin/status/1710759937243017541

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
on the other hand wasting twitter's money is good and cool

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Elviscat posted:

I think calling it just a religious conflict is a bit disingenious. The Palestinian issue is just as much(in fact, probably more!) because the land is where they lived, where their families lived, where their ancestors lived... and someone just moved in and shoved them out of their homes, pushed them into ever smaller sections of it, demolished their old homes, cut down their farms and groves, set up their own settlements there and now rolls into their new, smaller living space and occasionally kills and kidnaps some of them.

Obviously the ultra-right Israeli motiviation is very religious, and when they gently caress around with places like the Al-Aqsa mosque, religion makes it extra bullshit for the Palestinians, but the fundamental conflict is about stolen land and stolen homes, and all the crimes and atrocities committed in the process.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Elviscat posted:

"my people" are killing and dying, throughout the Muslim world and across the historical record, for a lie. You know how many times I've been told in the masjid or by other muslims that the Quran can't be changed. If you gently caress with so much as a syllable everyone will know and therefore you can't fabricate this bitch. Pops even told me some fanciful poo poo like "yo you wanna know the real Quran, go to the desert with the Bedouins in Saudi, their poo poo never changed."

Even the wikipedia skim is enough to let a dude know ain't no angels talked to that motherfucker. Its a flawed human creation. A divine text doesn't have "more than a hundred aberrations" from how Arabic as a language is supposed to work. No one should be talking about "every fifth or so sentence" just doesn't make sense. If I had to actually dig into the academic research on this poo poo I'm sure the flaws will get bigger and wider than goatman's butthole.

I really wanna say some poo poo like "how can you kill for a lie" but then I caught myself and remembered where I am. Hahahahaa we all know about that or supporting that don't we?

tl;dr misanthropy is starting to look real good to me on some days. Why do we kill each other? For loving what? Was it that important in the end? It don't look that way from here.

anyway, wake me up when bibi tries the ethnic cleansing speed run or some poo poo, ma salaam habibis

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

pmchem posted:

drat dude that’s a messed up story

war does strange things to the mind and makes the bizarre acceptable. throw in what I inferred as spetsnaz dudes in leningrad training him even harder* than the Thunderbolt dudes in Egypt and mix in pure hate for jews + propaganda and you get a mofo who'll break bread with a jew here in a America but call me up at 8pm talking about "DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE GUY WHO SHOT THE ISRAELS IN THE SINAI. HE'S A loving COMMANDO JUST LIKE YOUR DAD. EGYPTIAN ARMY. SIX DEAD. loving COMMANDO..."

*looks up the incident* smdh dad you can't even get the numbers right *tunes back into the convo* "....loving COMMANDO I TELL YOU WHAT. Hey when are you gonna come visit I miss you habibi, its been four years. I love you son."

*e.g. the egyptian army's thunderbolt academy or w/e you call their schoolhouse apparently liked to whip the trainees in the pool for not swimming fast enough, if it gives you any taste of their methodology. W/e it takes to get dudes to throw themselves ONTO a machinegun bunker on the barlev line, dying to let his homies frag and clear it right?

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 8, 2023

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
oh hey speaking of egyptians smoking ISRAELS

https://www.ft.com/content/6ed733f0-6a83-4979-914d-38419ef7b352

i was googling what pops called me about that day and GUESS WHAT JUST HAPPENED AN HOUR AGO (or was reported an hour ago anyway)

quote:

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at https://www.ft.com/tour.
https://www.ft.com/content/6ed733f0-6a83-4979-914d-38419ef7b352

An Egyptian policeman shot and killed two Israeli tourists in the Mediterranean port city of Alexandria on Sunday, according to reports citing the interior ministry. An Egyptian civilian was also killed in the shooting before the policeman was detained.

The Israeli foreign ministry said a third Israeli had been injured in the attack and was in a “moderate” condition, and that it was working with the Egyptian authorities to repatriate the Israeli citizens as quickly as possible.

The foreign ministry did not identify the Israelis involved but said the Egyptian who was killed had been their tour guide as they visited a Roman site in the city.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Some loving gross takes in the thread.

I'm hesitant to post this because almost every time I've tried to talk about persistent antisemitism laundering in the western narrative of Israel's genocide of the Palestinian people on SA I've gotten blood libeled and had posters accusing me of believing things I explicitly said I stand against. So please take what I say in good faith. So let's get the disclaimers out of the way, genocide is bad, racism is bad, misogyny is bad, homophobia and transphobia are bad, and the Israeli apartheid state is bad because it loves to do all of those to an ever increasing degree. I am Jewish and I don't see the Israeli state as a legitimate Jewish state because of its crimes against humanity.

If we have to make a historical analogy it's hard because nothing comparable exists but it sure as hell ain't loving Rhodesia. If we're really going here then the closest appropriate analogy is Liberia. Question for the group, was the repatriation movement to send African-American slaves back to Africa a settler-colonial movement? How would you feel if in the 1920s as a response to the second rise of the KKK hundreds of thousands to millions of African Americans began moving to European colonies in Africa and forming independence movements?

A defining component for Jewish culture for the past two millennia is the belief that the Jewish people are indigenous to the land of Israel and that someday the diaspora would end. This belief was hardened through centuries of persecution, displacement, cultural and actual genocide further cementing the idea that the Jewish people will always be seen as outsiders and never fully welcome in any other country.

A defining feature of western antisemitism has been the Christian belief of supersessionism, the idea that the Jewish people broke the convenient of God by denying Jesus, and therefore the Christian faithful are the rightful inheritors of the covenant and the holy land. Supersessionism persisted as a concept well after the Holocaust and founding of Israel. The Catholic Church didn't seriously refute it until Vatican 2.

Using the settler-colonial narrative to describe Israel is inherently casting judgement on the legitimacy of an entire ethno-religious minority's cultural beliefs and foundation and does so in a way that aligns with one of the West's oldest anti-Semitic tropes.

This is complicated by the illegal west bank settlements and settler movement. IMHO yeah go ahead and call them settlements because it's a violation of Israel's own laws and treaty obligations. And the reality is that the Palestinians are not responsible for the diaspora and have an equally legitimate claim to the land as their home, they deserve a space for their own state and self determination as much as the Jewish people do.

I believe finding an ending to this that doesn't involve ethnic cleansing would be easier and would have been easier if we could actually acknowledge the role western antisemitism played in creating, developing, and legitimizing the modern Zionist movement and also the western guilt over it's antisemitism in the wake of the Holocaust played in enabling the situation to deteriorate. This situation didn't happen in a vacuum. I also unfortunately don't believe that there can be an ending without extreme violence and human suffering at this point but I occasionally think about praying to the God I don't believe in that I'm wrong.

There are plenty of ways rightly condemn Israel without veering into places that get very racist very quickly. Please be careful when using settler language to stick to the illegal occupation settlements and stay away from getting into discussions about whether the Jewish people have legitimate beliefs about their homeland. Israel is a violent, racist, apartheid state that's genociding the Palestinian people. So it's easy to condemn the actions done in the name of that belief without getting into the racist weeds of deciding when you can declare the belief illegitimate.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rhodesia posted:

Rhodesia (/roʊˈdiːʒə/ ⓘ, /roʊˈdiːʃə/; Shona: Rodizha), officially from 1970 the Republic of Rhodesia, was an unrecognised state in Southern Africa from 1965 to 1979, equivalent in territory to modern Zimbabwe. Rhodesia was the de facto successor state to the British colony of Southern Rhodesia, which had been self-governing since achieving responsible government in 1923. A landlocked nation, Rhodesia was bordered by South Africa to the south, Bechuanaland (later Botswana) to the southwest, Zambia (formerly Northern Rhodesia) to the northwest, and Mozambique (a Portuguese province until 1975) to the east. From 1965 to 1979, Rhodesia was one of two independent states on the African continent governed by a white minority of European descent and culture, the other being South Africa

Israel posted:

In the 19th century, Jews began immigrating to the area as part of the Zionist movement. After World War I, the allied powers assigned the Mandate for Palestine to Britain, which during the war made a declaration of support for the establishment of a national home for the Jewish people in Palestine. Following World War II and the Holocaust, the newly formed United Nations adopted the Partition Plan for Palestine, recommending the creation of independent Arab and Jewish states, and placing Jerusalem under international control. In the final months of the British Mandate, a civil war broke out between the Palestinian Arabs and the Yishuv, beginning the first stage of the 1948 Palestine war. The British terminated the Mandate on 14 May 1948, and Israel declared independence that day.

Two minority ethnostates founded by the British.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

Two minority ethnostates founded by the British.

The Dutch settled southern Africa. The British ended up seizing the territory in the 20th century.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sorry, abandoned by*

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm hesitant to post this because almost every time I've tried to talk about persistent antisemitism laundering in the western narrative of Israel's genocide of the Palestinian people on SA I've gotten blood libeled and had posters accusing me of believing things I explicitly said I stand against. So please take what I say in good faith. So let's get the disclaimers out of the way, genocide is bad, racism is bad, misogyny is bad, homophobia and transphobia are bad, and the Israeli apartheid state is bad because it loves to do all of those to an ever increasing degree. I am Jewish and I don't see the Israeli state as a legitimate Jewish state because of its crimes against humanity.

If we have to make a historical analogy it's hard because nothing comparable exists but it sure as hell ain't loving Rhodesia. If we're really going here then the closest appropriate analogy is Liberia. Question for the group, was the repatriation movement to send African-American slaves back to Africa a settler-colonial movement? How would you feel if in the 1920s as a response to the second rise of the KKK hundreds of thousands to millions of African Americans began moving to European colonies in Africa and forming independence movements?

A defining component for Jewish culture for the past two millennia is the belief that the Jewish people are indigenous to the land of Israel and that someday the diaspora would end. This belief was hardened through centuries of persecution, displacement, cultural and actual genocide further cementing the idea that the Jewish people will always be seen as outsiders and never fully welcome in any other country.

A defining feature of western antisemitism has been the Christian belief of supersessionism, the idea that the Jewish people broke the convenient of God by denying Jesus, and therefore the Christian faithful are the rightful inheritors of the covenant and the holy land. Supersessionism persisted as a concept well after the Holocaust and founding of Israel. The Catholic Church didn't seriously refute it until Vatican 2.

Using the settler-colonial narrative to describe Israel is inherently casting judgement on the legitimacy of an entire ethno-religious minority's cultural beliefs and foundation and does so in a way that aligns with one of the West's oldest anti-Semitic tropes.

This is complicated by the illegal west bank settlements and settler movement. IMHO yeah go ahead and call them settlements because it's a violation of Israel's own laws and treaty obligations. And the reality is that the Palestinians are not responsible for the diaspora and have an equally legitimate claim to the land as their home, they deserve a space for their own state and self determination as much as the Jewish people do.

I believe finding an ending to this that doesn't involve ethnic cleansing would be easier and would have been easier if we could actually acknowledge the role western antisemitism played in creating, developing, and legitimizing the modern Zionist movement and also the western guilt over it's antisemitism in the wake of the Holocaust played in enabling the situation to deteriorate. This situation didn't happen in a vacuum. I also unfortunately don't believe that there can be an ending without extreme violence and human suffering at this point but I occasionally think about praying to the God I don't believe in that I'm wrong.

There are plenty of ways rightly condemn Israel without veering into places that get very racist very quickly. Please be careful when using settler language to stick to the illegal occupation settlements and stay away from getting into discussions about whether the Jewish people have legitimate beliefs about their homeland. Israel is a violent, racist, apartheid state that's genociding the Palestinian people. So it's easy to condemn the actions done in the name of that belief without getting into the racist weeds of deciding when you can declare the belief illegitimate.

OTOH, a cultural belief doesn't magically grant you the right to... colonize an already existing place. By force. "My great, great, great grandparents used to live in this house and we've been persecuted since we got kicked out" doesn't somehow make it right for you to effectively steal the poo poo of someone 15 generations down the line who inherited it.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I should probably clarify, I was pretty loving angry earlier in the morning.

Like, yeah, obviously, there's never any justification for killing civilians. But I was more going for "Hey, take videos on facebook and on the internet that say they're showing wild Palestinean crimes like Rounding Up All the Women for the Rape Camps with a grain of salt until they're confirmed." I absolutely could've been more clear here, and for that, I'm sorry.

I was angry because "Reports and claims of atrocities by the occupied and oppressed towards their occupiers nd oppressed (Especially women)" are pretty loving commonly used to justify all manner of bad poo poo, and I wanted to head that off here, and I'm sorry if that came off as "gently caress those Women," because that wasn't my intention.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Yes, that would be Settler Colonial Movement. Liberia even did all the classic Settler Colonist things and it blew up in the Amero-Liberian minority's faces the same way it blew up for the Settler-Colonialist ethnostates in South Africa and Rhodesia and Israel. And that would've been hard to do because unlike the Jewish Identity, which is tied up with Israel, the African American identity may have ties to Africa but our homeland is the United States of America. We don't have any other place to go: We're culturally distinct enough from African societies that we can't just slot in (And generally face racism from africans who believe American stereotypes about african americans) , and we don't want to go anywhere.

As for the rest of it that "No we're jewish so our settler colonialism is okay" bit -

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

OTOH, a cultural belief doesn't magically grant you the right to... colonize an already existing place. By force. "My great, great, great grandparents used to live in this house and we've been persecuted since we got kicked out" doesn't somehow make it right for you to effectively steal the poo poo of someone 15 generations down the line who inherited it.

This.

Wasabi the J posted:

Sorry, abandoned by*

If we want to get technical, Rhodesia made a Unilateral Declaration of Independence when Britain said that one of the requirements for independence was majority rule. The White Rhodesians said "no" and declared independence unilaterally and dared the British to do something about it.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 8, 2023

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Platystemon posted:

O.K. that looks pretty good, but I’ve read enough about Canadian procurement to know that it’s got to have cost an absurd amount.

you say that like its not true about american procurement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

you say that like its not true about american procurement

Unlike Canadian procurement, a product that generally meets requirements is received on the other end of the process.