Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's basically every 30 mph urban road in the country, unless they've specifically got an exclusion from it. Even before going live it's already annoyed a lot of the non-car-owners it's supposed to benefit because of the potential for loving with the buses. Hard to make up time after a delay if you're limited to 20mph in just about every urban area, and if that makes the services even less reliable even fewer people will use them, and then even fewer routes will be economically viable.

They've also provided essentially zero additional money to enforce it.

goatface fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Rishi Sunak and the Chinese dragon – Armed with his trusty table knife, the prime minister takes on the Chinese Communist party"

Sunday Telegraph:

Keir Starmer vows to strike migrants return deal with EU

Matt:

Triple lock to push state pension past £11,000

Sunday Times:

Mail on Sunday:

“Oh, yes. A very productive meeting, Putin gifted me this lousy rifle and an old cosmonaut’s glove and in return he wants bombs, landmines, fighter jets, drones, ammunition and the name of my hairdresser”

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ella Baron on the public and Russell Brand – The comedian took the stage after rape and sexual assault allegations against him emerged – and received a standing ovation"

Telegraph:

Strictly Come Dancing 2023 Launch, review: A moving homage and tea-time tears for Len Goodman; Sunak has spent £35bn more than I would have, claims Truss

Times:

Doctors blame Rishi Sunak’s ego for striking until government ends

Evening Standard:

Scorn as Truss rejects blame a year on from disastrous mini-budget

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Karan Mehta on Keir Starmer seeking a rewrite of the Brexit deal — The Labour leader says he will pursue a closer trading relationship with the EU"

Telegraph:

Starmer wants ‘closer trading relationship’ with EU if Labour wins power

Matt:

Liz Truss says Mark Carney ‘defensive’ over low economic growth; UK weather: Flooded airport to reopen as half a month’s rain falls in one hour

Times:

Labour: We will weaponise Liz Truss speech defending her legacy

Evening Standard:

Macron talks ‘very constructive and positive’, Starmer says

David Squires:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on problems facing the NHS and the Metropolitan police – As doctor strikes disrupt the health service, it is revealed that more than 1,000 police officers are suspended or on restricted duties"

Telegraph:

"Starmer looked enchanted but this meeting had the air of a hotel one-night stand"

Matt:

American XL bully row as vet chief says dogs will not be culled

Independent:

Macron talks very constructive and positive, Starmer says

Times:

EU bridles at Keir Starmer’s plan to seek ‘much better’ Brexit deal

Evening Standard:

Rishi Sunak pushes new petrol and diesel car ban back to 2035 in major U-turn

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Rishi Sunak’s green retreat – The UK prime minister rolls back key targets designed to help tackle the climate emergency"

Telegraph:

Sunak spares public net zero pain

Matt:

Independent:

Ford and Eon lead furious business backlash to Sunak plan to row back on net zero pledges

Times:

Doctors on strike: government to unveil plans for minimum service levels

Evening Standard:

King calls for courage over tackling climate change in wake of Sunak’s slowdown

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hey, Brookes.

gently caress you.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Rishi Sunak’s green U-turn – The prime minister has aligned himself with rightwing opposition to moves towards net zero"

Telegraph:

Bank of England holds interest rates steady for first time in two years

Matt:

Independent:

After Blazing Saddles.

Times:

Evening Standard:

Voters aren’t talking about Brexit, says Lib Dem leader

Stephen Collins:

That title panel, avatar-sized:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
what's this about nazi elephants now

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the retirement of Rupert Murdoch – The media mogul announced this week that he was stepping down as chair of Fox and News Corp"

Telegraph:

Labour plans ‘fiscal lock’ to prevent repeat of Truss-era market turmoil

Matt:

HS2 Manchester leg faces axe as Rishi Sunak tries to save £35bn

Independent:

After Frantisek Kupka.

The i paper:

Times:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Rishi Sunak saves his job but not the planet – The prime minister jettisons green policies in pursuit of re-election"

Sunday Telegraph:

US will send Ukraine long-range ATACMS missiles, Biden tells Zelensky

Matt:

Sunday Times:

Lib Dems would make green belt a red line in deal with Labour; Lib Dem leader Ed Davey denies housebuilding u-turn

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Rishi Sunak’s assault on green policies and inheritance tax – The prime minister seems to be planning to pass down a burning world to his children"

Telegraph:

Axe looms over HS2 as costs set to soar by £8bn

Times:

What a load of rubbish! Truth behind Rishi Sunak’s ‘seven bins’ and ‘meat tax’ claims

Evening Standard:

Army on standby to fill in after dozens of Met’s armed police downed weapons

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings on Rishi Sunak’s attempts to win over voters – The prime minister is looking at cutting the northern arm of HS2 ahead of the Conservative party conference"

Telegraph:

Lib Dems ‘want to rejoin EU’ – even though Ed Davey says it’s ‘off the table’

Matt:

Times:

After Isambard Kingdom Brunel, Clifton Suspension Bridge.

Evening Standard:

What a load of rubbish! Thousands of bin bags litter London streets as strike extended for two weeks

David Squires:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Rishi Sunak’s precarious future – The prime minister looks unlikely to last past the next general election. How will posterity judge him?"

Telegraph:

Gatwick to restrict flights all week after Covid outbreak

Matt:

Storm Agnes: Britain braces for 75mph winds and heavy rain; Welsh 20mph limit makes buses late and could lead to cuts in services

Independent:

West faces existential threat if global asylum rules not tightened – Braverman

Times:

Lib Dems attack the blue wall to win over home counties voters

Evening Standard:

Donald Trump lied about real worth to secure loans, rules judge

Also! Cartoonists create colouring book for refugees in rebuff to UK government :yaycloud:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ella Baron on the UK’s decision to go ahead with the Rosebank oil field – The decision to extract fossil fuels from a new field in the North Sea has angered environmentalists"

Telegraph:

Joe Biden makes history by joining UAW picket line

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Suella Braverman declares immigration a threat to the West

Evening Standard:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the troubles at GB News – The broadcaster has been criticised this week after an incident on Dan Wootton’s show involving Laurence Fox"

Telegraph:

Private schools won’t have to pass costs of VAT rise on to parents, says Starmer

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Rishi Sunak dodges HS2 route questions on tour before conference

Evening Standard:

The Great British Bake Off review – Alison Hammond’s sheer joy has reinvigorated this show

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Suella Braverman’s refugee comments – The home secretary has been criticised by the UN’s refugee agency after making inflammatory comments this week"

Telegraph:

Five key rows to watch out for at Tory Party conference; Boy arrested after world-famous Robin Hood tree on Hadrian’s Wall felled

Independent:

After JMW Turner.

Times:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Rishi Sunak the helicopter – The prime minister pays a flying visit to Conservative conference"

Sunday Telegraph:

Sunak: 20mph zones can still be introduced by councils under motorists plan

Matt:

Sunday Times:

Mail on Sunday:

Europe WIN the Ryder Cup as Rory McIlroy and Jon Rahm lead Luke Donald's side to victory while the USA fall short of producing a sensational comeback in Rome

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings on the Conservative party conference – The Tory faithful were gathering in Manchester on Sunday for an event widely regarded as a test of faith in their leader, Rishi Sunak"

Telegraph:

"Lame jokes and poor puns, welcome to carry on conference"

Times:

Rishi Sunak expected to block new 20mph zones

Evening Standard:

Go further on housebuilding and lift fracking ban to restore Tory values – Truss

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the Conservative party conference – Rishi Sunak, Suella Braverman, Lee Anderson and Liz Truss belt out their tunes to the party faithful"

Telegraph:

"Crowd-pleaser Truss has made a once implausible comeback a distinct possibility"

Matt:

Water bills will rise by 35pc in biggest hike ever to fix sewage crisis

Times:

Tax cuts can revive party values and end stagnation, says Truss

Evening Standard:

Rishi Sunak set to scrap HS2 Manchester leg as Tory mayor leads backlash

David Squires:

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the Conservative party conference – Rishi Sunak, Suella Braverman, Lee Anderson and Liz Truss belt out their tunes to the party faithful"

Awful

'nothin but a lee thing baby/GB is the channel that pays me' is right there

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Tory shunts – Myriad factors have conspired to derail the Conservative party conference in Manchester"

Telegraph:

Sunak poised to scrap HS2 between Birmingham and Manchester

Matt:

Times:

Evening Standard:

"Rishi Sunak can be the candidate of change (if you ignore the last 13 years)"

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Rishi Sunak’s decision to scrap HS2 leg – The prime minister announced in his party conference speech that the Birmingham-Manchester section would not be built"

Telegraph:

Sunak unveils ‘Network North’ to replace HS2

Matt:

Sunak considering total ban on cigarettes for future generations

Independent:

After Albert Brichaut.

Times:

Evening Standard:

David Cameron slams Rishi Sunak for scrapping HS2 Northern leg in rare intervention; Cricket World Cup: Rachin Ravindra and Devon Conway hit tons as New Zealand hammer England in opener

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Rishi Sunak’s support for motorists – The prime minister backs drivers’ freedom to pollute, while proposing a ban on smoking for young people"

Telegraph:

Liz Truss to vote against Sunak’s ‘illiberal anti-conservative’ smoking ban

Matt:

The Paris infestation of bed bugs could be coming to the UK – here’s what you need to do

Independent:

Times:

Rishi Sunak won’t repeat Suella Braverman’s migrant ‘hurricane’ claim

Evening Standard:

Sir Keir Starmer hails ‘big step’ towards Number 10 after Rutherglen and Hamilton West by-election win

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
starmer just wiping his feet on the saltire there :scotland:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on a bigger problem than HS2 for Rishi Sunak – The prime minister has got his way with HS2, but Labour’s resurgence in Scotland will cause him to worry"

Telegraph:

'SNP wipeout' possible after seismic Labour by-election win, says Scottish Tory

Matt:

Independent:

After Gustave Caillebotte and Lennon-McCartney

Times:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Rishi Sunak sends Britain’s long-term projects up in flames – HS2, A levels and smoking are consigned to the dustbin before the general election"

Sunday Telegraph:

"Labour must now set out its plans for Britain"

Matt:

Treasury in talks with Bank of England as Metro Bank seeks emergency cash

Sunday Times:

Mail on Sunday:

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

We already knew you regard refugees as vermin mac you fascist oval office

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ella Baron on conflict in Israel and the Gaza Strip – There have been heavy civilian casualties on both sides after a weekend of fighting"

Telegraph:

"Labour’s spending habits are no match for Britain’s fiscal straitjacket"

Times:

Evening Standard:

When is the Labour Party Conference 2023? Key dates and what to expect; Big Brother returns to British TV after five year break

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Britain’s commitment to net zero - The UK is dragging its feet on moving to a net zero economy – worsening the climate crisis, according to the IPCC"

Not the Guardian:
https://twitter.com/BellBelltoons/status/1711479539191214202

Telegraph:

Starmer: I have plans for a decade in power

Matt:

Tory strategists rule out early general election

Times:

Evening Standard:

Reports of anti-Semitic incidents have tripled since Israel attacks, says charity

David Squires:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Middle East crisis – Violence continues to escalate in Israel and Gaza"

Telegraph:

"Who is Keir Starmer? A man without charisma or policies"

Matt:

Concern grows over bedbugs on London’s trains and buses

Independent:

The five key moments in Keir Starmer’s speech

Times:

Evening Standard:

Security questions after Starmer’s speech interrupted by glitter protest

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Sarah Akinterinwa on Keir Starmer – The Labour leader’s manifesto may need a bit of glitter too"

Telegraph:

Labour Party conference live: Call general election now and let UK 'choose the change it needs', Labour tell Sunak

Matt:

Luton Airport car park may have to be demolished after major fire

Independent:

Braverman doubles down on ‘woke’ police crackdown: ‘People want officers on streets not policing pronouns’

Times:

Evening Standard:

UK economy returns to growth but remains stuck in the slow lane; ‘It’s like Covid with legs’ — how the Paris bedbug outbreak sparked a London frenzy

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the deadly cycle of violence in the Middle East – Families seek refuge and safety amid the ongoing crisis" After MC Escher.

Telegraph:

Matt:

How Starmer’s ‘grey belt’ housing plan aims to redraw the map of Britain

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

New Royal Mint coins celebrate the King’s passion for nature and wildlife

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings on the innocent people caught up in the Israel-Gaza war – Pressure mounts in advance of the anticipated ground invasion"

Telegraph:

Politics latest news: Labour support rises to almost double that of Tories after Keir Starmer speech

Matt:

Don’t jail rapists and burglars – our prisons are too full, judges told

Independent:

After JF Millet.

The i paper:

Times:

Bonus! Morland's animated cartoon

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Keir Starmer’s fragile cargo – The Labour leader hopes to carry ‘blue-wall’ voters across the line at the general election"

Sunday Telegraph:

Matt:

Sunday Times:

Rishi Sunak’s approval rating fell to record low after party conferences

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Steve Bell got fired.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

goatface posted:

Steve Bell got fired.

what the gently caress

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the deadly cycle of violence in the Middle East – Families seek refuge and safety amid the ongoing crisis" After MC Escher.

Probably gonna get a probe for this, but with Bell's cartoons - and Gerald Scarfe's - the criticism is that red liquid is depicted anywhere near a Jewish (or ostensibly Jewish in the case of Jennings' drawings of IDF troops here) because critics think it's connected to the historical accusation of Jewish people using blood in their Passover bread. Spilt red ink was accused of being blood in the removed Bell cartoon about Richard Sharp, etc. Jennings also gets away with a giant Israeli flag, which Bell has caught flack for before - depicting on-again-off-again Prime Minister Netanyahu surrounded by flags, literally copying a televised address of Netanyahu surrounded by, guess what, flags of Israel.

So why isn't Jennings getting fired for this image of Jews with blood and Israeli flags? Presumably because he Both Sides the issue. If Bell wasn't so sympathetic for Palestinians, he'd still be drawing for the Graun.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:staredog: Steve Bell sacked by Guardian in antisemitism row over Netanyahu cartoon :smithcloud:

Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings on the warning leaflets and bombs falling on Gaza – Munitions don’t distinguish between terrorists and civilians"

Telegraph:

Putin compares Israel actions to Nazi Germany

Times:

Evening Standard:

George Chesterton: "Sound of silence on attacks is disturbing"
Bonus? Christian Adams: "The Steve Bell cartoon row is the Guardian’s own fault"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just heard about steve bell. the graud has lost their loving minds

rip to a master